Author Topic: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is coming  (Read 24711 times)

Offline PyroMenace

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is coming
« on: Friday, March 16, 2007, 03:02:15 AM »
Well damn, its just now hitting me. Its going to be released in 5 days... well 4 days. I can still barely believe it. I was almost awaiting the news for the next delay. Well I think God of War is going to wait, I'm gonna get my anxious paws on this one as soon as possible.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is coming
« Reply #1 on: Friday, March 16, 2007, 03:19:51 AM »
Sweet! I was thinking the same thing :P That's some good news :)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Friday, March 16, 2007, 06:26:18 AM »
I've definitely moved out of that realm for the moment.  Just not feeling into the subject matter right now.  I'm sure that will change, but there's no sense of urgency for me at this point. I'll wait a while, see how the game turned out.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #3 on: Friday, March 16, 2007, 06:59:08 AM »
I have it pre-ordered.  It's kind of exciting, but nothing like the impending release of Ocarina of Time or Perfect Dark.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #4 on: Friday, March 16, 2007, 08:48:28 AM »
For some reason I am not very excited like Scottws. I think the many delays have hurt the excitement a bit. A year ago the same visuals would have been much nicer. On the other hand I pray this game kicks ass. PCs need some excitement, especially in the shooter department.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #5 on: Friday, March 16, 2007, 09:03:58 AM »
I just hope it doesn't turn out like Boiling Point! They've had the time to refine the game, so I could just be worrying too much..

The graphics look decent, from what we've seen so far. I'm really excited about the physics too!

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #6 on: Friday, March 16, 2007, 09:32:28 AM »
I really hope STALKER pulls it off. I think having open-ended worlds in a shooter could be a great thing. Boiling Point was too buggy for anyone to really care. But if STALKER gets it right, it could lead to great things in the future (come on open-ended zombie survival FPS!)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #7 on: Friday, March 16, 2007, 10:27:21 AM »
I really hope this is a 95% game. From the previews it definitely looked to be a late 80s early 90s quality title, but I hope it is even better.

Far Cry came at us out of no where and we need other games to do the same. I know S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is a known quantity, but I really want it to do well damnit. All this negative PC shit is pissing me off.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #8 on: Friday, March 16, 2007, 10:37:38 AM »
I'm not excited about this game either... but we'll see how it ends up doing.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #9 on: Friday, March 16, 2007, 01:52:14 PM »
I'm hoping STALKER turns out great. I been looking forward to this when I first heard about it, but got sick of following it after all the delays. So, I did care, but that was put on hold....

Eventually, after that recent interview talking about why it took so long and all, I heard a lot of the stuff I heard from when it was first previewed -- and then some. The caring that was put on hold is back again.

It looks to be very ambitious -- and they took A LOT of time, having the game delayed over the last few years, to try and keep their ambitions to get them actually into the game, too.

I'm just hoping it ain't too buggy. I hope it runs great.

I could really go for a 40 hour-plus FPS, myself.
For some reason I am not very excited like Scottws. I think the many delays have hurt the excitement a bit. A year ago the same visuals would have been much nicer.
I think the visuals being dated by "a year or two" are the LAST of my concerns, right now.

On the other hand I pray this game kicks ass. PCs need some excitement, especially in the shooter department.
This is what I'm looking forward.

After a few years of sleeping, the RPG genre was really booming on the PC last year w/ Oblivion, Oblivion expansion, Titan Quest, NWN 2, to name a few. And this year, The RPG genre is booming still -- with Jade Empire PC, WoW Expansion, and Titan Quest Expansion out now -- and these upcoming games: Oblivion's Shivering Isles Expansion, The Witcher, Sacred 2, a possible NWN 2 expansion, and rumors of another Guild Wars stand-alone expansion for later this year.

