Author Topic: Sony pulls some real bullshit with Fortnite  (Read 2642 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Sony pulls some real bullshit with Fortnite
« on: Tuesday, June 12, 2018, 12:31:05 PM »
Sony is real backwards when it comes to cross platform stuff, and now that has been made very apparent with Fortnite.
Fortnite just released today on Switch. If you have a PC account you can link it to your Switch account and all your customization unlocks will be there. Same with Xbox. Same with iOS. But not if you made your account on PS4.
Even worse, if you linked your Epic account to your PSN account at any time, you can not use that account on Switch. This has hit me. I linked my Epic and PSN accounts months ago because I figured...why not? I will likely get a PS4 down the road and might play Fornite on it. I still don't have a PS4, have not ever played Fortnite on PS4, but now I can't link my account to Switch because Sony is an asshole. Even if I unlink my PSN account it won't matter, my account is restricted.

If I want to play Fortnite on Switch I have to make a new account for it and none of my progress will carry over.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: Sony pulls some real bullshit with Fortnite
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, June 12, 2018, 05:21:46 PM »
Damn.  That's some sorry shit.  Unnecessary too, seeing how Sony pretty much owned this generation.  What threat is crossplay to them?  I had read before, here and there, that they were dead-set against it.  This restriction goes even further, though.  I'll take it as a heads up.  If I ever have a PSN account, I won't be linking it to anything else.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, June 12, 2018, 08:20:54 PM »
What "progress" is there to even carry over, just out of curiosity?

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, June 12, 2018, 10:36:43 PM »
Battle pass stuff. Even the free version unlocks a couple things as you level up your account and get stars for the pass. Then if you do the paid battle pass then its tons of stuff.

Like practically speaking it doesnt really matter if you just want to play and dont care about the cosmetic items. But Ive got a good number of skins and stuff that I like and now I cant use any of them on Switch.

Which is actually what makes this even stranger. Sony wants to lock themselves away, thats fine I guess. But these are just cosmetic items and have nothing to do with cross-play. Hoping Epic figures something out.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, June 13, 2018, 05:51:09 AM »
You have some allies, idol.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, June 13, 2018, 10:27:19 AM »
Yeah it seems Sony is getting some heat over this. Good.

For my own account, I might be ok? I realized I had my account connected to both Xbox and PSN well before Fortnite was even released on consoles. I unlinked PSN and then it let me link to my Nintendo account. So now its linked to PC, Xbox, and Switch. Sadly I dont have a Switch so I can't test if it actually worked.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, June 14, 2018, 08:42:28 AM »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, June 14, 2018, 08:51:59 AM »
This is getting mainstream coverage now. BBC and CNBC