Author Topic: I Need Speakers  (Read 6337 times)

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
I Need Speakers
« on: Saturday, November 04, 2017, 04:50:39 PM »
Ok, long story short, I've moved again (third place in 2 years) and I need speakers for my tv. My last roommates (my best friends) told me my tv was loud at night, it didn't bother them because they could only hear it when they were outside my door. This new place is smaller and my tv is right next to the wall where my other roommate's room lies. He hasn't said anything, but I'm afraid to turn up the tv, I can barely hear it.

Anyways, I have an older Emerson, non-smart tv. Are there any speakers that you guys can recommend that I can put closer to me so that I can hear the tv and not my roommate?

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: I Need Speakers
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, November 05, 2017, 10:42:34 AM »
The key is in the equalization.  Low frequencies go through most walls like they aren't there.  High frequencies get mostly blocked.  Speech is in the 600-3KHz range.  Depressing the low-mid range (300-600 Hz) somewhat and the low end (<300 Hz) even more with an equalizer will go a long way in keeping your sound in your room.  You can boost the speech range as well.  What you want is intelligible speech without a lot of loud thumps and bangs.  Compressing the audio dynamic range (self-adjusting volume) helps a lot too.

I guess what I'm saying is that the speakers alone aren't going to do the job.  The only foolproof method is headphones.  I've gotten to like subtitles a lot.

Edit:  I've had these 2.1 Logitechs for years.  They're very clear, and not expensive.  They're also built to last--no problems for a decade, not even a scratchy volume knob.  Scouting around a bit, I see that they've changed a lot since I bought mine, so I can't point you at what I have, or know for sure if they're still as good (or better).  I don't know what you're looking for.  Anything with massive bass drivers is going to be a problem in a shared-space situation.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, November 05, 2017, 11:57:58 AM »
I also watch a lot of YouTube, most of the videos don't have captions. I watch them on Netflix though.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, November 07, 2017, 12:57:31 AM »
Yeah, I've got a pair of cheap Logitechs also. Something like that would do the job, and you could put them closer to you, away from walls and such, which would help.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, November 26, 2017, 08:42:47 AM »
He says he sleeps like a rock and can't hear anything, so I'm not going to worry about it.