The FPS genre seems to not be booming as much, the last few years. FEAR was pretty big the year before last, we had a FEAR expansion last year. Quake 4 was good, when it came out. Prey was great, released last year. We had Painkiller a few years ago or so. HL2: Episode 1 came out and was good, but nothing great. So, yuh -- genres do go through cycles, though this year in the FPS genre look exciting again -- STALKER, Bioshock, and Crysis due out all this year. I'd mention Halo 2 PC, but I don't think it'll be that great, just like the original Halo; plus, I was NOT impressed w/ what I played for Halo 2 on the XBox, anyways.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #10 on: Friday, March 16, 2007, 02:34:47 PM »
Beginning the week of 3/18, STALKER will be $34.99 at TARGET, for those who want to know. It says it will be released there on 3/22.

I should note, it'll be $39.99 at Best Buy and says it'll be released at 2PM on 3/21; now, their edition will give you an EXCLUSIVE BEST-BUY ONLY Multi-Player MAP DOWNLOAD.

So, you probably might want to do a "price match" @ your nearby Best Buy w/ your Target flyer in-hand (so you can get Target's price) AND so you can get that free BB Exclusive map.

Though, I really wonder how soon it'll be until someone releases that map online to the Net. You know it'll happen, when companies do that "exclusive object only to this store" crap.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #11 on: Monday, March 19, 2007, 11:15:49 PM »
And gamespot's score is an 8.5. Sweet, can't wait to snag it tomorrow.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #12 on: Monday, March 19, 2007, 11:30:34 PM »
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl has always been an overly ambitious game, which is probably why it has arrived several years later than originally expected. The game's goal is to create a virtual world with an ecology all its own and then place you in the middle of it. That's something that's rarely been attempted, particularly in a first-person game. However, to the credit of THQ and Ukrainian developer GSC Game World, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is an impressive accomplishment. This first-person survival game is at times amazing and engrossing and on par with such classics as Deus Ex and System Shock.

Nice.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #13 on: Monday, March 19, 2007, 11:34:24 PM »
It makes me happy.  Some problems, but hopefully some patching will take care of the worst of it, and at least what's in there is apparently cool and fun.  That's all I need.

Well, except for the money to buy it.  Come on, tax return...

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, March 20, 2007, 12:15:12 AM »
Yea there are some quest bugs, and I find it worrisome that the storyline is hard to follow.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, March 20, 2007, 12:25:09 AM »
Oh come on, who's playing it for the storyline?  I get to explore creepytown while competing with other crazy guys with guns while evading and killing insane, radioactive mutants.  With a formula like that, you don't even need a story.  But seriously, I sort of expected that part to not work out very well from the beginning just because the devs are from Ukraine.  I just didn't picture a compelling story really being an integral part of the package.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, March 20, 2007, 12:56:46 AM »
No one is playing it for the storyline, but I find a focused storyline important to the experience. Even if it is an open ended game. There is only so much aimless wandering you can do.

But seriously, I sort of expected that part to not work out very well from the beginning just because the devs are from Ukraine. 

Yes I agree and that's why I didn't expect much in terms of story telling.

I just didn't picture a compelling story really being an integral part of the package.

I never said I wanted a compelling story, just coherent.
and I find it worrisome that the storyline is hard to follow

Pure action without a focused story bores me, unless it is multiplayer action. I realized this after going through HL2 again. I don't want an award winning script, but something concise is satisfactory. Playing HL2 again was like cutting with a dull knife.

To be fair though, the storyline could very well be coherent, because gamespot seemed to have trouble getting past the accents. I guess that is to be expected from the reviewer having not been around foreigners much. I'll see how Eurogamer.net reviews this one, though I've already ordered the game so hurrah.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday, March 20, 2007, 06:17:20 PM »
Quote from: GameSpot
Much of S.T.A.L.K.E.R.'s story is a bit hard to figure out, thanks to the fact that it's delivered mainly through short journal entries, cryptic cinematic cutscenes, and hard-to-understand Ukrainian and Russian accents.
Oh, so it's basically like HL2 -- cryptic at times on the story, eh? hehe.

Is there English subtitles? If so, that would help if you have issues dealing w/ the accent....

Hmmm....I wonder how good/bad the audio would be, if it was in straight up Russian audio w/ English subtitles...

