Author Topic: Grand Theft Auto 4  (Read 110489 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: Grand Theft Auto 4
« Reply #80 on: Saturday, April 26, 2008, 02:20:13 PM »
I am really looking forward to GTA4, when it comes to the PC. I think it will, in due time.

But, I tell you -- that IGN video review of GTA4 X360/PS3 was pretty good. We all can assume the SP will turn out great, since I don't think any of the GTA's since GTA3 been "eh" on the SP's; they all been at the worst good SP campaigns.

I think the GTA4 Multi-player sounds like it'll be a blast, since it won't be just a small map; it'll be the whole gameworld and you can get 16 players w/ you going nuts on each other doing whatever in this ridiculously sized world. That just sounds awesome. And it sounds like they packed a cool amount of different gamemodes for it, too.

Let me think further on MP, since that is what PC does normally better than consoles. GTA4 MP just sounds like something on the PC, gamers could go really nuts with -- especially if a PC version could allow for over 16 players; like maybe 32 or 64. That'd be crazy.

Are there going to be some DLC's for GTA4 on the consoles? DLC is the rage for some reason, so I'm betting there probably will be.

EDIT:
Hehe, looks like Microsoft is gonna (at the very least) X-Box Live ban those who played the leak of GTA4 X360 before its release, since some people are already stating they have it and all on message boards online.
« Last Edit: Sunday, April 27, 2008, 05:17:27 AM by MysterD »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #81 on: Sunday, April 27, 2008, 09:45:36 AM »
Holy sheepshit.

GameTrailers has an excellent, 11-minute long video review up that encompasses virtually everything you could want to know, levels a few of their usual cynical criticisms throughout, and ultimately give the game a 9.8.  And if you check out MetaCritic, you'll note that the 100s the game has received have grown to 7 from 3.  That's 4 more overnight.  9 reviews with an average metascore of 100?  Critics sure love this one.  And from the extended gameplay you get to watch in the GT video, it's not hard to see why.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #82 on: Sunday, April 27, 2008, 12:25:45 PM »
Holy crapski.  That was awesome.  Man.  I'm salivating for this thing now.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #83 on: Sunday, April 27, 2008, 12:28:48 PM »
I wanted to pick up the SE of this just for the hell of it since it seems it's going to be such a milestone (and since I don't think a GTA game has ever had one before, have they?), but they stopped selling the preorders.  I'm going to hit the midnight launch to see if I can grab an extra if there are any, but I suspect it'll be too busy for that to happen.  Should have jumped on it when I had the chance, but... eh.  Hindsight.

EDIT - 9 or 10 100s at MC now, with another 97 and 95 thrown in for the 360 and PS3 versions.  Yeesh.
« Last Edit: Sunday, April 27, 2008, 01:35:54 PM by Quemaqua »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #84 on: Sunday, April 27, 2008, 04:22:27 PM »
1Up's Review
A+ from 1Up

I'm watching the Vid Review on 1Up, and it's really interesting that you can actually go on bowling, play pool, throw darts, go to the Net Cafe to browse (Rockstar's) Internet, watch TV programming,etc etc.

EDIT:
More Reviews
PERFECT 10 from EuroGamer for X360 Version
Another TEN, but from TeamXbox
10 from GameDaily
10 from GameInformer
GamePro delivers their review
9.5 from CVG for X360 Version

GameSpy's Revew
PERFECT 5 stars from GameSpy for X360 Version
Quote from: GameSpy
The ability to take taxi cabs everywhere might be the most important innovation of all, as it drastically cuts down on the amount of time you'll have to spend driving from one area to another.
Oh, there's fast-traveling in GTA4! Nice!
That's one feature that I wish GTA: SA had, actually.
« Last Edit: Sunday, April 27, 2008, 04:56:05 PM by MysterD »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #85 on: Sunday, April 27, 2008, 04:55:28 PM »
Heh, damn.  Crazy stuff.

