Author Topic: The Official BioShock thread.  (Read 109969 times)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: First Bioshock Footage
« Reply #40 on: Saturday, August 11, 2007, 11:49:57 AM »
I'm so going to post that at the fan site just to see what happens.

EDIT - Neat interview with the people who made the Big Daddy statues that some game stores are getting.
« Last Edit: Saturday, August 11, 2007, 01:49:40 PM by Quemaqua »

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #41 on: Saturday, August 11, 2007, 04:22:30 PM »
All this Bioshock talk, got me going back to play System Shock 2 earlier this afternoon -- which I barely started.

All I can say really about SS2 -- Whoa, WAY THE HELL ahead of its own time, in terms of gameplay. Yeah, it rocks. No way around that one. And the Inventory system is so well designed and easy to use, too. I'm sorry, but this game STILL holds up today -- especially in terms of gameplay. My God -- this game's ahead of most FPS's in the gameplay department that have come out in the past God knows how many years.

We're really just seeing the mainstream jump-start of the FPS/RPG hybrid genre these past few years, with games like Deus Ex series, STALKER and now Bioshock hopping onto the market (STALKER and Bioshock in the same year -- hell yeah!!!). Plus, we'll get more STALKER next year, w/ the STALKER Prequel (STALKER: Clear Sky).

If Bioshock is System Shock 2 in the gameplay department -- and it looks like it'll be more than that, given the level of interactivity we saw in the Bioshock vid -- we might have this year the arrival of one of the best games ever made. I dunno, but Bioshock's atmosphere looks like Atlantis in the 50's gone wrong -- and it looks freakin' awesome. The graphics and art design just look incredible.

Quote from: 1Up
Best first person shooter ever, really? -- No, not the best first-person shooter ever. -- In terms of the way the story unfolds? -- Yeah.  --  Better than Half-life or Half-life 2? -- Yes, absolutely. This is the imagination that has gone into this... this crazy, I'm gonna' be an industrialist and build this Utopian society, and then this examination of what happened inside. ... These guys really thought out the answer to why this utopia failed.
I dunno, but I have a funny feeling Bioshock and STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl are going to be fighting for FPS Of The Year, for me. There really was something about STALKER's atmosphere and gameworld, in Russia/Chernobyl area -- and just how open that world was, to explore and all. STALKER was definitely one of those games, once I began, I couldn't put it the hell down. I dunno if I've played a better shooter in recent years than STALKER.

Though, I do think Crysis will be great and all, but I don't think it will top the other two (Bioshock and STALKER), for me. We'll see, though...

About Best Shooters Ever, I dunno -- Max Payne 2, STALKER: Shadow, Deus Ex, F.EA.R., HL, HL2, and Quake 2 are some of the best Shooters I've ever played period. The way things look, Bioshock might join that list for me -- it definitely has a very good chance at it, to say the least, given what we do know and have seen of the game already. I've been pumped for this one for a while -- and well, I'm even more pumped for it, now that's it's finally almost here and after seeing that awesome E3 Show Stage Demo.

I can't wait for August 21st. It can't be here soon enough for me.

I'm going back to System Shock 2, now.

Offline Jedi

• Poster Child
« Reply #42 on: Saturday, August 11, 2007, 04:25:00 PM »
MyD, don't you dare respond to each quote, or I will strangle you with your own fucking intestines.

Haha Best line of the week. I'll have to get this for the 360, if I'm not too busy playing WoW again.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #43 on: Saturday, August 11, 2007, 08:30:06 PM »
Haha Best line of the week.
Hey, I always expect violent, merciless punchlines and soul-stealing ramblings from Que directed towards MysterD. :P

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #44 on: Sunday, August 12, 2007, 12:21:15 AM »

Offline JacksRag(e)

« Reply #45 on: Sunday, August 12, 2007, 04:25:16 AM »
Looks like it's gonna be a little more than a week before we'll be getting our hands on it.  I rechecked the system requirements.  Adjusted a few things and I should be good to go.  I think.
But damn it all, I'm gonna need a new video card soon.  What with this, Assassin's Creed and Crysis coming out soon-ish.  I don't know if my card's gonna cut it.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #46 on: Sunday, August 12, 2007, 06:46:47 AM »
At least I also provide the funny.

Hehe, that's great, Que!!!

I could imagine how awesome Big Daddy's Fatality might be....

Though, for his Babality, does he turn his opponent into Little Sister??? :oP

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #47 on: Sunday, August 12, 2007, 10:10:36 AM »
Hey, doesn't Big Daddy look very different in the close-to-finished BioShock?

Original concept:

In-game:

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #48 on: Sunday, August 12, 2007, 10:20:12 AM »
Are there different looking Big Daddies throughout the game?

