Author Topic: new cam for christmas!  (Read 3149 times)

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
new cam for christmas!
« on: Wednesday, December 27, 2006, 09:10:34 AM »
Well, the only thing I asked for for christmas was a digicam... my family responded by giving me tons of money in GCs for Futureshop, so I went down there on boxing day and scored this:

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0665000FS10080269&langid=EN&CMP=ILC-FS_Flyer_Tracking

And to complement the cam I also got this:

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0665000FS10058295&logon=&langid=EN

It's incredible... I spent most of yesterday playing with all the features because it has tons... and with that flash card I can take over 450 pictures at the highest setting.
The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...

Cools

Re: new cam for christmas!
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, December 27, 2006, 10:09:05 AM »
Congrats!

The world of photography will never be the same...

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, December 27, 2006, 10:40:15 AM »
The world of photography will never be the same...

;D

Congratulations dudey. Kams with a cam!

I remember when I got my first digi cam, it was just amazing.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, December 27, 2006, 11:34:10 AM »
10MP....*jealous*

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, December 27, 2006, 12:04:59 PM »
yeah I've wanted one for ages... now I can do one of those "day in the life of Kams" threads :p
The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...

Cools

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, December 27, 2006, 01:54:35 PM »

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, December 27, 2006, 02:23:20 PM »
Yea I think all that goodwill just ended.

Just kidding. :P

Also what use would you have for 10MP idol?

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, December 27, 2006, 02:26:04 PM »
Better crop options. Higher res images means I can crop out sections to keep and still have resolution to print.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, December 27, 2006, 03:40:17 PM »
"File formats  JPEG"

For that money, don't they have a non-lossy option?  (Or is that possible with JPEG?)

Very nice.  Post links to uber-shots when you take some.  I really want 640x480x30-fps video, dammit.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, December 27, 2006, 04:50:09 PM »
Yeah, that is one thing I'm going to look for in my next camera: RAW mode.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, December 27, 2006, 07:09:34 PM »
Did I mention I hate you all?

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Cools

« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, December 27, 2006, 08:13:51 PM »
For that money, don't they have a non-lossy option?  (Or is that possible with JPEG?)

Not in that price range. Add $300-400 and you'll get RAW and/or TIFF on a decent dSLR. Though that won't mean you'll get any better pictures. Plus, the RAW mode will most likely use a proprietary format... gah...

I really want 640x480x30-fps video, dammit.

Haha

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, December 27, 2006, 10:22:56 PM »
Not in that price range. Add $300-400 and you'll get RAW and/or TIFF on a decent dSLR. Though that won't mean you'll get any better pictures. Plus, the RAW mode will most likely use a proprietary format... gah...

Haha

Hmm . . .  I think my brother's fair-to-middling digicam does both TIFF and JPEG.  (Can't remember what he has.)  My Kodak doesn't, and yeah, I have to live with 320x240x15-fps video.  It was a nice feature on flash-card cams a few years ago, but now there's no reason for it to be so limited.

Actually, I have some pix he took.  They are JPEGs, but I'm pretty sure he told me he can do TIFFs.  Some of the info that appears on the tool tip is: "3072x2304" "Camera Model: E7600" (whatever brand that model belongs to).

Edit:  Looks like that's a Nikon.

Edit 2:
Images are saved in JPEG format, with three compression levels available for.
  http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/CP7600/CP76A.HTM

Well, I guess I'm not remembering what he said correctly.  I guess he mentioned the different compression options, and I assumed TIFF for some reason.

Cools

« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, December 27, 2006, 11:32:51 PM »
Interestingly enough, it's easier to find RAW in dSLRs now than TIFF, eventhough RAW is supposed to be more powerful (My Nikon D50 has RAW (NEF; Nikon's version of it), but TIFF appears in the D200 which is double the price, not sure about D40 or D80 of the top of my head).

Personally, I'd rather have TIFF. It's a more universal format and like RAW can be lossless. The problem with RAW is that each manufacturer has it's own version of it and in my case, Photoshop doesn't even support Nikon's NEF. So it introduces yet another step in the workflow (since Photoshop can't open NEF, it means I can't create actions that can batch process the files for me, such as batch changing the white balance - which is what you'd want RAW for to start with).

Also, I prefer to get my pictures as good as possible in camera to start with.

Another feature to look out for is if you can use a different colorspace besides sRGB, which is used by most cameras. Usually the alternative on higher end cameras is Adobe RGB (1998) (or varients of it). The difference is subtle, but will result in more vibrant prints and more leniency towards manipulation and enhancement.