Author Topic: Ghost Recon: Breakpoint - Update: Online-only (reply 4)  (Read 4160 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Ghost Recon: Breakpoint - Update: Online-only (reply 4)
« on: Tuesday, May 07, 2019, 03:21:10 PM »
« Last Edit: Saturday, May 11, 2019, 06:11:39 AM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: NEW Ghost Recon game to be announced this Thursday
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, May 07, 2019, 03:21:28 PM »
[Place-holder]

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, May 08, 2019, 02:55:53 PM »
Polygon - Leak by retail displays the next game as Ghost Recon: Breakpoint for PC, PS4, X1 for this October (2019):
https://www.polygon.com/2019/5/8/18537275/ghost-recon-breakpoint-release-date-ps4-pc-xbox-one

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, May 09, 2019, 05:39:15 PM »
PC Gamer - Article on GR: Breakpoint.

Youtube - GR: Breakpoint walkthrough/gameplay video:

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: Ghost Recon: Breakpoint - Update: Online-only (reply 4)
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, May 11, 2019, 09:04:23 AM »
I wasn't going to buy it anyway.  Now it isn't even a possibility.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, May 11, 2019, 12:43:54 PM »
I am interested in it but Ubisoft are making it difficult to sustain that interest.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, May 12, 2019, 08:07:23 AM »
GameInformer - Ubi explains why Breakpoint is using a fictional setting not based on a geopolitical area, which is really a first for a Ghost Recon game.

Blowback from Bolivia about Wildlands' depiction of the city.
Since its debut back in 2001, the Ghost Recon series has focused on fictitious geopolitical skirmishes around the globe. Russia, East Africa, North Korea, Columbia, Bolivia – it doesn't matter where the job is, when U.S. interests need protecting, the clandestine operators who call themselves Ghosts slip behind enemy lines and do the dirty work.

Not every country hosting the fictitious wet work of this U.S. Special Forces division has been happy about its portrayal. Chagrined by Ghost Recon Wildlands' depiction of Bolivia as a corrupt country overrun by drug cartels, the nation filed an official complaint with the French embassy in La Paz. The blowback could be seen as the reason Ubisoft set Ghost Recon Breakpoint on a fictional island in the Pacific Ocean, but the developers say they have other justifications for the change as well.

Ubi's reason for a fictional location in Breakpoint.
This time around, the Ghosts drop onto the island of Auroa, a diverse, expansive open world featuring sandy beaches, dense jungles, snowy mountain peaks, and volcanos. This New Zealand facsimile serves as the headquarters of Skell Technology. Free from governmental oversight, innovator Jace Skell has rapidly advanced machine learning and drone technology in the hopes of making the world a better place. But when a group of rogue former special operatives takes over the island and assumed control of the cutting edge technology, the stakes reach the highs we typically expect from a Ghost Recon game.

When I ask why Ubisoft chose to set this plausible near-future scenario in a fictitious place instead of a real-world location, Breakpoint writer Emil Daubon says the decision was born more out of embracing possibility than any other external factor.

“Creating a fictional setting gives us unmeasurable license to expand on the world," Daubon says. "We can create a variety of terrain with a variety of physical and social landscapes that you have to navigate, and we can expand on it as we choose. That's a really exciting aspect."

While the location may not play into Ghost Recon conventions, the overarching story should still have that Tom Clancy feel. "While the setting is fictional and the characters are fictional, the question behind the story is still sort of palpably real," Daubon says. "The freedom to create within the fictional setting was the most appealing aspect, both from a narrative standpoint and from a gameplay mechanics standpoint. The expandability of the world is what's most exciting narratively because we're unlimited; we can create anything, and that in order to support the overarching desire to give our players the feeling of being a Ghost. The potential is unlimited there.”

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, September 08, 2019, 01:56:30 PM »
Since it's not under NDA in its current Beta form, I've got plenty to say on this.

Breakpoint is way less tactical than Wildlands - and even despite my Wildlands complaints about that being dialed-back a bit, I still liked that game. Wildlands was still ambitious as hell and trying a ton of new things (i.e. UbiSoft open-world stuff with AC-like icons for side-stuff everywhere; GTA-style vehicle driving; and mixing GR tactical stuff); things that I feel should be expanded on with Breakpoint. I might not have had entire control over my AI squad in Wildlands, but you still have some control...and that was still enough.

