Author Topic: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is coming  (Read 24705 times)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is coming
« Reply #40 on: Thursday, March 22, 2007, 06:08:49 PM »
That's really odd.  Games don't tend to run super well for me in general, but this one has been rock solid from the get-go.  I can't run other games at these settings and get performance this good, generally.  Go figure.

Looking forward to playing more tonight.  As I thought about it today, I realized there are very few games with a similar atmosphere.  It's really pretty darn unique.  Definitely not the most polished product, but I sort of find the rawness of it attractive.  It doesn't go for over-the-top stuff at all, nor does it try to glitz and glam anything up.  While in some cases it feels a little barren because of that, mostly it just goes to making it feel a bit more real.  By the same token this can also make you lose a little immersion just from inconsistency, but on the whole I think they worked really well with what they had.  I honestly have no complaints of import at this point.  I'm just plain having fun.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #41 on: Thursday, March 22, 2007, 06:30:29 PM »
Hmmmm....for the guys who are playing this....

...Do you think after a few patches, many of the performance-wise technical issues will be close to non-existent???

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #42 on: Thursday, March 22, 2007, 06:41:25 PM »
What, are we psychic?  That's an unanswerable question.  My guess is no, but we aren't going to know until there are patches.  The game's been out in the US for like... a day.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #43 on: Thursday, March 22, 2007, 06:42:46 PM »
What, are we psychic?  That's an unanswerable question.  My guess is no, but we aren't going to know until there are patches.  The game's been out in the US for like... a day.

Well, it sure doesn't seem as broken as say Gothic 3.....

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #44 on: Thursday, March 22, 2007, 08:12:46 PM »
okay this is weird.

so i installed the game and started playing. you start off underground talking to some dude and everything seemed okay. The framerate was decent until the second I hit the outdoors. Then it dropped like a rock and now its unplayable. Basically, I am not able to do anything outdoors because of the framerate lagging so hard. I have no idea whats wrong.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #45 on: Thursday, March 22, 2007, 08:15:05 PM »
Anyone know why the images are showing up as 1024 x 640 when I editing it to 1680x1050??
Yeah, because max image size on the board is set to 1024 x 768.

As far as the rawness, is it as raw as say Operation Flashpoint?  That game's engine felt as though it was hanging by a thread.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #46 on: Thursday, March 22, 2007, 08:32:17 PM »
No, but it's similar.  Just not nearly so bad.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #47 on: Thursday, March 22, 2007, 09:04:16 PM »
okay this is weird.

so i installed the game and started playing. you start off underground talking to some dude and everything seemed okay. The framerate was decent until the second I hit the outdoors. Then it dropped like a rock and now its unplayable. Basically, I am not able to do anything outdoors because of the framerate lagging so hard. I have no idea whats wrong.

Thats similar to what happened to me. Except it let up a couple seconds later. But it keeps taking really bad framerate hits in certain. Its annoying as hell. Also when it rains I get this weird affect, and a strange blur when theres a lightening strike. But I rolled back my drivers and its performing a little better.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #48 on: Thursday, March 22, 2007, 10:23:08 PM »
Sucks... I don't get any of that.  There's a rain error that happens sometimes, just a glitch in the rendering of it I guess, and I've gotten that one once.  Fixes if you save your game, quit the program, and load it up again.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #49 on: Thursday, March 22, 2007, 11:24:12 PM »
Yeah, because max image size on the board is set to 1024 x 768.

As far as the rawness, is it as raw as say Operation Flashpoint?  That game's engine felt as though it was hanging by a thread.

hahaha... that's the first game that popped into my head when I first saw the environment. Operation Flashpoint.

Like Que said, it is similar, but not as bad.

hahahahah

And in my opinion the issues are minor enough to be patchable. But I need to play more to comment on this question fairly.

Also where are you guys getting lag?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #50 on: Thursday, March 22, 2007, 11:46:30 PM »
I should note that I was referring simply to technical problems with the patch question, not minor gameplay stuff.  The game stuff I think would be easy to fix, and I hope they do.  Technical problems and poor performance that some people seem to be getting... who knows.  Maybe yes, maybe no.

