Author Topic: Prey is breathtaking.  (Read 19479 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: Prey is breathtaking.
« Reply #80 on: Saturday, January 12, 2008, 07:11:37 AM »
Haha seriously :P Who knew?!

I knew!

The world's gotta' try and keep up w/ me.

I'm just light years ahead of the "posting new news" game. :P

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #81 on: Saturday, January 12, 2008, 07:49:37 AM »
Hehe Well touché to you, MyD :D

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #82 on: Sunday, January 20, 2008, 09:42:20 PM »
So, I picked this up today and am probably about an hour or so into it.  I like it a lot so far, but could see how it might get old. 

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #83 on: Sunday, January 20, 2008, 11:14:19 PM »
I think at the time of its release it didn't have many peers.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #84 on: Monday, February 04, 2008, 07:12:18 PM »
Honestly, I don't think it might still not have many peers.  While the graphics may not technically be as good as Bioshock, Crysis, or UT3 I'd say the art direction and set design brings it up to a level where I find myself still being amazed even after playing the new graphical milestones.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #85 on: Monday, February 04, 2008, 11:11:48 PM »
Hmm... I'll have to give it another shot now. More artful than Bioshock??

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #86 on: Tuesday, February 05, 2008, 01:34:31 AM »
Depending on how you look at it  guess.  I think the main thing about Bioshock is that it's set in this environment that we've never seen at all before.  A dystopian art deco underwater city is something that instantly appeals to our senses.  Prey, on the other hand is set in an environment we have seen many, many times before, but it pulls it off better than any other game I've seen. 

I just played a bit more, and I may have exaggerated a bit before.  Nevertheless, I still think it fully stands up to todays games.  Where I may have exaggerated is the art design, which really isn't all I made it out to be.  Rather, it's the fact that they use the Doom 3 engine and capitalize on all it's strengths, and combine that with excellent level design (for the most part), and some very good art direction (specifically with weapons and some of the little details).  What comes out is more than the sum of it's parts.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #87 on: Tuesday, February 05, 2008, 03:25:36 AM »
I am going to go ahead and say something...  I am in the middle of Bioshock, and while I am enjoying it, I am finding it immensely easy. Even the Big Daddies are a pushover. I am also not really enjoying the sooting elements. I am finding it a bit of a chore to fire it up again and pick up from where I left off.

Now I am going to say something that may bother the action purists on our boards. I am giving up on Gears of War. I've probably played half of it, and if I am not going to get variety out of this, then no thanks.

I am probably going to hold on till my bro visits me in June, and then do a LAN coop.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #88 on: Tuesday, February 05, 2008, 06:49:48 AM »
I wish I could LAN coop. Sadly, I believe I am the only one in this entire country who plays coop.

Everybody either doesn't have the same games I have or they're only interested in 1on1 deathmatches, which I dread.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #89 on: Tuesday, February 05, 2008, 05:17:49 PM »
I am going to go ahead and say something...  I am in the middle of Bioshock, and while I am enjoying it, I am finding it immensely easy. Even the Big Daddies are a pushover. I am also not really enjoying the sooting elements. I am finding it a bit of a chore to fire it up again and pick up from where I left off.

Now I am going to say something that may bother the action purists on our boards. I am giving up on Gears of War. I've probably played half of it, and if I am not going to get variety out of this, then no thanks.

I am probably going to hold on till my bro visits me in June, and then do a LAN coop.

I can get behind what you're saying about Bioshock for sure.  The shooting elements were pretty weak throughout the game as far as I'm concerned, and it's entirely too easy up until the very end.  As for GoW, I played through it rather quickly, but ended up doing a lot of the later missions on co-op, which is really the way to play the game.  You're right, there really isn't much variety save for a few moments.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #90 on: Tuesday, February 05, 2008, 08:31:14 PM »
I disagree entirely for Bioshock, but then I played it on hard because I'm not a total pussy.   :-[  True, the shooters aspects weren't the best ever, but I thought the difficulty was fine, and getting inventive by combining different weapons/plasmids was pretty fun even if some of the individual things just boiled down to standard stuff in the end.  That kind of experimentation was ultimately what appealed to me.  That said, I still didn't think the shooting elements were weak.  They were still decent.

And I can see what you're saying for Gears.  For me that stuff held out, but I can understand why it wouldn't for others.  The biggest problem was the fact that the game didn't have any real boss fights other than the last fight.  It needed another 1 or 2 of those scattered around the middle of the game, I think, and then everything would have been gravy.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #91 on: Tuesday, February 05, 2008, 09:21:14 PM »
I am going to go ahead and say something...  I am in the middle of Bioshock, and while I am enjoying it, I am finding it immensely easy.

Even the Big Daddies are a pushover.
I'm going to assume you're running newest version of the game....

So, what difficulty? Are you playing on Normal? Hard?

Did you toggle the Vita Chambers ON or OFF?

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #92 on: Tuesday, February 05, 2008, 11:27:57 PM »
Yea Que, I am thinking of restarting it on a harder difficulty. I still love the game of course.

And D, Vita Chambers aren't making a difference to me. In fact I thought all that crying about Vita Chambers was extremely stupid. So there are resurrection chambers, so what?

