Author Topic: "What Movies Have You Seen Lately?" Thread  (Read 197195 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
"What Movies Have You Seen Lately?" Thread
« on: Sunday, July 22, 2007, 06:41:31 AM »
We often have threads about one movie in particular -- sometimes they go for a bit, sometimes they don't take off at all.

So, here's a thread for just answering the question of "What have you seen lately?"
Theaters, HD-DVD, Blu-Ray, DVD, VHS, Beta, TV -- or whatever.

So, what have you seen lately???

On DVD, I seen the following, in the last how many weeks or so...

Yep, I've seen a bunch, so I figured one thread might do the trick, instead of me doing one new thread per movie...

Avenue Montaigne -- Pretty good. Cecile De France from High Tension, again, does a good job; though, this time in a comedy/drama that is done in a Robert Altman style, in which we have numerous characters and stories flowing in one small vicinity.

Sweet Land -- Pretty good. Better than expected.

The Astronaut Farmer -- A good, entertaining movie. Billy Bob, as usual, is pretty consistent in his movies.

Behind The Mask -- A very fun, quite hilarious fictional mockumentary/comedy about a camera crew hanging out w/ a serial killer. The flick pays homage and pokes fun at many of the stupidities and nuances that happen in horror movie.

Driving Lessons -- A good coming of age story. Comedy/drama

Premonition -- Eh, as much as I do like Sandra Bullock, I wasn't impressed. Movie was okay, nothing more, nothing less. VERY predictable movie.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: "What Movies Have You Seen Lately?" Thread
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, July 22, 2007, 08:21:10 AM »
Finished up watching Twin Peaks.  Love that damned show.  Still have to see the movie which I've never seen, and Julia's yet to watch the pilot (which due to rights issues wasn't included on the US DVDs and can't really be bought except for some low-quality disks that are floating around.... so I downloaded it until they figure out their rights stuff and get us something worth buying), but we're basically done with the series now.

That's about it for me lately.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, July 22, 2007, 02:16:48 PM »
Finished up watching Twin Peaks.  Love that damned show.  Still have to see the movie which I've never seen, and Julia's yet to watch the pilot (which due to rights issues wasn't included on the US DVDs and can't really be bought except for some low-quality disks that are floating around.... so I downloaded it until they figure out their rights stuff and get us something worth buying), but we're basically done with the series now.

That's about it for me lately.

I just read what the heck you were talking about w/ the US DVD's not including the pilot and all, on Wikipedia on Twin Peak's Pilot.

Wow, that's pretty crazy....

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #3 on: Sunday, July 22, 2007, 03:31:16 PM »
Ive been watching older manly movies as of recent, the Rambo movies, finally got to see Escape from NY, and I rewatched Big Trouble in Little China. I wanna see They Live now.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: Monday, July 23, 2007, 03:05:27 AM »
Lady In the Water: Cool and interesting fairy tale, there were some things that I didn't get (like reading the cereal boxes) and M. Night really shouldn't try to act in his movies. Other than That, I liked the flick.

Jet Li's Fearless: Awesome movie based loosely on a true story where people get their asses kicked. Its time for Li to put up or shup up. and he definitely  puts outs out (kung fu wise). Theres a little bit of a live storm but not much to capyivate us, he'll kill his brother in a matter ig minutes.

Beerfest: One of the funniest movies of the year, don't see this if you don't drink or do some type of drugs.

The Wicker Man: I've heard nothing but bad things about this movie, so I didn't expect much while seeing it. Afterwards I went to the IMDB forum where people trash and love to hate this flick all at the same time. They've really picked this movie apart, check it out.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Monday, July 23, 2007, 06:19:26 AM »
I liked Lady in the Water quite a bit, though most people didn't.  And my wife saw Wicker Man thinking it couldn't be as bad as everyone said, but... she says it really was now that she's seen it.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #6 on: Monday, July 23, 2007, 04:16:14 PM »
I liked Lady in the Water quite a bit, though most people didn't.  And my wife saw Wicker Man thinking it couldn't be as bad as everyone said, but... she says it really was now that she's seen it.

