Author Topic: I bought a Samsung 50'' 4K HDTV today  (Read 8010 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
I bought a Samsung 50'' 4K HDTV today
« on: Friday, November 17, 2017, 06:07:00 PM »
So, yeah - see thread title: I bought a Samsung 50'' 4K HDTV today.

This thing's a boss. I'm really liking this; much better than my previous Samsung 1080p TV that I bought last year (which I loved, BTW).

Even comes with HDR+, also - which really makes the picture pop and look much brighter.

Like many 2017 Samsung HDTV's, it comes w/ a Steam Link support inside the Samsung TV. Sign-up for Samsung account (if you haven't); sign into Samsung Account on HDTV; Download Steamlink app from SmartHub on your TV; start the app; sign into Steam on a device (tablet, laptop PC, desktop PC, etc) nearby the TV - boom, all good to go and stream your PC to HDTV with no cables.

MK XL runs and looks great at 4K here on this big HDTV. No need for HDMI 2.0 cables or anything. Framerate dips of 0.16% frames, is what the TV's Steam-Link Test said. How minimal.

So, what does everybody have here for their HDTV? What brand? What resolution?

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: I bought a Samsung 50'' 4K HDTV today
« Reply #1 on: Friday, November 17, 2017, 06:53:01 PM »
I think mine (well, my brother bought it) is a samsung? Maybe? Id have to go look and Im too lazy right now. Only like 27", nothing fancy.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Friday, November 17, 2017, 08:15:35 PM »
I think mine (well, my brother bought it) is a samsung? Maybe? Id have to go look and Im too lazy right now. Only like 27", nothing fancy.
Cool. :)
Samsung puts out really good TV's, to say the least.

I basically swapped-out my Samsung 48'' 1080p TV for this Samsung 50'' 4K HDTV.
A real steal at $400 (before tax).

I have a 28'' Samsung 4K monitor connected to my desktop PC - and yeah, I also love that. I sit pretty much right in front of that.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Friday, November 17, 2017, 09:46:34 PM »
Fancy!  I have a Samsung.  It's 10 years old, 23", IPS panel, 768p.  :P  Still works as well as ever, though--except the remote.  That thing's a mess.  It's the worst remote I've ever had, for anything.  Needs an aiming scope to hit the TV sensor well enough, half the buttons need a vise grip to respond, and I get an "MTS Stereo" false signal about every 5th button press.  That last one is just old age, but this clicker was always lousy, even when new.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, November 18, 2017, 10:18:10 AM »
@Cobra

I wasn't fond of the Smart Hub on my previous 1080p TV. Seemed slow and I didn't like the browser, whatever the hell it was, Samsung put with it. It just won't do videos, Adobe Flash, or anything either at all or other types wouldn't just play well. The remote and Smart Hub wasn't responsive, either.

Now, I'm using the hell out of the The Samsung Smart Hub on this new 4K TV; it's great. It runs well, looks good, and I also actually like the new Samsung Web Browser b/c it works very well. Totally digging it.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, November 23, 2017, 08:59:54 PM »
I am rocking a 55 inch Panasonic plasma.  From the last year they were manufactured.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, November 23, 2017, 09:37:36 PM »
I've also got a Panasonic plasma from toward the end of them. 45 inch. It has served me very well.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: Friday, November 24, 2017, 09:24:48 AM »
Has OLED taken off yet?  Because it's the only tech I know of that can fully replace Plasma.  Self-emissive pixels are the holy grail here.  Backlighting will never measure up to that.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, November 25, 2017, 11:27:13 AM »
Fancy!  I have a Samsung.  It's 10 years old, 23", IPS panel, 768p.  :P  Still works as well as ever, though--except the remote.  That thing's a mess.  It's the worst remote I've ever had, for anything.  Needs an aiming scope to hit the TV sensor well enough, half the buttons need a vise grip to respond, and I get an "MTS Stereo" false signal about every 5th button press.  That last one is just old age, but this clicker was always lousy, even when new.

eBay a new remote for $10 I think.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, November 26, 2017, 10:42:46 AM »
Mm?  Didn't think of that.  The first thing I'd need to do is find the model name/number of this TV.  Maybe I'll rummage for the docs on it.  I know I stashed them somewhere.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, November 28, 2017, 07:08:51 PM »
Alternatively you could invest in a Logitech Harmony remote.  A friend gave me a spare 880 he had a few years back with the dock and such.  it finally died and I just went out and bought the near-base 50 dollar model.  Thing does everything I need it to and more.  And it's so nice to just have one remote to find instead of 8

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, November 29, 2017, 06:37:56 AM »
I programmed the Dish remote to operate the basic functions--power, mute and volume.  But there seems to be some nonstandard repeat pattern in the TV's IR encoding, which makes response dodgy.  The red led blinks on the TV, so I know it's receiving IR, but it doesn't act accordingly every time, and volume needs one click per level to go up or down.  The Dish remote is strong, dependable, the very opposite of the Samsung.  Another just like it has no trouble handling the same functions on the TV in the basement (Hitachi, I think.)  So I'm afraid buying a full-featured programmable remote might be a waste of money.  Then again, something more modern might handle whatever the hell weirdness my TV has going on with IR.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, November 30, 2017, 08:44:14 PM »
I have a ten year old (at least) Samsung 42" LCD that was given to me a few years ago because I was in the middle of a move and my old Plasma monitor died.  I think about buying a new OLED but it's so hard to justify when there's nothing really wrong with the thing.  My monitor is about the same age though so who knows, I could just really be missing out on what life could be like.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, November 30, 2017, 09:26:56 PM »
What I've read since I posted above is that OLEDs are really sensitive to burn-in.  If that's the case, then they're not a good choice for a computer or console display.  I know Plasma can burn in too, but the newer ones were less susceptible.  Something to keep in mind.

Also, WTF happened to my avatar image's aspect ratio.  My guy's head is squashed now.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, December 02, 2017, 03:36:00 PM »
Mine suffers from a little (hopefully temporary) burn in.  I was real sensitive about it when I first purchased it.  Not so much now.

I dunno I'm happy with it.  once it goes I'm not real sure what I'll do.  I've sort of imagined a TVless household but that'll never fly with the wife and I'll miss my consoles.