Author Topic: It appears Cool_Gamer1 has died  (Read 8343 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
It appears Cool_Gamer1 has died
« on: Wednesday, April 25, 2018, 05:39:38 PM »
I was seeing posts on my FB timeline about his friends leaving memorial messages for Jerry Cao. It took a little bit to figure out who in our group it was but it's Cool_Gamer1. He was only 28. I don't know what happened and didn't know him well enough to feel comfortable asking. If someone says on FB I'll update here.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re: It appears Cool_Gamer1 has died
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, April 25, 2018, 06:11:31 PM »
OMG, that's terrible!  So sad!

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, April 25, 2018, 07:51:15 PM »
Geez.  I thought I'd be the one to take my leave first in our group.  So young; so very sad.  Please, keep us posted if you can.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, April 25, 2018, 11:21:45 PM »
Damn, that's really awful. I remember him reasonably well from back in the day, but never really knew him personally. That's way too young. What a shame.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, April 28, 2018, 12:15:05 AM »
Wow, I'm really sorry to hear this. I read it this morning and it kind of hit me hard for some reason even though I didn't really even know the guy.  I guess it's the nature of communication in that weird early 2000's era - I have a memory of this dude but can't really place who he is or what that memory is. We interacted in Alloutgames, IGN, or The Minds Eye but social media wasn't a thing.  We all communicated and knew each other, but didn't have that personal life intersection that is inherent with people who grew up with the internet. Yet were still closer than some random poster on like Reddit.

In any time period prior to that era, if you interacted with someone that much you probably knew their face and knew more about their day to day than I ever knew about Cool_gamer. In any time period after they'd either be someone on my social media that I'd see in my feed all the time or someone just lost in the noise on something like reddit. Unless it was the random poster on reddit, I'd know his face and more of his day to day.  It's kind of weird.

In either case, whatever the circumstances are, it's sad.  Guy was young and he may just be a poster we interacted with years ago but undoubtedly he's really important to someone out there and I feel for them. Dealing with those you love or just care for is a part of life but it fucking sucks every time and it's amazing how far the ripples from one's life can reach.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, May 01, 2018, 09:20:21 PM »
I haven't learned anything new, but a couple links. Memorial page where you can read a bit about him and see some comments from friends and family. And there is a Facebook event page for a memorial in Fremont, CA on May 5th, in case anyone wanted to go.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, May 02, 2018, 09:27:31 AM »
I left a post on behalf of the community on his memorial page, though it might be nice if anyone who used to play games with him more regularly might share a thought or two. He hadn't posted a lot on here, but did have an account ... he kept up with us until last year, all the way since IGN or AOG. His last posts were from late 2017.

It sounds like he had a really full life with a career he enjoyed and a lot of family and friends who were really close to him. If one has to die young, as least he made the most out of what he was given. That's at least some solace.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, May 02, 2018, 06:48:44 PM »
I've read his memorial and looked at his picture a few times now.  It definitely makes mortality strike home. Not unlike when I receive the quarterly magazine my high school puts out and I invariably find out some guy from my class died.

Just kind of unbelievable and sad.

Thanks for the memorial post, Que.

Edit: Just read through the other posts on his memorial. He sounds like the type of person I could have been really close friends with based on what others are sharing.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #8 on: Monday, May 07, 2018, 11:09:51 PM »
I haven't been on OW in weeks so I didn't see this till now. He was on my Facebook and we interacted a number of times over the years. It really hits me hard even though I really didn't know him. He seemed like a nice guy who enjoyed life.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, May 10, 2018, 06:53:39 PM »
Wow, this is quite the shock. Thanks for sharing this Idol and for the memorial post que.

Gpw you put it perfectly. This kind of community seems like it could only have occurred in such a short window of time. It's strange to think that it won't be here forever.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, May 13, 2018, 12:42:17 PM »
Very sad news. :(

Offline ender

« Reply #11 on: Sunday, June 03, 2018, 07:09:50 PM »
Just now seeing this. So sad. Though obviously I didn't know Cool_Gamer1 in person I did enjoy chatting with him back in the day. I logged in to OW because my grandmother passed away last night. I started thinking back on things and wanted to check in here while feeling nostalgic. Sad times.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, June 05, 2018, 10:39:45 PM »
Sorry to hear that, ender.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, June 06, 2018, 06:41:05 AM »
My condolences, man. That's rough.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: Sunday, June 10, 2018, 11:45:21 AM »
Thats sad, I don't know how I missed this post for so long.

Offline JacksRag(e)

« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, September 26, 2018, 11:49:59 PM »
This makes me sad to hear.