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, March 20, 2007, 06:17:59 PM »
Probably much better.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday, March 20, 2007, 11:44:16 PM »
I am sure it has more subs.

And I am sure nevertheless the story is still better told than HL2.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday, March 21, 2007, 10:51:45 AM »
New GFW podcast the guy is talking about STALKER. Sounds pretty sweet. He mentions theres a lot of stuff thats just "there". Like a busted up factory, something that took some guy weeks/months to design and build..and then there will be 2 guys in it and nothing major. He says its strange because we are so used to other shooters where, if theres something big and built, it has a purpose. Its worth your time to check it out. But Stalker...it may not be worth checking out.

Which is kinda cool. Its different from the extremely linear FPS games we get. I'd like to see more games with things to see just for the sake of seeing them. I love exploring, so I'll probably enter every building in Stalker.

*EDIT*

Heh...they read my geometry wars question.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, March 21, 2007, 11:53:49 AM by idolminds »

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, March 21, 2007, 11:00:23 AM »
Apparently this game is quite the system hog. Maybe I should put off getting this. I have it pre-ordered.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, March 21, 2007, 06:05:27 PM »
What was your question, idol?  Just because I don't feel like listening to a podcast, heh.

Anyway, I got Stalker.  From the mystical underworld store.  Cough cough, etc.  I'm mostly curious about how bad the bugs are and how well it runs.  I'll give a full report tonight.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday, March 21, 2007, 06:09:32 PM »
I asked them their thoughts on Geometry Wars being Vista exclusive, pointing out the game is already hacked and runs on XP perfectly fine. Just wanted to see what they would say. Mostly mentioned the many clones available. And while they didnt say it was stupid for MS to do that, they said more along the lines of "What did you expect? They are pushing the new OS hard"

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday, March 21, 2007, 06:39:34 PM »
Well, I got an e-mail from GoGamer... S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is on its way.  I'll be playing it probably this time next week.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday, March 21, 2007, 07:58:16 PM »
Score of EIGHT (out of 10) from 1Up

Slag Pile of Forking Paths
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. isn't quite The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. You can't pick a compass point and press on until you hit something interesting; invisible radiation prevents you from scouting a level's perimeter and looking out over the edges, and still S.T.A.L.K.E.R.'s landscape is less movie set "Main Street" than Call of Duty's or Half-Life's or Ghost Recon's. However constant the tracks, the width of the course changes: Early on, an elevated railway impedes progress. Government men guard one road beneath a bridge and will let you through for a fee or a gunfight. A tunnel works, too & only it's stoppered with electromagnetic anomalies (the PDA file on a nearby dead man explains the environmental puzzle). And finally, a hole in the fence lets you through, if you look to find it. Even when the way isn't triplicate, it feels more natural than another FPS's unspooling script. You'll circle a building burglarlike, for example, before finding a point of entry (and perhaps meet a prisoner who -- calling from his cell window -- makes a mission offer as you pass).
Though, Oblivion also let you just roam the world and NOT click that location, if you don't want to click on that location. Fast travel was there, if you wanted to use it, which is great. Nobody's forcing you to use the damn feature.

All the stuff listed above, damn --- sounds cool to me. Sounds different than your average "Shoot what moves" FPS. That's what I'm talking about!

Everything Bad is Good for You author Steve Johnson argues that "far more than books or movies or music, games force you to make decisions [&] all the intellectual benefits of gaming derive from this fundamental virtue, because learning how to think is ultimately about learning to make the right decisions: weighing evidence, analyzing situations, consulting your long-term goals, and then deciding." I'll add that choice-rich games are often not only more intellectually engaging, but also more entertaining. Too few single-player shooters force us to make decisions other than when to shoot and what to shoot it with.
So true about shooters. They're often, too linear.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. complicates things by adding both "how to get there" and "whom to oppose/whom to help." One time -- and, like Oblivion, this is the variety of videogame that lends itself to stories that start with "one time" -- I encountered a gang of itinerant stalkers off the highway, and I wondered what was going on. "Buy a Gauss magnetic accelerator gun?" one asked. He wanted next to nothing for it. But once my money was in his hands, he told me to beat it. I happened to have a loaded underbarrel grenade launcher, but the decision to barter and then to fight back cost me more in scarce munitions than in coin.
Ahhhh.....that's interesting. Cool.

