Author Topic: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is coming  (Read 24721 times)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is coming
« Reply #120 on: Thursday, June 14, 2007, 05:48:53 PM »
Most of the soundtrack is just ambient stuff.  There are only a few actual songs at the end, though these are sort of surprising.  I wasn't expecting them.  They aren't half bad.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #121 on: Friday, June 15, 2007, 04:37:13 AM »
Most of the soundtrack is just ambient stuff.  There are only a few actual songs at the end, though these are sort of surprising.  I wasn't expecting them.  They aren't half bad.

Sweet.
I downloaded it a day ago or so, but ain't listened to it.

I been too busy playing this game to listen to the Soundtrack...hehe.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #122 on: Saturday, June 16, 2007, 05:58:47 AM »
I don't know why, but I just can't get into this game. I played a few hours of it, and it just didn't draw me in at all. Instead I found it tedious and repetitive, with a lot of monotonous gameplay and frustratingly long distances to run.
Don't carry over 50 pounds, then you can run quite fast good a good time period -- hehe. ;)

Usually, if you take a mission and then enter an area, some other mission -- like say a defense mission or a "help out this Faction in a shootout" mission -- will pop up, as well. Also, if you kill lots of STALKER's and search them, you'll often find out where some of their "hidden stashes" are. And often, you'll find some good stuff, if you do.

I also like the missions where you are to go find a certain enemy and take them out. But, they don't even attack or anything. They might be just chillin' w/ their friends, who might not even be enemies for you.

Kill "Vampire" Mission
(click to show/hide)

I respect the artwork though. The game looks decent, especially with the lighting effects turned on.
Yeah, the graphics are good technically, but they look even better artistically.

One thing I do wish, though. Since you can take many missions at once, I do wish that they told you, before you took a mission, where the heck you'll be headed, since these missions are often timed for "one day (in-game time, of course)." This way, I could take all missions at say The Warehouses at once. Regardless, minor complaint.

Completely loving this game. We need more open-ended shooters like this one.

Offline Jedi

• Poster Child
« Reply #123 on: Saturday, June 16, 2007, 05:58:45 PM »
Kill "Vampire" Mission
(click to show/hide)

Are you trying to speak gangster D, becuase that sounded bizzare, "I shot his friends all up" and "I plugged him". Sounded a lot like... yeah, I think you'll see my point  :P

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #124 on: Saturday, June 16, 2007, 10:24:39 PM »
You seem to forget that D thinks he's ghetto.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #125 on: Sunday, June 17, 2007, 04:33:14 AM »
Are you trying to speak gangster D, becuase that sounded bizzare, "I shot his friends all up" and "I plugged him". Sounded a lot like... yeah, I think you'll see my point  :P

ROFLMAO @ the link to Malibu's Most Wanted!!!
Naw, I wasn't trying to sound "gangster" or "gangsta" or anything.
All I did was said what I did in that mission.
*shrugs my shoulders*

EDIT:
Quote from: Idol
I really hope STALKER pulls it off. I think having open-ended worlds in a shooter could be a great thing. Boiling Point was too buggy for anyone to really care. But if STALKER gets it right, it could lead to great things in the future
(come on open-ended zombie survival FPS!)
Oooooh, open-ended zombie survival FPS sounds good!!!

Yantar Location
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: Sunday, June 17, 2007, 09:30:40 AM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #126 on: Sunday, June 17, 2007, 08:31:57 PM »
Part ONE of an CVG's Interview w/ GSC's Anton Bolshakov (the project Leader for S.T.A.L.K.E.R.), after the game's release and success.

The Making of S.T.A.L.K.E.R., part one
16-Jun-2007 Interview: GSC's ambitious PC project is here, but it was a rocky road to release. We look back with the developer.

