Author Topic: Woldenstein II "controversy"  (Read 3059 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Woldenstein II "controversy"
« on: Friday, October 06, 2017, 10:35:57 AM »
We all know Wolfenstein. You kill nazis in those games. Thats the whole point. But we now apparently live in a time where that is controversial with certain people.

The latest flare up started with this tweet. "Make America Nazi-Free Again. #NoMoreNazis #Wolf2" and a short video of Nazis marching with the words "Not My America".

So while that is obviously tapping into current events, it helps to remember that games take years to make. They had no idea nazis would be marching in the streets in 2017, but here we are. Fighting against nazis shouldn't be a controversial stance...but here we are. Thankfully, Bethesda isn't backing down.

"Wolfenstein has been a decidedly anti-Nazi series since the first release more than 20 years ago. We aren't going to shy away from what the game is about. We don't feel it's a reach for us to say Nazis are bad and un-American, and we're not worried about being on the right side of history here."

"[In the game] freeing America is the first step to freeing the world," says Hines. "So the idea of #NoMoreNazis in America is, in fact, what the entire game (and franchise) is about. Our campaign leans into that sentiment, and it unfortunately happens to highlight current events in the real world."

"In Wolfenstein's case, it's pure coincidence that Nazis are marching in the streets of America this year. And it's disturbing that the game can be considered a controversial political statement at all."
 The marketing, particularly the #NoMoreNazis tagline, has caused a stir and prompted complaints about both the game and Bethesda via social media, but Hines defends the marketing message.
 "This is what our game is about," he says. "It's what this franchise has always been about. We aren't afraid to embrace what BJ stands for and what Wolfenstein represents. When it comes to Nazis, you can put us down in the 'against' column."
Good on them. Be direct. Fuck nazis.

Offline PyroMenace

Re: Woldenstein II "controversy"
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, October 07, 2017, 12:48:31 AM »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Friday, October 13, 2017, 05:33:07 PM »
I do love this. And am very glad Bethesda stuck to their guns.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, October 15, 2017, 03:54:05 PM »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #4 on: Friday, October 20, 2017, 07:00:48 AM »
I'd love to pick this up on launch, but I can't really justify the cost, especially since I'd like to get and finish the first one on PC (have it without expansion for PS4). Hoping for a Halloween sale.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, April 28, 2018, 10:47:36 PM »
PC Gamer with a History of Wolfenstein series and being licensed out to different developers over the years:
https://www.pcgamer.com/the-history-of-wolfenstein/

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, July 20, 2019, 06:19:29 PM »
After almost 16 hours approximately, Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus (PC / XBox for PC Game Pass) is in the books as completed.

And it was fantastic!

MachineGames really nailed this one.

With a bat-crap crazy narrative & crazy missions (some of this feels right out of a B-movie...and I won't spoil this stuff here); really good voice-acting; edgy content (where to begin on some of this stuff?); and a game that is just tons of fun and is relentless in every way - it's hard to argue really against this one.

It's a blast!

It feels like Doom 2016's brother, more or less, with such great gunplay & technical performance. But actually, replace demons here with Nazis; and replace Doom's universe w/ the Wolfenstein universe (with now sci-fi elements and robots); with a much better & crazier narrative (since it really attempts to go for the jugular at this stuff and succeeds).

It's another overall great shooter that I've had the pleasure of playing this year, along w/ Metro: Exodus & Far Cry 5. And it certainly is a really awesome follow-up to the awesome Wolfenstein: The New Order.

If you loved DOOM 2016; Wolfenstein: The New Order; and/or bad-ass FPS's in general - you owe it to yourself to play this one.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, July 20, 2019, 10:50:01 PM »
I really want to play this.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, July 21, 2019, 06:26:21 AM »
I really want to play this.

If you have a decent PC - yeah, it's part of the XBox for PC Game Pass.

$1 for an introduction month for XBox for PC Game Pass.
$5 per month while it's still in Beta, after that 1st month.
$10 per month, once it's out of Beta (supposedly, Beta ends this Fall or Winter).

To own Wolfenstein: TNC (Base) on PC, looks like cheapest it has been without Season Pass is around $14 or so, according to ITAD:
https://isthereanydeal.com/game/wolfensteiniinewcolossus/info/