Although RPG-like, the game won't let you click-port between key map points to cut out the hiking.
Would've been a nice feature.

More games should take lessons from Oblivion, in that regard. "Fast travel" can be your friend, if you just want to get things done and all. :) It was great in Oblivion to have this, just if I wanted to go to location to do a certain quest NOW and just DO IT NOW if I wanted to.

Though, it is also damn sweet to just roam the damn world...just to actually roam it and see what you can run into. That is awesome stuff, too.

STALKER sounds like one of those games a good mix of both styles would work out well for me, I bet. A "fast travel" would've probably been nice to have at your disposal and all. Maybe add it into a patch? Maybe input it next time around for STALKER expansion? Or maybe even STALKER 2???

Similarly, a more RPG-derived economy might've solved another snafu (that also leads to the least satisfying of S.T.A.L.K.E.R.'s moralizing endings): lotsa money to spend and little to spend it on.
A thought -- maybe there should be an extra in-game diffuculty that ramps up the cost of items to purchase or something?!?!? There's a thought.

Or just change the costs in a patch and increase them??? That's another thought.

Also, it's not good to have not too much unique stuff at your disposal, for purchasing and/or finding around the gameworld. I know Titan Quest is an RPG and all, but that game has so much unique loot in it, I just keep coming back to it so I can sell, purchase and find all kinds of cool loot.

Still, regardless, this STALKER does sound a fresh of breath air, compared to most formulaic FPS's. It really sounds like they got a good foundation down w/ STALKER. I wonder what they could do w/ a sequel.....

I just hope the performance issues and bugs gets smashed up, soon enough....That seems like the biggest issue w/ this game, regardless of where I read a STALKER review.

Offline Jedi

• Poster Child
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday, March 21, 2007, 08:14:54 PM »
In one regard I agree fast travel's a good idea and really handy to get stuff done, but it would be nice if the fast travel took on the form of some kind of public transportation much like Elder Scrolls 3. It helps keep your head in the game.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday, March 21, 2007, 08:22:44 PM »
In one regard I agree fast travel's a good idea and really handy to get stuff done, but it would be nice if the fast travel took on the form of some kind of public transportation much like Elder Scrolls 3. It helps keep your head in the game.
I prefer the travel system in Oblivion, myself.

Was kind of annoying to go hop from one area, to the next, to the next, just to get from one side of the world to another b/c certain towns only go to certain towns w/ them silt striders.

Best part about both games; you're not forced to use its quicker travel system.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday, March 21, 2007, 09:12:35 PM »
Quick travel makes no sense for this game.  If it was there, it would feel wrong.

Anyway, I've given it a couple of hours now, and I've gotta' say, I'm really impressed.  This is the kind of game that gives you a really bad first impression, then makes you realize how cool it is.  And I shouldn't say *really bad* first impression, but the game is very awkward in its adaptation to English.  Most of the spoken dialogue that isn't specific to individual characters (i.e. the stuff you'll hear around campfires or when guys are just hanging out) is all still in Russian.  Good luck understanding it -- there's no subtitle option for that or the English stuff.  There are some problems with the translation here or there in that it's a bit off or just strangely worded.  I haven't encountered any actual bugs yet, but apparently there are quite a number, and you get the feeling from the game that it isn't the most tightly-developed thing ever.

HOWEVER -- despite all this, I'm totally compelled in a very different way than I have been in some time.  The fact that the characters speak Russian certainly feels authentic, and it's hard to say that it feels out of place... because it doesn't.  A little annoying that you can't understand it, but it makes you feel like you're really there, in a foreign place.  The same goes for the occasionally awkward translation.  While sometimes funky, it's pretty darn functional, and I haven't encountered anything really wonky yet.  It feels like what it is -- English as a second language, and it doesn't feel out of place because of the fact that you are where you are.  The English voice acting is actually pretty good, too.  Certainly not the best ever, but not bad.  The main guy you talk to is actually pretty entertaining.

