Author Topic: Guild Wars 2  (Read 43791 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: Guild Wars II - Updated on 7/25/2010
« Reply #40 on: Thursday, July 29, 2010, 08:25:16 PM »
Level cap revealed!

GW2 characters can level to 80. However, unlike certain other MMOs, they don't plan on each level taking longer to reach than the last.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: Guild Wars II - Updated on 7/25/2010
« Reply #41 on: Friday, July 30, 2010, 09:07:53 AM »
High-level cap and a straight-line for leveling, eh? That's very interesting, actually. Glad it won't take me forever to level from say Level 51 to 52.

Sometimes, in games w/ high-leveling curves, leveling up from one level to another can be ridiculous. I never finished GW, once I hit Level 9 - never felt like I could level-up and that the curve hit me in the face.

That reminds me...I need to work on GW...

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: Guild Wars II - Updated on 7/29/2010 (thanks, Idol!)
« Reply #42 on: Friday, July 30, 2010, 09:54:35 AM »
GW doesn't have a very steep curve at all. There is a slow area when you get around level 10, but once you get though the Shiverpeak area its all good. They fixed that for the expansions. You will hit level 15 before you even finish the starter area in those games.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #43 on: Friday, July 30, 2010, 10:20:41 AM »
Hmmm...maybe I need to give it a re-try. I have all 4 of the GW components. Maybe I was just entering harder areas I didn't belong in? Hmmmm...

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #44 on: Friday, July 30, 2010, 10:31:21 AM »
Could be. I don't know how much exploring you did, but if you do just the story missions then you'll be kind of behind. Theres a lot of side quests and hidden towns and outposts with quests that the story missions will cause you to skip over. So be sure to go out there and find them.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #45 on: Friday, July 30, 2010, 10:32:30 AM »
Could be. I don't know how much exploring you did, but if you do just the story missions then you'll be kind of behind. Theres a lot of side quests and hidden towns and outposts with quests that the story missions will cause you to skip over. So be sure to go out there and find them.
I bet that is exactly what happened - I mainly focused on the story missions.

EDIT:
Time to go play some Guild Wars.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #46 on: Friday, July 30, 2010, 11:19:39 AM »
I gotta get back into it.

D, try to find me! My character's name is Kaze Rai (I think). I have a few characters but I'm gonna focus on my Prophecies one first.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #47 on: Friday, July 30, 2010, 11:43:37 AM »
I am...
Derick Sands on Prophecies (currently playing);
Derick Ryu on Factions;
and Rex Sands on Nightfall.

EDIT:
X, I added you. :)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday, August 10, 2010, 02:55:36 PM »
The Manifesto trailer

Also known as the "HOLY SHIT!" trailer.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday, August 10, 2010, 04:00:31 PM »
@Idol

That trailer's nothing short of epic.
Wow, wow, wow.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Guild Wars II - Updated on 8/10/2010 (thanks, Idol!)
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday, August 10, 2010, 04:13:59 PM »
Holy shit, indeed! I'm actually excited about GW2!

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday, September 28, 2010, 05:22:13 PM »
New dye system!

Tons more colors! And you don't have to store them all!
Colors will be unlocked, not muled.

Storage was always a factor when it came to dye colors in Guild Wars. The new system would cripple most inventories if we required characters to lug all the dyes around. Fear not! The dye hues themselves will be unlockable through various means, both in-game and out. Once you unlock the color, it will be available across your entire account, not just the individual character.
They didn't go into as many details as I would have liked. So...do dye bottle still drop and then you get to decide on a color that you've unlocked? Because they still talk about being "out" of a color.

But it sounds exciting. I just hope dyes aren't as rare as they were in GW1. I have a couple stacks of dyes but I'm afraid of using them because they are so damn rare and you don't know which color will drop when it does. So I hoard them instead. My armor is plain old gray, and I sit on a pile of dye.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday, September 28, 2010, 05:36:30 PM »
I'm glad they decided to actually try and resolve the dye/inventory issue and I respect their conviction to reinvent (or at least attempt to) the MMO formula.

There's a lot to look forward to in GW2. I might pick it up on release day just to compensate for not picking up GW1 sooner!

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #53 on: Thursday, September 30, 2010, 07:32:37 PM »
Phat lewt!

Some really cool ideas here! Dungeons having their own unique armor drops, so when people see you wearing it they know that you've been through that dungeon.

No loot ninjas, no resource (eg, mining node) ninjas. You get your own stuff so you don't have to fight other player for them.

A "transmutation system". You buy transmutation stones from the in-game store. You pick two armors: One that you like the look, and the other that you like the stats. Presto! Now the armor that you like the look of has the stats you want to use!