I like both looks for the Big Daddies, myself.

I wouldn't wanna mess w/ them...

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #49 on: Sunday, August 12, 2007, 10:31:13 AM »
I can't wait to dive into this.

It's running on Unreal 3 engine right?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #50 on: Sunday, August 12, 2007, 10:41:57 AM »
From Wikipedia:

Known at first as the Vengeance engine 2, this was an enhanced version of the Vengeance engine, based on the Unreal Engine 2.5. As this engine was developed for the game Bioshock, the engine has become known as the "BioShock engine". Later, the BioShock engine was changed to use the Unreal Engine 3.0. but BioShock does not use all of Unreal Engine 3.0's features. As it only upgraded the Unreal Engine 3.0's Unreal Core System, file system framework and UnrealEd Toolsets.[2].

I didn't even know that.  I thought it was still their own thing.

Also, there are several different big daddy designs, and they're all outfitted differently in terms of weapons loadout, etc.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #51 on: Sunday, August 12, 2007, 10:47:08 AM »
Damn, I checked the system requirements for this game and I don't want to barely be able to run it, I would at least like to run it on medium, medium-high settings. I was going to get this for PC, but its going to have to wait until I upgrade my system(mainly my video card and processor).  I'm hoping to do that in the next few months though.  Maybe the price will have dropped some by then.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #52 on: Sunday, August 12, 2007, 10:56:27 AM »
From Wikipedia:

I didn't even know that.  I thought it was still their own thing.

Also, there are several different big daddy designs, and they're all outfitted differently in terms of weapons loadout, etc.
Heh, now that I think about it the Big Daddies walk kind of like the T:V heavies.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #53 on: Sunday, August 12, 2007, 02:12:51 PM »
Regardless of the very interesting history of Bioshock's Engines and all...

...I just really don't care if it's running on Unreal 2.5, Unreal 3.0, BioShock Engine, Doom 3 Engine, or whatever -- whatever Engine it was running on at The E3 Stage Demo, it looks great -- and I just want this game NOW!!!

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #54 on: Monday, August 13, 2007, 08:53:22 AM »
Bioshock is just another fucking PC FPS. At least according to one potential publisher:

"Ken (Levine) spent years pitching the game to publishers but no one was interested, incredible as that seems now. I joined Irrational in December 2004 and my first job was to get a publishing deal for the game (I worked as the Business Development Director for the first six months). I remember pitching the game to one publisher who later told a friend of mine that it was 'just another fucking PC FPS that's going to sell 250,000 units.'

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #55 on: Monday, August 13, 2007, 06:17:24 PM »
Boy, that publisher will probably be kicking themselves in the ass, given the reviews this game is getting so far and given that X360 gamers are so up for downloading this thing.

I smell that this could just be Irrational's (2K Boston/2K Austraila's) year....

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #56 on: Monday, August 13, 2007, 06:57:19 PM »
That's an awesome story.  I love stuff like this.  Been listening to a bunch of podcasts with fun stories as well.  Check out the Next-Gen podcast that had Ken on.  He's really an entertaining guy.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: The Official BioShock thread.
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday, August 14, 2007, 12:04:56 AM »
So it looks like the PC limited edition, which was only available at EB/GS stores, has now sold out.  If you look on the sites there aren't listings for them any longer, though you can still nab the 360 LE.  I hope all you guys got your preorders in already (and I'm sure as hell glad that I got mine done a week or so ago).

EDIT - Also, there was just a great, classic moment on the fan boards.  Somebody made a thread about how Irrational must be racist because there aren't any black people in the game, to which he was immediately hit (and rightfully) with a bunch of replies like: "What, are you stupid?  The game takes place before the bulk of civil rights victories in the mid to late sixties to begin with, and Rapture was created by a Utopian idealist in the nineteen forties.  You see where your logic fails, right?"

Offline JacksRag(e)

« Reply #58 on: Tuesday, August 14, 2007, 01:12:49 AM »
Having played the demo through a few times, I'm gonna go and pay my preorder out in full.  Just so I don't have to wait for my card to dial up and waste any more time I could be spending on it.

I'll have a beautiful day to play through it before school.  Buh.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday, August 14, 2007, 07:50:32 AM »
So it looks like the PC limited edition, which was only available at EB/GS stores, has now sold out.  If you look on the sites there aren't listings for them any longer, though you can still nab the 360 LE.  I hope all you guys got your preorders in already (and I'm sure as hell glad that I got mine done a week or so ago).
I pre-ordered the regular version.  I have no interest in a figurine or a making-of DVD.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday, August 14, 2007, 08:37:59 AM »
I didn't realize this game was coming out next week.

I might go preorder it.  I haven't decided whether to get the 360 version or the PC Version.