But yeah, the more I think about this, the more I think this reminds me of OpFlash in a good way.  I mean, that game kind of sucked, but this is like a simpler deal with a much more solid environment.  It's just that it's got the slightly wonky thing going, the big open wilderness environment, lots of team vs. team stuff scattered around, and the fairly realistic feel.  It isn't quite one-shot-one-kill, but it's close.  You don't have to pump round after round into the enemy soldiers so far, headshots are instant death, and individual targets last so long pretty much entirely because of the inaccuracy of the weapons.

EDIT - On the graphics, I'd also like to note that the architecture and interior stuff looks pretty damned good.  The wilderness is a little funky on some levels, though I like it well enough overall, but the interior stuff looks way, way better.  It looks current gen.  Really, the wilderness does too, it's just like kind of lower budget current gen.  Stretched a little thin in spots.  Still, the game has on several occasions impressed me with some pretty cool looking stuff when I wasn't expecting it, and it seems to actually be improving as things go along.

Anyway, stuff is picking up speed now.  There've been some bigger, more intense firefights, I got to explore a bunch of derelict buildings (still part of the wilderness plane), and even go underground.  Finally found some crazy monstery stuff... and it was good fun.  The atmosphere really shines through when it needs to.  Got some bigger guns, and finally started getting more consistent ammo for certain things, so I can take care of myself at least marginally better now.

Definitely a little tough to get all your missions done, sometimes.  I have a few that are going to expire before I can get back to base, given that it takes a pretty fucking long time to walk from map to map.  Oh, which brings up another point -- the entire landscape doesn't stream.  It's divided into huge levels, so you'll get loading times when you go between these sections.  But they're logical sections, and again, they're huge.  There's lots to poke around in in any given level, and you can go back and forth at will, so it really isn't a problem.  Load times between them aren't bad at all.  So not perfectly seamless, but everything is big enough that you rarely feel totally taken out of the moment.

Also, I'm noticing this game kind of feels like "build your own shooter".  There's so much stuff you just don't have to do or see if you don't feel like it, and sometimes you may actively choose to pull out of a location just because you plain don't need to get involved.  You're well stocked, don't need anything, maybe can't carry too much more... time to move on so you can trade and lighten your load, try to finish another job, whatever... yet there's still stuff to explore at the place you just left.  That's pretty cool.  Shooters just don't do that, so it feels weird to say, "You know, I'm gonna' walk away from this for now... I'll come back to it in a bit."

Lastly, idol was right.  There's a ton of stuff that just doesn't seem to have any true purpose other than to drag you into the world and make it feel real.  Big set pieces based on the actual place that just make it feel neat.  Sometimes these can be used for fights, sometimes there's stuff to find... but sometimes there's nothing.  Just a big empty place to poke around in for fun.
« Last Edit: Friday, March 23, 2007, 01:32:20 AM by Quemaqua »

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #51 on: Friday, March 23, 2007, 08:34:48 AM »
Oh, which brings up another point -- the entire landscape doesn't stream.  It's divided into huge levels, so you'll get loading times when you go between these sections.  But they're logical sections, and again, they're huge.  There's lots to poke around in in any given level, and you can go back and forth at will, so it really isn't a problem.  Load times between them aren't bad at all.  So not perfectly seamless, but everything is big enough that you rarely feel totally taken out of the moment.
That's a shame.  I thought one of the main selling points was that Xray would just be a perfectly seamless streaming engine.  I guess not.  Well, it's good to know that at least loading points are infrequent.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #52 on: Friday, March 23, 2007, 06:52:57 PM »
Reading it again, it seems I sort of worded it wrong.  I think the levels actually do stream when you're in them, it's just that the entire game map isn't one huge map (like, say, Oblivion).  You've just got really big main sections of land.  The divisions between them are generally roads or choke points.  I think there's only like 7 or 8 maps or something.  Within them I've gotten one or two really tiny hitches indicating to me that it's loading stuff as it goes, it's just that the entire map isn't one whole map.  It's like comparing a photo, a 10-piece jigsaw puzzle, and a 1K-piece jigsaw puzzle to one another, if they were all the same overall size.  Oblivion is the photo - a single piece.  STALKER is the 10-piece puzzle - big, but still a few divisions.  HL2 would be the 1K set - plenty to play, but prepare to load every five minutes.