Armor sets appear to be handled differently. Instead of trying to track down these armor pieces, you instead find these kind of "set gems". Attach them to any piece of armor and that armor becomes part of the set, so if you attach one to all six pieces of armor you have on then you get all the bonuses like wearing a special armor set. Pretty nice, since I have never ever found a full set of armor in Diablo, Torchlight, Titan Quest, WoW, etc before completely outleveling them or finding better stuff.

EDIT

Hmmm, the transmutation stone thing sounds good but it appears LOTRO has a similar system in place. Except you don't have to pay for stones, you just wear two sets of armor...one for looks and one for stats. I can't really begrudge Arenanet for charging for the stones, though. They have no monthly fee and its really just a cosmetic thing.
« Last Edit: Thursday, September 30, 2010, 11:24:31 PM by idolminds »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: Guild Wars II - Update: Creating Cinematics (10-5-2010)
« Reply #54 on: Friday, October 08, 2010, 08:58:45 AM »
Hey, you know how they added the Hall of Monuments to GW1 and said the things you add to it will give you stuff in GW2?

Find out what you get! Type in your characters name and see what unlocks for you. See what else you need to do to unlock more! I've only got six points. I need to get some more so I can at least unlock the tabby cat.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: Guild Wars II - Update: Hall of Monuments Rewards (10-8-2010)
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday, October 19, 2010, 10:42:25 PM »
PC Gamer hands on, and they are doing it all week long!

Part 2 talking about dungeons!

Also the GW2 art book is now available in softcover for $20.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: Guild Wars II - Update: GW2 to have DLC and micro-transactions (10-21)
« Reply #57 on: Thursday, October 21, 2010, 08:35:57 PM »
Already debunked.
Guild Wars 2 fans have been enjoying a series of articles at PC Gamer  this week, but unfortunately the series came with a bit of misinformation. If you read through the articles, you may have noticed some news regarding dungeons as downloadable content in Guild Wars 2.

The community was buzzing about that possibility until Community Manager Regina Buenaobra stepped in to clarify things: "We have not made a decision on whether to sell dungeon content as DLC, contrary to what the article states. The author of the article jumped to this (incorrect) conclusion based upon his interpretation of Eric's statements."

Eric Flannum released a clarification that stated in part "...our core philosophy--of not requiring you to spend additional money to play the game and not making the game difficult or painful to play in order to encourage you to buy things from the store--still stands."
I mean, there will be some microtransaction things, we already knew that. But PC Gamer kinda took that too far.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #58 on: Friday, January 07, 2011, 08:16:52 PM »
I know what you want. You want 50 minutes of gameplay footage.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #59 on: Saturday, January 08, 2011, 02:10:06 AM »
Wow, man. That looks amazing, for an MMO. It does certainly appear that they have finally added to the traditional formula and the game seems to offer a lot more than the monotony I've come to expect of MMOs.

I'm really looking forward to GW2.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Guild Wars II - Update: Over 50 minutes of gameplay footage (thanks, Idol!)
« Reply #60 on: Saturday, January 08, 2011, 07:49:47 AM »
Whoa - those cut-scenes have style and are quite cool.

EDIT:
About 23 minutes into this vid.

Wow - "epic" can't even describe how amazing this game looks in every single aspect. The gameplay, graphics (artistic & technical), cut-scenes - everything looks amazing here.

The overhead map looks great - and even tells you where important quests and characters are to the player. Geez - why didn't other games think of something like that before?

I like that the character now jumps, rolls, dodges, etc.

This looks phenomenal. I need to go work on Guild Wars 1 + expansions now, thanks...
« Last Edit: Saturday, January 08, 2011, 08:56:49 AM by MysterD »

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
Re: Guild Wars II - Update: 50 minutes of awesome gameplay footage (thanks, Idol!)
« Reply #61 on: Saturday, January 08, 2011, 09:31:08 AM »
I'm actually watching this 54 minute video right now, about 27 minutes in. II was skimming it last night, and if you don't watch any of the rest of it, at least skip to 43 minutes and watch the part with the dragon. This video alone has turned me from, "meh, another GW" to actually interested.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Guild Wars II - Update: 50 minutes of awesome gameplay footage (thanks, Idol!)
« Reply #62 on: Saturday, January 08, 2011, 09:47:21 AM »
The stuff where you can be the Charr was awesome.
Epic doesn't even describe what this game looks like...

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: Guild Wars II - Update: No retail stand-alone expansions planned
« Reply #66 on: Tuesday, August 09, 2011, 08:10:09 AM »
That is one cool looking race. I love the hair.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Guild Wars 2 revealed!
« Reply #67 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2012, 11:35:59 PM »
Guild Wars 2 pre-order is now available.

