Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time / Master Quest  (Read 4978 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time / Master Quest
« on: Sunday, September 17, 2006, 09:22:37 AM »
So I found this for $20 here, which is $10 more than I was willing to pay but I needed something aside from Metroid Prime to hold me till my ordered games arrive.

So I am near the end of the Deku Tree bit, and the game is surprisngly good so far. I read that it was created in 1998, which makes it older than Tomb Raider. It does not feel like it.

Quite fun. Retro gaming, yeaah.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time / Master Quest
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, September 17, 2006, 11:22:51 AM »
Actually the First Tomb Raider was released on Sega Saturn (and Playstation) on 22 November 1996. I remember because it's a day before my borthday, and it's the present I got the following day :P

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, September 17, 2006, 11:31:47 AM »
Yup you are right, because it was a couple of years before I left for Canada. Makes a lot more sense now.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, September 17, 2006, 12:44:06 PM »
Man, TR 1 was awesome.. I really miss the good ol' days. I played Zelda: The Ocarina of Time of N64, I thought it was great!

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, September 17, 2006, 12:51:44 PM »
Masterful game.  Those were the best days of gaming, for me at least.  If you like it, make sure to play Majora's Mask too.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, September 17, 2006, 02:54:31 PM »
I havent gotten around to Majoras Mask, but I really liked OoT.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, September 17, 2006, 03:08:43 PM »
Yeah, I never really played MM, but Zelda:OoT was one of the best games ever.  I didn't play videogames nearly as much before that one.  I was in grade 12 when it came out and I bought it the first day after a buddy at school was going off about how he just bought it and it was going to be awesome.   About two weeks later my entire relationship with my girlfriend was going downhill fast because she's pretty much the thing I cut out to make time for Zelda.  To this day I firmly stand by my decision.  Especially since she turned out to be the biggest bitch I've ever met and Zelda turned out to be the coolest game I've ever played.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, September 17, 2006, 03:12:45 PM »
I still haven't played it.  I have the GC one I got with  Wind Waker, but to this day haven't played it.  I played through some of the beginning, but it didn't hook me and I just haven't had time.  I never had an N64 so I didn't get it the first time around.  That was the only console I really skipped since the PS.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, September 17, 2006, 03:16:40 PM »
Que, if you are bored and dont know what to play one night, play OoT. The first dungeon isnt so hot, but after that it starts to pick up and its a great game.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, September 17, 2006, 03:18:30 PM »
I'm sure it is.  I just haven't really had the time to dedicate to it and hence have just never invested the time to get past the first dungeon.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, September 17, 2006, 09:23:53 PM »
Que, if you are bored and dont know what to play one night, play OoT. The first dungeon isnt so hot, but after that it starts to pick up and its a great game.

That's exactly what I was going to say.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, September 17, 2006, 10:09:54 PM »
I was playing OoT on either Project 64 or 1964 a while ago with the high res texture pack and some other enhancements a few months ago and it was really sweet.  I'd reccomend it, but n64 emulation can be a bitch at times, especially since it's a hard control scheme to make comofortable on a pc gamepad.

Edit:  But if you wanted to get a n64-usb converter....damn.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #12 on: Monday, September 18, 2006, 12:10:07 AM »
Yea I am playing it on the Gamecube and they've upped the resolution and stuff a bit. It looks ok.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #13 on: Monday, September 18, 2006, 05:13:48 AM »
I tried playing it again on the Gamecube when I got this disc, but I just couldn't take it.  Blur city.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: Monday, September 18, 2006, 06:59:38 AM »
I was playing OoT on either Project 64 or 1964 a while ago with the high res texture pack and some other enhancements a few months ago and it was really sweet.  I'd reccomend it, but n64 emulation can be a bitch at times, especially since it's a hard control scheme to make comofortable on a pc gamepad.

Edit:  But if you wanted to get a n64-usb converter....damn.

PC controllers usually follow the (much-better, imho) Sony DS layout.  A good scheme on the Zelda games is to map C-down and C-left to the right and top buttons (respectively).  Assign your 2 most-used items to those.  A less-used item can be assigned to the 3rd slot.  That (C-right) and Navi (C-up) can be mapped to whatever buttons you have leftover.  It's worked really well for me.  The button positions are the same, except you're missing C-up and C-right.  Those make you lift and move your thumb (on the N64) anyway, so it's not hard to get used to them being elsewhere entirely.

Edit:  I still have this pic on my former webspace (which still works just because it does):

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #15 on: Monday, September 18, 2006, 07:22:08 AM »
I really liked the time dynamic of Majora's Mask and having to figure out and solve certain mysteries in a certain time.  Fun stuff.