Author Topic: Overwritten Radio Episode 2!  (Read 15657 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Overwritten Radio Episode 2!
« on: Sunday, June 24, 2007, 04:37:02 PM »
Greetings everyone, episode 2 is ready for public consumption!

Starring: Quemaqua, idolminds, sirean_syan, Pyromenace, and TheOtherBelmont

In this episode we all reminisce about the PS2 and our favorite games on the platform. We also talk about some newsy stuff, what we've all be playing, and other random junk.

We rambled on for 2 freaking hours when we recorded this thing, so a big hand to Que for editing it down to something more manageable. We promise to watch our time better next time around. We're all learning as we go along. Also we don't plan on having quite so many people in the future, it just worked out that everyone was on and wanted to be involved. We'll probably stick to 4 people.

Download it here!

News Links:

Sony CEO Talks PS3 Price Cut
id Tech 5 video; ids tech licensing page; VGCats Real Is Brown
Bit-Blot - Makers of Aquaria and Eternal Daughter
Capcom on Steam
AMA to vote on game addition (they voted yes, but I'm to lazy to find that link)
Jack Thompson secret meeting; JT after Wendys
Soul Calibur 4

Enjoy! Post comments and stuff!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Overwritten Radio Episode 2!
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, June 24, 2007, 05:12:14 PM »
Wewt!  Thanks for posting it up, idol.  Everyone please let me know what you think.  This is really another "test" episode all things considered, just with better software, more structure, and a lot of editing.  I hope we'll soon be getting the hang of this and getting ever more interesting content.  Who knows, maybe even some interviews with people more interesting than us!  Time will tell.

I for one need a giant break from editing this crap, so it'll probably be another 2 weeks before the next show.  I've got some outlines written but want to continue working on the show structure, so hopefully things will improve by next time and I want to give us enough time to work on that stuff.  Also, while I contributed the main theme (which may or may not change in the future) and the special SH2-remix ending to this show, hopefully NatchDan is going to be doing some chiptune stuff for us in the future, which should be fun (and we all love Dan's stuff), and I'm very happy about this because right now I don't want to even THINK about the podcast.  Anyone that followed the other thread knows that Audacity crashed and lost all my editing work, which took roughly 4 hours, the first time around.  It took another 4 or so for the 2nd try, and that doesn't include another few hours just getting things together, let alone the time spent actually recording the thing!

Thanks to all who participated.  It was good fun.  Look forward to next show!

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, June 24, 2007, 05:31:15 PM »
i'm halfway through it at the moment, and so far it's way better than the first attempt. i think it works really well as a community reflection on what's going on in gaming, which i guess is what you were going for. i would definitely download this again, not just because it's you guys, but because it's actually pretty decent.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, June 24, 2007, 08:04:10 PM »
It makes me very happy to hear you say that.  Hopefully we can continue to improve it as we evolve.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, June 24, 2007, 09:50:13 PM »
It didn't sound as bad as I thought it was going to sound, but damn we rambled so much, thanks for all of the massive editing work you did Que.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, June 24, 2007, 10:03:45 PM »
Heh, no problem.  I'm just sad about a lot of the stuff I had to cut.  You guys are fun to listen to.  Hopefully everyone feels they were well represented.  I tried to make sure I cut evenly across the board.  I had to cut a bit less from my own stuff just due to structure and such in general, but I cut some pretty massive rambles of mine down to next to nothing.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #6 on: Monday, June 25, 2007, 05:13:42 PM »
Wo0t!! I got mentioned on this Podcast!!!! :)

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #7 on: Monday, June 25, 2007, 09:18:56 PM »
Wow, I didn't realize Sirean's love for Z.O.E.  I hated that game more than any game I have ever played before it.  I guess it was decent, but it was so short and just left you hanging at the end that it pissed me off incredibly.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: Monday, June 25, 2007, 09:23:08 PM »
The game had problems with all sorts of stuff, but for what it did well it did really well (the fast giant robot combat I talked about). I loved it for that stuff. Thankfully, they focused more on that stuff in the sequel and tightened everything else up enough to make a really great game.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #9 on: Monday, June 25, 2007, 09:48:34 PM »
Yeah, the first one didn't do too well on the whole fan-wise, but the sequel was almost universally loved.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, June 26, 2007, 12:15:58 PM »
So I played Eternal Daughter.  This game is hard!  I must have died 30 times already and I'm only a few screens away from where I started.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, June 26, 2007, 06:17:16 PM »
It is a very hard game, yes.  Here's a guide if you need a hand.  You can blame one of the two Aquaria devs for that - Derek Yu.  I realized upon listening to the show again that I mistakenly said "the guys who made Eternal Daughter".  I'm pretty sure that was Derek Yu and another dude, not the guy he's working on Aquaria with... the other "half" of Bit-Blot.  That guy is Alec Holowka, one of the other dudes from TIGSource, which Derek heads up (and which you should read, because it's awesome).  I believe Alec also worked on I'm O.K., a popular (and not-really-as-controversial-as-you-might-think given the target audience) game that was made in response to the infamous Jack Thompson game-making proposal that I'm sure we all still remember well.  If you haven't play it, you fucking need to.

Anyway, I did talk to Alec on their boards the other day and he said that after they finish up Aquaria they may well join us for a podcast interview.  I'm hoping it pans out, because I think those guys are great fun.  Check out Derek Yu's site for more fun stuff.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, June 26, 2007, 11:21:45 PM »
Im currently listening to the podcast.  I just got to the section where pyro mentioned the whole video game addiction thing.  Im actually the friend he mentioned that did a paper on the subject - It was actually my graduate project for my Masters degree.  If you guys have any such interest in delving further into the subject, Id be very happy to participate in the next podcast as a guest speaker of sorts.

and for whatever reason my comma key brings up the find command.  weird.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, June 26, 2007, 11:25:23 PM »
Let me guess, you're using Firefox?  That happened to me once for some reason.  Went away on its own before I could figure out why it was happening or how to fix it, heh.

And yeah, he mentioned that it was you I think.  I honestly don't know whether or not we'll get into the subject in greater detail.  I'm still considering what to do for the next show.  Have been so busy I haven't had enough time to really give it heavy thought.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, June 26, 2007, 11:28:51 PM »
Well, if you decide to I'd be happy to lend my "expertise" to the subject.  It would be nice to actually take all this work and utilize it for something other than a grade.

And what do you know, the comma issue has resolved itself !

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #15 on: Saturday, July 14, 2007, 05:05:25 PM »
I can't wait for Episode 3!

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #16 on: Saturday, July 14, 2007, 09:20:22 PM »
I can't wait for Episode 3!

Hopefully Que can edit out all the times I repeated myself.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday, July 17, 2007, 07:33:40 PM »
Hopefully Que can edit out all the times I repeated myself.

Wo0t!!! Episode 3 is coming soon then! :)

I can't wait til Ep 4.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, July 17, 2007, 10:16:21 PM »
You're right.  You *can't* wait for episode 4 because episode 3 isn't out yet and episode 4 isn't planned.  Jeezus you get ahead of yourself!  Now I know why you ask for sequels to games you haven't played on platforms you don't own.  :-[

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, July 18, 2007, 04:37:12 PM »
You're right.  You *can't* wait for episode 4 because episode 3 isn't out yet and episode 4 isn't planned.  Jeezus you get ahead of yourself!  Now I know why you ask for sequels to games you haven't played on platforms you don't own.  :-[

ROFL!!!

Sorry, I like living in the way-too-distant future! :P