Back in late 2001 we got our first look at an impressive game called Oblivion Lost, then a squad-based action game from GSC Game World. In 2007 the title that we now know as S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl finally released, plunging players into a survival-FPS-RPG hybrid and the post-apocalyptic wasteland surrounding the Chernobyl power plant after its meltdown.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. was surrounded by plenty of anticipation, but what the with the lengthy development time and word leaking that certain parts of GSC's original vision for the game were being cut, concern that it wouldn't live up to hopes and expectations began to mount. However, the game turned out to be nowhere near as bad as some feared and was generally well received when it finally materialised.

With the release dust now settled, we picked up the phone and got in touch with Anton Bolshakov, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. project lead. Part one of a two-part interview is below...

CVG: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - why exactly did it take so long?

Anton Bolshakov: Firstly, it was a big-scale project, the biggest we've done. Secondly, a lot in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. was innovative (combining a shooter with RPG, open-ended world, no corridor limits etc.) and a few things were truly groundbreaking (such as A-life) - and thus tough to implement.

A mere merging of that bunch of elements and making it all work within one game was a challenge too. There was a lot of trial and error in S.T.A.L.K.E.R., but the experience gained is immense too.
And after everything, I'm glad GSC actually pulled it all off!!

I hope this one will pave the way for more open-ended FPS's, myself.

CVG: So what was your reaction to S.T.A.L.K.E.R.'s reception by press and the gaming public when it finally released?

Anton Bolshakov: As there's been so much expectation out there, we were a bit anxious as to how the players and press would ultimately react to the game after so many years of wait.

However, once we got the first game reviews and letters from the happy players, we understood the game was going to be a success. And there's hardly any reward for a developer better than the words of praise from the players. The game's success gave the team a big boost to continue working on the ideas invested in S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
I'm definitely glad this game turned out great, after it was finally completed.

CVG: What would you say is your greatest achievement with S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and why?

Anton Bolshakov: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is about a unique Chernobyl man-made accident atmosphere, the blend of FPS and RPG gameplay, freedom of movement and action in a shooter game.

A captivating story with seven endings which depend on the type of playthrough, a living-and-breathing world controlled by the A-life system, a variety of secondary quests and high replayability, the unique non-scripted AI, realistic guns, powerful DX9 engine and realistic graphics.
And yes, these are major achievements for an FPS.

Anton: There are a few ideas introduced in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. we feel have great potential for further exciting developments, such as A-life, independent NPCs and developed groupings etc.
Maybe in STALKER Expansion? STALKER 2? Some other new game they got planned?

CVG: Imagine you were just starting work on the game now - how would your approach differ from the one you originally took?

Anton Bolshakov: I think we would plan more realistic targets to achieve, would avoid many error experiments which we had to spend loads of time on. And, most likely, we would use someone else's ready-made technology, without having to waste time on creating our proprietary one, whilst having the game developed concomitantly.
Hmmmm....I wonder what tech they would use, next time around...

CVG: There were features originally envisaged that got cut. In hindsight, would you say your original vision for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. was just too ambitious?

Anton Bolshakov: Yes, sure, the project turned out to be extremely ambitious. It appears that some features may sound good and look good on paper, while in reality they turn out either complex, uninteresting or vague from the gameplay standpoint.
Makes sense.....
I'm sure Peter Molyneux has ran into something like that, before and all.

Anton: For instance, the idea of a fully A-life driven game which has no story and all happens on the random basis turned out inapplicable to the original S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

De facto, such concept is an MMORPG, but without online, based in single-player, which only helps to make the already complex development of such a game even more complicated. Such a concept should be approached step-by-step, through several projects, so that in the long run the proper balance of interest and difficulty is found.
Makes sense.

CVG: What's the one thing you would have like to have included but that didn't make it in?

Anton Bolshakov: The dynamic obstacle outskirting by AI; NPCs throwing grenades; a more developed system of relations with groupings, community; more developed groupings as they are and their actions in the Zone; the possibility to play for the groupings.
Makes sense.

CVG: Did you ever reach a point where you wanted to throw the towel in?