Actually, I'm wondering if the divisions might be more about keeping track of the AI and the virtual stuff more than just because it can't handle such a big map.  That wouldn't seem unlikely to me given how chaotic things can get.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #53 on: Friday, March 23, 2007, 06:58:03 PM »
Reading it again, it seems I sort of worded it wrong.  I think the levels actually do stream when you're in them, it's just that the entire game map isn't one huge map (like, say, Oblivion).  You've just got really big main sections of land.  The divisions between them are generally roads or choke points.  I think there's only like 7 or 8 maps or something.  Within them I've gotten one or two really tiny hitches indicating to me that it's loading stuff as it goes, it's just that the entire map isn't one whole map.  It's like comparing a photo, a 10-piece jigsaw puzzle, and a 1K-piece jigsaw puzzle to one another, if they were all the same overall size.  Oblivion is the photo - a single piece.  STALKER is the 10-piece puzzle - big, but still a few divisions.  HL2 would be the 1K set - plenty to play, but prepare to load every five minutes.

Actually, I'm wondering if the divisions might be more about keeping track of the AI and the virtual stuff more than just because it can't handle such a big map.  That wouldn't seem unlikely to me given how chaotic things can get.

Load screens don't bug me, unless they take forever to load.

I don't mind having a game like Jade Empire PC, where it has numerous "zones" and when you do switch "zones", the load is close to pretty much instant, anyways.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #54 on: Saturday, March 24, 2007, 12:09:57 AM »
I'm gonna be getting this game.  I hope I don't have too many technical issues with it.  I do have a pretty good system.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #55 on: Saturday, March 24, 2007, 01:38:44 PM »
NINE (out of 10) from Boomtown

Question, guys -- how is the MP in this game???

EDIT:
I ain't even seen a Collector's Ed for the PC version listed period in the USA.
Looks like there's one overseas, for the UK version: Gogamer has it; for *gulp* $69.99.
Game comes in a Tin Case.
Comes w/ a Zone Map, Bonus DVD on Making of the Game, Survival Guide, and Extra MP Maps + Skins.

Why aren't they selling a Collector's Ed in the USA? Even though it's pricey, that package sounds like a decent Collector's Ed, to me....

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #56 on: Saturday, March 24, 2007, 03:34:39 PM »
Yeah, that's kind of pissy.  I would assume the UK stuff is in English, so why the hell not give it to us also?  That's lame.  I'd probably buy it at this point.  Hell, maybe I will.  It's not like PC stuff cares about region.

Anyway... I also wanted to mention since the other day that while the game engine suffers in certain areas, the lighting is awesome.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #57 on: Saturday, March 24, 2007, 10:38:45 PM »
Okay, so I've been interested in Chernobyl for a while, but with the release of the game I decided to check and see if anybody had uploaded some videos about the actual place and event.  Turns out, they had!  It's 3 hours of stuff, and it's totally awesome.  You should really check it out.  Believe it or not, it makes the game even more exciting, because you really want to see if you can get to the crazy places you've gotten glimpses of in the vids.

Disaster at Chernobyl - The first two I'm listing are Discovery Channel specials, and this one you should watch first.  It's a movie (45 minutes) about the hour leading up to the event.  Very cool and pretty damned well done.  Unfortunately, this is the only one I could find and it's got Swedish subtitles, not English ones, so you won't get to understand the Russian, but you can assume most of that stuff from context and 90% of the video's important information is narrated in English.  It's completely worth watching and plenty informative.

The Battle of Chernobyl - Watch this second.  It's the longest at about an hour and a half, and it's about all the people who worked and died trying to fix things after the event.  Extremely compelling, sometimes more than a little chilling.

BBC Horizon - Inside Chernobyl's Sarcophagus - Watch this last.  It's another 45 minute one, and it takes you inside the Sarcophagus I think 10 or 15 years after the event.  It's crazy.  They follow some scientists around, and these guys are brave and insane, trying to figure out how to prevent further disaster by risking their lives continually within the reactor's tomb.  Good stuff.

I stuck it all on a DVD for Julia and I to watch -- thank you, DVD Flick, for being free.  Once I get my official copy of the game (come on, tax return...) I'll have this alongside it.  It makes a great compliment to it.

So get downloading!