So how does it play?  So far, so good.  It's really cool in the sense that it's very easy to call it "Oblivion with guns" or something lame like that, but that wouldn't describe it at all.  As MyD already sort of got some of that in there I don't have to go into detail, but yeah, this isn't Oblivion in scope, but it's definitely a step in that direction for the shooter genre.  It feels free, it feels like unique and random stuff happens pretty frequently, and you never quite know what's going to happen or where the game is going to take you.  There's lots and lots of stuff to do in terms of "quests" and such, and the PDA menu stuff is pretty well done.  It's easy to find lots of information and figure out what you're doing and where you are.  The map is quite nice, too.  Inventory system is pretty standard, but it works.  The remarkable thing is that while you've got all these sorts of RPG trappings, lots of seemingly virtual life kind of stuff going on, and all that kind of thing that's usually not at all present in a shooter...but this still *feels* like a shooter, not an RPG.  It isn't the tightest ever given that some of the focus has gone into those other elements, but it doesn't RPG-ize the core shooter feel.  So that's pretty cool.

Anyway, those are my impressions.  Right now, all I can say is that I'm really enjoying it and despite some wonkiness, and if this thing gets the apparent bugs patched out of it, this is going to be one hell of a game.  The graphics are a little dated, and there's some things just not quite right, but all in all it's fun, compelling, oozes atmosphere, and seems to have a whole lot going for it.  I'm totally eager to jump right back in... so I'm gonna' go do that now.  More to follow!

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #29 on: Wednesday, March 21, 2007, 10:57:23 PM »
Damn you Que. I still dont have the damn game. *grumbles*

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday, March 21, 2007, 11:50:35 PM »

That is an excellent idea. I hate fast traveling in Oblivion because I feel like I am taken out of the idea. It isn't really Oblivion's fault, but my own preference.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #31 on: Thursday, March 22, 2007, 12:59:43 AM »
So a few more things after a few more hours -- still no errors for me, which is a good thing, and the game's fun factor keeps going up.  The world really does feel quite alive.  The day/night cycle is quite slow, so you don't feel like things are rapidly passing you by, and that's a good thing, as some missions have time limits.  Stalker rookies from the gateway camp wander to outposts and do their thing, killing off threats as they see fit, and bandit raiders run around trying to kill them and (presumably) take their stuff.  It works really nicely, as you can get drawn into random fights just to help out your buddies or snag some weapons and food, stuff to sell, whatever.  Mutant creatures wander around.  Sometimes they fight people, sometimes each other.  They can be totally in the background or pretty entertaining depending on the situation.  The missions are pretty varied and fun, generally just asking you to go kill shit, talk to somebody, get something, whatever.  But it's a shooter, so you wouldn't expect much else.  The weapon list isn't growing too fast (four weapons so far... one pistol, a sawed-off, two assault rifles), so they're pacing it well enough, but they keep giving you little rewards and incentives to continue, not the least of those being the incentive to see new things.  So far there really hasn't been anything scary at all.  The game is very atmospheric and moody, but you just know crazy stuff is going to happen as you get nearer to the center of the exclusion zone.  And that's great, because it makes the beginning stuff feel alien, cool, and interesting, but still like a walk in the park compared to what may happen later.  Of course, I don't know this for certain, but the feeling is right.  I can't wait to get in deeper, but I'm taking my time getting outfitted and earning money.

Apparently one problem is the money is fairly useless in the game as you always have way more than you need, which is kind of a shame.  Maybe they can balance it in a patch or somebody will hack it.

