Author Topic: The Last Remnant - Update: Leaving Steam on Sept 4 (NA/EU) & Sept. 5 (Japan)  (Read 10733 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Last Edit: Friday, August 24, 2018, 06:32:40 PM by MysterD »

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: The Last Remnant -- Square-Enix's next RPG on the Unreal 3 Engine
« Reply #1 on: Monday, May 07, 2007, 10:17:34 PM »
I hope it is non-linear.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: Monday, May 07, 2007, 10:25:00 PM »
Sounds pretty cool, can't wait to see some screenshots.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Monday, May 07, 2007, 10:25:56 PM »
You know what they should fucking make?  Xenogears II. 

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: Monday, May 07, 2007, 10:29:26 PM »
You know what they should fucking make?  Xenogears II. 

Xenogears got wrapped up pretty good in my opinion, if anything they should make a game or two that ties Xenosaga to Xenogears, like a Xenogears prequel, get to play one of Fei's previous incarnations or something of that sort, or maybe even play up to the point where the Eldridge flies off right at the end of the game with Deus aboard.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: Monday, May 07, 2007, 10:34:24 PM »
As far as I'm concerned being about 10 hours into Xenosaga ep 3 (easily the best in the series in every way), they're not connected at all.  I kind of like it that way. 

But when I say a Xenogears II, I mean less of a direct sequal to the plot is Xenogears and more of a game just made in the same 'universe' or whatnot.  I think there's certainly room for an epic story not involving Fei, Elly, or anyone else we know of in the game.  Wouldn't even be on the same planet. 

Xenosaga is cool, but it definitly doesn't have that 'spark' that Xenogears had, which is something I'd like to see.  Xenogears was a bit more traditional I guess, and that could be what makes it so endearing. 

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: Monday, May 07, 2007, 10:40:09 PM »
As far as I'm concerned being about 10 hours into Xenosaga ep 3 (easily the best in the series in every way), they're not connected at all.  I kind of like it that way. 

But when I say a Xenogears II, I mean less of a direct sequal to the plot is Xenogears and more of a game just made in the same 'universe' or whatnot.  I think there's certainly room for an epic story not involving Fei, Elly, or anyone else we know of in the game.  Wouldn't even be on the same planet. 

Xenosaga is cool, but it definitly doesn't have that 'spark' that Xenogears had, which is something I'd like to see.  Xenogears was a bit more traditional I guess, and that could be what makes it so endearing. 

Nah, they weren't meant to be connected, if anything they are "Xenogears in spirit" like the creator said.  That's cool to hear you're that far into Episode III, Episode III is the best in the series by far, I almost cried like a little baby at the end of the game, its just all kinds of dramatic.  That would be cool to have another sequel not involving Fei and the gang, but that will never happen.  Let me know when you finish Episode III, I'm interested to hear your impressions.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: Monday, May 07, 2007, 10:49:41 PM »
I wasn't expecting them to be fully connected, but honestly thought it was a reimagining kind of thing.  Mainly a reimagining of the events before the launch of the Elsa.

But yeah, I'll let you know. 

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, November 25, 2008, 09:10:30 PM »
6.5 from GameSpot

Basically, technical issues galore (clipping issues, long load times, texture pops, framerate drops galore, stuttering issue is here more so than any other UE3 game, etc etc) are sited as the issue here that destroys the experience.

Van Ord says that underneath the numerous technical issues, there's a RPG classic to be had.

That's a shame. Why the hell was this game released way too early in such a broken state? Especially on the console? You know, that's a shame -- they better patch the living snot out of the game.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: The Last Remnant -- Square-Enix RPG on the Unreal 3 Engine
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, November 25, 2008, 09:20:59 PM »
I'll wait and see if the PS3 gets a port that fixes this stuff.  If not, I'll probably never play it just because I hate my 360.  The game itself looks cool, though.  It seems unique.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, November 26, 2008, 12:22:48 AM »
I'll wait and see if the PS3 gets a port that fixes this stuff.  If not, I'll probably never play it just because I hate my 360.  The game itself looks cool, though.  It seems unique.

I believe it's announced for both PS3 and PC.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, November 26, 2008, 12:25:53 AM »
I'm pretty sure it's cross platform.  Too bad that the game is basically unpolished though.  Seemed like an interesting concept.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, November 27, 2008, 08:40:52 AM »
Ooooh @ this is coming to the PC. Hopefully, that version will be in a much better state, straight out the box.

