Author Topic: Guild Wars 2  (Read 43786 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: Guild Wars 2
« Reply #81 on: Monday, July 09, 2012, 05:20:05 PM »
Intro
Thank God for No NDA's, as I can actually talk about the Guild Wars 2 Beta that I was involved with this past weekend

????? You've got to be kidding Greg Kasavin!

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #82 on: Tuesday, July 10, 2012, 08:35:30 AM »
BTW there's going to be one more beta weekend event before launch. It will be July 20-22, and will have all races available. (first time Asura and Sylvari have been available for a BWE)

I'm hearing amazon preorders work for getting into the BWE. (I think before you had to pre-purchase: pay the full game price ahead of time)

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #83 on: Thursday, July 12, 2012, 09:25:20 AM »
EDIT: Keys already gone apparently lol.
« Last Edit: Friday, July 13, 2012, 02:00:37 PM by W7RE »

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #84 on: Friday, July 13, 2012, 02:00:26 PM »
Here's another link for free keys to the last beta weekend. No idea how long they'll still have them.

http://www.geforce.co.uk/games-applications/pc-games/guild-wars-2/deals-promotions

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #85 on: Friday, July 13, 2012, 03:33:56 PM »
Thanks for that W7RE! Got my key.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #86 on: Monday, July 23, 2012, 07:37:24 AM »
I finally participated in a GW2 beta! It was awesome, to say the least.

It is clearly a MMO and you will still have to level grind from time to time but the way they've changed the formula means that grinding doesn't take forever and you can move on with whatever interests you.

Anyway, I was so impressed with what I had played I went ahead and pre-purchased. I know this is a game I want to play and I'm willing to commit from now.

My GW2 display name is xessive.3568. Feel free to add me! We'll have to figure out servers/worlds etc.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #87 on: Wednesday, July 25, 2012, 01:43:07 AM »
My GW2 display name is xessive.3568. Feel free to add me! We'll have to figure out servers/worlds etc.

There's a buddying system that allows you to join friends on other servers, and I think guilds are even game wide instead of server specific. I'm not sure about the small scale structures pvp or the 5 man instances, but the large scale 3 way server vs server stuff can only be done with people on our own server.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #88 on: Wednesday, July 25, 2012, 02:25:04 AM »
There's a buddying system that allows you to join friends on other servers, and I think guilds are even game wide instead of server specific. I'm not sure about the small scale structures pvp or the 5 man instances, but the large scale 3 way server vs server stuff can only be done with people on our own server.
Awesome. In the beta they showed off some of the World V World and PVP stuff. I'm not big on PVP but it was pretty fun nonetheless.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #89 on: Thursday, August 02, 2012, 10:53:59 AM »
There's another stress test today. In about an hour actually.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #90 on: Wednesday, August 08, 2012, 11:11:16 AM »
Felicia Day unboxing her CE!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #91 on: Wednesday, August 08, 2012, 01:59:25 PM »
*sigh*

The Internet makes me sad. I loved the first games, wish I could get into this.

Did they ever talk about shutting down the servers for original GW?

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #92 on: Wednesday, August 08, 2012, 02:07:32 PM »
Last I heard they said as long as people are playing, GW will keep running.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #93 on: Wednesday, August 08, 2012, 06:30:57 PM »
There's another stress test tomorrow, Thursday, August 9, 12:00pm to 4:00pm Pacific.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #94 on: Thursday, August 09, 2012, 08:42:29 PM »
And another stress test tomorrow. Friday August 9, 4:00pm to 8:00pm pacific.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #95 on: Wednesday, August 22, 2012, 04:26:58 PM »
So what's the level cap of GW2...5?  From what little I played from GW made me think they took as much out of it that makes mmos.  Mmos are supposed to be spacious and with as little instance as possible say for dungeons.  From what I understand of GW2 that's what they are going to do.  LOTRO is a great example of open environment.  It takes alot of time even whith a horse to explore on of the zones in that game.