Wicker Man was not good at all.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, July 26, 2007, 05:29:03 AM »
Miami Vice: This is the most confusing, boring and all around shittiest movie I've seen in years. I just couldn't believe how bad it was, full of cliches, scenes that make you totally disregard reality (which wouldn't be to bad if the movie wasn't trying to be so realistic), few action scenes which were bad and a horrible love story to top it all off. The only good thing about this movie being so bad is that Colin Farrell's career is that much further down the drain.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, July 26, 2007, 11:34:14 AM »
I got to see The Host last night.  A Korean horror/action? movie with an underwater creature that eats people, it was pretty good.  A different spin on that type of movie and it had its fair share of funny and crazy moments.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, July 26, 2007, 02:43:40 PM »
Beerfest: One of the funniest movies of the year, don't see this if you don't drink or do some type of drugs.

yes! i thought this would be a pile of crap, but it's utterly hilarious.

recently i've seen pan's labyrinth, and that's about it. i thought it was very well done, not really deserving of the massive amounts of praise it got, but very good, all the same.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, July 26, 2007, 04:08:04 PM »
yes! i thought this would be a pile of crap, but it's utterly hilarious.
That's how I felt about Beerfest, as well -- going it, I was thinking "This'll suck." But, no -- it was actually quite funny.

recently i've seen pan's labyrinth, and that's about it. i thought it was very well done, not really deserving of the massive amounts of praise it got, but very good, all the same.
I loved Pan. Great movie.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, July 26, 2007, 05:37:07 PM »
I watched "The Host" last night. It was decent. Pretty good monster flick with a little something different.

Offline Raisa

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, August 01, 2007, 07:59:42 PM »
From Russia With Love - dont' ask why

Shrek 3 - funny at the start but got kinda over it towards the end

Taken.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #13 on: Thursday, August 02, 2007, 02:03:10 AM »
Watched The Departed again, damn that is one hell of a movie. I think I actually like it better than Goodfellas.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, August 02, 2007, 05:45:05 AM »
I saw Sunshine a few days ago and damn was that a great movie.  I can't wait for it to come out on DVD.

Offline NatchDan

• I object.
    • NatchDan Music
« Reply #15 on: Thursday, August 02, 2007, 07:31:04 AM »
Sunshine did indeed kick ass. It took me a long time to figure out that Seare was in Die Hard 4. I was watching DH and thinking "I know you. I KNOW I know you."
|

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: Friday, August 03, 2007, 01:24:12 PM »

It's a shame we waste our time on trash like Wicker Man just because we're too curious to ignore it.  It's awful.

I hated Shrek 3 with a passion.  Strictly a money-grubbing ripoff of expectations.  Unbelievably bad plot progression, if you can call it that.  I saw it with my daughters at the theater, though, and they liked it well enough, especially the little one.  That made it worthwhile.

I liked Lady in the Water.  If M Night sticks to magic and fantasy, he avoids making a fool of himself with his scientific ignorance, or carelessness, or whatever it is.  He is definitely good at creating a mood of suspense and wonder.  It's hard to take your eyes off the screen.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #17 on: Friday, August 03, 2007, 06:39:49 PM »
I'm glad someone else liked Lady.  I thought it was a nice story.  I'm a sucker for a lot of the themes it used.  I think I liked it for a lot of the same reasons that I liked The Iron Giant.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, August 07, 2007, 09:38:18 PM »
gahh, just finished watching vanilla sky. it's the closest thing in movie form to the experience of taking a shit load of drugs. ouch, i want my brain back.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday, August 07, 2007, 09:43:55 PM »
I always wanted to watch that, but never did.  I should.

Offline JacksRag(e)

« Reply #20 on: Tuesday, August 07, 2007, 10:56:28 PM »
Recently watched Invisible Target.  A new HK action film.  Seriously intense action sequences.  Makes me miss the old HK glory days. 

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, August 08, 2007, 02:31:38 PM »
I recently seen....

Disturbia -- Very good. Pretty good story and acting. Kept you on your edge of your seat, wondering if really the dude next door was a psycho or not and if LeBouf was maybe too paranoid or not. Worth watching, easily.

I Think I Love My Wife -- Ummm, I Don't Think I Liked This Movie Too Much. It was decent -- nothing more, nothing less. Some moments were funny, some just weren't.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #22 on: Thursday, August 30, 2007, 06:17:57 PM »
Cashback -- Pretty good and absolutely hilarious.

The Dog Problem -- Good and quite funny.