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #58 on: Saturday, March 24, 2007, 11:55:27 PM »
Okay so I've put some time into the game and I've just finished the first mission.  I gotta say that for first impressions, it's pretty bad.  I mean, this game is in no way impressive or anything like that.  However, from almost everything I've read, it will get a lot better if I put some more time into it.

I hope so, because I've been looking for something new to play on my PC.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #59 on: Sunday, March 25, 2007, 08:11:33 AM »
Yea I am thinking of returning it to the store I ordered through. They will deduct some percentage but I might do it.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #60 on: Sunday, March 25, 2007, 02:51:06 PM »
woot! got it working..turns out i had to turn off dynamic lighting
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #61 on: Sunday, March 25, 2007, 02:56:39 PM »
That seems to be a fairly common issue for folks.  Glad you got it running.  Don't listen to the naysayers, it's good quality fun.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday, March 27, 2007, 01:40:59 PM »
Patch 1.0001 released for  Retail US and International versions of the game.

Oh yuh, The Digital Direct Download Service got their version of the patch, for this game too. :P

QUICK THREE LINE EDIT IN HERE:
Thanks to Idol for bringing this up; keep this in mind, guys....
Saved games from previous versions of the game (before Patch 1.0001) will NOT work w/ the new version (Version 1.0001).

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Patch Release Notes

-*Important Installation information*-

There are different versions of the patch for the different SKU's released worldwide and for the Digital Distribution version.
After installing the patch, you will still be able to play multiplayer games across the different SKUs, but it is very important that you install the correct patch for your SKU.

If you live in the USA please download and install

stk-US-10001.exe

If you live in the rest of the world please download and install

stk-WW-10001.exe

If you purchased your copy through the Direct Download service, please download and install

stk-DD-10001.exe

Saved Games

Please note that Saved games from previous versions will NOT work with the patch.
After installing this patch, please go to "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\STALKER-SHOC\savedgames" and make sure any saves that were created prior to installing the patch are deleted.
You will need to make sure that hidden folders are visible on the view tab of the folder options menu.

Connectivity

After installing the patch, please note the version number that has been added to the bottom left corner of the Main Menu screen.
You will only be able to connect to servers hosted on that same version.

The patch fixes the following bugs:

1. Buttons remain "pressed" and value changes on its own in Options
2. Players can kill teammates with the knife when friendly fire is set to 0
3. Game crashed when client player types a server command in console
4. Game crashes when entering a MP game after dying in SP
5. Multiplayer map names will appear in debug text format when voting to change a multiplayer map during gameplay.
6. The game crashes while attempting to purchase an item, after pressing Buy button multiple times from the Buy Menu.
7. The game crashes when the user triggers an anomaly after the anomaly time is set to 0.
8. Purchased affordable weapons fail to be in the inventory when one item purchased exceeds the user's monetary amount.
9. The player will lose the weapon he has stored in his inventory as well as the equipped weapon when the equipped weapon is dropped in MP.
10. The host is able to pause the game during an MP game.
11. Players are able to duplicate other player names by using the "name" command in the console.
12. The user is unable to view a fly-by cutscene if their PDA is open while triggering the cutscene.
13. The user can speed up time with the * key on the numpad in SP
14. Players can damage and kill other teammates while friendly fire is set to 0.0
15. The starting weather in-game does not accurately reflect the starting weather set by the server host in multiplayer match
16. The corpse created by a user switching teams remains in the game when playing multiplayer team deathmatch or artifact hunt.
17. Options "show weapon" and "NPC identification" fail to function
18. The up and down function for the look feature are inverted through out the game.
19. The server will crash when the players vote to change maps, but don't select a map to change to.
20. Players will take no fall damage when friendly fire is set to 0 on the server
21. The player dies when trying to exit out of the skin menu back into gameplay
22. Death by an anomaly is not recorded as a negative frag when playing Team Deathmatch.
23. Game Crash when opening buy menu from certain spot in Artifact Hunt mode
24. The prompt for the buy menu and entry via pressing the spacebar appears when in spectator mode during any network game.
25. Professor Kruglov sometimes can't open the door to the mobile science lab
26. When player stands close to a wall and shoots grenade launcher, the grenade falls out of the map without damaging anyone.
27. Possibility of killing enemies through the roofs and walls
28. When killing Wolf before completing any of additional quests given from him, these quests doesn't change status from "Active Tasks" to "Failed Tasks" in PDA.
29. Problem with quest: "Kill gang leader" when piece of text in PDA is directing user to kill leader in Dark Valley. Quest is completed after kill this bandit on Garbage level.
30. Disappearing piece of scroll belt in Main Menu when the player changes resolution to 800x600
31. Anomalies were not appearing when turned on in server options menu.
32. Game crashed when creating a Team Deathmatch server with spectator on.
33. Problems with ‘Slug’ artifact.
34. Possibility to take the decoder through the Wall
35. Issue with cash in inventory on MP build
36. NPC called Seriy has 3 different names: Seriy, Gray and Grey.
37. Problem with price of weapon in inventory
38. Game crashed when vote for kicking a player ended
39. Rare game crash during multiplayer match, after players choose a team.
40. Exploit with update rate command
41. Wood in barrels is flickering, although there's no fire there.
42. Player can jump between 2 stalkers and table inside the bar and become stuck.
43. Two side quests from Sakharov have wrong description.
44. After playing in multiplayer mode and then starting single player game, Sidorovich has one of multiplayer nicks instead of his name.
45. Game crashed when player fight with pseudodogs on red forest.
46. The game crashes to a non-responsive state (task manager) when attempting to host multiplayer game a second time with an invalid CD-key.
47. On Win 2000 PCs, the Windows Desktop cursor has no functionality when minimizing the game (Alt+Tab).
48. The game will result in a soft crash when a player dies from radioactive poisoning, then immediately falls into the tunnel well that leads out of the Agroprom Underground level.
49. The arrow buttons remain depressed when clicked and dragged off the boxes, thus making the value increase or decrease indefinitely in the options menu of network games.
50. Game crashed during map rotation. This issue occurs several times while playing with maps (Vehicle station, Desolated Village and Deserted Factory)
51. Game crashes when entering an MP game after dying in SP
52. The Host will crash and all Clients will either return to the main menu, crash to the desktop, or the program will shut itself down and return the user to the desktop, when attempting to drop a player while users are In-Game
53. Users are able to pick up an opponent's grenade after it has been thrown and then use it themselves.
54. The players name switches to a random player's name with a _1 after it in multiplayer if no name is entered in the network games menu.
55. Players fail to be kicked, after unanimously voting to remove them, during network gameplay.
56. Player is unable to ban other player, everybody vote for, line "voting succeed" appears and nothing happens. Player that was supposed to be banned still can play and do whatever he wants on the server.
57. The starting weather in-game does not accurately reflect the starting weather set by the server host in multiplayer match
58. Saved game are over written when attempting a second save uses the first saved game's name followed by a "space" and any other word or number during single player campaign.
59. The artifact is unaffected by gravity when dropped during an artifact hunt game.
60. Players take no explosion damage when the friendly fire damage option is set to 0 in the server options of a team deathmatch game.
61. The game will crash, halting progression when transferring from Station to the Sarcophagus.
62. When player wants to reload a weapon, and start fast shooting, he can't do that because weapon continues reloading.
63. The game crashes when a player is killed immediately after they are re-spawned into the game.
64. The weapons fail to scroll when using the mouse wheel after all the grenades have been used during single player gameplay.
65. Minor text bugs.
66. Various balance issues in Singleplayer and Multiplayer.
67. Various known exploits/cheats.
68. Various other issues.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #63 on: Tuesday, March 27, 2007, 01:49:45 PM »
Just thought I'd make clear that the patch will kill all your saved games.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #64 on: Tuesday, March 27, 2007, 01:56:14 PM »
Just thought I'd make clear that the patch will kill all your saved games.

Thanks, Idol.

I didn't catch that.
So, I edited that info into my post in this thread.

And bolded it in the "quoted" ReadMe file I posted above.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #65 on: Tuesday, March 27, 2007, 02:01:35 PM »
*sigh* Thats really fucking lame.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #66 on: Tuesday, March 27, 2007, 02:14:06 PM »
That's really weak. Thankfully I am not too far into the game. I returned the game, but I am going to order the collector's ed... maybe.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #67 on: Tuesday, March 27, 2007, 02:30:26 PM »
I think I'm gonna start over anyway. I mean this game really needs a patch.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #68 on: Tuesday, March 27, 2007, 02:44:29 PM »
I think I'm gonna start over anyway. I mean this game really needs a patch.