I meet the 'recommended' system requirements, but I obviously don't have DX10 or Vista on my main desktop, but the appeal of the KB/Mouse is pretty strong.

On the other hand, I can play it on the 360, with a little different controls, at 1080i on a 62" TV.

Decisions decisions.

Edit: I'm starting to lean towards t he 360 version because the PC version recommends a 7900GT.  I have a 7900GTX, but I doubt I can play it at 1680x1050 with high detail.  It's possible, but I'm not 100% sure.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, August 14, 2007, 10:23:48 AM by iPPi »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday, August 14, 2007, 01:41:07 PM »
I'm undecided on the Collector's or Reg Ed for the PC.

Anyone else is selling the Collector's Ed for the PC?

I dont' see Amazon got it listed.
Yuh, GS and EB ain't got it listed.
Neither does GoGamer.

EDIT - Also, there was just a great, classic moment on the fan boards.  Somebody made a thread about how Irrational must be racist because there aren't any black people in the game, to which he was immediately hit (and rightfully) with a bunch of replies like: "What, are you stupid?  The game takes place before the bulk of civil rights victories in the mid to late sixties to begin with, and Rapture was created by a Utopian idealist in the nineteen forties.  You see where your logic fails, right?"
Oh boy.....

Offline JacksRag(e)

« Reply #62 on: Tuesday, August 14, 2007, 01:56:39 PM »
Far as I know, the LE edition for PC is a GS exclusive?  And looks like they're completely gone now, so you may have to search Amazon or somewhere to see if someone is selling it.
Just paid off the remainder of my preorder an hour ago.  Can't wait till next week to get this.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #63 on: Tuesday, August 14, 2007, 06:02:44 PM »
Jeezus MyD, you didn't even *read* what you quoted.  I said *right there* that the PC LE was only available at EB/GS stores and that it was sold out.  Your only hope now is inflated prices on ebay.

Offline JacksRag(e)

« Reply #64 on: Tuesday, August 14, 2007, 10:45:16 PM »
I'm sad.  Apparently, some Toys 'R Us-es (?) are already selling their copies of Bioshock.  Highly illegal and highly expensive for them when they get caught...but still, buh.  If I didn't have my PC LE version paid out in full, I'd be trying to get it.  Ah well, here's hoping that the fact that some stores broke street date makes 2K push the street date forward. 
I doubt that'll happen.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #65 on: Tuesday, August 14, 2007, 10:49:39 PM »
Future Shop isn't doing preorders, I'm hoping to get down there on Tuesday and hope they have a copy of the LE.

I'm leaning towards the 360 version as well.

Offline JacksRag(e)

« Reply #66 on: Tuesday, August 14, 2007, 10:59:28 PM »
Argh, apparently, Gamestop will start receiving their Bioshock shipments either tomorrow or the day after.  So, if you're chummy with the local Gamestops, you can try wringing it out of their hands if you've preordered in full already.

Looks like I'm gonna go down to Toys R US tomorrow and see if I can snag a copy anyway.  Add that to the 20% off Madden 08 and 50% off any other video game, I should theoretically get Bioshock for 30 bucks.  Let's hope they still sell it.  Hmm.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, August 14, 2007, 11:38:43 PM by JacksRag(e) »

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #67 on: Wednesday, August 15, 2007, 04:55:24 AM »
I'm surprised at the number of people choosing the 360 version.  To me this game screams "PC game" through and through.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #68 on: Wednesday, August 15, 2007, 05:38:52 AM »
I was so close to buying a 360 a couple of weeks ago. It's going for $500 USD here. I held the box in my hands for a moment, then I just put it back. I'd just rather spend the money on building a new PC.

Bioshock is one game I'd definitely prefer to play on a PC.. Mouse + Keyboard all the way.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #69 on: Wednesday, August 15, 2007, 05:52:18 AM »
It's definitely more of a PC game, but the FPS phenomena has stretched well into console territory of late.  You even have people now who say they prefer using a controller for them (though these people are rare, and also stupid).

Yeah, I followed the whole early release debacle.  My guess is that you won't be able to get the game early anywhere other than Toys R Us, who will end up paying out the ass for breaking the street date.  Your other stores will most likely be playing by the rules.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #70 on: Wednesday, August 15, 2007, 07:30:49 AM »
I'm surprised at the number of people choosing the 360 version.  To me this game screams "PC game" through and through.

Well, I want to be able to play the game in the best possible environment.  My PC has been having trouble booting up lately, I think it's the power supply but I haven't had time to investigate it, and after it does power up, it seems to be OK.  And the second thing is the fact that I'm unsure of how well the game will run on a 7900GTX.  I mean, it should run well, but I question whether or not it will run good at 1680x1050 with high detail settings.