Anton Bolshakov: We, the developers, never had such an idea in mind. It is quite probable, though, that it popped up in the mind of our investor and the publisher. Eventually, we all had enough morale to go against all odds and finish the project.
I'm glad GSC didn't throw in the total. The FPS genre world really needed to be spun on its head like this, if you ask me.

STALKER's been great, so far...

CVG: There have been some heated reactions to the game over bugs and rough edges. What's your reaction to that, and were you pushed into hitting a deadline when you would have liked a little more time to polish the game?

Anton Bolshakov: A developer is a creative person and he could be developing his game for his entire life. So, keeping to certain deadlines is necessary. It should be noted, we did not leave any bugs in the release intentionally.

The fact that many players have suffered the technical issues is a side effect to the hugely extensive PC market in the world, and the too many of various hardware possessed by the players.

Over 60 professional testers had been working on bug testing the game for many months, the game was released with no A-class bug we were aware of.

I also would like to stress that we worked intensely on fixing the existing problems and bugs, none of us had gone on vacation. As of today, we've released three patches already. We will keep doing the fixes until there's no single major problem remaining. We are fully prepared to support the community to the top of our ability - the players mean all to us.
I can't wait until their next patch, adding that new "Free Game" Mode and all.
Keep it up, GSC!

CVG: Check back Monday morning for the second and concluding part of our interview with GSC.
I'll be lookin' forward to the 2nd half of the Interview.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #127 on: Sunday, June 24, 2007, 01:17:29 PM »
Damn, this game is absolutely awesome....
...despite I think I hit a broken quest bug....

Duty & Freedom Factions Go To War!!!
(click to show/hide)

EDIT:
One thing I found odd, is that even though most of STALKER has Subtitles, STALKER doesn't have any Subtitles for any of the Pre-Rendered Videos!

Well, one mod changed that.

And, you can now even watch Videos from a new "Videos Option" the modder added to the Main MENU Area.

All you need to do is rip this RAR file right in your STALKER folder and you're all set. :)

Video CC Version 1.11 MOD
« Last Edit: Sunday, June 24, 2007, 03:02:44 PM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #128 on: Friday, June 29, 2007, 05:55:08 PM »
GSC opens a page for Fan-Created STALKER Music.
You can download some music fans have made for STALKER right here!!!

Music collection for s.t.a.l.k.e.r.s.
26 June 2007

From today on the life of stalkers in the Zone gets more cheerful: our portal is expanded with collection of musical creations by stalker musicians.

Stalkers of all ranks, your immediate attention to location Soundtrack, section Fan-Music required.
The liked musical artifacts can be marked by your votes. Get going!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #129 on: Saturday, June 30, 2007, 03:09:12 PM »
June 30th
------------
I just beat STALKER. Awesome game.
Since there's multi-endings, I'll tell you....

The Ending I Received, this go around...
(click to show/hide)

EDIT -- July 4th, 2007
-----------------------
Looks like STALKER's next patch will be coming very, very, very soon -- in "a matter of days", probably!

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Patch Nears [July 04, 2007, 3:18 pm ET] - Viewing Comments
Oblivion-Lost.de reports that the version 1.0004 patch for S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl is imminent, quoting GSC Game World's Anton Bolshakov as saying that the patch has been undergoing approval for some time now at THQ, and that since they have not received any programming bug reports, they expect the patch to be available within "a matter of days." Thanks Bill.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, July 04, 2007, 03:29:22 PM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #130 on: Wednesday, August 22, 2007, 07:30:14 PM »
STALKER's now patched-up to Version 1.0004

= 1.0004 =-

Saved games.
Saved games from 1.0003 version will work with 1.0004 version.

Connectivity.
Connecting to the server will be possible only if the host's version of the game is the same as yours.

Patch 1.0004 changes and fixes:

Optimization:

1. Calculating detailed objects was moved to the second CPU stream.
2. Engine optimization, which resulted in FPS 10-15% gain.
3. Shaders optimization.

