Author Topic: Konami Classics Collections announced for PC, Switch, X1, PS4  (Read 2311 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Konami Classics Collections announced for PC, Switch, X1, PS4
« on: Tuesday, March 19, 2019, 08:36:51 PM »
Konami Anniversary Collections announced for PC/Steam, Switch, X1, PS4:
https://www.konami.com/games/50th/ac/us/en/

More details from Kotaku:
https://kotaku.com/konamis-new-anniversary-collections-bundle-castlevania-1833423700

Arcade Classics coming April 18th for $20:

Castlevania Collection in the Early Summer - 4 more titles in this bundle with its price to be announced later:

Contra Collection also in Early Summer - with 4 more titles in this bundle with its price to be announced later:

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: Konami Classics Collections announced for PC, Switch, X1, PS4
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, March 19, 2019, 10:43:53 PM »
Well those are interesting.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, March 20, 2019, 04:45:03 AM »
Sometime in the mid-90s, someone I worked with introduced me to Nesticle.  I hadn't even considered the possibility of emulating game consoles on PCs before then, so it was quite a revelation.  I took to that scene quickly.  Most of the games in this collection worked on early emulators, with one frustrating exception being the best 8-bit Castlevania--Dracula's Curse (III).  With its custom mapper and cartridge hardware, it needed several more years of emulator development and PC-hardware improvement to finally behave properly.  Better NES and SNES emulators followed, and by the early 2000s, running them at full speed with no major errors was commonplace.

Given that history, it absolutely amazes me that money can still be made on the sale of these ancient games, particularly on PC.  That same emulator development makes it possible too.  Who actually buys these, collectors?  I can't imagine anyone much younger than me enjoying something like Haunted Castle today.  More than just the technology is way outdated.  The better 16-bit games still stand up, though.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, March 20, 2019, 06:57:00 PM »
Man, Nesticle was my jam.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, March 20, 2019, 08:22:53 PM »
Sometime in the mid-90s, someone I worked with introduced me to Nesticle.  I hadn't even considered the possibility of emulating game consoles on PCs before then, so it was quite a revelation.  I took to that scene quickly.  Most of the games in this collection worked on early emulators, with one frustrating exception being the best 8-bit Castlevania--Dracula's Curse (III).  With its custom mapper and cartridge hardware, it needed several more years of emulator development and PC-hardware improvement to finally behave properly.  Better NES and SNES emulators followed, and by the early 2000s, running them at full speed with no major errors was commonplace.

Given that history, it absolutely amazes me that money can still be made on the sale of these ancient games, particularly on PC.  That same emulator development makes it possible too.  Who actually buys these, collectors?  I can't imagine anyone much younger than me enjoying something like Haunted Castle today.  More than just the technology is way outdated.  The better 16-bit games still stand up, though.

I'm guilty of buying a Sega collection on both PC and then, years later, on Switch....knowing fully well I played each game for like 3 minutes and never touched it again the first time.  And all this after years of doing the same thing on emulators.  These things thrive off of impulse purchases.

That said, Retro Game Challenge for the DS was amazing and I've been waiting for someone to make this but use real classic games for the challenges.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, April 18, 2019, 03:39:15 PM »
Castlevania Collection in the Early Summer - 4 more titles in this bundle with its price to be announced later:

Other 4 games for Castlevania Collection revealed:
https://www.polygon.com/2019/4/18/18484715/castlevania-anniversary-collection-release-date-games

Rounding out the collection will be Castlevania The Adventure (Game Boy), Castlevania 2: Simon’s Quest (NES), Castlevania Bloodlines (Sega Genesis), and Kid Dracula (Famicom). The last game on that list received a Game Boy remake/sequel in North America, but the original Kid Dracula (aka Akumajō Special: Boku Dracula-kun) was only released on Famicom in Japan.