Author Topic: Fortnite gets its own battle royale mode  (Read 7463 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Fortnite gets its own battle royale mode
« on: Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 07:51:47 AM »

We knew stuff like this would happen once PUBG blew up. I guess Fortnite is going to eventually be free to play? That could make this interesting. I also like the idea of building stuff and setting traps.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Fortnite gets its own battle royale mode
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 09:03:28 AM »
Oh no.. Characters have levels though! You're going to come up against players with wildly higher leveled characters who will just dominate you!

Hopefully, they'll have a "no level benefits" mode or something.

I know it's in early access but the gunplay in Fortnite really sucks. I mean, it's very primitive.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 02:19:42 PM »
Oh, that sucks. Guess we'll see what they do to make it work.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, September 20, 2017, 12:52:39 PM »
Fortnite BR will be free Sept 26th

I got an email that said since I had played the Unreal Tournament beta they are giving me access now. Will download and report my findings. Watched some streamers play and picked up a few things. Characters don't level in this mode, you're all the same at the start of a match. the only "levels" are that of the weapons you find, kind of a color coded rarity level like WoW. Building stuff and breaking stuff is kind of cool and different.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, September 21, 2017, 12:30:07 PM »
I've played a few matches so time for impressions! Keep in mind my frame of reference is 160+ hours of PUBG.

Players have shields, but you don't start with any. If you find these blue "potions" and drink them you will get 50 shield. Max is 100. Shields are almost like an extra health bar and will deplete before your health does. The shield things seem much rarer than healing items. If you are outside the circle the damage dealt ignores your shield and hits your health directly.

There are 2 healing items that I've seen, bandages and med kits. Bandages are like PUBG and heal a small portion of health. Same timer to "use" the bandage but the healing is instant so you can spam them without missing out on heals. Also like PUBG healing with bandages will max out at 75. Med kits are a full 100% heal and I believe the only way to get back to 100.

Inventory is...weird. You have 6 inventory slots, but one is always the pickaxe. The other 5 can be whatever you pick up...weapons, shield potions, or healing items. Shield potions you should just use right away unless you're already at 100. But you will have to decide how much inventory you want dedicated to weapons and healing items.

The actual looting part of the game is also weird. Coming from pubg where you have a couple ammo types, various guns that all take various attachments, it seems like it would be more confusing than Fortnite. But at least in PUBG you can bring up your inventory to sort out the stuff you find on the ground. This doesn't appear to be the case in Fortnite so when you kill someone it's like a Diablo-style loot pinata. They might have a better gun you want, so you need to switch to whatever gun you no longer want, pick out the new gun in this big pile and pick it up to swap it. Was your old gun full of ammo? Too bad, that ammo just goes with it. It all feels more complicated than it needs to be.

But hey, its still early. Hopefully they work on that a bit. Otherwise the game runs great, looks great (I love the day/night cycle), and is pretty fun.

EDIT:

Some other things I'm noticing.

Circle movement is way more obvious. Timer pops up on screen telling you how long until it moves, with a noise. Another notification with noise when it starts moving, plus the timer switches to show you how long it will take until it closes. Really nice.

Matches also seem to be super fast. Smaller map means people are running into each other constantly so deaths happen frequently. I've been in top 20 in like, 5 minutes.
« Last Edit: Thursday, September 21, 2017, 10:59:58 PM by idolminds »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, September 26, 2017, 04:04:36 PM »
Free for everyone now, if anyone is interested in checking it out. I didnt realize how advanced some of the building could be until I saw this video

Pretty awesome. Of course in battle royale mode you likely won't have time to screw with all of it and mostly just throwing up walls to block bullets. But its still pretty cool.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #6 on: Friday, October 27, 2017, 04:49:04 PM »
The game got a nice update this week. Some halloween event stuff, which is all cosmetic. The storm side of the circle is actually a storm over there. Get caught in it and the wind picks up, rain falls, lightning flashes. Its really cool.

A new item pickup called "slurp juice" is a heal/shield over time. So before you just had bandages that could get you up to 75hp, med kit that got you to 100, and shield potions that gave you 50 shield each up to 100 max. Slurp juice gives you 1hp and 1 shield ever second for 25 seconds. Lets you top up without using a full med kit plus gives a bit of shield.

Leader boards have also been added and I think they handled it in an interesting way. You are placed in a "division" of 50 active players. You only compete against them for your leader board ranking in solo, duo, and squad. Most wins and most Top X finishes Each week you will be placed in a new division. I think this is a cool way to do leader boards because lets face it, most people will never come close to the top spot. PUBG leader board is topped by cheaters and streamers. Here, though, you might actually get a chance to rate fairly well in your division. And that feels good. Oh yeah you also have a friends only leader board which is nice too.