... who the heck is this dude? 212 posts!

Anyway, the game is a few days away! Who is excited?

Anyone going for the CE? The real world items are exciting, but the ingame stuff looks really crap, with such limited use! At the very least they could have had some permanent aesthetic thing, ala Diablo 3 wings.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #96 on: Wednesday, August 22, 2012, 04:41:33 PM »
All I want is the art book. I have all the CEs of the first game, and only because they had art. The concept art for this series is just fucking mindblowingly good. So much cool stuff.

It makes me really sad that I'm not going to be part of GW2. I still have so much of the original games to explore, anyway. I played a ton but feel like I barely scratched the surface. I'd still probably go back at some point if Idol talked me into it.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #97 on: Wednesday, August 22, 2012, 07:49:42 PM »
That can be arranged.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #98 on: Wednesday, August 22, 2012, 09:40:31 PM »
Well, you're going to have to compete with school, now, which is going to be even worse than competing with just writing. But we'll see how bad I flunk out.  :troll:

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #99 on: Wednesday, August 22, 2012, 10:08:54 PM »
I wouldn't mind starting a fresh character just to join you guys in GW1! I'm still technically a noob there anyway :P I was figuring GW2 will be my real foray into it!

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #100 on: Wednesday, August 22, 2012, 11:56:46 PM »
I'm super excited. Stocking up on bad junk food and planning on staying up all night playing friday night for the 3 day head start.

I've got all 5 of my character slots planned too. I'm gonna create all 5 now, but then spend most of my time just on the thief. GW1 had birthday presents that your characters got on the anniversary of their creation, so I'm getting all 5 slots filled right away so that I'll get them all on the same day in a year.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #101 on: Saturday, August 25, 2012, 06:07:14 AM »
Head start officially started!

Down side? Connection error!!! ARRRGH!

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #102 on: Saturday, August 25, 2012, 06:44:21 AM »
Man I so hope I can play this.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #103 on: Saturday, August 25, 2012, 12:35:19 PM »
Oh yeah! ArenaNet sorted it out and I was able to get some game time!

Created my main character, a Ranger, and I toyed around with a Thief character as well. I'm kinda starting to lean more toward the Thief but I still like my Ranger :)

Anyway, it's awesome and a lot more polished than the betas (of course). Get in as soon as you can!

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #104 on: Sunday, August 26, 2012, 08:36:32 AM »
This is interesting.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #105 on: Sunday, August 26, 2012, 08:41:41 AM »
Oh yeah! ArenaNet sorted it out and I was able to get some game time!

Created my main character, a Ranger, and I toyed around with a Thief character as well. I'm kinda starting to lean more toward the Thief but I still like my Ranger :)

Anyway, it's awesome and a lot more polished than the betas (of course). Get in as soon as you can!

Even though I'm not buying GW2 soon probably...

Since we were in the Beta - we could just buy a key from somewhere, input key into your account, and it'll update what it needs to, right?
I really don't & wouldn't wanna do that 15GB download again.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #106 on: Sunday, August 26, 2012, 01:38:07 PM »
Even though I'm not buying GW2 soon probably...

Since we were in the Beta - we could just buy a key from somewhere, input key into your account, and it'll update what it needs to, right?
I really don't & wouldn't wanna do that 15GB download again.

Yeah, that's what I did. It downloaded the necessary stuff (nearly 800MB or so for me) and that was it.

