Author Topic: New Metroid Game! ....sorta  (Read 1516 times)

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
New Metroid Game! ....sorta
« on: Saturday, December 02, 2006, 04:01:56 AM »
Scurge: Hive.

It may not be offically Metroid, but it is something of a clone. Plus, word is that it's pretty fun for Metroid fans, especially if you're in the mood for some nestolgia. Actaully, I've read it's more like a mix of Metroid and Zelda. What could be better?

The only snag is that there's a GBA version along with a DS one. Strange thing is, IGN actually says the GBA one has more graphical effects. I'm trying to find out if that's actually true or not right now.
« Last Edit: Saturday, December 02, 2006, 09:30:55 AM by idolminds »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: New Metroid Game! ....sorta
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, December 02, 2006, 10:06:54 AM »
Huh, that sounds pretty damn cool. I'll have to look for it sometime.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, December 02, 2006, 12:29:27 PM »
It looks awesome!  I haven't bought a GBA game in so long, I'm totally going to pick this up.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, December 03, 2006, 06:04:08 PM »
Hey, the GBA version of this is not bad.  I don't think it's up to par with the GBA Metroids.  But considering how the GBA has been nearly abandoned since the DS, this does stand out.  It's isometric, not sidescrolling.  It will be frustrating to some degree trying to line up shots and jumps.  The premise is very similar to Metroid's.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, February 14, 2007, 01:06:06 PM »
Well, I picked up the game a few weeks ago and finished it last night.

Not a bad little game. I almost hate to say it like that, but it really is just a little game, at least by todays standards. It's got some cool stuff, but it gets bogged down by too many key hunts and not enough other meat for its own good. The level design gets a little too formulaic by the end as well (you look for the same number and kind of keys in each area). Thankfully, this is mostly offset by the fact that you are always on a timer that you need to reset by getting to save points, so you can't doodle around too much. The isometric view probably hurts the game more than it helps it too; several times, especially when I was getting used to playing it, it would almost hurt to play after a few minutes because constantly moving in diagonals is sort  of a pain on the DS pad.

Still, I enjoyed it well enough and I think it'd be worth a look when it hits the bargin bin (<$10). I imagine that won't be so long since the DS game had already dropped to $20 when I bought it. The GBA version should be nice and cheap soon and wouldn't be a bad way to go since the DS version really just makes the map easier to look at.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, February 14, 2007, 09:04:55 PM »
I'll probably snag it if I see it.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野