Author Topic: More Underrated/Forgotten Games  (Read 1791 times)

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
More Underrated/Forgotten Games
« on: Wednesday, January 31, 2018, 04:32:13 PM »
I'm sure we all have games that almost no one else has played, but personally you loved them. Hell, I'm sure there are games you loved, but it seemed like you were the only one that felt that way. Anyways, what are some of your favorite forgotten or under appreciated games? I actually started writing this months ago and was going to make it a big detailed post. However, I got lazy, so here you go.

Kingin: Life of Crime (PC) - So this isn't a bad game, but its not particularly good either. Actually, except for the cursing, nothing really sets this game apart from any other game. You basically just need to get to the end of the level, thats it. You can upgrade weapons and hire two goons to follow you around to help you kill enemies. I played this game when I was about 15, its mostly on here for nostalgia reasons because its a very average game.

Kingdoms of Amalur : Reckoning -  I absolutely adore this game! This game has a certain "je ne sais quoi" about it that makes it an amazing game. Its not the kind of game where ou sit down and play it for hours on end, but you will come to it every few days and knock out a quest or two. There is nothing complex about this game at all, everything is very simple, but it does everything well. It will be compared to Skyrim...and I actually like this game better. You can do a lot of cool stuff from the beginning, yet you won't be overpowered (I would still play on hard though). Did I mention this game also has over 200 hours of gameplay?

This game has an interesting development story behind it, but play the game before you look into that.

Avalon Code: One of a kind DS game that was highly underrated and forgotten about. You can barely find a video about it on YouTube.

Gothic 4: Definitely wet behind the ears, but a lot of fun. I'm playing on hard because it looks kinda easy on normal.

Diggles - Myth of Fenris: The best way I can describe this game is an RTS game mixed with The Sims. You literally raise your army
of underground, troll looking things from birth. You match your Diggles with a mate and the attributes of each
carry over to the baby. I really love this game, but the camera and execution really hurt this game. I played it a few years ago, but had to find
an obscure forum that gave me instructions on how to get it working on Windows 7. If there is ever a digital sale, pick it up.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: More Underrated/Forgotten Games
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, January 31, 2018, 07:37:51 PM »
Diggles was fun. It's wonky, which can make it frustrating, and I have no idea if they ever fixed it. I reviewed it aaages ago on AOG. But it was a neat thing.

Kingpin ... was a time and place thing. It's nothing special these days, and even then it was basically just competent as a shooter, but it's fucking quotable as hell. To this day I have friends I will just walk up to and say, "Yo man, you got a dolla?" And the instant response from them is, "Nah I ain't got a dolla." Aaaand then I have to come back with, "Get back to me when you got a dolla, huh?"

I even immortalized it on Youtube:

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, January 31, 2018, 09:39:14 PM »
Moonbase Commander! I know we have a few people here that got into it but man that was a great game. Turn based top-down base building but instead of just selecting where to place things you had to launch them like a Worms missile. Pick direction, hit the power at the right moment to get it to land where you need. Each building is connected to the building it launched from by a trail of lights and destroying a hub would also destroy anything launched from that hub. So not only did you want to expand but you also had to be sure to cover your lines and protect your hubs.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: Friday, February 02, 2018, 09:58:04 AM »
Diggles was fun. It's wonky, which can make it frustrating, and I have no idea if they ever fixed it. I reviewed it aaages ago on AOG. But it was a neat thing.

Kingpin ... was a time and place thing. It's nothing special these days, and even then it was basically just competent as a shooter, but it's fucking quotable as hell. To this day I have friends I will just walk up to and say, "Yo man, you got a dolla?" And the instant response from them is, "Nah I ain't got a dolla." Aaaand then I have to come back with, "Get back to me when you got a dolla, huh?"

I even immortalized it on Youtube:

I had the Kingpin demo disc from PC Gamer (I think?). I must've played it a hundred times when I finally figured out it needed OpenGL to run. When I couldn't find the full game anywhere, I "obtained" it, but the textures where named wrong. I went through every texture and renamed it, still didn't work. I found it at EBGames and several years later. Nothing really special, but I've never tried so hard to just play a game and fail.

Moonbase Commander? I'll have to check it out.