I'd like to point out that I only just now found out the 360 is the only console getting DLC, and that's fucking stupid bullshit.  Why the fuck are you giving DLC to the console that doesn't have a standard hard drive and avoiding giving it to the console that has one equipped no matter who you are?  Rockstar, for that you can take a nosedive into a pile of horseshit.  I'm sorry, but that pisses me off.  There's no reason for that.  Just because I want to buy the game on a console that isn't going to explode in 6 months I get penalized?  Kiss my ass.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #86 on: Sunday, April 27, 2008, 04:57:46 PM »
That seems silly that only the 360 Version's getting DLC Stuff.

Does the PS3 have a good amount of DLC stuff for new games these days, Que?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #87 on: Sunday, April 27, 2008, 05:04:16 PM »
Quite a lot.  The only reason I can see for this is Microsoft paying for exclusivity.  I obviously don't have the first clue if that's the case, but I can't see any other reason barring some technical limitation, almost any of which I will immediately call bullshit without some pretty sincerely convincing evidence to the contrary.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #88 on: Sunday, April 27, 2008, 05:10:10 PM »
Quite a lot.
Well, that's crappy then.

The only reason I can see for this is Microsoft paying for exclusivity.
That would not surprise me.

I obviously don't have the first clue if that's the case, but I can't see any other reason barring some technical limitation, almost any of which I will immediately call bullshit without some pretty sincerely convincing evidence to the contrary.
The PS3 might be tough to work around b/c of its hardware and its structure, but I very highly doubt it's *that* tough to add new DLC Content for; especially since everybody has a HD on the PS3.

And if there's a lot of DLC Content, yeah -- something's up. If I recall, I don't think BethSoft released any of The DLC Content for Oblivion PS3....Oblivion PS3 came w/ KOTN, but I don't think it came w/ Shivering Isles or any of The DLC Stuff that came out after Shivering Isles. I'm not 100% sure, so if you do know, please correct me if I'm wrong...

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #89 on: Sunday, April 27, 2008, 05:26:29 PM »
You're wrong.  Shivering Isles was released for PS3 as a standalone download on PSN, and it was included as part of the GOTY edition of the game if I'm not mistaken.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #90 on: Sunday, April 27, 2008, 05:42:27 PM »
You're wrong.  Shivering Isles was released for PS3 as a standalone download on PSN, and it was included as part of the GOTY edition of the game if I'm not mistaken.
Thanks for the correction, bro.
I'm glad BethSoft didn't leave PS3 gamers behind on the extra content.

I hope Rockstar don't leave PS3 gamers out on the GTA4 DLC extras, either.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #91 on: Sunday, April 27, 2008, 06:14:16 PM »
i really wouldn't be surprised if the DLC is a timed exclusive only. also, i'm sure i remember hearing something about separate exclusive downloads available for each console down the line - that was quite a while ago though, so there's every chance my mind is playing tricks on me.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #92 on: Sunday, April 27, 2008, 10:10:47 PM »
It wouldn't surprise me if it's a timed thing either.  Still, I hate it when they gimp stuff like that.

Anyway... coolest TV spot ever.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #93 on: Sunday, April 27, 2008, 10:29:24 PM »
Ah!  There it is.  I had seen it, and then couldn't find it again.  That is a slick commercial.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #94 on: Sunday, April 27, 2008, 10:31:33 PM »
Also, I plan to watch the full 720P GameTrailers review on my PS3 and 720P HDTV since I found this little gem.  Works brilliantly.  Using it right now to transfer the file over from my PC.  Ain't technology grand?

EDIT - Hell, that was just beautiful.  I have to stop torturing myself like this.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #95 on: Sunday, April 27, 2008, 11:49:14 PM »
Yeah, I watched the gametrailer.com review.  Off the hook.  I've never actually finished a GTA game, but I'll have to check this out when I get a ps3 or it hits the PC.  I also need to get back into San Andreas.

Offline JacksRag(e)

« Reply #96 on: Monday, April 28, 2008, 12:19:30 AM »
Just paid off the LE edition this afternoon.  Looks pretty awesome.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #97 on: Monday, April 28, 2008, 12:24:20 AM »
I ended up going for the SE also, but instead of risking not getting one or having to pay for it on ebay, I just ordered it online from somewhere still taking preorders.  Hooray!

Offline JacksRag(e)

« Reply #98 on: Monday, April 28, 2008, 01:22:49 AM »
I believe that if you pre-order off of Amazon it comes with a GTA IV vanity plate also.  So, that's something to think about if you didn't get it off Amazon. 