Btw, my GW2 username is xessive.3568 if anyone happens to log on! I've put it in my forum profile as well just in case ;)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #107 on: Monday, August 27, 2012, 05:07:31 PM »
Yeah, that's what I did. It downloaded the necessary stuff (nearly 800MB or so for me) and that was it.
Good to know, in case I do get around to eventually buying the game - if it hits a price-drop or something down-the-line...! :)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #108 on: Monday, August 27, 2012, 05:28:32 PM »
It would be nice if people who actually are playing the game would be replying with updates on their experiences.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #109 on: Monday, August 27, 2012, 11:04:46 PM »
Haha sorry, it's too good to express in words! I will give a detailed account of my experience but for now I will say this, it is certainly the best looking MMORPG I have seen to date!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #110 on: Tuesday, August 28, 2012, 04:31:49 PM »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #111 on: Tuesday, August 28, 2012, 08:55:18 PM »

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #112 on: Tuesday, August 28, 2012, 09:03:43 PM »
It would be nice if people who actually are playing the game would be replying with updates on their experiences.

Too busy playing. Play, eat, sleep (a little).

Not sure what to say. My asura thief is level 33 now. I got a charr thief up to 31 in the beta, so thus far it's been exactly as I expected, which is awesome. I've barely touched WvW and haven't done any sPvP. I ended up on a bad server as far as WvW is concerned. It's lower pop than most, and has a lot of PvE and RP type players. So I guess they get zerged, demoralized, and don't bother with it. Common scores are 1000,000+ for other servers, and 20,000 points for our server. A lot of servers have long queue times for WvW, but ours never has queues because no one does it.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #113 on: Tuesday, August 28, 2012, 11:38:10 PM »
Should I get this? I want to get the CE. Worth the online stuff?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #114 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 02:49:10 AM »
The online stuff is "meh" especially since most of it 1-time use stuff. I grabbed the Digital Deluxe edition and I'm not regretting it but I'm questioning the value of the extra $20.

If you're gonna get the CE it's a worthwhile package for the real stuff (see Felicia Day's unboxing a few posts earlier).

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #115 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 03:58:12 AM »
I know about the physical items, but what about the digital stuff with the CE? Are they lifetime? I can't figure it out from the website. Like the little follower thing you get. :P

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #116 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 05:47:48 AM »
Digital Deluxe/Collector's in-game items:
  • Summon Mistfire Wolf Elite Skill: This goes in your "long cooldown" skill slot, and summons a blueish spectral wolf to fight with you for 30 seconds. I don't know how powerful it is, I doubt it's much better than other elite skills though. Each character has access to about 6 different elite skills, and can have one equipped at a time. (video of it and the Rytlok mini)
  • Miniature Rytlock: Like a mini pet from WoW. It follows you around and doesn't fight. It's a mini version of the Charr hero character Rytlok Brimstone.
  • Golem Banker: Allows access to your bank from anywhere. It lasts 5 days once used, so you won't have it forever.
  • Chalice of Glory: Gives you some glory, which is PvP currency used to buy gear. The WoW equivalent of this would be like getting 1000 or so honor points for free, once.
  • Tome of Influence: Similar to the glory item, this gives your guild some influence points. You guild earns influence from what the players do in game, and that influence is spent to unlock WoW style guild perks.

Honestly unless you really want the Rytlok mini or the Mistfire Wolf, I'd say your'e better off spending that $20 on gems for another bag slot, more bank space, more characters slots, etc.

EDIT: Also if you buy the regular edition and decide later that you wanted the stuff from the digital deluxe edition, you can buy it in the gem store in-game. The gem to dollar exchange makes it $25 though.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 06:21:47 AM by W7RE »

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #117 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 06:19:31 AM »
By the way, on the topic of microtransactions, bank space, bag space, etc. Bank space is a little limited if you don't spend gems to upgrade it, but bag space isn't bad at all.

Bag space: http://i.minus.com/ibtr8VfIeF1TFo.png
This is my current inventory space (with all bags combined so it looks like one big bag). 20 slot backpack, two 8 slots bags, and two 10 slot bags. That last icon on the left side with a padlock on it, that's another bag space. You have to pay 400 gems ($5) to unlock that. I don't know if you can unlock more than one or not. It's also worth noting that collections items (crafting mats mostly) can be moved to the bank's collections section from anywhere in the world. There's even a button for "deposit all collectibles", which does that with all valid items in your bags.

