Author Topic: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is coming  (Read 24652 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is coming
« Reply #80 on: Thursday, March 29, 2007, 08:46:19 PM »
Ok yeah it's official.  I really, really like this game.

And yes, D, you can select the difficulty at the beginning.  I chose stalker, which is 2/4.  The higher levels must be really hard.

W/ the major trouble you having on 2/4 difficulty, I wonder how tough the first diffuculty is, then....
....Nevermind the other 3!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #81 on: Thursday, March 29, 2007, 09:25:11 PM »
I think the shotgun is actually pretty useful, but only against the right targets.  It isn't a catch-all kind of firearm like it is in many games.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #82 on: Friday, April 06, 2007, 05:39:14 PM »
Is S.T.A.L.K.E.R. using assets from both HL2 and Doom 3 w/out the consent of Id and Valve?

Half-Life 2, Doom 3 Assets in S.T.A.L.K.E.R.? [05:54 pm]
86 Comments - Chris Remo

This week, threads have started showing up on various forums containing what appears to be evidence that GSC Game World's recently released shooter S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl makes use of a number of graphical assets taken directly from commercially released games such as Valve's Half-Life 2 and id Software's Doom 3. Many forum posters are speculating that the assets were used without authorization.

One of the first threads to be made regarding the matter was posted to the MapCore forums; the thread creator, user michi.be, posted screen captures allegedly comparing the light image folders from S.T.A.L.K.E.R. to those of Doom 3 (all screen captures locally mirrored). Tellingly, though some of the images had been modified in various ways, such as having hue or saturation adjustments, the original filenames from the Doom 3 folders remained the same--for example, a file with the Doom-esque name "lights_impflash.dds," referring to one of the game's enemies, was visually modified in the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. folder but retained the filename.

Later in the same thread, user Johnny posted an image allegedly comparing a water texture from S.T.A.L.K.E.R. to a water texture from Half-Life 2. As in the Doom 3 case, the images were nearly identical and the filename was unchanged with the exception of its extension.

Responding to inquiries made by Shacknews, id Software CEO Todd Hollshead stated:

I've seen a post on a web forum that claims DOOM3 assets are used in another game, but we've been working hard on Enemy Territory: Quake Wars as well as our own internal project and have not had the time to fully investigate or otherwise verify that the claim is true. Only from what I've seen on the Web, it's concerning. However, it may turn out to be nothing. Nevertheless, it would be improper to make any decision about a course of action until we find out whether the claim is true, and what assets from DOOM3, if any, have potentially been used.

Hollenshead's reply suggests that if S.T.A.L.K.E.R. developer GSC Game World did in fact make use of id Software assets, it was not done with id's consent. Shacknews has also contacted Valve and GSC on the matter, but neither party had responded at the time this story was published.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #83 on: Friday, April 06, 2007, 06:33:04 PM »
That's pretty interesting.  I wonder if there's truth to it... it does sort of seem that way.  If you're going to steal, at least be smart about it.  Jeez.

I hope it isn't true, though.  If any of the other parties decided to take legal action, you can guarantee that GSC is completely fucked from here on out forever, probably including support for the game.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #84 on: Friday, April 06, 2007, 07:01:48 PM »
Damn that sucks.  You know if there is a file called "lights_impflash.dds" and it's the same texture that they for sure stole assets.

That does suck because it seemed like GSC Gameworld deserved to have the game succeed and make future awesome games.  Doesn't look like that will happen now.

I wonder if it was due to poor project management (a lazy texture artist using other games' assets without the project managers being aware) or if it was a conscious decision by the company.

How it the world did they think they would get away with something like this?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #85 on: Friday, April 06, 2007, 08:45:17 PM »
I hope it isn't true, though.  If any of the other parties decided to take legal action, you can guarantee that GSC is completely fucked from here on out forever, probably including support for the game.
Yeah, and I bet that publishers would think twice before publishing a GSC game, if they're still around as a company and all. And all of the members of GSC might have a hard time landing a job in another game company. Probably would make it harder for them to land a publisher, if they still make Indie games and want their game published, too.

