Author Topic: People complain about the stupidest shit in regards to Wii  (Read 9922 times)

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
People complain about the stupidest shit in regards to Wii
« on: Sunday, September 17, 2006, 02:20:41 PM »
Seriously, people are bitching about the stupidest thing when it comes to Wii.  Yeah, I know people always complain about certain aspects of a console right before and right after it hits the market, and yes a lot of the time the criticisms are pretty weak, but this is a little more ridiculous then usual.

-$250 OMG....WTF?  That's too expensive LOL!  $250 for a console at launch with game isn't much really.  Fuck, videocards cost more then that when they first come out (well some of them).  When was the last time a console included a game at launch?  The SNES?  Yeah, sure the console itself maybe should be a bit cheaper because of the level of technology present in it compaired to the others, but lets not forget this isn't a console like previous ones.  The technological focus is different.  It's not purely about the gpu and cpu, it's about the new motion sensing ability of the console.  The fact that it includes a controller, nunchuck thingy, and sensing station has a cost attached to it.  Not to mention the fact that you're paying for all the R&D on that.  If you think $250 is too much for a piece of hardware you know has a lifespan of 4-5 years you have two options;  1. )  do without it or 2.) wait for the inevitable price drop.  $250 isn't much period...deal with it.

-NO DVD PLAYER?!?!  Seriously, you care about this?  Fuck, in my house alone, not including drives in pcs, laptops, and consoles there are 4 dvd players. Actually, wait....5...one of them is portable.  There's also a tiny one a roomate brought back from japan that isn't even hooked up to anything.  If you wanted to count the other dvd players there's probably a double digit number of dvd players in my house considering there's two ps2s, one xbox, I have two in my pc, and each one of my roomates has one in their pc, and a couple have dvd burners in their laptops.  Sure, I live in a house with 5 other people, but come on...these things cost fucking nothing now.  They basically give them away in ceral boxes.  People actually complain about no dvd playback.

-No Hd.   I'm on the fence about this one.  It seems like a waste to release a new console without HD support.  I mean, there definitly is a market for it now, and over the next five years more and more people are going to be out buying hdtvs or monitors with composite connections.  It makes the games look nicer with a pretty small hit to the hardware, so it seems like an all around good idea.  At the same time, I can see where nintendo is coming from.  They want to keep the costs down, and with a console that is completely marketable as a machine that doesn't sell on graphics (for the first time in console history possibly) it seems like a good thing to cut out.  An option would be nice, but that doesn't seem like the kind of thing you could add on with a hardware peripheral for any price that would make it worthwhile.

-No Hard Drive.  I'm one of the first people to say that they best thing about the xbox was the inclusion of a hard drive.  Even though it was a technology that wasn't fully utilized (we should have seen more games that actually took advantage of it from a gameplay perspective....like nintendo tried to do with the 64DD), it has it's uses.  But again, with something like the wii I'd rather the lower price then the harddrive.  It still has enough flash memory for game saves, patches, and roms, and it has expandable memory through sd cards, so that works as well.

-Nintendo includes composite instead of component cables.  You have to buy component seperately.  Fuck, if you're the kind of person that has a tv that accepts component and you're picky enough to need it to enjoy a game, you can afford the $20-30 it'll probably cost for it.  Most people, however, use composite.  It's a non-issue.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: People complain about the stupidest shit in regards to Wii
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, September 17, 2006, 02:29:50 PM »
The Wii doesn't use DVD??!?!!??

What format does its games actually use? Its own homebrew???

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, September 17, 2006, 02:50:35 PM »
Well, the lacking DVD player is a downside, but it's not a big issue for me. The lack of a hard drive is the one that kinda bugs me. It reminds me of the annoying Playstation memory cards. It's good to have memory cards in case you'd like to backup your saves and other info, but I don't think they should be the primary storage.

Still, at the price the Wii is coming it's totally worth it. Ideally I wouldn't wanna spend a ridiculous amount on a console, and the Wii fits the bill.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, September 17, 2006, 03:02:34 PM »
A good one I saw on IGN: it doesnt come with rechargable batteries. Just go buy a couple rechargable AAs and quit bitching. I for one think its nice that they didnt go and make it a propritary battery that costs $40 to replace like all these new gadgets seem to use

I think complaining about the price is kind of nuts. Look at it:

Xbox 360 Core system (no HDD, wired controller) + one game to play = $350
Wii (No HDD, wireless controller)+ uh...comes with a game = $250

I wont even bring up the PS3 prices. Its still a cheap console launch. For the price of a barebones 360 and one game you can get a Wii and have 3 games to play (wii Sports plus 2 more of your choosing). Whats not to like? You could even take the Wii home with a Wii Points card and go buy a bunch of NES/SNES/N64 games for cheap. Can you do that on the Core 360? It doesnt have any place to store Live Arcade games.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, September 17, 2006, 03:04:48 PM »

All signs point to it using regular DVDs (or a slightly altered version....like what GD-roms were to cds), but the software licence to play commercial video dvds isn't inlcuded.  Much like the original XBOX didn't have the ability to play movies out of the box to keep the cost down.  The cost of the licence wasn't included in the machine, but instead with the remote...so you only payed for it if you wanted to use it.

