Author Topic: Looking to buy a new TV  (Read 5287 times)

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Looking to buy a new TV
« on: Saturday, September 15, 2018, 06:04:42 PM »
I'm looking to buy a new tv sometime soon.  I mean, I don't really NEED to but my current one is 10 years old (https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LN46A550-46-Inch-1080p-Model/dp/B0014175E8) and I'd kinda like to mount it at my office.   

I don't watch a ton of TV and my game playing has dropped dramatically but I figure I'd probably hold on to this one for like ten years as well so I'd like to have some level of future proofing.  I also don't want to spend a ton of money because, like I said, I don't actually use it all that much.   I'd aim for 4K and HDR but beyond that I don't really know what to look for.  Couldn't care less about smart features (would actually rather not have them), and while I do love the contrast and pop of OLED screens, I don't love the price.  Anyone have any ideas on what I should care about here?

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: Looking to buy a new TV
« Reply #1 on: Monday, September 17, 2018, 10:12:36 AM »
Since no one is replying, I just thought I'd say howdy do.  I have no good advice to offer.  I recently had to buy a monitor, and nothing much is new since last time I had to buy a display for consoles and PC, 11 years ago.  If anything, the tech available is more limited, because plasma is gone, and OLED is just too fragile and freaking expensive.  I have hopes for micro-LED, but that has a ways to go.

LCD is still it.  Find something IPS or AMVA+.  Stay away from TN.  LED-backlit, not edge-lit.  That's about all I have.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, September 19, 2018, 09:43:19 PM »
Ha, thanks!  That's probably actually all I need.  Man, I wish Plasma was still a thing.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, September 20, 2018, 12:07:55 PM »
 I’ve got my eyes on the TCL 6-series for my TV once I get paid again. 4K, HDR, low input lag if you’re going to do any gaming. The 55” is $650 and the 65” is $1000. Models 55R617 and 65R617. TCL has some for even cheaper, but they’re even more budget and less feature rich. I really haven’t looked into any of the cheaper ones just because of the input lag. The input lag on the 6-series is 17.8ms in game mode with 1080 @ 60Hz + HDR, and 19.6ms in game mode with 4K @ 60Hz + HDR.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/6-series-2018-r617

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, September 20, 2018, 03:59:06 PM »
I have a 4K 50'' Samsung Smart TV that I bought last year at Black Friday. I love it.

Samsung TV's these days often are loaded w/ Steam Link inside. From this, you can stream wireless-ly from your PC to your TV.  Get a Samsung account; download SteamLink App; and be good to go if you want to do this.

I do PC gaming, so no clue how console systems & games would work on it. Though, I'm fine w/ running PC games on this, when I do. Problem now is this: with a 4K monitor and my SC15 G-Sync laptop, I'm not streaming my games as much to my TV.

More of my thoughts there:
http://www.overwritten.net/forum/index.php?topic=10024.0