About support being hurt on STALKER, I sure hope not. With PC games with the way publishers and devs agree to kick them out even if the game is or isn't ready, we really do need support for them -- especially ones that have lots of bugs and issues in them. STALKER has some issues, so it needs patches.

I hope this big news on Shacknews is just not true......

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #86 on: Friday, April 06, 2007, 09:12:17 PM »
Damn that sucks.  You know if there is a file called "lights_impflash.dds" and it's the same texture that they for sure stole assets.

That does suck because it seemed like GSC Gameworld deserved to have the game succeed and make future awesome games.  Doesn't look like that will happen now.
I wonder if it was due to poor project management (a lazy texture artist using other games' assets without the project managers being aware) or if it was a conscious decision by the company.
Maybe they were testing Doom assets in their game engine, to see if it would work. And then, were going to make their own assets, but decided not too b/c STALKER been in the making for a long time??? Oh, who knows!!!!

I wonder if any other companies have had, in their games contain assets they didn't pay for, in their own game.
How it the world did they think they would get away with something like this?
That's what I'm trying to figure out...
It don't even look like they re-named the file!!!
"Imp" sounds like a file from Doom.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #87 on: Saturday, April 07, 2007, 12:45:08 AM »
Wow, that's pretty out there. Have we ever seen something like this before? I mean at the scale of a game studio (I know we've seen similar situations among the modding communities).

Anyway, are there any vehicles in STALKER at all?? I just started playing it, and so far the missions demand me to do quite a load of running huge distances. I remember seeing vehicles in the preview videos, and it was supposed to be one of the game's major features; they even showed it off with the physics effects.

As for my impressions so far, I'm not impressed.. Graphically the game looks fine, but the gameplay, interface, and most of the game mechanics are crummy. For a game that's had about 5 years of development the least they could have done was refine those aspects (the important ones). While the graphics aren't ground-breaking, they're decent; the game looks alright among its peers.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #88 on: Saturday, April 07, 2007, 05:43:53 AM »
Say it is true and they did use an asset from Id and/or Valve w/out their permission.
Say Id and/or Valve takes legal action -- maybe they will try and settle out of court or it goes to court....

...Well, then I wonder how long this game will actually be on the shelves....

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #89 on: Saturday, April 07, 2007, 08:00:45 AM »
As for my impressions so far, I'm not impressed.. Graphically the game looks fine, but the gameplay, interface, and most of the game mechanics are crummy. For a game that's had about 5 years of development the least they could have done was refine those aspects (the important ones). While the graphics aren't ground-breaking, they're decent; the game looks alright among its peers.
See I disagree.  The interace could use some work I guess, but other than that I absolutely love the game.

But yeah, I'm not sure about the vehicles.  I mean there are plenty around but it doesn't seem like you can interact with them.  I talked to someone who said they found some sort of working vehicle but some guy stole it and parked it by a gate.  Well I went there and there were a bunch of cars and trucks, but none that I could do anything with.

I think they took the feature out.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #90 on: Saturday, April 07, 2007, 08:07:10 AM »
Xessive I had a similar reaction, though not as xessi...err...excessive but the game got a lot better once past the first twenty minutes. I may order the CE at some point.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #91 on: Saturday, April 07, 2007, 09:13:49 AM »
Yeah, I'm with Scott.  I highly enjoy it.  It's wonky, but it's great.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #92 on: Saturday, April 07, 2007, 10:05:21 AM »
Wow, that's pretty out there. Have we ever seen something like this before? I mean at the scale of a game studio (I know we've seen similar situations among the modding communities).
Only thing I can think that may come somewhat close is when Crytek was making Far Cry, it was rumored by a disgruntled ex-employee stated that Crytek had pirated copies of 3D Max Studio throughout all the computers there -- and then their studio was investigated by their Gov't. Gov't found nothing, though...

See I disagree.  The interace could use some work I guess, but other than that I absolutely love the game.