I agree that I'd like a hard drive, but it's not like you have to deal with memory cards exclusivly.  There is aparently enough onboard flash memory included in the machine for a ton of game saves and a few n64 roms.  Anything more than that and you have to insert an SD card.  The other thing is that once you've bought a rom, you can redownload it again for free should you need to delete it for whatever reason.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, September 17, 2006, 03:06:48 PM »
All signs point to it using regular DVDs (or a slightly altered version....like what GD-roms were to cds), but the software licence to play commercial video dvds isn't inlcuded.  Much like the original XBOX didn't have the ability to play movies out of the box to keep the cost down.  The cost of the licence wasn't included in the machine, but instead with the remote...so you only payed for it if you wanted to use it.

I agree that I'd like a hard drive, but it's not like you have to deal with memory cards exclusivly.  There is aparently enough onboard flash memory included in the machine for a ton of game saves and a few n64 roms.  Anything more than that and you have to insert an SD card.  The other thing is that once you've bought a rom, you can redownload it again for free should you need to delete it for whatever reason.
That's not too bad. I'm rooting for Nintendo.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, September 17, 2006, 03:17:27 PM »
Yeah, I agree.  People need to shut the fuck up.  Some things in life are worth whining about, I don't see any of these as one of them.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, September 17, 2006, 09:39:41 PM »
I think it is $50 over, but I am definitely going to get it at launch. I only wonder how well it will last those four years.

In 4 years from now, the visuals will really look dated. Consider how dated they look now, and multiply that by 4. I think it was a mistake to include such weak hardware which is apparently on par with an Xbox 180.

Think back to the PS2. When it was released it was on par with most PCs, but now the visuals don't hold up.   Unfortunately the Wii is on par with a four year old console.

I know visuals aren't the most important thing. The fact that I am enjoying a 1998 Nintendo 64 game in this age, proves it to me personally. I am just wondering a bit out loud.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, September 17, 2006, 10:06:41 PM »
Is it really just on par with the xbox, or is it somewhere between that and this generation?  It's hard to tell from the games themselves, especially the first batch that come on on the console.  I do agree that a more powerfull system would be nice...because lets not kid ourselves, graphics are a huge part of most games.  As for the $50 too much thing, I'd say they'd be better off charging $250 with your choice of launch game, but still....the $50 is pretty much for Wii Sports.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #9 on: Monday, September 18, 2006, 12:11:42 AM »
I think it looks just about par today, I am just thinking ahead. Also I forgot about Wii Sports, which is quite cool.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #10 on: Monday, September 18, 2006, 05:12:38 AM »
You know, I'm pretty happy with the way Zelda looks. And thats still a GC game as well. Wonder what it would look like if it went pure Wii.
I thought it got cancelled for the Gamecube?

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #11 on: Monday, September 18, 2006, 10:41:49 AM »
It did, I think that he was saying that they didn't change over the graphics a great deal from when they had it as a Gamecube game. If it started out as a Wii game, it woudl probably look better.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #12 on: Monday, September 18, 2006, 11:54:38 AM »
Last I heard it was going to be released for both the Wii and the Gamecube.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #13 on: Monday, September 18, 2006, 12:01:11 PM »
Yeah, I just checked IGN and on the 14th they said it would arrive later than the Wii version.   Someone at work told me the Gamecube version was cancelled.

Maybe they were referring to the fact that it's only being released on the Gamecube in North America.

Offline shock

• Poster Child
« Reply #14 on: Monday, September 18, 2006, 06:19:49 PM »
The only thing that bugs me is the lack of HD support.  I have a 52" HDTV and it is not going to look very good on it, I have a feeling.  I realize I am in the minority and everything, but I think it would have been good to offer it as an option.  MAybe like 50$ more or something.  I wouldn't mind paying it.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #15 on: Monday, September 18, 2006, 08:56:27 PM »
Speaking of that... Is it just me or does SD stuff look worse on a HDTV than it does a regular SDTV?