Bank space: http://i.minus.com/ibm303oTJBDXHJ.png
The section on the left is my inventory. So you have 30 slots of bank space, and can unlock "another tab" for 600 gems ($7.50). I'm guessing the space I have now is considered a "tab", so buying more would double it. One thing to note though, all raw crafting materials (wood, ore, cloth, leather, etc) are considered "collectibles". There's a separate section of the bank for collectibles. It's got a slot for every material type in the game, and you can hold an unlimited number of each. Mini pets also have their own slots in the collections tab, but any that you're carrying with you do take up bag space.

Here's what the collections tab looks like: http://i.minus.com/iGhAIctaoN6RV.png

Most of the rest of the items in the gem store are cosmetic or negligible. There are items that give a 30-60 minute boost to XP gained, keys to unlock the chests that drop randomly (but they contain mostly temp buff items and temporary disguise items), town clothes items (you have a separate outfit for non combat that you can switch to on the fly), cosmetic armor sets, etc. Assuming they can make enough money from it to keep the game going, I think they've done the cash shop correctly. You don't feel like you're missing out by not buying stuff.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #118 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 07:15:29 AM »
Eye opening, to be honest dude. I had no idea about bank space etc. I get how it works.

So how cool is the Miniature Rytlock? I'll be honest. I love my Diablo 3 CE wings. Yes I am lame, but I like some permanent aesthetic bonus that says I got a CE. So yes, lame, but are these miniatures exclusive? Or can I get other miniatures if I don't have the CE.

At this stage the digital deluxe doesn't seem worth it. So it is down to the CE vs the regular edition.

By the way, thanks a lot Wire. You are the first person who actually explained this stuff to me in laymen terms. I never played an MMO. Ever.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #119 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 07:42:16 AM »
The collections section of the bank has slots for 59 different mini pets. Rytlok and 5 others are under a "mini pets (special)" section. So you'll probably see people running around with other mini pets, but the Rytlok one is probably only from the collector's and digital deluxe editions.

Also, in WoW the small pets are stylized so that they look sort of like baby versions of whatever they are. In Guild Wars, they use the same model as the larger version. You could call it lazy, but you also get all the detail of the full size model.

Diablo mini pet in WoW:

Rytlok mini in GW2 (here's a better shot of the model):

And actually, if you've never played an MMO, even World of Warcraft, that might be an advantage for you with guild Wars 2. With most recent MMOs you have a very linear progression of quests that lead you through each zone as you level up. Specifically I was recently playing the WoW Mists of Pandaria beta and got really bored with the quest I was on. I couldn't skip it though, because without completing it I couldn't get the next quest, and thus couldn't continue questing in that area. I was locked into that quest progression and had to complete every step.

In Guild Wars 2 you explore and randomly run across events happening in the world. When I play I generally see something interesting and run toward it, then sometimes get distracted by some crazy event happening. As an example I was in the Charr starting area yesterday and was at a camp with a couple charr and human NPCs. Suddenly harpies started flying into the camp and someone yelled "the harpies are coming! Don't let them steal our supplies!" I was the only player there, and I fought for a couple minutes, but ultimately the harpies stole all the supplies. Then the charr and human started talking to eachother. The charr told the human to go get the supplies back, she complained that she always has to do everything, he pointed out that he was the reason the charr aren't hostile toward her, and she agreed to go get the supplies. She ran off and I followed her, and when she got near the harpy nests she said "woah, that doesn't look safe. I'm just gonna wait here and someone else can help get the goods back." This started another event, where I killed harpies and collected the goods, and then brought them back to the human. Once she had enough, she ran back to town and told the charr she had gotten the supplies back.

I could have left at any time, all of this was optional. If I went back to that same camp right now, I might now see the same things happen. The harpies might not attack. They might attack and fail to steal the supplies.