Author Topic: Microsoft has bought Obsidian...and InXile (Reply 3)  (Read 2278 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Microsoft has bought Obsidian...and InXile (Reply 3)
« on: Tuesday, October 09, 2018, 04:39:49 PM »
Kotaku - Microsoft is trying to buy Obsidian:
https://kotaku.com/sources-microsoft-is-close-to-buying-obsidian-1829614135

Microsoft has a huge bank account, which could be good for Obsidian.
Problem is: Microsoft probably would interfere w/ development, MTX and other annoying business practices, and other stuff.
This could be good for Microsoft, as this could be another company for them to have under their belt to give them more exclusive titles for their platform (something XB lacks).
Not good for gamers who like choice of platform, as Obsidian's newer games might not be on PS4, Switch, or anywhere else that isn't Microsoft-owned/Microsoft-approved.
We also might have Obsidian's newer games not appear on GOG, Steam, and other PC places.
If Obsidian's newer games wind-up on Microsoft Store (Windows 10 Store), then be ready for one of the most least friendly PC platforms.
W10 Store lacks a lot of features - as it's tough for trying to manipulate, back-up, tinker, mod, move, or etc your game-folders around.
« Last Edit: Saturday, November 10, 2018, 04:15:14 PM by MysterD »

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: Microsoft is trying to buy Obsidian
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, October 10, 2018, 08:08:33 AM »
Since I have all of the Windows-10 online intrusiveness disabled, the MS Store doesn't even work, not that this pains me in any way.  I have no use for walled gardens on PC.  Those belong on consoles and phones.  I guess if Obsidian becomes part of Microsoft, they'll be like Turn 10 and Playground Games to me.  Strictly Xbox, if anywhere.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Microsoft is trying to buy Obsidian
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, October 10, 2018, 04:40:32 PM »
Gears of War 4 and especially Forza Horizon 3 are awesome.
Not only are they great ports (i.e. they run great and look great), they're also awesome games.

Unfortunately, you have to deal w/ the crappy W10 Store/client if you own them on PC.
Unfortunately, dealing w/ the game-files for installs, reinstalls, moving folders, modding, and other things are a royal pain in the ass on the PC for W10 Games/Apps.

Though, if you buy them digitally from Microsoft via W10 Store, you do get both PC Digital Version & XBox Digital Version.
So, worst comes to worst - if you own a X1, you can just play that version.

I would guess if Obsidian joins M$, we'll be stuck w/ their W10 games requiring W10 Store. Bleh.

EDIT:
Also, I'm afraid Obsidian joining M$ could be as bad as say EA buying BioWare. This all....makes me sick to my stomach. We saw what M$ did to Epic Games and Bungie. Those studios might still be alive, but they ain't been the same since M$.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Microsoft has bought Obsidian...and InXile (Reply 3)
« Reply #4 on: Monday, November 12, 2018, 01:36:09 AM »
Gross.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, November 15, 2018, 05:15:42 PM »
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire supposedly flopped, only selling 110K copies worldwide:
https://www.dsogaming.com/news/pillars-of-eternity-2-has-only-sold-110k-copies-worldwide-until-september-2018/

Wow. Yeah, no wonder Obsidian might've sold to Microsoft.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #6 on: Monday, November 19, 2018, 06:05:07 PM »
Eurogamer - Interview w/ Brian Fargo of InXile about the Microsoft buy-out and their future:
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-11-19-inxile-acquired-by-microsoft-the-interview