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #16 on: Monday, September 18, 2006, 11:05:32 PM »
From what I understand it does look worse. And I don't care what anyone says, I'd rather have the DVD drive and even a small hard drive.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #17 on: Monday, September 18, 2006, 11:06:51 PM »
I think they should have included HD support just because.  I couldn't care less about a hard drive or DVD drive, though, and I wouldn't be using the HD support even if they did include it.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: Monday, September 18, 2006, 11:48:06 PM »
Yeah, Hd would have been a good investment for them (they do support ETV, but that's not really going to cut it for a lot of people).  But I seriously think that anyconsole that includes any sort of videoplayer (DVD, Blu-ray, whatever) should make it an optional feature like microsoft did with the xbox.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday, September 19, 2006, 12:20:58 AM »
Yup so far it looks like a brilliant idea not to make the HD-DVD drive mandatory for the 360. I am just wondering how well the PS3 will utilizie the Blu-Ray. It remains to be seen.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday, September 19, 2006, 07:10:28 AM »
Speaking of that... Is it just me or does SD stuff look worse on a HDTV than it does a regular SDTV?

It really does. The best way to play SDTV stuff is on an old, regular TV.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday, September 19, 2006, 12:42:57 PM »
Personally I have no plans on switching to HDTV until way waaay later. I'll probably just buy a PC monitor/HDTV; those usually come at good prices coz they're fairly small. I found a 19" one for ~$450, so hopefully by the time I switch the prices will have dropped.

By the way what's SDTV?

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday, September 19, 2006, 12:45:02 PM »
Standard Definition Television.

I want an HDTV kind of, but I don't have anything that could really take advantage of it.  I guess I'd get a little better picture quality from my DVDs, but that's it.

Offline joeactually

• Rookie
  • Life sucks. That's your lesson. Go enjoy it.
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday, September 20, 2006, 08:33:18 AM »

Honestly, have you known Nintendo to not use it's own homebrew.  They were the masters of the cart when the cart was dead.  Gamecube was not "really" DVD either.
YOU'RE WELCOME!

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday, September 20, 2006, 08:39:06 AM »
This topic was split.  The LCD-related discussion was moved to a topic called "LCD Monitors," located on the General Discussion board.  Here is a link to the new topic:

http://www.overwritten.net/forum/index.php?topic=213.0

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday, September 20, 2006, 10:29:25 AM »
Honestly, have you known Nintendo to not use it's own homebrew.  They were the masters of the cart when the cart was dead.  Gamecube was not "really" DVD either.

Is this someone with a new name......or a..stranger?

Anyways Scott, I think you're going mad with power. 

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday, September 20, 2006, 10:32:31 AM »
Was that in jest?  The topic was completely derailed.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday, September 20, 2006, 10:36:15 AM »
haha but that's the beauty of our community. Anyway I guess it was a good idea, we can continue both discussions. :)

edit:

Wait, we are going to have to do another topic split aren't wii? :P

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday, September 20, 2006, 10:50:34 AM »
No, I only split this one because at a certain point, every single post was about something else, and there were a lot of them, like 15 or something.

Offline joeactually

• Rookie
  • Life sucks. That's your lesson. Go enjoy it.
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday, September 20, 2006, 10:52:16 AM »

Is this someone with a new name......or a..stranger?

I am a stranger.  I am one of Scott's co-workers.
YOU'RE WELCOME!

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday, September 20, 2006, 12:07:51 PM »
Excellent.  So you can agree that he's mad with power?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday, September 20, 2006, 06:09:20 PM »
Mad I say.  Burn him with things.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday, September 20, 2006, 08:11:42 PM »
Kill him! Kill him until he dies from it!

Offline gpw12

• Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday, September 20, 2006, 09:29:12 PM »
I hereby pledge allegiance to the Scottopian Hegemony.  I renounce my previous claims that our glorious leader has gone mad with power.  He is a very merciful and wise inter-god.  We are lucky to be watched over by someone such as the Mighty Saviour.

He fucking banned me.  We must start a resistance movement before he crushes all of our spirits like he crushed Que's.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday, September 20, 2006, 10:26:05 PM »
It appears gpw11 has spawned an offspring: gpw12. And it completely contradicts everything gpw11 stands for!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday, September 20, 2006, 10:35:56 PM »
My spirit is fine.  I just like to burn things.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #36 on: Thursday, September 21, 2006, 09:38:31 PM »
Hey this is like Evil Pug's cousin, except meaner.

Cools

« Reply #37 on: Thursday, September 21, 2006, 11:13:10 PM »
No HD and component out? Pffst!