Author Topic: Red Dead Redemption  (Read 27477 times)

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: Red Dead Redemption
« Reply #120 on: Thursday, November 24, 2011, 11:19:12 AM »
Haha!  Do we need "Are you sure?" code in spoiler tags now, complete with a text field to hint at the severity of the spoiler?   :P

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #121 on: Thursday, November 24, 2011, 01:52:49 PM »
hahaha :)

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #122 on: Thursday, November 24, 2011, 08:20:32 PM »
That really sucks.  Because this is one game I wouldn't want to spoil for anyone.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #123 on: Thursday, November 24, 2011, 11:05:56 PM »
Ahaha.  I know, I just clicked on it for no reason.  I guess I subconsciously figured I'd never really fully get into the game again.  I'm literally at my house 2 days a week right now and playing the PS3 is the last thing I want to do.  Maybe when shit settles down/I move.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #124 on: Saturday, June 23, 2012, 06:07:11 PM »
Not reading spoiler, not reading spoilers....

I finally picked up the GOTY edition for myself and am having an absolute blast playing. Like "Damnit, why do I have to do things like bathe and eat? I just want to keep playing!" level of enjoyment.

Been doing a mix of missions and exploring. Did quite a few of those challenge side mission things, those are fun. And the minigames. I started getting the hang of horseshoes, won a little money in poker, and had an amazing come from behind win in liar's dice. So good.

One thing I haven't really had a problem with is money. I have yet to buy ammo. I bought a couple places to stay, bought a new pistol and shotgun, bandoleer, rabbits foot, etc. I mean, maybe the GOTY edition gives you a leg up since you start with that War Horse deed so Ive had no reason to buy another. I have a ton of stuff from skinning animals and some gold bars from treasure hunting and I haven't sold any of that stuff. So I guess if something comes along where I need money, I'll definitely have it.

Also I noticed that old people are crazy in the west.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #125 on: Sunday, June 24, 2012, 07:21:03 AM »
Hah, I was wondering if your package delivered.  I guess I got my answer.

Money was never an issue for me in the game.  There's not a ton of one-time purchases, and you find ammo pretty much everywhere.  The War Horse is definitely a head start.

I'd also like to remind everyone (especially since the GOTY edition is occasionally being sold for peanuts now) that if you haven't played this game you really need to.  It is one of the finest console experiences of this generation.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #126 on: Sunday, July 01, 2012, 06:51:34 AM »
Best open-world game this generation.  Bethesda could learn a few things from the Rockstar tech too.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #127 on: Sunday, July 01, 2012, 11:54:20 AM »
I really wished this came out for PC.  I have it for the PS3 and really enjoy it, but I find I get more immersed in games when playing them on the pc. As it is, I haven't really gone anywhere past probably the first quarter of the game.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #128 on: Monday, July 18, 2016, 10:39:32 PM »
I'm playing through this again, now that it went backward compatible on my console.  The horseplay absolutely puts The Witcher 3's to shame, 6 years later.  It's obvious too that TW3's horse mechanics drew a lot of inspiration from RDR.  Either that, or both games were inspired the same way by an earlier game.  (Zelda OoT?  There is an Epona Plaza in TW3's Blood and Wine DLC.)  Instead of getting infinite stamina by staying on the roads, RDR's horses get a speed boost instead.  Everything else is almost exactly alike, except that it actually works reliably well in RDR.  It's uncanny how well this game has held up since 2010.  Nothing feels archaic.  And it still looks beautiful, if a bit rough around the edges.  The save system still sucks, but as I discovered in that "d'oh!" moment I spoke of over 4 years ago, forcing an autosave any time by changing horses makes the silly 6-hour-wasting manual saves a nonissue.

At first I thought I'd just roam around a bit, to reminisce and get reacquainted, but now I'm in it full tilt.  I fully intend to play though the whole thing once more, with a more stable frame rate to boot.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #129 on: Wednesday, July 20, 2016, 07:11:44 AM »
I've maintained that it would be impossible to go back to this game if only because of the story.  But Cobra's post now has me tempted to try.

I picked up a copy of the GOTY edition for ps3 at a pawn shop.  Trying to decide which platform to play it on.  I guess 360's version remains superior if you don't own an xbone.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #130 on: Wednesday, July 20, 2016, 08:04:29 AM »
Did you not like the story?  It's not a rosy one, but you can always just get to a good point in it, and stay there.

As with most sandbox games, I much prefer the big world and what I freely get to do in it.  The story gets a lot less time and attention.

It's funny how this never made it to PC.  I guess it's a product of its time, when PC gaming was in decline, at least in the eyes of piracy-wary distributors.  It can't be that hard to port from the original source code, unless that has been lost.  I think the revival of interest after making it compatible with the X1 took them by surprise.  (Game sales spiked as a result, to the point of briefly crashing that page on the XBL marketplace.)  Maybe they'll rethink a port?  A sequel rumor is picking up steam.

I'm just past lassoing and breaking wild horses now.  I had to look up again how to keep a horse lassoed long enough to dismount and hop on it.  I remember that being impossible to figure out the first time around too.  (Short tap on the shoot/lasso button is key.)

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #131 on: Wednesday, July 20, 2016, 09:50:14 AM »
No, I loved the story.  It was probably my favorite part about the game.  But once you experience the end it's difficult to go back and play it again from the same point of view.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #132 on: Monday, July 25, 2016, 03:59:32 PM »
Did you not like the story?  It's not a rosy one, but you can always just get to a good point in it, and stay there.

As with most sandbox games, I much prefer the big world and what I freely get to do in it.  The story gets a lot less time and attention.

It's funny how this never made it to PC.  I guess it's a product of its time, when PC gaming was in decline, at least in the eyes of piracy-wary distributors.  It can't be that hard to port from the original source code, unless that has been lost.  I think the revival of interest after making it compatible with the X1 took them by surprise.  (Game sales spiked as a result, to the point of briefly crashing that page on the XBL marketplace.)  Maybe they'll rethink a port?  A sequel rumor is picking up steam.

I'm just past lassoing and breaking wild horses now.  I had to look up again how to keep a horse lassoed long enough to dismount and hop on it.  I remember that being impossible to figure out the first time around too.  (Short tap on the shoot/lasso button is key.)

Oh, I'd love to see a RD Redemp PC port.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #133 on: Monday, July 25, 2016, 10:40:27 PM »
Yeah, me too.  This game needs to stay alive, and make the jump to the premium platform, for the sake of posterity if nothing else.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #134 on: Monday, July 22, 2019, 03:15:01 PM »
Might be a good time to revive this thread, given the rumors swirling around.

Rumor has it with the 10th Anniversary of Red Dead Redemption 1 coming up, Rockstar's working on a full-blown Remake or Remaster:

GameRant article on it - https://gamerant.com/red-dead-redemption-remake-rumor/

Reddit thread on the news - https://www.reddit.com/r/reddeadredemption/comments/cfrj1y/red_dead_redemption_remake_reportedly_in/

- The map for RDR1 is actually there entirely in RDR2.
- A glitch in RDR2 accidentally played un-used recorded dialogue from a protagonist from RDR1, leading to the rumor.
- Possibly, RDR1 could become DLC and an actual part of RDR2 ... to try to link the two stories together into one big package.
- RDR2 is a prequel to RDR1.
- John Marston's voice-actor reportedly has been brought back to the studio, to record new lines of dialogue.
- Marston's voice-actor might've been brought back, to possibly link the two games together.
- 2K supposedly wants more output & releases from Rockstar, so this RDR Remake/Remaster could make sense.
- RDR1 never hit the PC, so....this would make sense until GTA6 comes out.