Also, guns don't feel as moddable either in Breakpoint. You could easily swap-out pieces like scopes and things back in Wildlands. You had less guns in Wildlands, but more mods. Now, it's gone the other way with Breakpoint - as you have more guns, but less ways to mod them. And these guns seems to be littered all over the map to find, too.

Also, the storytelling, narrative, writing, dialogue, voice-acting & cut-scenes - don't seem to be anything special; and that's a problem, as it's trying to also focus on this stuff. At least if this stuff was good-to-great, I'd be fine w/ this stuff being here in Breakpoint. It's maybe passable...and that's about it. And you'd think with this more story-orientated attempt here, it would make more sense in a game with an offline option, but that option isn't here either. At least with Wildlands, you could play offline or online; up to you.

At least with Wildlands, this story-stuff was straight to the point and quick (like Skyrim often does) - and then you got going, so this stuff didn't get much in the way...as you did the missions, often having context via logs/video/audio/etc in Wildlands if you wanted more info and context. With the online-only factor now in Breakpoint, I could see other players...really getting annoyed w/ these cut-scenes stuff not told to them by other means, interrupting the flow of gameplay & gunplay; especially since these cut-scenes & narrative aren't even that good.

Breakpoint also runs like un-optimized crap too; it's even worse than Wildlands, AC: Origins, and AC: Odyssey here. On High at 1080p, it runs anywhere from 30-60fps on my laptop (i7 7700HQ; 6GB GTX 1060; 16 GB RAM; W10 x64). Game looks "meh" below High (i.e. same problem AC: Origins & AC: Odyssey had). It looks amazing at High, but it runs like crap; had to lock it down to 45fps to keep it somewhat stable. I hope they can fix these performance issues before the game comes out.

It also seems like UbiSoft wants to stick The Division ARPG-looter elements onto everything. First The Division; now AC with Origins & Odyssey; and now GR here with Breakpoint. With leveled-enemies, it makes the game less open; as some areas are just foolish to run into. This wasn't as much of an issue in Wildlands. With your gear having levels now in Breakpoint, you need to now pay attention to your gear and make sure it's equipped and leveled properly too - b/c that can be another factor, if you run into enemies and/or an area...and you're both leveled similarly, you'll actually have a chance there.

Combat still feels and plays fine. Gunplay is still good & feels right, like it was in Wildlands. I do like the additional realism elements of you hobbling and having issues walking/running, if you don't heal & bandage yourself. That realism stuff is actually welcome to me, adding an interesting element to the combat. But, losing the tactical stuff hurts - as having the injuries and tactical stuff together could've been something really interesting & special.

In so many ways, this no longer feels like a GR title. It began to stray a bit with Wildlands, but it went even further here with Breakpoint. It should've just been called Tom Clancy's Breakpoint.

This is an online-only game and could be living & breathing, so I do hope they can overhaul & add more tactical GR-stuff stuff in say patches/updates, DLC's, expansions, and/or something. And I do hope they can optimize this game b/c...it sorely needs it.

But, given what I've experienced so far & given that the game's out in early October (next month) - yeah, I don't have my hopes up here.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, October 01, 2019, 05:08:52 PM »
YongYea on the MTX insanity attached to GR: Breakpoint:

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, October 24, 2019, 01:08:09 PM »
UbiSoft admits that GR: Breakpoint was a disaster:
https://kotaku.com/ubisoft-admits-ghost-recon-breakpoint-has-been-a-disast-1839329787

Notes:
- UbiSoft's CEO Yves Guillemot says both GR: Breakpoint & The Division 2 under-performed (sales-wise).
- CEO says that there were also a lot of negative critical reviews for Breakpoint.
- CEO says that the changes made in Breakpoint were "strongly rejected by a significant portion of the community."
- CEO says that GR: Breakpoint still wasn't different enough to really stand out.
- CEO also sites Breakpoint as the reason the next UbiSoft titles are delayed.
- Watch Dogs: Legions, R6: Quarantine, Gods & Monsters are the 3 delayed UbiSoft titles...
- ...But there are 2 other titles that are unannounced, which also got delayed.
- CEO says they also plan to focus more so on in-game events.