Author Topic: The Secret World / Secret World Legends - Update: This is going F2P.  (Read 7840 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Last Edit: Monday, January 10, 2011, 05:25:50 PM by MysterD »

Offline PyroMenace

Re: The Secret World -- MMO from Funcom; makers of TLJ + Anarchy Online
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, September 29, 2009, 04:33:15 PM »
Trying again with another MMO? Its like they are slitting their wrists.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, September 29, 2009, 04:48:44 PM »
It's not new, it's been in the works.  But I agree, it was a stupid move, and only gets more stupid as time goes on.  It should be canceled and they should work on another standard TLJ game.  Even if the MMO ever saw the light of day I'm pretty sure we can all agree it would be a complete failure.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, September 29, 2009, 05:28:54 PM »
They need to finish Dreamfall!! That game ended with a cliffhanger! The apparent intention was to set up the third game in The Longest Journey series.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, September 29, 2009, 08:02:48 PM »
No, the intention was to set up the episodic TLJ stuff which is apparently nonexistent since they haven't spoken a word about it in ages, and they started talking about doing a TLJ MMO for a while which I don't think anything ever happened with, and then who knows what they finally decided.  Either way, they seem to have made a lot of stupid decisions.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, December 20, 2009, 11:26:14 AM »
I have a feeling this game won't do well.  They should just go back to finishing the damn TLJ/Dreamfall chapters and storyline.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: The Secret World -- New MMO Announced by Funcom; makers of TLJ + Anarchy Online
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, December 20, 2009, 11:46:49 AM »
One of my good friends was part of that 20%  :(

That sucks!
Hope your friend got another job somewhere - especially during this crummy recession.

EDIT:
I have a feeling this game won't do well.  They should just go back to finishing the damn TLJ/Dreamfall chapters and storyline.
I like the whole Illuminati, Templars, and secret society thing this The Secret World has going on - but do we really need another MMO on the market?

This probably would've been fine if it was like say Borderlands - Camapign could be done as SP or MP; up to the gamer.

But, yes - finish up the TLJ stuff, Funcom!!! Too many damn cliffhangers by the end!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: The Secret World MMO - Update: EA Partners to co-publish this with Funcom
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, June 23, 2012, 06:51:10 AM »
EA sent me a Beta key last weekend and I missed out on last weekend's Beta.

Though, anyone who had a Beta key could use it for this weekend!
So, yeah - I got in for this weekend w/ that key!
There's NO NDA - so, if anyone's curious about it, ask me. :D

BTW - worth noting, the game takes up around 30 GB.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: The Secret World (MMO) - Update: BETA Weekend in progress
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, June 23, 2012, 08:48:00 AM »
I'm in too! I'm in Dimension 1 server, nickname is Onikaze.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, June 23, 2012, 11:47:51 AM »
I'm in too! I'm in Dimension 1 server, nickname is Onikaze.

"MysterD" for a nickname for my character (Derick Watch). :D
My account name is MysterD77, if you need that to add me.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #14 on: Sunday, June 24, 2012, 07:42:43 AM »
@Xessive

So, what are your thoughts on The Secret World so far?

I am playing as an Illuminati character. I'm trying to keep a focus on Shotguns and other guns here.

I really do like the actual writing and dialogue, more so than anything else in the game - this really stands out. It makes me really want another well-written The Longest Journey sequel, more so than anything! The Secret World is surely much better w/ that stuff than Guild Wars 2 Beta had going on, in that regard.

Other than that, it feels like most quests involve find X items, kill X guys, set X guys on fire, find X locations. It seems like typical ARPG and MMO questing. I think I prefer the way Guild Wars 2 did questing - especially when it comes to instances and decision-making on personal quests. The combat controls - seems odd that left-click don't do a basic attack and that I can't attach a Basic Attack to that; I have to hit Hotkey [I set it as Middle Mouse and Right Control] to do a basic attack. Got used to it, though.

One thing I've really loved about Beta Testing MMO's like GW2 and TSW - these MMO's got so many options for customization! UI and GUI's; resizing windows for Inventory, Maps, etc; showing nametags or not on characters, NPC's, enemies; etc etc. I know that's probably b/c MMO's are so PC-focused [and not multi-platformed], but I really wish ALL PC games were designed like that w/ such customization in EVERYTHING.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #15 on: Sunday, June 24, 2012, 11:12:43 AM »
It's certainly an interesting angle but they haven't really stirred up the typical MMO formula. They played it safe in that respect.

