Author Topic: "What Movies Have You Seen Lately?" Thread  (Read 198545 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: "What Movies Have You Seen Lately?" Thread
« Reply #160 on: Thursday, February 07, 2008, 03:24:26 AM »
Watch Hotrod, if you grew up in the 80s with the "hero against the odds" movies -- with the really cheesy soundtracks --, and if you like low budget goofy comedies. I found it pretty funny.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #161 on: Thursday, February 07, 2008, 10:21:11 AM »
Bender's Big Score: This movie was weird, but it was funny and had that great writing that Futurama is known for in the series. It felt a little long at times, but I think its because I was used to the 30 minute episodes instead of a 90 minute one.

The Brave One: I've wanted to see this movie since it came out and it was pretty good. Jodie Foster does a great job of playing a believable badass on a killing spree. The movie could've used more killing and the ending was kinda weak, but I still liked this movie.

Death Sentence: I liked this movie too, this is also a revenge movie like The Brave One, but it's really violent and is more action oriented. You're going to have to suspend your belief on some stuff, but the movie is still enjoyable.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #162 on: Thursday, February 07, 2008, 07:24:51 PM »
Ratatouille: Pixar at it again. I LOVE the look of the movie. Good flick, though predictable.

Flushed Away: Maybe not quite as "good" as Pixars movie, but I found it more entertaining. Its has a great sense of humor. I actually found several parts very, very funny. I recommend it. Disclaimer: I'm a big Aardman fanboy.

Rent both and have a night filled with computer generated rodents and french accents.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #163 on: Thursday, February 07, 2008, 10:01:11 PM »
Ratatouille was predictable, but for some reason I got emotional watching it. haha.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #164 on: Friday, February 08, 2008, 10:50:49 AM »
I really liked both of those.  Flushed Away is Aardman's movie (guys behind Wallace and Gromit, Chicken Run).  It's their first CGI production, and they did a bangup job with Dreamworks.  I laughed my head off.  Ratatouille is Pixar.  Pixar is God.  Therefore . . .

I forgot I had acquired Bender's Big Score.  I was very tired when I tried to watch it, and I was nodding about halfway into it.  Not a very good recommendation, is it?  I do want to watch it all the way through.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #165 on: Friday, February 08, 2008, 12:37:13 PM »
I saw "The Kingdom". It was fairly realistic for the first 75%. Then it went Rambo meets the 'Eastern and Western politically correct feel good cooperation' against the extremists.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #166 on: Sunday, February 10, 2008, 11:37:33 AM »
Agree w/ Puggy -- Vice is worth your time b/c the movie oozes w/ style.

Honestly, it's hard to go wrong w/ Michael Mann.

Just look at the track record -- Heat, Insider, Collateral and a surprisngly worthwhile Miami Vice movie (based somewhat off TV series).

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #167 on: Sunday, February 10, 2008, 12:46:39 PM »
Yup Mann rules.

I watched Rescue Dawn, which had another good performance from Christian Bale. The first half of the movie was better than the second, and it wasn't a bad movie overall.

I saw Daniel Craig and Nicole Kidman in "Invasion", yet another remake of "Body Snatchers". Wasn't too bad. It is amazing how Kidman continues to look so beautiful. Tom Cruise, you idiot.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #168 on: Sunday, February 10, 2008, 03:35:56 PM »
I saw Daniel Craig and Nicole Kidman in "Invasion", yet another remake of "Body Snatchers". Wasn't too bad. It is amazing how Kidman continues to look so beautiful. Tom Cruise, you idiot.

Yes, in more ways than one.

I want to see Invasion, but I'm afraid they're going to end it like the first remake.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #169 on: Sunday, February 10, 2008, 04:17:21 PM »
No this ends on a more positive note.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #170 on: Monday, February 11, 2008, 06:49:51 AM »
I don't know why I can't find Nicole Kidman attractive.. Kinda like Julian Moore.. Kylie Minogue on the other hand.. MeeOW!

Anyway, I just watched Beowulf.. Awesome. Pure awesome. The first minute I had a hard time distinguishing whether it was fully animated or a hybrid, they designed Anthony Hopkins (as Rothgar) so well!

I can see how this movie would have had the extra boost from the cinema screen, or the IMAX theatre, but it was still great on DVD.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #171 on: Monday, February 11, 2008, 08:13:25 AM »
They do have this cat like look.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #172 on: Monday, February 11, 2008, 10:27:04 AM »
No this ends on a more positive note.