But yeah, I'm not sure about the vehicles.  I mean there are plenty around but it doesn't seem like you can interact with them.  I talked to someone who said they found some sort of working vehicle but some guy stole it and parked it by a gate.  Well I went there and there were a bunch of cars and trucks, but none that I could do anything with.

I think they took the feature out.

They probably took the vehicles out b/c it was probably as half-baked as Boiling Point's vehicles (supposedly) were.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #93 on: Saturday, April 07, 2007, 10:45:00 AM »
They took the vehicles out. Actually they sacrificed a huge chunk of the cool stuff to finally release the game. I guess they needed a bigger staff.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #94 on: Saturday, April 07, 2007, 12:17:10 PM »
They took the vehicles out. Actually they sacrificed a huge chunk of the cool stuff to finally release the game. I guess they needed a bigger staff.

Hopefully, they'll expand the features on the game w/ STALKER 2 -- especially w/ good foundation put down, so it seems, w/ many people's reactions w/ STALKER 1.

I bet they'll probably be a STALKER 2, as STALKER 1 is selling well, so it seems. It was #1 for sales, week of its release.

Let's just hope GSC wasn't dumb enuff to use Id's or Valve's assets....if so, they'll be in for some major shit....

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #95 on: Saturday, April 07, 2007, 02:24:42 PM »
By the way the whole borrowing stuff from other engines thing isn't actually very rare from what I understand. What is rare is getting caught.

Let's see how this affects any potential S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2.

Though to be honest I think they will just move on to greener pastures. How can they script another S.T.A.L.K.E.R? There was yet another accident?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #96 on: Saturday, April 07, 2007, 05:27:29 PM »
By the way the whole borrowing stuff from other engines thing isn't actually very rare from what I understand. What is rare is getting caught.

Let's see how this affects any potential S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2.

Though to be honest I think they will just move on to greener pastures. How can they script another S.T.A.L.K.E.R? There was yet another accident?
Maybe they could find another location and have some other incident???
Maybe continue where the last game left off???
Who knows.

They created the games, so they could invent something....

Offline Jedi

• Poster Child
« Reply #97 on: Sunday, April 08, 2007, 09:10:28 PM »
Maybe they could find another location and have some other incident???
Maybe continue where the last game left off???
Who knows.

They created the games, so they could invent something....

Or they could use their imagination and do something different. Remember the game that follows this doesn't have to be a direct sequel.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #98 on: Tuesday, April 24, 2007, 11:56:38 AM »
Meh I uninstalled it. I felt guilty that I had returned it yet kept it, but I just can't enjoy the game. I tried my best, and at times did enjoy it, but I find it extremely amateur. The weapons suck, there is hardly any reaction from anyone getting shot, and the AI is piss poor.

Firing a weapon should feel exhilarating, not similar to laser tag. Also the whole balance of weapons is pretty fucked up. I can appreciate making a game difficult and tactical (like Rainbow  6), but you can empty an entire clip at decent range and not feel like you are doing damage. Plus headshots should count for something.

I did like the graphics though, and don't see why they got some flak. I think the game in portions looks better than HL2. I also thought the interface was quite good.

I did had one issue that wasn't quite the game's fault. When you walk the screen shakes realistically, and it would hurt my head.

Anyway I dislike the gameplay so much, that I doubt I will pick this up again.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #99 on: Tuesday, April 24, 2007, 12:06:36 PM »
Bah I read Gspot's review and am regretting the uninstall. Maybe I should have given it another few hours.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #100 on: Tuesday, April 24, 2007, 12:10:08 PM »
I laugh at your misfortune.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #101 on: Tuesday, April 24, 2007, 12:14:58 PM »
lol keeb.

I got the game installed, but I've barely played it.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #102 on: Tuesday, April 24, 2007, 10:08:46 PM »
I don't know what game you're playing.  The AI I've experienced has mostly been very good.  A few wonky instances, but above par for your average FPS for sure.  The weapons definitely don't feel beefy enough, but they're not really any worse than other FPS weapons that don't quite cut it.  And I think a few of them feel beefy enough to be satisfying.

