Author Topic: Final Fantasy VI!  (Read 2748 times)

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
Final Fantasy VI!
« on: Tuesday, February 13, 2007, 10:50:34 PM »
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline PyroMenace

Re: Final Fantasy VI!
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, February 13, 2007, 10:57:29 PM »
Ah I was waiting for this review. Better than I thought. A friend of mine was a bit displeased mainly at how the game's music felt cheapened, which is what usually falters the most in GBA ports due to its inferior sound hardware to the SNES's capabilites. Still, I want it to at least experience the game through once since I never did.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, February 13, 2007, 11:22:17 PM »
I'm a little miffed at the sound situation, but I guess there's not much you can do.

A year ago I would have snatched the cartridge right up, but these days I don't know. I already own two versions of the game (PSX and the original cart), so it'd be a bit excessive. It is my favorite in the series, but I'm having an easier time resisting things like that these days.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, February 13, 2007, 11:52:33 PM »
This one is probably one of my favorites (ever since FFXII I have a hard time deciding which one I liked more), but I don't see myself getting this as I already own Final Fantasy Anthology, still its good to see a good review.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, February 14, 2007, 12:05:58 AM »
It's certainly my favorite (with IX), but i don't think I'll get it.  I still haven't beaten IV for the GBA, and I've finished this one a few times.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, February 14, 2007, 12:39:04 AM »
I have it on PSX, and I can definitely say that most of you love it because of nostalgia.  I tried to get into it, and there are definitely some super awesome things it did for the time, and I can guarantee you that I would have loved a lot of elements had I played it in a timely fashion... but it's boring as fuck now, no way around it.  I couldn't force myself through it any further than I did.  It still has a place in my heart, though, to the point where I almost want to finish it just to see what happens to the characters.  But the gameplay... ugh.  No.  I can't do it.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, February 14, 2007, 12:49:34 AM »
haaha

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, February 14, 2007, 02:10:03 AM »
I have it on PSX, and I can definitely say that most of you love it because of nostalgia.  I tried to get into it, and there are definitely some super awesome things it did for the time, and I can guarantee you that I would have loved a lot of elements had I played it in a timely fashion... but it's boring as fuck now, no way around it.  I couldn't force myself through it any further than I did.  It still has a place in my heart, though, to the point where I almost want to finish it just to see what happens to the characters.  But the gameplay... ugh.  No.  I can't do it.

Well yeah, the gameplay seems stiff now compared to the newer FF games, but back in the SNES era it was good stuff.  I'll admit that most of my like for it was the story and characters though, it seemed a lot more different somehow than the other FF games from before its time and had a certain charm to it that none of the other games had.  I can honestly say that my like for it isn't just all nostalgia.  Now that I think about it some more though, FFXII is probably my favorite FF game, especially because of the gameplay, the characters and story just add to FFXII's depth.  Speaking of which, have you finished FFXII yet, Que?

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, February 14, 2007, 02:53:34 AM »
This is a game which I got into for a long time on the SNES, yet I never finished it.  I loved it at first, but the huge length, most of which is spent in those random battles, eventually wore me down.  It was very rare for me to abandon a game midstream back then.  What's good about it is very good.  Too bad about those never-ending random battles.

There's no 16-bit game opening I like more, and that's strictly because of Uematsu's tune, as the mechs walk through the snow into the distance.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, February 14, 2007, 11:38:22 AM »
God, I hate you guys.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, February 14, 2007, 12:32:09 PM »
Yeah, but Que, you could pretty much say that about any 16 bit game...none of them really hold up.  Personally I like FFVI the most because as a whole it's a lot better of a game then say FFVII (notice how each character actually has a personality, backstory, and a bit of intrigue behind them), FFVIII (lets try to appeal to goth kids a little more), and pretty much every other ff since.  And lets not kid ourselves...the actual gameplay behind pretty much any FF game is more or less somehting you just sort of deal with where the real strength is in the character development and story - and that's where FFVI shines.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, February 14, 2007, 01:53:15 PM »
That's exactly the problem with the whole franchise.  Square (now Square Enix) should drop the other shoe, and redo the franchise as direct-to-DVD movies, with tech and artistry to match Advent Children.  Why saddle the rigid stories and complex character development with tedious interactivity?

I got to "sample" this port.  (Good enough, Ant?)  The job seems fine for the hardware.  Audio is not bad at all.  The look is pretty much the same.  Some text has changed, and the dialogue seems more natural because of it.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, February 14, 2007, 09:02:39 PM »
I disagree that VI was better than VII, actually.  I find them pretty comparable.  Neither had a lot of depth as far as characters if you ask me.  Good characters, but not super deep.  And I disagree entirely that no 16-bit games hold up.  I can think of many off the top of my head that I never played until well after their lives had passed and still enjoyed like crazy.  FFVI isn't one of them.

And Cobra, don't knock XII until you've tried it!  Seriously.  There is no doubt in my mind that it kicks the living shit out of every other FF game on every conceivable level.  Some of this is most definitely personal preference, but I find absolutely everything about it better than every other FF game I ever played, including those I played when they were actually contemporarily relevant.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野