But, really though -- they really need to fix that X360 version first for those gamers who spent their hard-earned cash on Beta-in-a-box.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, November 27, 2008, 09:58:21 AM »
I've checked around and seen no indication anywhere that this is coming to PC or PS3, but I didn't look very hard.  But if it was announced, there aren't any gamespaces for it on GSpot or anywhere that I've looked.  Still, I'll hope for it.  The game looks cool enough that I wouldn't mind hoping for a less-buggy version to pick up.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: Thursday, November 27, 2008, 01:06:52 PM »
I originally saw it on wikipedia.com, but also found this.   I don't know - I wouldn't be suprised if it got canned for the PC, but they do have the PS3 logo on the official site.

Offline wizall

« Reply #16 on: Thursday, November 27, 2008, 03:57:46 PM »
Did anyone see this?  It's an article about the five things Square-Enix needs to do to jump-start the JRPG genre.  There are some interesting suggestions, I think.

Fixing Square
« Last Edit: Thursday, November 27, 2008, 04:26:08 PM by wizall »

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #17 on: Thursday, November 27, 2008, 04:10:55 PM »

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #18 on: Thursday, November 27, 2008, 04:11:46 PM »
Also, I am sure when the next FF game hits, it will sell a gazillion copies.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: Thursday, November 27, 2008, 05:22:06 PM »
The real question here is if Hillary Goldstein is a guy with a funny name or a really homely girl:

Answer:

(click to show/hide)

Offline wizall

« Reply #20 on: Thursday, November 27, 2008, 05:31:29 PM »
I believe that's Janet Reno's retarded nephew. 

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #21 on: Thursday, November 27, 2008, 07:19:11 PM »
Who care if Hillary is a dude, chick, or what-have-you. All I know is I agree w/ basically just about everything he said about what Square-Enix needs to fix themselves.

They need to keep up with the rest of the RPG gaming world. It's not like they ain't capable of it, either. They were once one of the leaders in the console RPG.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #22 on: Thursday, November 27, 2008, 10:32:32 PM »
All they need to do for me is make Final Fantasy XII - 2.  I loved that game so much, even though I didn't quite finish.  I just wanted so badly to do it all, and on my big TV the game looks like ass.  I'm really tempted to just start the game over from scratch if I can get it going on an emu.  In high res it's just... so fucking amazing looking.  Unbelievable.  It's basically up to a 360 or PS3 standard, or at least really close, even being a PS2 game, and with the amount of artistry that went into it, it's just so hard to top.

Uh... but yeah, those poor folks have messed up some stuff and had a pretty serious run of bad luck.  I don't care what Goldstein thinks and I've got other stuff to do beyond reading tonight, but he's probably right simply because Squeenix's problems are, I would think, rather obvious.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: Thursday, November 27, 2008, 11:32:38 PM »
Who care if Hillary is a dude, chick, or what-have-you. All I know is I agree w/ basically just about everything he said about what Square-Enix needs to fix themselves.

They need to keep up with the rest of the RPG gaming world. It's not like they ain't capable of it, either. They were once one of the leaders in the console RPG.

I kind of thought the whole article was kind of dumb.  "Hey you know what would make Spyro the Dragon better?  If it was Mario." 

The first point he makes is very valid.  The second one is retarded.  I haven't seen the new games from Square, but I can't see the animation being any worse than that of Fallout 3.  The third point is also kind of retarded.

Let's face it, most Japanese-developed RPGs still use the same design philosophy that worked 20 years ago. Just about every Square-Enix RPG has towns you walk around in, with dozens of people you speak with for no reason. There are poorly conceived fetch quests and uninspired city designs

It's not that he's wrong here, it's just that he pretty much defined every RPG ever, including the ones he goes on to praise.   I mean, he does have a point, but pretty much no one does that.  Mass Effect?  Ha.  Fallout 3, yes to an extent.  Fable?  fucking lies. Fable had you and 10,0000 of he same NPC.  Oh and a few towns that all looked exactly the same.

The other points are probably solid.