In the meantime, I'll keep myself occupied with Mario Kart and Okami....

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #99 on: Monday, April 28, 2008, 02:20:35 AM »
Yea I checked out the gametrailers review... fucking hell, I want this game now. Im probably just going to grab the regular version, LEs are too expensive for me. I wish some of you were going to get the 360 version, I would love to play online with you guys.

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
« Reply #100 on: Monday, April 28, 2008, 04:48:35 AM »
Ill be getting the 360 version once my damn console comes back working.

Offline JacksRag(e)

« Reply #101 on: Monday, April 28, 2008, 05:55:47 AM »
I would like to play with you guys too, but I have trouble paying for XBL when PS3 and Wii owners (kinda) get online multiplayer for free.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #102 on: Monday, April 28, 2008, 07:09:51 AM »
Yeah, same here.  I'll never pay for Live.  That said, I'm sure a lot of people will be getting the 360 version, so you'll have folks to play with, Pyro.  I'm just glad to know that for once I'll have people to play with, too!

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #103 on: Monday, April 28, 2008, 09:24:39 AM »
Well I called up the gamecrazy here in town and they told me they had some reserve spots left for the 360 game, so I drove over there and got one. Looks like tonight is going to be spent in Liberty City, Im rather excited now.

Oh hey poom, do I have your gamertag? Mine is PyroMenace, we'll have to play when you grab it.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #104 on: Monday, April 28, 2008, 02:43:15 PM »
$90 for the LE/SE?  No thank you.  Even if I had money to burn, no thank you.  The normal edition will do just fine.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #105 on: Monday, April 28, 2008, 02:44:08 PM »
« Last Edit: Monday, April 28, 2008, 08:43:41 PM by MysterD »

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #106 on: Monday, April 28, 2008, 08:42:49 PM »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #107 on: Monday, April 28, 2008, 08:43:25 PM »

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #108 on: Monday, April 28, 2008, 10:28:06 PM »
Uh-oh, this is awkward.  Um, D...the door is over there.  We found a replacement and don't need you anymore.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #109 on: Monday, April 28, 2008, 10:31:20 PM »
Yikes.....

gpw I don't think you realize what you are getting yourself into. You're in for a world of pain.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #110 on: Monday, April 28, 2008, 11:06:32 PM »
Gamespot just gave it a 10.
How can it get a 10 if it has some stuff (minor as it is) listed in "The Bad?" It should be like a 9.9 or something.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #111 on: Monday, April 28, 2008, 11:33:42 PM »
Because it's just sort of a general scale and scores are, ultimately, completely meaningless?

EDIT - The news likes GTA4?  Well, maybe not, but Ken Schram does.  Or at least he wishes everyone else would just shut the fuck up about it.
« Last Edit: Monday, April 28, 2008, 11:55:25 PM by Quemaqua »

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #112 on: Tuesday, April 29, 2008, 12:30:33 AM »
The problem with the number scale is that it eventually gets pegged at max by something that pushes the state of the art.  Then everything that comes after gets judged against it.  Older games which got perfect scores in their day wouldn't even come close to that now.  At least that's the way it seems to me.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #113 on: Tuesday, April 29, 2008, 12:40:52 AM »
Game reviews are just a weird anomaly, really.

Anyway, first reports of GTA4 freezes coming in.  Apparently some 360 users are experiencing it but the worst seems to be on PS3.  There's a chance that it's a shoddy batch of games that were shipped to Gamestop, but it looks most definitively like it's 60GB and 20GB launch PS3s getting the majority of the problems.  I think some non-launch 60s had freezes, but I haven't heard any word on any other models.  No clue about the 360 side as it doesn't seem quite as widespread.

Been checking out a lot of forums.  The results are hilarious.  Not so much for the freeze thing, but just the usual crap where people mouth off and get the console wars going and talk about how much they hate or love this or that.  Some pure gold over at GSpot.  I swear those people get more idiotic by the second.  If you need a good laugh, check it out.  My favorite thread is the one where a Serbian guy states that the main character is Serbian because guys in the game call he and his cousin Serbs and because the dude *speaks* Serbian at a few points.  Then another guy bitches that the main character's origins weren't revealed by Rockstar and nobody can know anything official, and the argument rages back and forth for a while.  High quality entertainment, and free!

