Author Topic: First Bundles...  (Read 4907 times)

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
First Bundles...
« on: Monday, September 18, 2006, 06:09:09 PM »
Now this shit. Hopefully the idea falls completely flat and it dropped really fast.

I'd like to think that one day a console will release in ample numbers and teach all these companies a lesson. Nintendo has certainly been the best when it comes to this sort of thing though. I bought the DS Lite the day it came out by just walking into a local store and I'm sure that wasn't all that uncommon.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re: First Bundles...
« Reply #1 on: Monday, September 18, 2006, 06:22:00 PM »
Wow that's total bullshit.  I have a feeling that it would fall on its face though.  All the games I have right now, I'm keeping.  Gamespot can shove it right up their ass if they try that here.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: Monday, September 18, 2006, 06:56:33 PM »
As you all remember I used to work for these greedy sons of bitches. Oh the stories i can tell....

im too lazy right now though..

and yeah this idea is bullshit.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: Monday, September 18, 2006, 07:05:28 PM »
Yeah, eff that idea. I don't think I've ever traded any of my games or systems, ever. I wouldn't trade any game that I currently own. I absolutely hate Gamestop.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #4 on: Monday, September 18, 2006, 07:11:27 PM »
Nintendo plans to have 4 million units worldwide out by the end of the year. Thats only a month and a half from launch. I dont think you'll have much trouble getting your hands on one. Unless its a huge hit and even that many sells out.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Monday, September 18, 2006, 07:12:03 PM »
Yeah, that's utter crap.  I've never traded in a game and I never intend to.  I'm *building* my library, not sacrificing it for peanuts.  You get jack fucking shit for trade-ins.  Anyway, I don't see Gamestop as any better or worse than other retailers.  They all suck, which is one of the reasons I think online stuff is starting to take off a lot more.  Which I partially don't like, since I enjoy the retail vendors and picking up an actual box.  But I get why people are moving.  It's starting to become a better deal in some regards, and you can often avoid this sort of bullshit.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #6 on: Monday, September 18, 2006, 08:55:04 PM »
I've traded in games before, but they were games I bought on a whim that weren't very good or games recommeded by others that I just didn't like.

Sonic Adventure 2: Battle, Animal Crossing, Devil May Cry, and Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance come to mind.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: Monday, September 18, 2006, 09:00:12 PM »
Heh. I bet you got like $20 for all those combined too.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #8 on: Monday, September 18, 2006, 09:03:35 PM »
Actually, it was like $90.  The list was longer than that, it's just what I could think of off the bat.  I got a decent amount for Devil May Cry, because the game was only a few weeks old when I did this.

But since then, I have picked up different purchasing habits.  I don't buy games based on a whim anymore.  I buy games in genres that I know I like, stay away from those I know I don't like, and listen to you guys a lot - except when it comes to RPGs because I've decided I just don't like them at all.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: Monday, September 18, 2006, 10:16:19 PM »
I think they give you like $8-10 for used games depending on the title anymore. It's such a bullshit deal. And then they turn around and sell it for like $2 under the cost a brand new copy of the same game.

New copy = $39.99
Used copy = $37.99

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #10 on: Monday, September 18, 2006, 10:54:22 PM »
Yeah, it's fucked up.  Completely unworth it.  But they get away with it because idiots continue to do it.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #11 on: Monday, September 18, 2006, 11:01:59 PM »
Not only that, but its store credit, not real money. If you want money they take another 20% out or some such bullshit.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #12 on: Monday, September 18, 2006, 11:03:42 PM »
I think it is fine as an option as many kids don't mind, but it fucking surprises me how many people are willing to resell their beloved old games once they are done.

How could you do that?

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
« Reply #13 on: Monday, September 18, 2006, 11:10:36 PM »
I agree.  I mean, this would be a great OPTION for somebody looking to reserve a Wii or PS3, but to require it is ridiculous.  You'd have to trade in a considerable amount of games to get that amount.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, September 19, 2006, 01:47:49 PM »

I'd like to think that one day a console will release in ample numbers and teach all these companies a lesson

What lesson would that be?  That they make a hell of a lot more money when people actually have consoles for which to buy games, accesories, and warranties from them?

It's a brillant move on their part.  They make dick all on the actual hardware they're selling, and the markup on games isn't much better.  Warranties, services, and used products are how they turn a profit.  Yeah, it's kind of shitty if you really wanted to make that pre-order, but I can definitly see where they are coming from.     If you really want you can get your pre-order deposit for like $60-70 instead of $50.  ..otherwise you can try your luck at launch. 

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, September 19, 2006, 02:04:10 PM »
I think we are looking at this all wrong. We're going to be able to grab some cheap used games soon...woo!

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, September 20, 2006, 03:26:34 PM »
winner ^

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, September 20, 2006, 04:12:28 PM »
I think they give you like $8-10 for used games depending on the title anymore. It's such a bullshit deal. And then they turn around and sell it for like $2 under the cost a brand new copy of the same game.

New copy = $39.99
Used copy = $37.99

$3-5 below new price is my experience.  They can shove that up their asses.  i have never bought a used game since the prices went skyward from the traditional 50% of new.  It absolutely is the reason for this "test" gouge.  Fuck them, hard.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, September 20, 2006, 04:19:21 PM »
I traded in my Dreamcast + games long ago. That was perhaps the worst decision in my entire gaming career. I didn't really get much for it, and about a year later I reallly wanted my Dreamcast back. I'm still sad about that  :(

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, September 20, 2006, 05:14:51 PM »
Gamestop has been really dropping the ball the last couple of years, on my last two pre-orders I didn't get my pre order gift.  The first time it happened I was a little mad but no big deal.  The second time it happened with Xenosaga III, I was pretty fucking pissed and let them know(they got 20 preorders in the store and only got 5 preorder gifts total, WTF?).  After they didn't give me my last one they asked if I wanted to preorder Okami right after I told them I wasn't preordering from them anymore, how fucking stupid can you get? To top it all off they didn't even call me when the game had come in like they are supposed to with preorders. I don't have to preorder games, they rarely run out, but I only preorder to get a goodie and when I can't even get that, why give them my money?  I get a 10% discount on everything at work so I'll just be buying things there instead of hoping for a preorder gift.

On the topic of reselling games, I have only done it a couple of times.  My brothers and I sold our Jaguar that we found at a garage sale for $20 with a bunch of games, after we got bored with it, we sold it and the games for like $60 store credit.  The other time I did it was with a bunch of shitty PS1 games some jackass friend of my moms ex-boyfriend left over one time and wouldn't pick up.  I got about $20 for like 8 games.