Another nice thing are daily quests. This is something I thought about when playing PUBG and hoped to see. When playing PUBG is really easy to have several matches where you either die right away, or you loot up and then get killed by the first person you see. Or don't see. It's feels frustrating because the only goal in the game is "Win vs 99 others". Fortnite now as daily quests which are a kind of progression that takes a bit of the frustration away. I had "Kill 10 opponents" and "Kill 5 opponents with the SMG". I didn't get any SMG kills (SMG suuuucks) but over the course of several games I managed to get my 10 kills. It was nice because getting into a match and killing one opponent...boom, I was happy. This match is a success no matter where I end up placing. Another quest is "Survive 200 people" which doesn't require you to do anything other than not be the first person to die in a match.

You earn XP from quests and depending on your final placement in a match. XP levels up your character and you get some cosmetic stuff at levels 10 and 25 I guess. Dunno, haven't gotten that far. So that too even gives you just a little something even if you can't win a match.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #7 on: Monday, October 30, 2017, 06:38:37 AM »
I won my first solo game! Managed to catch all my kills in my 10 minute recording so I didn't have to do any editing, heh. Didn't see anyone until the first kill here. I got really lucky finding all the shield potions I did. Being able to keep my shield topped up definitely helped. I also noticed on watching it back that the 3rd guy I kill dropped 8 rockets that I missed picking up. That could have been really useful at the end but luckily I didn't need it. Anyway, enjoy some action packed gameplay!

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: Monday, October 30, 2017, 02:40:38 PM »
So that's what it's about.  The circle keeps closing in, until survivors get thrown together.  I was entertained while eating a banana with peanut butter.  Nice!  I think I'd get slaughtered.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #9 on: Monday, October 30, 2017, 04:08:23 PM »
Yeah, thats the basic Battle Royale setup. PUBG is the same but more realistic setting.

Man I rewatched this today and realized I was wasting rockets firing at the tower to my left. The person building over there blew themselves up and I didn't notice. The last 2 people were the one building on my left and the last guy was up on the mountain. Lucky for me he didn't have a sniper rifle or that would have ended differently.

Also don't think that was all skill, it was a lot of luck. Rocket launchers are kinda OP so that helped me secure a few kills. I found 4 shield potions which essentially let me double my health and keep it topped up. I do OK for myself just creeping around, making it to top 25 isn't terribly hard if you avoid main areas most of the match.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, January 18, 2018, 10:23:20 PM »
A couple things have happened in Fortnite since the last post, so thought I'd update.

Epic adds stuff to this game constantly. Feels like every week something is added. We now have new silenced SMGs and silenced pistols. Mini shield potions got added so its easier to have and keep shields over the course of a match. Traps got changed so its just spike traps but can be placed on floors, walls, and ceilings. Jump pad got added that lets you launch into the air and deploy your glider, good for outrunning the storm or dropping into enemy bases from above. I don't remember when it was added but there is also a bush costume you can wear to look like a bush and hide.

They've added an in-game store with cosmetic items to buy, but they are really expensive. New since December is what they call the "Battle Pass". It was the cost of a skin, but allows you to unlock a whole bunch of cosmetic items. Several skins, emotes, dances, etc. As you play you gain XP, which levels up your account and each level will give you some "stars". Completing daily quests also earns stars. Every 10 stars unlocks a level of the battle pass, with 70 total levels.  It was only $10 for the season so I bought in considering I havent spent any money on the game before and have been enjoying it. Seemed pretty reasonable.

Now the big update that happened today was kind of a double whammy. First they added level streaming to the game so now only the area around you is loaded. This greatly improves performance and load times, which is crazy because it already ran and loaded pretty quickly for me. This also allowed them to update the map to make each area more unique. Areas now have custom textures and trees so there is more visual variety as you run around. Many new major and minor points of interest now dot the map including a large city full of tall buildings, a junkyard, a motel, a haunted church, underground mines, etc. Its great and is almost like getting a whole new map.

Special time limited modes have been tested. 50v50 was the first where 2 massive teams face off. It was a lot of fun. High Explosive where the only weapons that spawn were rocket launchers and grenade launchers. And a Sneaky Silencer mode where the new silenced weapons were all you could find. More are on their way and its a fun way to break up the game.

There was also a new shooting model mode that went up accidentally but will come back to be tested. Right now the way the guns work is with "bloom". Put your crosshair on someone and shoot, the bullet will go that way but there is some variation. This feels ok because its kind of like recoil and allows you to keep your crosshair where you want it, but the downside is it's random. Sometimes you'll have your crosshair on someone and just miss every shot. The new shooting model will change that so weapons instead will have recoil that moves your crosshair. More shots will go where you're aiming but it will take some skill to constantly adjust to the recoil. Not sure when that will come up for testing and we'll see when it gets added permanently as the new shooting model but that will be a fairly drastic change.

