Author Topic: primer  (Read 5345 times)

Offline beo

• Veteran
primer
« on: Sunday, April 29, 2007, 03:43:21 PM »
anyone seen this? it's a bit art-house and could be considered pretentious, but if you can get past that, it's absolutely fantastic. it drip feeds you tiny snippets of information and leaves you to work out what the hell is going on. i don't want to talk about the plot, because that would ruin the fun, but if you want a bit of a mental workout, give it a go. it's science fiction of the highest order and an utter headfuck.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: primer
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, April 29, 2007, 09:26:54 PM »
Sounds fun to me!  I'll have to check it out.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline shock

• Poster Child
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, November 14, 2009, 10:29:37 AM »
I'm bumping this because this is a great movie and I just watched it after reading the XKCD comic about it.

I definitely need to watch it again to get a better grasp of how the little things came together.. but a thought provoking film to say the least.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, November 14, 2009, 02:14:59 PM »
great movie. Everybody I've introduced it to has loved it and watched it multiple times.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, November 15, 2009, 07:11:57 PM »
Awesome movie, I've watched it a couple of times.  I wish it was longer though.

Offline Schlotzky5

« Reply #5 on: Thursday, November 19, 2009, 10:24:08 PM »
Ive wanted to watch this movie for several years now. I watched it tonight and I cant wait to watch it again.

I do have a question for somebody who has seen the movie before.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: Friday, November 20, 2009, 09:35:54 AM »
According to Wikipedia, Shane Carruth, who directs and plays Aaron.

Big
(click to show/hide)

Edit:  I wanted to post an answer before going into this, because it may take a bit of time to write.  And time is the issue.  Yes, time is real.  It's as real as beauty, or love.  It is absolutely necessary for human comprehension of the universe.  It is required by all the math we have developed to track the mechanics of the universe.  It is nearly impossible to describe events without including time, directly or indirectly.  However, (and here lies my rub) I think time is purely abstract, a concept developed by, and then needed by, the human mind to facilitate comprehension.  We can no more manipulate time than we can climb obsession.  We can record events and play them back, creating a facsimile of the past.  We can look very far at events which happened years ago with a telescope.  We can slow down some processes, creating the illusion that time passes faster for what those processes control.  None of this manipulates time itself.  It can't.  Watching this movie should at least make one think about the absurdity of time travel.  Do you really believe that you exist as a separate entity each instant of time?  So there have already been an infinite number of Schlotzkys.  A millisecond after you were born, that would have already been true, if the math is taken as a direct reflection of reality.

I'll leave it at that, because I don't want to spoil the film for those yet to watch it.  I took it as I take all works involving time travel: a fantasy, with no chance of ever becoming anything else.  But it is extremely interesting and mindbending nevertheless.

Offline Schlotzky5

« Reply #7 on: Saturday, November 21, 2009, 02:15:21 PM »
So I watched this movie a couple more times, pieced together a little more then did a lot of reading. I am still trying to sort it all out, but I really love this movie.

I dont necessarily agree with you with your view on time, but I am a believer that time to us is just a simplified version. We come up with ways to understand it because in the grand scheme of things, we just arent that smart.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, November 22, 2009, 09:40:05 AM »
What we don't know eclipses what we do know.  But still, some things smack me as being so unlikely that I have to reject them outright.  The mind-numbingly convoluted theory of relativity makes me think of it as our modern-day heavenly spheres, attributed to Ptolemy.  The heavenly-spheres theory explains the movements of the solar system, and does a good job of predicting what will be where at different times too.  It is a complicated model where each planet revolves around 2 different centers, with the result being a corkscrew path in the heavens.  Copernicus is credited with a huge paradigm shift, and presto: way simpler mechanics explain and predict the movements.  The sun is at the center of the whole thing, not the Earth.

Two theories, both practical.  Which one is right?  The simpler one, a perfect illustration of Occam's razor.  So what is more likely, that we live in a literal 4-dimensional (at least) space-time continuum, with time being a physically real thing that can cause quasi-magical anomalies, or that we live in a much simpler universe, where we lack the understanding of some fundamental thing (like the solar system's center) which would simplify our modeling of it immensely?  For now, relativity is practical.  Let's stick to it when dealing with celestial mechanics.  In the absence of Copernicus, Ptolemy will have to do.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, November 22, 2009, 10:28:39 AM »
Well said.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #10 on: Friday, December 04, 2009, 09:09:09 PM »
I must be the only person that didn't like this movie.  Don't get me wrong, I was gripped by it from beginning to end and it is definitely mind-bending, a thinkers movie.  Maybe I'm just not that deep a thinker?  I have no idea but I have no desire to see the movie again or learn anything more about it.  I do appreciate the approach used to make the movie and the fact they didn't try to dumb it down so that more people would understand what was going on.

Offline Schlotzky5

« Reply #11 on: Sunday, December 06, 2009, 10:11:09 AM »
You're not the only one. I told a bunch of my friends about it the weekend after I saw it and most of them who saw it go 'oh yeah, it was alright, I just didnt get it'. I tried to explain how part of the movie is that you're not supposed to get it, but it was no use. Its just not a movie for everyone.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, October 09, 2012, 01:58:13 PM »
So, I finally watched this.  People were all like "You have to pay attention or it will confuse the hell out of you".  I mean, people said that about Inception, but those people were kind of dumb. I got three quarters of the way through this and was all like "What the fuck is everyone talking about"  BAM! Confused as shit in the blink of an eye.

I was also told that the creator said that it's not as open ended as it comes off and there's an actual sequence of events that you CAN figure out. I watched the last twenty min or so again and here's what I have:

(click to show/hide)

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, October 09, 2012, 02:57:34 PM »
Man I watched this a long time ago... so I can't remember much and I started reading your synopsis gpw till I got to the middle of your second paragraph and I couldnt take much more.

All I remember of what I got out of it was that 2 guys invent a time machine, they go back to try and score some money, they fuck up some minor detail and they try to fix it only making things worse over and over again. Moral of the story... dont fuck with time.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, October 09, 2012, 11:12:57 PM »
See, fuck, why couldn't I just look at it that way and have saved myself the twenty minutes of rewatching and hour (plus) of thinking about it*? Damn it.

*This is a trick question. Obviously, the answer is because people said it was confusing and I took it as a challenge because I'm an idiot.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, October 10, 2012, 05:55:37 AM »
I watched the movie a couple of times and got no where close to gpw11's conclusion.  The movie just blew my mind.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, October 10, 2012, 01:23:33 PM »
Yeah, I really liked it as well. I tried to follow it, but lost it close to the end at which point I figured I got "it" enough to not bother understanding it completely (if that is even possible given how little information is given).

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, October 10, 2012, 06:42:06 PM »
Yeah, after reading the posts after mine here I figured I was probably crazy and looking into it too hard.  So, I started interneting.  Don't do that. I feel like a loser for spending an hour and a bit trying to figure it out...there are people who have been spending far, far longer, and everything just gets more confusing.

(click to show/hide)