Thanks!  :)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #173 on: Monday, February 11, 2008, 10:50:47 AM »
Well the remake I saw was the one in the 90s, and it didn't end well for humanity. I realize there was another remake before that, which I haven't seen.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #174 on: Monday, February 11, 2008, 12:24:42 PM »
To my knowledge, there was only the '70s remake, with Donald Sutherland.  The original movie was released in '56.  If there's another, I've missed it.  There have been many sci-fi stories and movies with similar themes.  The latest I know of is The Astronaut's Wife.  It is rather chilling, with Charlize Theron elevating the material to convincing terror.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #175 on: Monday, February 11, 2008, 01:37:22 PM »
Yup this has had four different versions now. Four official remakes. The 90s one had a depressing ending.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #176 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2008, 02:30:16 PM »
Michael Clayton - I didn't like this movie as much as I thought I would, it was just your typical "someone finds something they shouldn't", they get killed and the friend gets involved. Its like Enemy of the State, but with a lot less action...as in none.

Across the Universe - I don't really know or like the Beatles, I was ripped outta my mind and I absolutely loved this movie. It has good music, a decent story and awesome visuals. I think everyone should check it out.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #177 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2008, 04:41:35 PM »
First Blood - You know, the first Rambo movie. I had never seen it before. Really liked it.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #178 on: Wednesday, February 13, 2008, 11:07:56 AM »
There's a reason it went into sequels.  It was good and fairly innovative when it was released.

I liked The Invasion, Pug.  It's not a great movie by any means, but it's a good take on the bodysnatchers' story.  What makes it is Kidman, the personal reactions and interactions, especially with her family.  The ending was too pat, but I do prefer it to the gloom and doom of most horror movies.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #179 on: Wednesday, February 13, 2008, 11:37:20 AM »
Yea it wasn't a good movie by any means, but if you like that sorta thing, and you like Kidman, then it is a win.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #180 on: Sunday, February 17, 2008, 11:17:53 PM »
I watched The Darjeeling Limited. I thought it was good. It's an amusing and thought-provoking movie, especially if you have siblings. :)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #181 on: Sunday, February 17, 2008, 11:45:03 PM »
I still can't believe I missed that when it was in theaters.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #182 on: Sunday, February 17, 2008, 11:55:22 PM »
Yeah, I'm definitely going to pick it up when it comes out on dvd.

I didn't see this recently (more like 4 months ago) but if you have a chance, pick up The Fog of War. I just watched it again recently (hence my sig quote) and it's by far the best documentary that I've ever seen. It follows Robert McNamara, who was involved in the fire bombings in WWII and was Secretary of Defense during the Vietnam war (among other things). Though provoking and very intense.

Edit: Excerpt
« Last Edit: Monday, February 18, 2008, 12:21:00 AM by Ghandi »

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #183 on: Monday, February 18, 2008, 12:26:58 AM »
Across the Universe - I don't really know or like the Beatles, I was ripped outta my mind and I absolutely loved this movie. It has good music, a decent story and awesome visuals. I think everyone should check it out.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.  I had not even heard about it.  Watched it.  Loved it.  Terrific homage to the Beatles music, and they managed to weave it all into a story.  It's a unique film.  I was floored to see that it was Julie Taymor's in the credits.  She's quite a creative powerhouse.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #184 on: Monday, February 18, 2008, 07:21:05 AM »
Gone Baby Gone -- Very good. Actually, it was better than expected. Morgan Freeman was great, as usual.

No Reservations -- Thought it was good.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #185 on: Sunday, February 24, 2008, 11:38:06 AM »
Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium is a whimsical journey of childhood revival! It was just so out of this world!

Hehe it was kinda refreshing to see a Wonka-like movie again :)

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #186 on: Sunday, February 24, 2008, 02:31:59 PM »
I recently got to watch The King of Kong last week and damn was it enjoyable to watch.  It took me by surprise how well it was done.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #187 on: Monday, February 25, 2008, 04:35:19 AM »
King of Kong was recommended by PC gamer magazine.

I finally watched Love Actually.

It could have been a classy movie, instead it was sickeningly sweet... enough to give you brain decay.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #188 on: Monday, February 25, 2008, 02:54:56 PM »
I watched King of Kong.  Interesting.  The original DK record holder came across as the ultimate conceited jerk.  I'm sure he thinks his shit doesn't stink.  He must have been pissed after the movie came out.  I doubt he would have cooperated to that extent only to be shown up like that.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #189 on: Monday, February 25, 2008, 04:19:48 PM »
American Gangster -- Excellent. For a movie that clocks in at 2 hr 50 mins or so, never for one moment felt like it.