Don't you quick load a game after dying anyway? And resurrection chambers were in System Shock 2 as well. But yes, am using the latest patch. I will post screenies of the POV widescreen differences that were significant enough to warrant a change.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #93 on: Tuesday, February 05, 2008, 11:46:08 PM »
Damn it, stop making me want to play it again.  I seriously need to be focusing on FAWM right now.  No distractions.

But... games... must... play...

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #94 on: Wednesday, February 06, 2008, 03:58:28 PM »
Yea Que, I am thinking of restarting it on a harder difficulty. I still love the game of course.

And D, Vita Chambers aren't making a difference to me. In fact I thought all that crying about Vita Chambers was extremely stupid. So there are resurrection chambers, so what?
So....if you die, you can go back and smash the big daddy s'more, repeat cycle until Big Daddy dies -- therefor, making the game TOO EASY.

That's of course if you don't decide to just reload your last save.
Don't you quick load a game after dying anyway?
Not always, no -- depends on the situation, the game itself, and some other stuff. These days, I play a little different. Sometimes, I'll just take the respawn. Sometimes, I'll reload a quicksave. It also depends if I want to put up w/ a game's loadtime, too -- as often a respawn gives you no load time, while a reload will likely give you some sort of load time.

I have actually gotten used to games w/ respawning. Though, I would like to see a game that allows for that any respawning you do, ALL of your enemies should automatically get their health fully generated as a penalty for you dying in the first place.

And resurrection chambers were in System Shock 2 as well.
They costed $ to be used, though.

And yes, I used them in that, sometimes.

Not nearly as much as I did w/ Bioshock b/c I often spent my money and often just decided to reload a save.

Offline Jedi

• Poster Child
« Reply #95 on: Wednesday, February 06, 2008, 04:50:39 PM »
Yeah the difference between the chambers and quick loading is in one the game world doesn't reset ie the big daddie is hurting a little after you placed a rocket up his arse just before he mashed you into a wall.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #96 on: Wednesday, February 06, 2008, 06:03:37 PM »
I don't think the vita chambers were the problem.  It was just overall too easy (on normal, I never tried on hard for some reason).  I don't really think I woke up in a vita chamber at all until the last 10% of the game.

Offline Jedi

• Poster Child
« Reply #97 on: Wednesday, February 06, 2008, 07:10:55 PM »
And at the same time why do you need an option to turn them off? Just quick load back to your last spot it's like cheats, they're there but you don't need to use them.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #98 on: Sunday, May 07, 2017, 07:16:40 AM »
Cross-post b/c of importance of issues w/ having Prey 2006 + 2017 Steam-versions installed:
http://www.overwritten.net/forum/index.php?topic=9958.msg131186#msg131186

For people that own BOTH Prey 2006 on Steam + Prey 2017 on Steam - be careful.

Giant Bomb on Quick Look at 12:56 mention you CANNOT have Steam-versions of both installed at once (at least on the same drive) - https://youtu.be/lY4ZHKrAqlc?t=776
Prey 2017 uses SAME Steam-folder directory as Prey 2006. WTH?
Also been talked about on NeoGAF - http://www.neogaf.co...1368643&page=13

If you have Prey 2006 from retail on disc (i.e. the Non-Steam version) - you could install Prey Classic wherever you want (probably don't want to name the folder Prey, just to stay safe); patch it up to 1.4 (DRM-check removal patch - you can get that from 3D Realms' Web Site); and just run that version of the game.
You can always add that as Non-Steam game, to do screenshots + all of that stuff. Tested it, works fine.

Also, Prey 2006 retail-disc keys can be activated on Steam. Check the back of your Prey 2006 manual for the key + register that onto Steam.

Also - yeah, you might to download Prey 2006 Steam-version and back it up elsewhere before you mess around with it - since it's only around 1.7 GB or so. Probably easier to back that up than whatever size say Prey 2017 is.
Plus, Prey 2006 is no longer getting updates anyways - and that likely won't change. We already known Prey 2017 will be getting updates, at least to fix up FoV issues.

Since Prey 2006 Steam-version's EXE is protected w/ Steam-DRM, that version doesn't work without Steam. So, if you have both Retail + Steam-versions - you could...
1. You might want to back-up the old Steam-version Prey.exe, before you move the DRM-FREE Prey.exe over, for back-up purposes.
2. Copy the DRM-FREE version of Prey.EXE into the Steam-version's folder.
3. Re-name Steam-version of Prey 2006's actual game folder (i.e. rename it to Prey 2006, Prey Classic, or whatever - i.e. rename it to anything but Prey, since Prey 2017 wants that directory)
4. Add your Prey 2006's own Prey.exe as Non-Steam game.
Tested it; works fine. :)

Also, PROFILE Folder/Saved-game folders for Prey 2006 + 2017 are different - so, at least those two have different directories for Profiles.
Prey 2006 profiles goes in My Documents\My Games\PREY
Prey 2017 profiles looks like it goes in My Documents\My Games\Arkane Studios\Prey, according to PC Gaming Wiki for Prey 2017.

I don't have Prey 2017 yet - but I guess you could always puts Steam-versions of Prey 2006 + 2017 on maybe different hard-drives?
Not sure if Prey 2017 would overwrite Prey 2006, if they are installed on separate drives.