Were you far into the game...?

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #69 on: Tuesday, March 27, 2007, 02:50:38 PM »
Not really. I had just made it into the second zone area. I had run into some bugs here and there so I havent put all that much time into the game. Its rather sad the game was released the state its in when so much time was put into it.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #70 on: Tuesday, March 27, 2007, 05:51:50 PM »
Odd.  I really haven't run into anything at all yet for the most part, and I'm much further than all of you.  I'd get it, but uh, I still have my Magical Underworld Store copy, so that isn't really an option for me just yet.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #71 on: Wednesday, March 28, 2007, 08:20:23 AM »
I got it from the same store, but I haven't even tried it yet.  That list of bugs is intimidating.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #72 on: Wednesday, March 28, 2007, 09:00:53 AM »
Ok, I played it for a little while now.  Just doing little things here and there.  I like the game.  I like how there is a sense of exploration and moving at your own pace.  I don't have any slowdown or anything, but then again I did just build a new PC.

I did just now run into a bug though.  I was trying to talk to the trader, but his door won't open.  Like I can't even interact with it.  So I exited the game, thinking maybe when the level reloads it will be active again.

I'm using v1.0001.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #73 on: Wednesday, March 28, 2007, 07:04:19 PM »
This is a game where the more I play it, the more I like it.  And honestly, if you know anything about Chernobyl as a real event/place, the game gets more interesting.  Just little things you wouldn't appreciate otherwise.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #74 on: Wednesday, March 28, 2007, 08:31:06 PM »
Yeah I played for quite a bit today and while its graphics do look a bit dated and there is a horrible glitching when it's raining, it's quite a deep game.

The firefights are frustrating yet satisfying at the same time.  It's just unforgiving.  You make a mistake or do something dumb and you're dead.  It's almost like you have to use real tactics.  Use the element of surprise.  Use cover.  Set up traps.

I also realized just how big the game really is.  I am still in Garbage after several hours of play and I checked out the map and the Chernobyl power plant is really fucking far away.

The game isn't the most tightly-coded piece of work (but it's miles beyond Operation Flashpoint), but you can definitely tell there was a lot of love put into this game.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #75 on: Wednesday, March 28, 2007, 10:52:23 PM »
Ok, yeah.  Unforgiving isn't the right word or phrase.  Fucking hard is the correct one.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #76 on: Wednesday, March 28, 2007, 11:04:21 PM »
I did the same part not too long ago.  Just keep at it, you'll get it.  That part was particularly punishing just because the guys have a lot of armor.

Glad you're enjoying it, though.  I was afraid you wouldn't like it, and it seemed like you deserved to.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #77 on: Thursday, March 29, 2007, 07:05:23 AM »
Alright, I kind of figured it out.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: Thursday, March 29, 2007, 07:35:30 AM by scottws »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #78 on: Thursday, March 29, 2007, 01:43:38 PM »
Yeah I played for quite a bit today and while its graphics do look a bit dated and there is a horrible glitching when it's raining, it's quite a deep game.
Sweet @ the bolded.

The firefights are frustrating yet satisfying at the same time.  It's just unforgiving.  You make a mistake or do something dumb and you're dead.  It's almost like you have to use real tactics.  Use the element of surprise.  Use cover.  Set up traps.
If this does apply....

...Are there different difficulty settings you can switch from at the game's start????
If so, can you switch the difficulty while in-game???

I also realized just how big the game really is.  I am still in Garbage after several hours of play and I checked out the map and the Chernobyl power plant is really fucking far away.
Sweet.

The game isn't the most tightly-coded piece of work (but it's miles beyond Operation Flashpoint), but you can definitely tell there was a lot of love put into this game.
I want to play this thing, hehe.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #79 on: Thursday, March 29, 2007, 08:15:00 PM »
Ok yeah it's official.  I really, really like this game.

And yes, D, you can select the difficulty at the beginning.  I chose stalker, which is 2/4.  The higher levels must be really hard.