Games > General Gaming

Epic announces Epic Games Store

(1/13) > >>

idolminds:
Announcement and info
This appeared in the Epic launcher the other day, and now the announcement comes. There are a few things that make this very interesting.

1. It's in the Epic launcher, which millions of people already have installed because of Fortnite. Getting people to download the client is usually the hardest hurdle and it's already taken care of.
2. Devs will get 88% of the money from each sale with Epic taking only 12%. This is a huge difference from Steam and pretty much every other digital store that takes 30%. Very attractive to devs.
3. Will eventually also sell Android games. I guess thats neat.

Anyway it will start off slow with hand picked games allowed on but will open up sometime next year to more games. It will be very interesting to see what happens and how Steam might react to the news.

Tim Sweeney Q&A about the store

Cobra951:
Well, there we go.  Competition = better deal for all.  Those small devs pissed off at Valve will have an alternative to Steam.  I have a feeling Valve will have to make more adjustments at some point, unless the Epic service tanks.

MysterD:

--- Quote from: idolminds on Tuesday, December 04, 2018, 08:24:14 AM ---Tim Sweeney Q&A about the store

--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---Does the store use any style of digital right management, and can players play these games offline or is an internet connection required?

We do not have any store-wide DRM. Developers are free to use their own DRM solutions if they choose.

--- End quote ---

Nice to know the Epic Launcher itself is not laced w/ DRM; and that it's up to dev's/pub's if they want to use their own DRM schemes.

Quemaqua:
Interesting. I have my doubts that this will go anywhere, honestly, but my limited experiences with the launcher weren't terrible, and there certainly is now a huge install base. Maybe that will finally give someone other than Steam some traction. It would certainly be long past due time for Valve to get its shit together and actually improve something about Steam. It feels worse all the time because it never gets any meaningful usability updates. Interface is now kinda like ... cluttered and obnoxious.

idolminds:
Launched

Game Awards were tonight and a LOT of games were showing the Epic Store logo instead of Steam. Seems to be the place to be for those bigger budget indie games. They've got some exclusives and early access exclusives. The page also shows they will be giving games away for free, one game every 2 weeks. Starts next week with Subnautica and then after that Super Meat Boy.

Epic is making some plays.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version