It's not that I think he's wrong in that Square games are stale...but they generally always were.  Japanese RPGs are a very narrow spectrum genre and people who love them generally love them the way they are. They release two apparently average games for the next gen systems and all of a sudden they're in trouble?  I'm pretty sure the first games they pump out for any console have always sucked.  Eventually they'll release the shit they've actually been spending time and/or money on and all the people that love Japanese RPGs will cream their pants.  As evidence I'd like to point to the fact that people still shell out cash for the third system versions of 15 year old Square games.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #24 on: Saturday, November 29, 2008, 08:01:39 PM »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #25 on: Sunday, November 30, 2008, 12:12:40 AM »
Yay, let's make DLC for our broken game!

I wonder if they'll do any patching.  Maybe that's the future of DLC... buy a patch so your game will work.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #26 on: Sunday, November 30, 2008, 06:38:24 AM »
Yay, let's make DLC for our broken game!

I wonder if they'll do any patching.
They need to do that first, before doing DLC. I mean -- what good will DLC be if it don't fix any of the crazy amount of issues this game supposedly has?  :o

Maybe that's the future of DLC... buy a patch so your game will work.
Geez, I sure hope not...

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: The Last Remnant -- Update: PC Version announced for Spring 2009
« Reply #28 on: Monday, December 15, 2008, 09:04:06 PM »
I hear this has no random battles, so I'm actually interested in hearing more. I get the impression that the reviews skewed poor due to bugs and such, so if those get fixed for PC it could be cool.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #29 on: Monday, December 15, 2008, 09:37:08 PM »
The consensus is that the bugs suck, but the game itself is actually really good.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday, December 16, 2008, 03:12:10 PM »
Let's hope the PC version turns out quite fixed and all.
Oh, and that they fix the 360 version, too -- since they already dropped some coin on this one and doesn't deserve to fend with a broken/buggy product.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #31 on: Thursday, January 29, 2009, 02:54:12 PM »
Last Remnant PC planned for April 9th in Japan

Last Remnant For PC Dated, Detailed In Japan
New features to include bilingual voice and battle speed-up function.
By Nick Des Barres, 01/28/2009

The latest issue of Famitsu reveals the first concrete details for the PC version of The Last Remnant, to be released in Japan on April 9 for 8,190 Yen ($90 US).

The PC edition of Square Enix's fantasy "RPG for the world" promises to sport enhanced graphics, dependent on how hardcore your rig is -- let's hope that nasty texture pop-in gets tackled -- as well as several new, exclusive features.

Most significant among them are the ability to speed up the game's lengthy battle animations, and the removal of restrictions on leader units -- you'll be able to place as many leader-class characters in your union as you like, which should make the PC version much easier. Other new features will include a visual preview for equipment in menus, as well as bilingual English/Japanese voice tracks.

Square Enix will release a Last Remnant benchmark app on January 30 (in Japan), followed by a demo some time before launch.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: The Last Remnant -- Update: PC Version to be distributed on Steam on April 9, 09
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday, February 24, 2009, 02:47:54 PM »
Don't know yet.
Good question.
I'm wondering the same thing myself.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: The Last Remnant -- Update: PC Version to be distributed on Steam on April 9, 09
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday, February 24, 2009, 03:13:23 PM »
None of the press releases say exclusive. If it was, you'd think they'd brag about it. Plus the retail version comes out before the Steam release by several days, so it may not require it.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday, February 24, 2009, 03:31:44 PM »
None of the press releases say exclusive. If it was, you'd think they'd brag about it.
Well, Relic didn't brag about it for DoW2 -- and we pretty much found out at the last minute (like say a few weeks ahead of time) that Steam was going to be required for all versions of the game.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday, February 24, 2009, 04:44:15 PM »
Yeah, good point.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday, February 25, 2009, 02:36:38 PM »
And also, it looks like from what X was saying, FEAR 2 requires Steam, too.

EDIT:
Back to the topic at hand...

Last Remnant PC DEMO released

It's around ONE GB, give or take.

« Last Edit: Wednesday, February 25, 2009, 03:22:19 PM by MysterD »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: The Last Remnant -- Update: DEMO Released; PC game coming to Steam soon
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday, February 25, 2009, 04:53:46 PM »
Odd.. I get this message:
The file you requested is no longer available, most likely because it has been outdated by a newer release of this file. Alternatively, we could have been asked to remove this file by its author. Or perhaps you shouldn't be here (yet) :-)