Anyway, I uninstalled it just because I don't have much time right now and still don't have a non-magical underworld store copy, but I definitely want to play it again once I get my bigger HDD back and pick up another copy of the game.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #103 on: Wednesday, April 25, 2007, 01:39:16 PM »
Modder releases a Shader Mod for STALKER

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shader Mod [April 25, 2007, 10:18 am ET] - Viewing Comments
A post on the Ars forums offers the release of the Float32 modification for S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl, which beefs up the already impressive graphics in GSC Game World's first-person shooter (thanks Doormat). Word is: "Full reflection vector calculations, better bump mapping, real specular effects! All this detail improvement costs nothing in framerate and you will get 20% better framerate than before if not more! Shadows are soft and no longer jagged and the overall graphical quality has been vastly improved. I am not posting screenies as it does no justice. Download it and see for yourself!"

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #104 on: Wednesday, April 25, 2007, 01:51:05 PM »
Sweet.

Edit:  Nevermind.  I found some comparison screenshots.  There is almost zero change, but when I did see a change I honestly liked it less.  Maybe it's one of those things that looks better in motion or something.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #105 on: Thursday, May 10, 2007, 02:38:18 PM »
Patched to 1.0003 now.

List of Changes is here....

This is the new patch for the US version of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl and includes a large number of bug and crash fixes, improves Windows Vista compatibility, and implements various game tweaks.

V1.0003 changelist:

AI
- Added avoiding dynamic obstacles for NPCs.
- Added enemy priority function
- fixes incorrect NPC reaction on player’s attack.
- Changed the second part of the enemy search algorithm
- having lost the player, the NPCs will no longer be baffled.
- Added correct reaction on shots and loud sounds coming from the player (only) on close distances.

Render Performance
- Dual core optimization.
- 10-15% FPS increase.

Gameplay
- Added new game mode: freeplay; activated after the end of the game.
- Added the possibility for any character will be able to go to any smart-terrain.
- Fixed the ultra-intense vibration of the grass.
- All monsters drag now the corpses correctly.

Physics
- Fixed the situations when the physics get stuck in the floor or in the thin walls.
- Fixed the situations when the dead bodies disappear.

Network
- Reduced the traffic and lags.

General
- Fixed problems with OS Vista 64.
- Added saved games converter.
- Added MOD Tools support.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #106 on: Sunday, June 10, 2007, 06:08:30 AM »
Circuit City this week:
STALKER is $30 @ CC this week (June 10th week), guys....so y'all know.

EDIT:
Have any of y'all tried "Free Mode" yet in STALKER???
Oh, how's the MP in tis game, guys???

EDIT #2, 1:03pm:
I bought the game. Installin'....
« Last Edit: Sunday, June 10, 2007, 10:03:33 AM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #107 on: Sunday, June 10, 2007, 02:42:27 PM »
Ummm, whoa.....this is different; especially for an FPS. The open-ended nature of the game and game-world. I wish more FPS's would be this ambitious, myself.

So far, I like it. Wow -- I got this game on High settings; runs great and looks pretty damn good. Especially on the artistic front, since it's not the best technically. Though, it's good, technically. Now, this is w/ Patch 1.0003 installed and all. I might crank up some more settings, since it is running 50-60 Frames, no problem on High on 1024x768.

Already, have hit a few unforgettable moments, so far.

Ambushed!
(click to show/hide)

Wounded Fox
(click to show/hide)

The Guy Says He Who Works For The Trader, But Doesn't
(click to show/hide)

So far, so good.

« Last Edit: Sunday, June 10, 2007, 03:20:51 PM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #108 on: Tuesday, June 12, 2007, 04:48:47 PM »
Okay, something worth noting here....

Well, this does feel like an RPG in one regard -- I'm always managing my inventory like the packrat that I am. Always dropping items, tossing away items, selling items, etc etc. :oP

And, oh yeah -- I think I have ridiculous amounts of ammo. I have like over 1,100 bullets for my handgun, while I got around 150 for my shotgun. Hehe.