Blades of Glory -- Some of it was funny, some just was a pure miss. Took quite a bit, before the movie got going comedy-wise. Eh, it's mediocre, if even that...

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #23 on: Friday, August 31, 2007, 01:52:13 AM »
Fracture - Highly enjoyable, but nothing terribly memorable.  Great performances all around though.

Shrek the Third - Very disappointing and an overall letdown compared to its predecessors.

Alpha Dog - Decent movie on the true story of Jesse James Hollywood.

Offline Raisa

• Veteran
« Reply #24 on: Friday, August 31, 2007, 06:40:12 AM »
Recently watched Invisible Target.  A new HK action film.  Seriously intense action sequences.  Makes me miss the old HK glory days. 

Hey Jack...  I met some big superstars not too long ago....  i'll show you pics, you'll probably be able to match the name.  i'm not great with the names.

haha any fans of chuck norris here? he's a friend of my uncle... a fact i'm not that proud of... hahahah
Taken.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #25 on: Friday, August 31, 2007, 01:44:53 PM »
Fracture - Highly enjoyable, but nothing terribly memorable.  Great performances all around though.

Alpha Dog - Decent movie on the true story of Jesse James Hollywood.
I liked both of those movies a lot.
Both were quite good, I thought.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #26 on: Friday, August 31, 2007, 09:12:58 PM »
haha any fans of chuck norris here? he's a friend of my uncle... a fact i'm not that proud of... hahahah

i would literally trim my fingernails to meet chuck norris. he is a role model for hairy men everywhere.

Offline Raisa

• Veteran
« Reply #27 on: Sunday, September 02, 2007, 11:56:08 PM »
eew
Taken.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: Monday, September 03, 2007, 04:26:55 PM »
gahh, just finished watching vanilla sky. it's the closest thing in movie form to the experience of taking a shit load of drugs. ouch, i want my brain back.

That's one of my favorite movies of all time, seriously.  It's based on a Spanish story and movie called Abre los ojos (open your eyes).  Penelope Cruz is in it as well.  In this one case, I like the American remake a lot better.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #29 on: Monday, September 03, 2007, 04:47:39 PM »
I watched Children of Men, very good film. It reminded me a lot of the Pianist in the way it was paced.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #30 on: Monday, September 03, 2007, 05:04:42 PM »
I liked both Vanilla Sky and Children of Men.

Children of Men was really good, actually.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #31 on: Monday, September 03, 2007, 05:38:25 PM »
ATHF: CMFFT

Funny as shit.

"Neil! play the drum solo of life!

Neil is actually Neil Peart, the drummer from Rush. Just in case you didn't know.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #32 on: Monday, September 03, 2007, 05:39:45 PM »
ATHF: CMFFT

Funny as shit.

"Neil! play the drum solo of life!

Haha yes, that part and the beginning of the movie with Mastadon were my favorite parts.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #33 on: Monday, September 03, 2007, 06:32:11 PM »
So it was good then?  I still haven't taken the leap of faith I need to watch it.  I like earlier ATHF, but not the later stuff as much.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #34 on: Monday, September 03, 2007, 07:18:46 PM »
Yeah, it's great.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday, September 04, 2007, 02:38:22 AM »
ATHF Movie: I could only watch about 25 minutes of that one before I turned it off out of boredom. I guess it's not a good idea to make a feature length film out of an 11 minute tv show.

Sunshine: I wanted to like this movie, but it got really stupid at the end. Even though it was sci-fi, it had this great touch of realism. That is until...well...I'm sure you guys know what I'm talking about.

Offline Raisa

• Veteran
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday, September 05, 2007, 04:01:30 AM »
braveheart

almost famous
Taken.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday, September 05, 2007, 07:37:44 AM »
28 Weeks Later: It was alright. I liked 28 Days Later more.

Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer: It was ok. You'd have to be a huge fan of F4 and Silver Surfer to really enjoy it.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday, September 05, 2007, 11:07:45 AM »
Ok, I just watched Death Proof and I am convinced that Quentin Tarantino is a pretentious prick and has a serious foot fetish. He keeps trying to pull off the 'retro' feel mixed in with an insincere nonchalant attitude, and he has an insane obsession with feet.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday, September 05, 2007, 09:15:03 PM »
Heh, I loved Death Proof.