Also keebs, I don't find this game to be a system hog *at all*.  It runs far, far better than Oblivion or FEAR, say.  I'm running it at 1280x1024 with basically everything cranked (barring too much AF and any AA) and it runs smooth as butter pretty much all the time.  I haven't had any hitching at all except for the occasional jump when it's streaming a new area or whatever, and when the "drunk" effect did some stuff to the screen.  Otherwise it's been perfect.  And believe me, I don't get perfect at those settings with either of the other aforementioned games.

Lastly, just because I remembered to mention it, the game feels much more heavily tactical even though it really isn't.  Movement will scatter your shots like mad, and that really matters because the guns are, thus far at least, *far* from accurate.  Even a pistol doesn't give you anywhere near a guarantee of a good hit, even if you aim properly.  Despite initial misgivings, I actually rather like it.  The firefights last longer and feel more intense, and when you manage to drop a guy it's quite satisfying.  I feel like it's actually *too* much on the side of difficult aiming, etc., but it does help give the game a more tactical feel.  The AI isn't too shabby either, and while it's far from the best I've ever seen, it's not stupid.  The guys use cover, flank you, and appear to work pretty well as a team.  It's good that they work well, because you do almost as much "team" fighting as you do solo.

So... yeah.  Good stuff!

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #32 on: Thursday, March 22, 2007, 07:25:22 AM »
alright. gonna be picking this bad boy up after work
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #33 on: Thursday, March 22, 2007, 08:40:43 AM »
Just got this today along with Jade Empire Special Ed. I've installed both but I am still playing through the brilliant Vegas and am wondering if I should wait.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #34 on: Thursday, March 22, 2007, 09:21:36 AM »
I'm going to punch you, Pug. I'm going to punch you right in the uterus.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #35 on: Thursday, March 22, 2007, 10:14:16 AM »
how did you kn...err....nevermind...

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #36 on: Thursday, March 22, 2007, 11:36:50 AM »
Hmm, I might pick this one up, since it does seem to be a fairly interesting game.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #37 on: Thursday, March 22, 2007, 01:14:14 PM »
Well I haven't played it yet because it chooses to hang before the game starts... twice now. Really pisses me off because I can't minimize or anything and if I hit ctrl alt del I just get a cursor.

Thankfully I used my asus mobo remote to switch progs. which was enough to help me restart. Bloody hell.

edit:

Working after I turned off FSAA from the nvidia control panel. Also Vsync doesn't seem to work.

Anyway I tried it for about 15 minutes and it looks pretty decent to be honest. There are some visual glitches, but nothing too upsetting. I just got into my first firefight and it wasn't bad, but it felt weird There seems to be a rawness to everything, which is more apparent after playing something highly polished like Vegas. But I am enjoying it nonetheless, and even the rough edges give the game a personality. The atmosphere is excellent, and parts of it feel authentic.

But I've been trying to upload some screenshots and can't seem to find the fucking piece of shit folder. It is really ticking me off.

edit:

I can't find the damn screenshots folder, been looking for the past twenty minutes. It isn't in the game folder and it isn't my documents like every other game. The manual has no information on it, and just copies the command list in the game. What a waste.  >:(

By some chance I found the folder location on google:

Shared Documents\STALKER-SHOC

Why the F*** did they think it was a good idea to make that the default folder for screenies? Seriously!!!

edit 3:

Posting some screenies. Got into some firefights, and they aren't bad, but the visuals are really weak. There seems to be little damage on the bodies and the blood looks really bad. There seems to be little visual reaction from those getting shot. This is just initial impressions, overall the game is really cool.

edit 4:

Anyone know why the images are showing up as 1024 x 640 when I editing it to 1680x1050??
« Last Edit: Thursday, March 22, 2007, 02:18:38 PM by Pugnate »

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #38 on: Thursday, March 22, 2007, 02:20:13 PM »

Trying a different host and same issue. What gives?

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #39 on: Thursday, March 22, 2007, 03:51:55 PM »
So I've been playing it now too finally. So far I agree with everything Que has said. Though I am having some performance issues. It gets really heavily bogged down sometimes, I mean the framerate gets shot. I'm running it on medium and judging by how the game looks it would have thought it would run better than that.