Michael Clayton -- Very good movie. Tilda Swinton was quite cold, in this flick. Tom Wilkinson was great, by the way.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #190 on: Monday, February 25, 2008, 05:22:58 PM »
I think I mentioned this before:  American Gangster is 2 whole stories, each deserving its own movie.  That's why it never drags.  Michael Clayton will be what I track down next, after I watch No Country for Old Men.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #191 on: Tuesday, February 26, 2008, 12:01:23 AM »
I saw Juno, which was an interesting movie.  Nothing spectacular, but I actually enjoyed it and it was humorous at times.

I also saw We Own the Night, which is a cop drama with Mark Wahlberg and Joaquin Phoenix.  Decent movie.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #192 on: Tuesday, February 26, 2008, 02:16:06 AM »
Thanks for bringing this to my attention.  I had not even heard about it.  Watched it.  Loved it.  Terrific homage to the Beatles music, and they managed to weave it all into a story.  It's a unique film.  I was floored to see that it was Julie Taymor's in the credits.  She's quite a creative powerhouse.

No problem, I actually had this movie sitting on my shelf for a bit before I watched it...and thats because someone else was watching it at their house. I've seen it three times so far with commentary and everything. However, I'm pissed that this movie was ignored at the Oscars.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #193 on: Tuesday, February 26, 2008, 04:12:35 AM »
Were you really surprised though?

I also saw We Own the Night, which is a cop drama with Mark Wahlberg and Joaquin Phoenix.  Decent movie.

Incidentally, I saw that last night myself. Pretty good. It wasn't a very original script, but some solid acting and very good overall direction made it a pretty good flick.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #194 on: Tuesday, February 26, 2008, 01:52:51 PM »
No problem, I actually had this movie sitting on my shelf for a bit before I watched it...and thats because someone else was watching it at their house. I've seen it three times so far with commentary and everything. However, I'm pissed that this movie was ignored at the Oscars.

It doesn't surprise me.  It did get nominated, but if you head over to rottentomatoes.com, you'll see that opinions are very polarized.  Too many critics simply didn't get it.  Maybe it's an age thing.  Without the proper perspective on the Beatles and the time period, it would be more difficult to have it all gel in your head.  For one review I completely agree with, check out Roger Ebert's.  He's definitely old enough.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #195 on: Tuesday, February 26, 2008, 07:49:17 PM »
It probably doesn't help that yes, there really are people who just don't like the Beatles.  I appreciate a lot of their stuff, and I obviously appreciate their influence on countless musicians and would never deny their innovation or musical talents, but I don't find their music listenable.  It's grating to me (with some exceptions).

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #196 on: Tuesday, February 26, 2008, 09:17:45 PM »
It probably doesn't help that yes, there really are people who just don't like the Beatles.  I appreciate a lot of their stuff, and I obviously appreciate their influence on countless musicians and would never deny their innovation or musical talents, but I don't find their music listenable.  It's grating to me (with some exceptions).

I'm so happy to hear this being said. Those are my thoughts exactly and nobody I know, with one exception, seems to understand. They're all amazed that it's possible for someone to not like their music.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #197 on: Wednesday, February 27, 2008, 03:19:53 PM »
That's a different issue entirely.  It relates to reviewer tilt.  If you flatly don't like the Beatles' music, then you should recuse yourself from a review, or clearly proclaim your negative lean.  I've used broccoli analogies before, and I'll use one again now.  If I'm hired to do a review of a gourmet dish featuring broccoli in any form, I will do the chef and prospective diners a disservice by sharing my opinion of what it tastes like.  I despise broccoli, barely tolerating it when it's heavily disguised by intense sauces.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #198 on: Wednesday, February 27, 2008, 03:31:29 PM »

Like Ren, I am pleased to hear you say that. I never understood why they were so amazing, and tried very hard to appreciate them. Growing up, a lot of my extended family would listen to their music on occasion -- even if it was old. I just never got it. 

That's a different issue entirely.  It relates to reviewer tilt.  If you flatly don't like the Beatles' music, then you should recuse yourself from a review, or clearly proclaim your negative lean.  I've used broccoli analogies before, and I'll use one again now.  If I'm hired to do a review of a gourmet dish featuring broccoli in any form, I will do the chef and prospective diners a disservice by sharing my opinion of what it tastes like.  I despise broccoli, barely tolerating it when it's heavily disguised by intense sauces.

Good man.

Slightly off topic, but that's why GFW pulled that NWN2 review. The guy hated D&D to the point where he even didn't get Baldur's Gate, so why was he given that review?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #199 on: Wednesday, February 27, 2008, 08:54:54 PM »
Yeah I agree, it's stupid to put people like that onto reviewing something.  It's one thing if you love the Beatles and hate the movie, another if you don't like them much to begin with.