Still, this game's freakin' awesome. 'Nuff said on that.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #109 on: Wednesday, June 13, 2007, 01:37:52 PM »
GSC speaks on their next patch for STALKER.
This patch will include a new Free Mode for SP.

There will be a SP Mod Kit coming.
MP Mod Kit's already out there, actually.

GSC is currently working on what it calls a "big update" for S.T.A.L.K.E.R., the developer has informed CVG.

In an interview which we'll be publishing shortly, Anton Bolshakov, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. project lead, explained, "We're preparing a big update with a new game mode - Freeplay, with no story tasks, including only the A-life driven ones, where the goal is to gain ranks, climb up in rankings, so as to become the best S.T.A.L.K.E.R. in the Zone."

When we're to expect to update wasn't revealed, but speaking about the future of the game Bolshakov did mention too that, now the multiplayer SDK for the game has been released, the developer's working on getting the single-player SDK out the door. So take note, mod creators.

GSC of course recently let slip that it's to make some S.T.A.L.K.E.R.-related announcements at this year's E3. But it's keeping lips firmly sealed on what's to be unveiled.

Bolshakov would only say that "We will be happy to share all the interesting details during the E3 in July."

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #110 on: Wednesday, June 13, 2007, 05:51:32 PM »
I really wish I had the money for this.  I was greatly enjoying it when I got to play it for a while.  And I love developers who also add new stuff in patches.  These guys seem really awesome the way they're supporting the game.  Reminds me of how awesome Shiny was when they patched Sacrifice, and how awesome Egosoft was updating X2.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #111 on: Wednesday, June 13, 2007, 07:14:16 PM »
I really wish I had the money for this.  I was greatly enjoying it when I got to play it for a while.  And I love developers who also add new stuff in patches.
The game is already awesome, as is, w/ patch 1.0003 installed and all.
I can't wait for the next patch, so I can try Free Mode -- and become the #1 STALKER!

And I like that they are supporting the game w/ SDK's, as well.

I really hope that once the SP SDK comes out, lots of SP mods pop up. I'd love to see what modders could be able to do w/ this game.

Since the MP SDK's out, I wonder how the MP maps are that modders have probably made...

These guys seem really awesome the way they're supporting the game.  Reminds me of how awesome Shiny was when they patched Sacrifice, and how awesome Egosoft was updating X2.
And w/ X3: Reunion, in a patch, Egosoft removed the need of the Starforce protected CD for booting up the game AND added a free expansion w/ it -- The Bala Gi Expansion Pack. Yeah, Egosoft rules when it comes to support. :)

We need more Egosofts and GSC's around, supporting their games after they're already out.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #112 on: Wednesday, June 13, 2007, 07:37:01 PM »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #113 on: Wednesday, June 13, 2007, 08:48:53 PM »
In .OGG no less.  Nice!

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #114 on: Wednesday, June 13, 2007, 08:51:38 PM »
Sweet. Havent played the game yet, but I'm gonna grab the soundtrack.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #115 on: Wednesday, June 13, 2007, 11:02:21 PM »
I keep telling myself to get back into this game. But I don't.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #116 on: Wednesday, June 13, 2007, 11:03:23 PM »
I would if I owned it.  I wanted the CE from GoGamer or whoever was selling it, but man, I'm broke.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #117 on: Thursday, June 14, 2007, 01:40:37 AM »
I don't know why, but I just can't get into this game. I played a few hours of it, and it just didn't draw me in at all. Instead I found it tedious and repetitive, with a lot of monotonous gameplay and frustratingly long distances to run.

I respect the artwork though. The game looks decent, especially with the lighting effects turned on.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #118 on: Thursday, June 14, 2007, 01:20:39 PM »
Hmm...not really that thrilled with the soundtrack. Probably because I havent played the game so none of it means anything to me.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #119 on: Thursday, June 14, 2007, 01:34:27 PM »
I would if I owned it.  I wanted the CE from GoGamer or whoever was selling it, but man, I'm broke.

Yup, It was Gogamer that has it.