On the 360, I don't have to worry about system requirements, but I do have to get used to the controls and stuff.  But I mean I got an HDTV too, so it's bound to look amazing.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #71 on: Wednesday, August 15, 2007, 10:39:48 AM »
Yeah, you're not a graphics whore or anything.

GameInformer review:
http://gameinformer.com/Games/Review/200709/R07.0814.1203.13551.htm

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #72 on: Wednesday, August 15, 2007, 11:09:03 AM »
Well, I want to be able to play the game in the best possible environment.  My PC has been having trouble booting up lately, I think it's the power supply but I haven't had time to investigate it, and after it does power up, it seems to be OK.  And the second thing is the fact that I'm unsure of how well the game will run on a 7900GTX.  I mean, it should run well, but I question whether or not it will run good at 1680x1050 with high detail settings.

On the 360, I don't have to worry about system requirements, but I do have to get used to the controls and stuff.  But I mean I got an HDTV too, so it's bound to look amazing.

Isn't this why PC gaming is going to hell, really?  You can't depend on your PC to run anything right 3 months after you spend a fortune on it.  There was a time when only PCs could do the graphics right, a relatively short one, between the SNES and the PS2.  Not anymore.

So, are all TRUs selling the game right now?  That would make a car trip to the other side of town worthwhile, if they haven't sold out.  Weird, isn't it?  TRU would be the last place I'd expect this game to be pushed aggressively.

Offline JacksRag(e)

« Reply #73 on: Wednesday, August 15, 2007, 11:18:28 AM »
Mm, I think they've stopped selling the game.  It's been found that many of them already have the game in stock, but the couple stores that have sold it got fined pretty heavily.  All stores have pretty much been told to stop or else.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #74 on: Wednesday, August 15, 2007, 02:03:40 PM »
I found this part interesting in GameInformer's review for the X360 version.

Everything about this game screams perfection, but there’s one element that might not sit well with you. Rather than dying in battle, players simply respawn at a vita-chamber. The damage dealt to an adversary remains even though the player didn’t succeed.
So, there's like no major penalty or anything if you die???

I do like that in System Shock 2, if you die, you have to find a reconstruction chamber. Once you activate it, you respawn there when you die IF you pay off a certain amount of nanites to be reconstructed at a reconstruction chamber.

You simply have to go back and clean up your mess to continue on. As intense as the gameplay is, knowing you really can’t fail takes some of the bite out of it. Yes, this system will allow gamers of all skill levels to complete the game – which is a developer’s dream – but it may alienate gamers who only turn to games for a challenge.
I hope this game has a bunch of difficulty levels you can crank up and down, if you so choose.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #75 on: Wednesday, August 15, 2007, 02:06:54 PM »
This isn't new.  The exact same thing was present in both System Shock and System Shock 2.  If it works anything like those games (and I suspect it does), death simply robs you of the game's currency, which you pay in order to be respawned.  It does make the game easier, perhaps, but not necessarily in as drastic a way as, say, PREY, which just respawned you and sent you back on your merry way almost instantly.  The difference is that in BioShock, the world is full of spawned AIs that randomly wander around getting in your way regardless of whether or not you think you've "cleared" a level.  So if you're low on supplies and in a bad spot, don't think that getting reanimated is necessarily going to solve all your problems.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #76 on: Wednesday, August 15, 2007, 02:33:10 PM »
Plus the challenge is self-imposed anyway.  You can always play on the easiest setting if you don't want to fight as much to stay alive.  I hate getting killed in a game, even if death is only a short inconvenience.  I still see it as a major failure in what I've set out to do.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #77 on: Wednesday, August 15, 2007, 02:59:51 PM »
This isn't new.  The exact same thing was present in both System Shock and System Shock 2.  If it works anything like those games (and I suspect it does), death simply robs you of the game's currency, which you pay in order to be respawned.  It does make the game easier, perhaps, but not necessarily in as drastic a way as, say, PREY, which just respawned you and sent you back on your merry way almost instantly.
I hope Bioshock goes the same route.

The difference is that in BioShock, the world is full of spawned AIs that randomly wander around getting in your way regardless of whether or not you think you've "cleared" a level.
I been playing System Shock 2 -- there are monster planted in levels, but they don't respawn or anything then.

Though, it seems it only spawns monsters when you get caught on camera. Am I right???

So if you're low on supplies and in a bad spot, don't think that getting reanimated is necessarily going to solve all your problems.
This is true.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #78 on: Wednesday, August 15, 2007, 03:09:36 PM »
No, monsters do respawn in SS2, and it has nothing to do with whether or not you've tripped a security camera.  At least on HARD.  I haven't played the other difficulties, so I can't say for those.