Author Topic: "What Movies Have You Seen Lately?" Thread  (Read 197520 times)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: "What Movies Have You Seen Lately?" Thread
« Reply #40 on: Thursday, September 06, 2007, 12:28:02 AM »
I don't know man, I thought it was rubbish. It just made no sense, kinda like Crank except less action.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #41 on: Thursday, September 06, 2007, 01:16:11 AM »
Well first of all, I'm guessing you didn't see it in a theater, which immediately disbars you from debating either Grindhouse film.  Those things were *made* for theaters.  Seeing it with a bunch of friends and an enthusiastic audience is what made both of them.  Sure, they're cool on their own in their own sort of way, but not nearly so great as when you get the full experience.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #42 on: Thursday, September 06, 2007, 02:20:05 AM »
Well first of all, I'm guessing you didn't see it in a theater, which immediately disbars you from debating either Grindhouse film.  Those things were *made* for theaters.  Seeing it with a bunch of friends and an enthusiastic audience is what made both of them.  Sure, they're cool on their own in their own sort of way, but not nearly so great as when you get the full experience.
Yeah, I watched it at my friend's place. I get what you mean, but I feel if a movie depends too heavily on the awe of a theatre then it's not a good movie, just a good demo reel.

As far as I'm concerned Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez have successfully sold a 2-part B-movie wrapped in a high budget façade.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #43 on: Thursday, September 06, 2007, 05:25:33 AM »
Yeah, I watched it at my friend's place. I get what you mean, but I feel if a movie depends too heavily on the awe of a theatre then it's not a good movie, just a good demo reel.

As far as I'm concerned Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez have successfully sold a 2-part B-movie wrapped in a high budget façade.

Number 1) I don't think Grindhouse sold very well according to what I've heard from box office sales and number 2) its a surprise to me that the movie or movies would have such a high budget judging by the intentional focus of the"retro" style theme.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #44 on: Thursday, September 06, 2007, 01:19:04 PM »
I just watched Dead or Alive. So bad its hilarious, yet kinda fun to watch.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday, September 12, 2007, 07:11:44 AM »
Children of Men - Loved this movie, I loved the cinematography, the acting, story, music, all of it. At first I had the impression this was more action oriented, but I wasn't disappointed when it wasn't.

Next - This movie could've been so much cooler, it's actually pretty boring with a few impressive parts in between.

Idiocracy - People seem to hate this movie, I thought it was hilarious, check it out.

Blood Diamond - One of the best movies of the year...its relevant too.

Death Proof - The biggest disappoint of the year, if not a few years. I'm actually happy that I didn't see this in theaters, I probably would've walked out. I expect long dialog in Tarantino flicks, but this dialog was just mind numbingly boring. I paused this movie so many times that it took me about 4 hours to watch the whole, painful thing.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday, September 12, 2007, 06:55:35 PM »
I like the concept of Idiocracy.  I subscribe to it, sort of.  The constant celebration of idiocy and ridicule of intellect just have to have some longterm effect on society.  The problem with the movie is that it should have been an hour-long special on TV, including 20 minutes of commercials.  There isn't nearly enough there for a whole movie.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #47 on: Thursday, September 13, 2007, 01:38:19 PM »
I like the concept of Idiocracy.
Agreed.

The constant celebration of idiocy and ridicule of intellect just have to have some longterm effect on society.  The problem with the movie is that it should have been an hour-long special on TV, including 20 minutes of commercials.  There isn't nearly enough there for a whole movie.
I thought the movie was too long for what it did, as well.

I would've liked more substance, joke and story-wise; as I felt a good portion of it was hit and miss.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: Saturday, September 15, 2007, 07:18:24 PM »
Fracture - Highly enjoyable, but nothing terribly memorable.  Great performances all around though.

I liked the first 2/3 of this movie quite a bit, but the rest was pretty much garbage.  They set it out so elaborately, yet in the end wrapped it up in the most retarded way ever.

(click to show/hide)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #49 on: Sunday, September 16, 2007, 09:08:36 AM »

Death Proof - The biggest disappoint of the year, if not a few years. I'm actually happy that I didn't see this in theaters, I probably would've walked out. I expect long dialog in Tarantino flicks, but this dialog was just mind numbingly boring. I paused this movie so many times that it took me about 4 hours to watch the whole, painful thing.

The version in the theatres w/ Grindhouse was around 90 mins.

The DVD version I think is like 127 mins.