MP features:

1. Implemented the standalone dedicated server.
2. Retail version now works correctly with the standalone dedicated server.
3. Added remote control for the dedicated server.
4. Max ping disconnect option implemented.
5. Self-correcting network packets wrapper was implemented. This resulted in better ping values and traffic reduction by 50-100%.
6. Artifacts counter is not shown in the statistics.
7. Checking available maps without disconnecting the current game is now possible.
8. The list of the players is not dropped to the beginning upon the attempt to scroll it. Now it became easier to put the players on ban voting.
9. Fixed some bugs with defining the cause of death.
10. The exploded grenade does not continue lying on the ground after the detonation.
11. Fixed the artifact activation and the spawned anomalous zone functioning algorithm.

MP crash fix:

Fixed all known crashes.

SP fixes:

1. Fixed the bug with shooting from the grenade launcher. The grenade is fired with the first shot now.
2. Fixed the disappearing weapons when crouching for a long time.
3. Fixed the game crash on Pripyat location, when the player approached any of the monolithians' camps.
4. Fixed Voronin's tasks to eliminate the bandit Poker.
5. Fixed the random quests at the Wild Territory.
6. Fixed the random task to destroy the bandits' camp at the Cordon.
7. Fixed the random Barkeep's task to clear the snorks lair at the Dark Valley.
8. Fixed the bug with the automatic task to defend the camp when switching location or saving/loading the game.
9. Fixed the random quest to destroy the mutants lair when pseudo dogs are nearby.
10. Fixed the task to destroy the mutants lair.
11. Fixed the random tasks with the raids of characters' camps.
12. Fixed the choice of goods at Barkeep and Petrenko after completing the random tasks.
13. The wounded do not run away from the grenade now.
14. The zombies at Yantar do not run from the grenade now.
15. Fixed the crash caused by the patrol route at Yantar.
16. Fixed the crash caused by the patrol route at Agroprom Research Institute.
17. Fixed the task with getting rid of the Duty group in the village at the Military Warehouses level.
18. Fixed the bug with repeating the scene of the Duty group ambush at the beginning of the Military Warehouses level.
19. Fixed the bug with camera fly-through on the stadium at Pripyat.
20. Fixed the bug with Bes character, when the latter couldn't be healed.

EDIT:
Just tried this new patch, in an area w/ lots of STALKER's -- Freedom's very own hideout, basically. Yeah, STALKER runs a lil' bit better -- but still, not enough for it to make it worthwhile to put on Dynamic Lighting, even when in 800x600. Never goes above 25 frames here.

I'm still WAY better off w/ Static Lighting in 1024x768, for sure, framerate-wise -- which already ran well, but runs EVEN better now.

« Last Edit: Wednesday, August 22, 2007, 08:18:44 PM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #131 on: Monday, November 12, 2007, 08:12:20 PM »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #132 on: Monday, November 26, 2007, 03:41:27 PM »
So, looks like STALKER might be headed to the consoles.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. For Consoles?
Nov 26, 2007 at 6:31 AM - Andrew Burnes - 13 Comments
The well known role-playing game, S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl, could be receiving a console release because GSC Game World today became a certified Xbox 360 developer:

GSC Game World is glad to announce it is now officially certified by Microsoft as an Xbox 360 developer. As part of the program, GSC Game World obtained all the necessary development tools, so as support from Microsoft to get down to development of projects on Xbox 360.

Sergiy Grygorovych, the CEO of GSC Game World, said:

"We are happy to say the big efforts of our company aimed to obtain the official Xbox 360 developer status now ended with success. Obtaining such a status for an independent developer based in ex-USSR means a lot - it took us over 2 years to get. We are very thankful to Microsoft for the assistance and high esteem of our team's professionalism.

From now on, our old ambition to create multiplatform projects has become a reality. Such a policy is also fully compliant with the current game industry tendencies.