Is it just me or is it expensive?

The official pricing scheme is akin to Mass Effect 3: regular @ $60 USD, deluxe @ $80 USD.

For some reason GreenManGaming lists it at $75 USD for regular and $99.95 USD for deluxe.

With the release date looking like December 2012 there's no real rush to pre-order.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #68 on: Thursday, April 12, 2012, 09:26:17 AM »
The price is up there but not really much higher than most new games now. Plus its an MMO with no monthly fee so I'm sure they are trying to cover that a bit.

But yeah, no need to preorder.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #69 on: Thursday, April 12, 2012, 09:51:04 AM »
Yeah, I'm more than ok paying that instead of a monthly fee (which I hate and one of the reasons I never got into MMOs).

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #70 on: Thursday, April 12, 2012, 01:47:05 PM »
True, I'd also rather pay a single upfront price for a game and never have to worry about subscriptions.

This will likely be the MMO to which I may actually dedicate myself. Wishful thinking at this stage but I'm optimistic.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Guild Wars II - Update: No retail stand-alone expansions planned
« Reply #71 on: Friday, June 01, 2012, 03:34:06 PM »
So you guys know....

GameSpy and GameSpot reviewers have been giving out GW2 Beta Keys on their Twitter accounts.
So, if you looking for one, there you go...

I got my hands on one for June 8-10. :D

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: The Guild Wars 2 thread.
« Reply #72 on: Friday, June 01, 2012, 11:41:16 PM »
If someone gets an extra one, please pass it to me.

I am going to get this game. Where is the excitement? GW2 looks brilliant.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: The Guild Wars 2 thread.
« Reply #73 on: Saturday, June 02, 2012, 08:20:22 AM »
If someone gets an extra one, please pass it to me.

I am going to get this game. Where is the excitement? GW2 looks brilliant.

Just so you know, it's gonna be a massive download.
The game requires 25 GB HDD of space...  :o

If I see more Beta keys being plastered on Twitter, I'll let the boards know.
The thing is - they're pretty much gone as soon as they're posted.
So, yeah - you gotta be fast when registering it and filling out the info section...

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Guild Wars 2
« Reply #74 on: Monday, June 11, 2012, 02:44:54 PM »
I'm about to go eat...
But, since there is NO NDA and we are encouraged to talk about the game [for good reason, I might add], does anybody wanna hear my thoughts on GW2 Beta when I come back?

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #75 on: Monday, June 11, 2012, 02:58:46 PM »
Sure, Id be interested. I had an opportunity to get a beta key but that download was just not going to happen for a weekend test.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #76 on: Monday, June 11, 2012, 03:42:04 PM »
Yea. My friend preordered the game a while back so I saw the Beta for a few hours at his place. The game looks merely OK. Kinda looks less 'RPG' than I'd expect.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #77 on: Monday, June 11, 2012, 04:07:58 PM »
Intro
Thank God for No NDA's, as I can actually talk about the Guild Wars 2 Beta that I was involved with this past weekend - hell, they encourage even on the splash screen! I can see why they feel this way. This game feels like it's ready to ship. It feels like it's primed and ready to go.

My Thief Character & Personal Quests
My character was a Human Male Thief - which basically set traps, are fast, and can use deadly weapons. Character Creation involved picking your character's look, clothes, etc - you know, the usual RPG decisions on the cosmetic factor. Then, it goes a few steps further. The game asks you a few "character background" questions - and whatever you answer, some of these will cause what some of your "Personal Story Quests", which are basically the instances in the game. To go w/ the Thief theme, I decided to be a Street Rat character, who grew-up in the streets. And that I also decided that I never knew my parents - so I picked that for one of my character's goals. Charm was my special skill. There are other options [i.e. Intimidation and there are others] - and whatever you decide here, these can be important for your personal instanced-quests, which often multiple outcomes to them. Usually, that special skill will be an option you can use in dialogue, when making a decision. That's right - some personal quests involve you making some sort of decision and the outcome of that quest will be different. I did my Personal Quests basically alone without any other online players.

Exploring The Game-World
You will want to explore the game-world. First off, the game-world's huge. Second off, there's rewards for exploring it. There are areas in the game-world and in the cities, which you get experience just by reaching those points on the map. Third off, the game is just down-right beautiful to look at - so it's worth exploring for that reason, as well.