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #114 on: Tuesday, April 29, 2008, 01:28:01 AM »
The scale can be ambigious and it varies among reviewers i.e. an 8 on Gamespot is not eual to an 8 on IGN.

The parts I like most in reviews are the intro summaries (pros & cons) and the conclusion. For details I resort to the body of the review. The score is more of a broad guideline as to where the game fits among its peers.

Now I'm really looking forward to GTA4 (on PC of course)!

I wonder what sort of reaction JT will have!

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #115 on: Tuesday, April 29, 2008, 01:39:39 AM »
The scores are ultimately for publicity anyways. They are meaningless without the actual review. They serve for word of mouth or to put on game boxes. That's why those average scores are ridiculous - two different scores can be based upon completely different criteria.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #116 on: Tuesday, April 29, 2008, 02:20:15 AM »
Haha imagine if we added a random criteria to the score like "Packaging" hehe

"The colour of the box is unappealing and they could have done a better job with the box art. The package materials are of low quality. The discs are in leaflets. Score: 3/10."

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #117 on: Tuesday, April 29, 2008, 04:06:38 AM »
Alright so I put a good amount of time into it and needless to say its a very well polished game. The city looks amazing, people walking up and down sidewalks look like they have more of a purpose, and night and day time distinguish themselves very well, as well as different areas of the city which incorporate different citizens walking about, for instance poorer areas will have more homeless people. There just numerous details to go on about.

The driving also feels much more realistic, meaning its a little more of a challenge weaving in and out of traffic as vehicles driving around the city go at more of a brisker pace. It makes chases more tense and risky. This also goes with gun shootouts. Though I havent had too many of those, the cover system does work, but the main skill involved is locking on and firing. 

So far overall, its definitely GTA3 at its foundation in every way possible. The new generation that the sequel brings is a more interactive and bustling city and a much greater level of detail and polish. I distracted myself a little bit with some of the mini games and little things you can check out in the city like bowling, pool, buying clothes, and checking out the theatre with a chick. You definitely feel like your becoming a part of the city. The story picks up a little slow, you begin doing small simple tasks but im at a point now where your finding more about your character Niko and his purpose so its getting more interesting. Its all done in the same vein at the previous games. Im definitely enjoying the crap out of this one.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #118 on: Tuesday, April 29, 2008, 11:15:41 AM »
The scores are ultimately for publicity anyways. They are meaningless without the actual review. They serve for word of mouth or to put on game boxes. That's why those average scores are ridiculous - two different scores can be based upon completely different criteria.

I don't think they're ridiculous.  If there are oblique motives for some of the scores, then the results are all over the map across reviews.  But when every review hovers around a certain mark, aside from some possible "me too" cases, they share a common push.  Also, everyone now knows that the scores are going to be converted to a percentage scale and averaged.  Even before that, the subjective scale has always tended to coincide with the traditional school grading system, where really only the top 40% or so matters.  Everything below that is too shitty to dwell on.  A 3/5 is bad.  A 6/10 is bad.  A 60 is bad.

How the scores are arrived at is another question.  If the process is bullshit, so is the score.  Hopefully, that all comes out in the wash with the metascores.  If not, well, why bother with the gaming press at all?  Let's just read the glossy ad copy and watch some videos to get a general idea.  We'll have to play the games to figure the rest out for ourselves.  If we have the money and the time, that's probably the best approach.  Else, we have to invest some trust in the press.

Thanks for the impressions, Pyro.  I didn't mean to leapfrog over your much more on-topic post.  :)

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #119 on: Tuesday, April 29, 2008, 12:17:18 PM »
Woo!  Have GTA4, will travel.  Best Buy had them all over, in both flavors, for both consoles.  I briefly held the EE (Expensive Edition).  Big!  But no.  I paid my $60 and tax and came home.  Not even a line at the register.  I figured BB would have plenty of supply.  I was going to Circuit City and Gamestop next if they didn't.

So, that was painless.  Now to see what all the hype is about.