Creating games for PC, we achieved practically everything, and now are prepared to garner the top spots in sales charts and gamers' recognition in the world of console games too. This said, we will continue paying maximum attention to the PC platform."

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #133 on: Monday, November 26, 2007, 07:56:50 PM »
I really need to pick up a copy of this from the not magical underworld store.  It really was a great game, and I imagine the patches have helped it in numerous areas now.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #134 on: Friday, November 30, 2007, 01:43:12 AM »
I really need to pick up a copy of this from the not magical underworld store.  It really was a great game, and I imagine the patches have helped it in numerous areas now.

Yea Im reinstalling as I speak. The game is fun, but there was just too many bugs and the game ran like crap for me, Im gonna try it again.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #135 on: Friday, November 30, 2007, 01:46:27 AM »
I didn't experience too many bugs, and the few I did were pretty minor.  Performance was acceptable, too.  I really had a good time with it.  I wasn't sure it was going to be what I had hoped, and while it did turn out to be different, in the end I had more fun that I expected.  I held out for the collector's edition (Euro) but never managed to get ahold of it, which is why I still don't have a box copy.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #136 on: Friday, November 30, 2007, 01:48:53 AM »
I had problems with NPCs not responding when they should during missions and some cases where NPCs would skip or bypass large conversation chunks that deal with the main storyline, those really got under my skin.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #137 on: Friday, November 30, 2007, 01:50:39 AM »
How many patches have come out since then?  It really seemed like they were trying their best to support the game in any way they could.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #138 on: Friday, November 30, 2007, 01:52:18 AM »
Like one... but this was all around when it was released, and I bought it the day it came out, so its a been through quite a few patches since then.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #139 on: Friday, November 30, 2007, 07:00:41 AM »
Like one... but this was all around when it was released, and I bought it the day it came out, so its a been through quite a few patches since then.

I did wait a bit before I bought STALKER, but when I did play it -- yeah, not too many problems bug-wise w/ it that I ran into.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #140 on: Tuesday, September 16, 2008, 03:48:22 PM »
STALKER: Shadow of Chernoblyl has sold 2 million copies worldwide, to date.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: 2.000.000 copies sold
3 September 2008

GSC Game World announces its S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl has sold 1 million copies worldwide and 1 million licensed copies in ex-USSR countries.

"We are very pleased that S.T.A.L.K.E.R. became so popular among players from all over the world, - said GSC Game World CEO Sergiy Grygorovych. – S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is more than just a game now. Financial success will allow us to develop S.T.A.L.K.E.R. in different directions as a brand."

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #141 on: Tuesday, September 16, 2008, 04:31:18 PM »
STALKER Clear Sky Tweak Guide

I figured this is handy.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #142 on: Sunday, September 13, 2009, 07:52:24 AM »
Eurogamer has a nice retrospective on STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl -- highlighting everything: its strengths; weaknesses; the mod community; what mods they like; etc.

There's a Texture Mod you can get here that Eurogamer likes -- called STALKER Complete 2009.

Most impressive of all is that it's now also possible to play Shadow of Chernobyl with an entirely overhauled texture set, which can be found online. As mods go this is one of the most subtle imaginable. It does not attempt to change the atmosphere or effect of the game world, but simple to enhance it. 900 new textures, an improved sky and weather system, and the introduction of expanded graphics options make this one of the most exquisitely beautiful experiences ever to grace a gaming system. It also includes the sleep and hunger systems, along with a mass of small tweaks. I would argue that this is, finally, the finished and complete version of Stalker - as good as it could possibly have been on release.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #143 on: Friday, November 06, 2009, 02:55:11 PM »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #144 on: Wednesday, August 01, 2018, 04:40:52 PM »
Eurogamer - This is the story of when THQ sent Dean Sharpe out to Kiev to get STALKER: SOC done.

It's all about getting the overly ambitious STALKER: SOC out of development hell & into an actual working state...
And how he also ended up where he's at now (CEO of 4A Games for Metro series).