Events, Quests & Whatnot All On A Worldly Scale
The game is nothing short of just about everything happening on a grand and huge epic scale. This is NOT the same GW1 you played before. Most things are happening on a world stage. In GW1, you had towns that were the hubs w/ Lord knows how many players running around in those areas, trying to get a small group together to go off. And then, when you all went off to the game-world, those were the instances. Not here in GW2. The game-world is basically comprised of players, doing whatever quests they are doing. These normally aren't instanced. Basically, you can look at your BIG world-map or your small mini-map - and from there, if you've explored the area, you can see where the quests are at. You don't even have to talk to quest-giver NPC's or anything, when doing these World Quests. On the upper-right hand corner, a World Quest will just pop up and tell you what you and whomever is in the area what they can do in that area. It'll tell you what level your character should be to do the quest, as well. Often, multiple objectives are there and you have to do so much of it that it fills up the meter bar to finish the quest. They often involve numerous things you can do to help out, such as "take care of the land", "kill monsters", "trap monsters", "return specific item to specific NPC", "destroy a specific item the monsters are using as a unit", etc.

Major World Events
Sometimes, you'll be in an area, and you'll get a Major World Event. You'll know when this occurs. You'll see people in the chat for the Map talk about it, tell everybody to go rally there, you'll see the event marked-off on the map, and basically you'll see TONS of players show-up to attack this brutal boss-like character to try to take it down. These often involve a HUGE monster appearing in the area, usually like the smaller ones that are in that region - and you and the players on the map are to take it down. And yes, you'll be fighting ALSO the smaller versions of the monsters, right along w/ the HUGE monster. Don't be surprised if it's hard to keep up w/ what's going on w/ so much action on-screen. I had to turn my setting from Ultra down to High, to alleviate the framerate issues that only were happening when these Major World Events occurred.

Gameplay
Basically, you'll be mostly doing World Events and Major World Events, most of the time.
It pretty much goes like this:
1. Do World Events and Major World Events within your level to do so you can level-up;
2. Actually level-up and spend your points there;
3. Repeat this until you level-up enough to do a Personal Story Quest;
4. Do the Personal Story Quest;
5. Go back to Step 1.

Combat
Combat is similar to Guild Wars 1. You had your option to physically move them or click where you want to go in GW1. Though, you don't anymore have the option to just click where you want to go in GW2. You physically have to move your character directly. Though, there is also an Auto-Run Toggle, so if you hit this key, the character will keep running ahead until you tell him or her to stop by hitting that same key. You may Target Enemies, if you click - by left-clicking on them or using your Target hot-key. Once near an enemy, Right-click will basically auto-attack until you move or fire a skill off from your toolbar. You have a limited amount of skills you can toss onto your toolbar at the bottom of the screen. On the left, are your skills that are tied to whatever you have equipped. Depending on what weapons you equip, certain skills are filtered to that area. Equip a sword, expect certain sword-based skills in Slots 1-5. Equip a sword in one hand and a gun in your-off hand, expect some sword skills on 1-3 and 2 off-hand skills for your gun. For slots 6-10, expect your Utility skills to sit here. These Utility skills, above the skill, is an arrow. Click the arrow, and you can actually switch and swap those Utility skills out while on-the-fly, if you feel the need to do so. There's A LOT of combat in this game, to say the least. Combat looks, feels, and sounds great. You can roll-dodge out of the way, as well - there's a key for rolling and/or in the Options you can enable/disable Double-Tap of a direction to roll that way.

Always Online
This is a MMO, so expect to be forced to be online to play at all times. Friday Night, when they upped the player count per map, it basically brought the game to lag-city for about a half hour or so for EVERYBODY. But, it was nothing a hard-reboot of the game and their servers on their end couldn't solve. That was the only issue I had all weekend w/ connecting to their servers. I had no other issues for the rest of the weekend. And I spent a good 13 hours or so in total w/ the game, from Friday to Sunday. If a server's getting packed w/ players, the game has no problem w/ queuing players off to another server to play on and then deciding to ship them off to another server, once a quest is completed or whatever the case might be. I really hope they don't run into any issues online, once the game actually launches to the public officially - b/c I've quite enjoyed what I've played and I don't think we want to see a repeat of what happened w/ Diablo 3. I'm curious how it'll all turn out and what gamers will think of the game once the game is actually released b/c I quite enjoyed my time with this Guild Wars 2 Beta. If my time with the GW2 Beta is an indication of anything, this is going to be a very good and epic action-packed MMO.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #78 on: Thursday, June 28, 2012, 06:14:51 AM »
Guild Wars 2 release date announced:
August 28, 2012

http://www.arena.net/blog/announcing-the-guild-wars-2-launch-date

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #79 on: Thursday, June 28, 2012, 07:42:34 AM »
Sweet! That's several months ahead of the assumed schedule!