It's a good looking game with a stronger appeal to story but it doesn't deviate from the traditional MMO gameplay we've seen. The skills systems are little more complex (not complicated) and give you some room to combine classes and essentially create your own i.e. combining melee with ranged or melee with magic.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #16 on: Sunday, June 24, 2012, 12:36:12 PM »
@Xessive

Yeah, I got TSW here running on Ultra here and it runs above 30 frames consistently. Sometimes, it dips below to around 25 frames, but it's no big deal. Surely, the game's look, design, and atmosphere looks pretty good. Nice to see a game ALSO supporting DX11 for those who have PC's to support that, as well.

I just wish the questing was more than just collect-a-thon's, find-a-thon's, or kill-a-thon's - especially w/ given how well-written and well-acted this game is.

I am in Kingsmouth - which is basically a ZOMBIE infested town and area. Probably doesn't help that not too long ago, I finished Dead Island: Ryder White DLC...

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #17 on: Monday, June 25, 2012, 01:54:39 AM »
Yeah, that's what bugs me. A lot of repetition, which seems to be the modus operandi of all MMO games.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #18 on: Monday, June 25, 2012, 02:44:41 PM »
Yeah, that's what bugs me. A lot of repetition, which seems to be the modus operandi of all MMO games.

Exactly.

At least w/ Guild Wars 2, the personal quests [instances] break up the MMO-stuff w/ some quests that involve some decision-making, here and there...

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: The Secret World (MMO)
« Reply #19 on: Monday, July 09, 2012, 04:00:24 PM »
The Secret World (MMO) -- REVIEWS

Scored out of 10
PCPowerPlay -> 9
GamesTM -> 8.

Scored out of 5
CCC -> 4.2
GameRevolution -> 2.5
QuarterToThree -> 2.

Scored out of 100
TenTonHammer -> 84

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Last Edit: Monday, July 30, 2012, 06:41:33 PM by MysterD »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: The Secret World (MMO) -> Update: Only 200,000 copies sold [8/28/2012]
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday, August 28, 2012, 05:46:42 PM »
Huh. Looking at some of the reviews and screens, the game looks and sounds really cool. That's unexpected.

I might even be tempted to give it a run for a little bit just to see some of it. It sounds right up my alley, thematically speaking.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday, August 28, 2012, 06:14:36 PM »
Huh. Looking at some of the reviews and screens, the game looks and sounds really cool. That's unexpected.

I might even be tempted to give it a run for a little bit just to see some of it. It sounds right up my alley, thematically speaking.
I had a feeling during the TSW Beta - but, I'm gonna bet this game would be best just going F2P. I wouldn't be surprised if this game does go F2P soon, given Funcom's situation right now. Seems like Funcom really needs to do something, given the amount of financial trouble, lay-offs, and other problems that are seeming to unfortunately hit them.

It's a shame that when I played the TSW Beta, the game starts off so intriguing and interesting - i.e. w/ how they try to get you get info on Secret Societies, how you find yours, how they initiate you, and all of that stuff. That stuff was awesome. I joined The Illuminati, in the Beta.

It's once you get out of there and into Kingsmouth (into a zombie apocalypse), the questing and combat just felt so damn "meh" and "bleh"'. It's also, as if the game really didn't need so much combat focus. The game might've been alright, if the game just did combat here and there - like say Planescape: Torment did. It's either that or overhaul the hell out of the combat to make it enjoyable to play a game that's so combat-heavy.
The storytelling, dialogue, writing, voice-acting was on another whole level and was great, from the 10 hours I spent w/ the TSW Beta.

I'd definitely give this more time, if it ever hits F2P. I'd like to see if there's anything way more worthwhile after Kingsmouth. Kingsmouth really didn't leave a good taste in my mouth.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday, August 28, 2012, 08:53:33 PM »
From what I remember, it was ok but aside from the theme it didn't set itself apart from other MMORPGs.

I liked how they made it main story bits fully voiced cinematics.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday, August 28, 2012, 09:13:36 PM »
Funny, most of the reviews and comments I read said it was too different from most MMOs to succeed since few people would make the leap.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday, August 28, 2012, 10:28:08 PM »
Funny, most of the reviews and comments I read said it was too different from most MMOs to succeed since few people would make the leap.
Really? That's true but only as far as the theme goes. All other game mechanics are essentially the same.

Skills are set up differently but it's still the same system of unlocking by skill points. Although it is similar to Guild Wars 2 in that the skills are weapon-based. The difference is that in GW2 you unlock weapon skills by using the weapon but in TSW you can spend a point to unlock a skill for a weapon that you aren't even using.

Between TSW and Star Wars The Old Republic I'd be inclined to put them in the same calibre: quality production, not much innovation in gameplay. Lotta grinding to be expected.