Anyway, game is rad. Ive been playing a lot because of the battle pass and have come to really enjoy it. I've gotten a good number of wins playing solo now which feels pretty good.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, January 28, 2018, 07:47:01 PM »
Doing my dailies (only a week left until I unlock the black knight skin!) and things were going ok-ish. I was making progress but a few games ended in a frustrating manner. The weapon bloom when shooting screwed me over a few times, only needed 1 more hit to kill and every shot misses. Eventually my quests are done except for one which was just "Play 7 matches" of which I had already played 6. So one more game I went full YOLO and dropped into a busy location figuring I'd die quickly.

I end up going on a rampage and winning the match with 10 kills, a new personal record.

Unfortunately I wasn't recording that one because I thought it would be a quick death/nothing game. I need to just record every time because you never know.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #12 on: Monday, January 29, 2018, 10:52:37 PM »
Nice. You're gettin all pro.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, February 01, 2018, 12:07:24 AM »
Won 2 games tonight, and one was while testing AMDs video recording so I got the whole thing!

Uh, sorry about the weird clicky audio. Not sure what thats from, it didnt make that sound when I was playing. Ill have to look into it. Also I keep forgetting to turn off my network HUD so enjoy that.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, July 17, 2018, 09:12:55 PM »
I've been playing this game quite a bit lately thanks to the battle pass they offer. You get daily and weekly quests that help you level up the pass and unlock cosmetics. It's not a bad system except sometimes it makes the game feel more like a chore you have to take care of and something you need to play so you aren't "missing out" on progress.

There are two progress tracks. The Battle Pass you level up with "stars" that you get from challenges and from the other track which is Account Level. The account level resets every season and is XP based, which you earn from getting kills, your match placement, etc.

Basically all the Battle Pass rewards are unlocked with the battle pass track, so collecting stars is the higher priority with the account level just sort of pushing that along (you get 2 stars per level unless the level ends in a 5 or 0 which gets you 5 or 10 stars, respectively). However last season they tied a couple rewards to your account level. You could "upgrade" certain skins to have more armor parts with the final upgrade being customizable light colors. This sucked. I got to level 65 by the end of the season which was enough to unlock one skins color options but the final one was level 80. To give you some idea in the XP required, level 62 was only half way to level 80. And I played every day and completed every challenge along the way.

I had no hope of hitting 80 so when I hit 65 2 weeks before the end of the season I just stopped playing. Needed a break after I did a bit of grinding there for 65 and was worn out. Got to play some other stuff for a change. I had to go out of town the day before season 5 launched so I missed that first week. The weird thing is...I don't really feel like playing.

I still like the game but I'm enjoying not feeling any pressure to play since I don't have the battle pass. And if I get frustrated by the game I can just quit and not feel like I have to power through to get my daily done or whatever. The new map updates are really cool. The swamp area has been completely changed into a desert biome, and the north farm has been turned into a golf course. 4 seat golf carts are now available to drive your squad around in. I feel like I should be excited and playing a bunch but...eh, I kinda just dont want to.

Amazing what a short break can do. Guess its a good thing since Yakuza and Monster Hunter release next month anyway.

EDIT: I should mention that this season they changed the way those skin upgrades are unlocked. Its still XP based, and its a lot of XP, but there is no cutoff point like the end of the season. Those unlocks are just a matter of time and dont punish you if you cant play as much in any particular season.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, July 18, 2018, 06:21:38 AM »
That puts a real face on what I watched here (till 5:55; warning: Jim Sterling).  I guess they realized making it such a chore would drive regulars away, and so they took away the time window to get unlocks?  I know that compulsion to stick with a game well beyond my enjoyment of it as well.  I can imagine how much worse it would be if money, and status within a community are at stake.

While I haven't played any Battle Royale, I've been following how much of a craze it has become.  No surprise that other games are getting some form of it shoehorned in.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, July 19, 2018, 05:31:11 PM »
The other problem I'm finding with the battle pass challenges is they are recycling the same "challenges" over and over again. Every week theres "Get 3 kills in <NAMED LOCATION>", "Deal X Damage with <WEAPON>", "Get X Kills with <WEAPON>", "Search 7 chests in <NAMED LOCATION>", etc plus maybe 1 or 2 that are new features added for the current season. Its been like that for all the seasons so far. I understand that creating new challenges is difficult because there is only so much you actually do in the game but they arent interesting anymore. Again, a chore that you merely get done because you have to not because you want to.