Based on my experience with the beta, TSW is a good looking game, it's not overly complicated, but it got monotonous fairly quickly. Like most MMO what will really make the difference is the community you play with. The people you play with will be the defining factor in how much you enjoy the game and how long you'll be playing it.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #27 on: Monday, September 17, 2012, 04:31:08 PM »
PCGamer -> Funcom says they have the tools to go Free-2-Play, if necessary.

Newly christened Funcom CEO Ole Schreiner recently spoke with GamesIndustry.biz regarding the fickle world of MMO development and the future of conspiracy-fest The Secret World. He said the studio “definitely has the tools” to install a free-to-play system into The Secret World if needed, but didn’t confirm any solid plans to do so.

“We tried leaving our options open during development so that we could launch with a different model should we have decided during development that’s what we wanted, but eventually we did settle on the subscription model and that’s what informed much of the game’s design,” Schreiner said. “That said, we definitely have the tools to turn The Secret World into a free-to-play game — or even hybrid — should we decide to do that somewhere down the line.”

As part of the dwindling camp of subscription-based MMOs, The Secret World still receives content updates and regular patches despite Funcom’s layoff struggles earlier this month. Schreiner also recognized the competitive challenge free-to-play presents to subscription models, saying:

“I do think that as free-to-play offerings keep raising the bar in terms of quality and longevity, it’s becoming more and more difficult for subscription games to live up to player’s expectations. If you’re demanding a monthly fee from someone, they obviously expect more value than they get from a similar free-to-play offering. There is no way getting around the fact that a growing number of gamers expect MMOs to be free-to-play, or at least buy-to-play (such as Guild Wars 2), so is building a successful subscription-based MMO becomes more challenging.”

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: The Secret World (MMO) -> Funcom says they have tools to go F2P, if necessary
« Reply #28 on: Monday, September 17, 2012, 05:37:23 PM »
haha..."if".

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: The Secret World (MMO) -> Funcom says they have tools to go F2P, if necessary
« Reply #29 on: Monday, September 17, 2012, 05:40:50 PM »
haha..."if".

Yeah, I think it's a matter of "when"....

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday, September 18, 2012, 04:11:31 AM »
If TSW had a strong following and base to work from I wouldn't worry about it having a subscription model. As it stands TSW's survival altogether is at stake. It's contending with Guild Wars 2 (no subscription), SW The Old Republic (soon to be without subscription), and WoW still lingering with Mysts of Pandaria. The only thing really setting it apart is its theme.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: The Secret World (MMO) -> Subscription fee dropped; buy the game to play it .
« Reply #32 on: Thursday, December 13, 2012, 05:25:11 AM »
Just spotted that. Unfortunately, since the game is being published by EA the currency problem is still there. The game's current actual is $30 USD, but in Europe they're selling it for 30 Euros and in the UK it's going for 25 Pounds; absolutely ludicrous pricing.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: The Secret World (MMO) -> Subscription fee dropped; buy the game to play it .
« Reply #33 on: Thursday, December 13, 2012, 07:25:44 PM »
Just spotted that. Unfortunately, since the game is being published by EA the currency problem is still there. The game's current actual is $30 USD, but in Europe they're selling it for 30 Euros and in the UK it's going for 25 Pounds; absolutely ludicrous pricing.

Recently, GreenMan had TSW for $5.25 USD (before the announcement of going subscription-less)...
...Unfortunately, that deal's DEAD.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: The Secret World (MMO) -> Funcom's in financial trouble...
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 02:54:12 PM »
The Secret World is going F2P as Secret World Legends.

Info from SWL's FAQ.
-- Redesigned combat system
-- Enhanced visuals
-- All content will be free: past, present, and future.
-- New system called Aurum, where players can buy in-games weapons, items, Inventory space, characters & other services (i.e. micro-transactions).
-- Each account gets ONE character slot. You want more, you'll have to buy it.
-- You can buy Aurum from other players for in-game currency.
-- At launch, SWL will only be on Steam; Non-Steam versions will come later.
-- You will be starting over completely as a new character with SWL, if you decide to play the new SWL version.
-- Old TSW version on Steam will be gone from Steam, once SWL actually launches.
-- If you want to play Old TSW version, you can register it on your account + download the Old TSW version via Funcom.
-- Your Old TSW saves + characters will still exist on their servers after SWL launches, so you can still play Old TSW over there if you still want to.
-- TSW owners + Grand Masters will get benefits with the Patron System
-- If players want, they can roll over their Funcom Points right over into the Aurum System.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god