Does the DVD version like you select b/t Theatre Cut and Extended Cut?
Some DVD's do that....

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #50 on: Sunday, September 16, 2007, 11:24:15 AM »
Damn, why all the hate for Grindhouse?

I'm pretty much on the same boat as Que concerning the movie, seeing it in theaters with the fake trailers in between made it a great experience.  What made it even more awesome for me was that a large majority of the films were filmed in Austin(where I am from and went to go and see the movie at), especially evident in Death Proof during most of the bar and restaurant scenes, so I was super familiar with all of the places they went, I've been to Guero's and the Texas Chili Parlor several times, both in downtown Austin.  What made it even more cool was that during one of the driving scenes they drove right by the Alamo Drafthouse Theater on 4th and Colorado that I was watching the movie in.

I still did like Planet Terror more than Death Proof though.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #51 on: Sunday, September 16, 2007, 07:16:23 PM »
Damn, why all the hate for Grindhouse?

I'm pretty much on the same boat as Que concerning the movie, seeing it in theaters with the fake trailers in between made it a great experience.
Agreed.

What made it even more awesome for me was that a large majority of the films were filmed in Austin(where I am from and went to go and see the movie at), especially evident in Death Proof during most of the bar and restaurant scenes, so I was super familiar with all of the places they went, I've been to Guero's and the Texas Chili Parlor several times, both in downtown Austin.  What made it even more cool was that during one of the driving scenes they drove right by the Alamo Drafthouse Theater on 4th and Colorado that I was watching the movie in.
Wow, that's pretty cool.

I still did like Planet Terror more than Death Proof though.
I preferred Death Proof over Planet Terror, myself.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #52 on: Thursday, September 20, 2007, 06:30:27 PM »
. . . men are weak but he is strong.
Jesus loves me, yes I know,
for the Bible tells me so.

That's from Phantoms (1998), story and screenplay by Dean Koontz.  I keep seeing Bioshock in everything these days.  I remember renting this movie a few years ago.  It's one of the very few modern creature features and bio-shockers that I actually like.  It happened to be on satellite TV earlier today.  I don't recall that singsong from before.  It didn't mean anything special to me then.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #53 on: Thursday, September 20, 2007, 06:33:03 PM »
I've been watching lots of old movies.  Mostly Hitchcock.  Not entirely sure why.  Just sick of most of the crap that's out now, I guess.  It seems movies I want to watch get fewer and farther between every month.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: Thursday, September 20, 2007, 07:09:44 PM »
Pickings have been slim.  I like to watch good old movies too, mostly from the 1940s.  There's a certain quality to them that was lost by the 60s.  I love TCM.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #55 on: Sunday, October 14, 2007, 05:26:27 AM »
Stranger Than Fiction: I thought this movie would be more funny, but it wasn't. On top of that, it had a cop out ending. Its good for a date movie, but avoid if watching alone.

Deja Vu: I liked this movie, yes it was a time traveler, but it was much smarter than what you're usually forced to believe.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #56 on: Sunday, October 14, 2007, 10:32:12 AM »
I caught Reign On Me.
A lot better than I expected.

Was pretty good.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday, October 16, 2007, 10:34:43 PM »
I saw Stranger Than Fiction also.  It was strange alright.  The concept makes no sense, even as a metaphor or allegory (not to me anyway).  Plus the chick with the intentionally skanked arm didn't do a thing for me, and I don't like what's-his-face to begin with.  No emotional connection for me at all.

I sort of watched Running with Scissors, a 2006 release.  I wanted to bitch-slap Annette Bening's character so bad that I could not sit through the whole movie.  I kept skipping past her psychotic rage.  I guess that says a lot about her acting ability--it's too real to take sitting down.  I didn't much care for the whole situation at all, even if based on real events.  The only reason I'm glad I suffered the experience is that it brought back Al Stewart's Year of the Cat.  The hauntingly familiar piano opening transfixed me as it came on over a budding scene, repeating a good deal more than it does on the album.  The lovely song built up from there, complementing the unfolding drama very well.  I had not listened to it for many years.  I can't believe I had almost forgotten it.  Maybe I should have posted this in the thread about what music I'm listening to.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday, October 16, 2007, 11:17:35 PM »
I saw order of the phoenix. The ending was fantastic... and I disliked the first two Harry Potter movies.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #59 on: Sunday, October 21, 2007, 09:01:15 AM »
The Prestige: Definitely one of the cooler movies I've seen all year! I don't want to give too much of the plot away, but its basically about two magicians going to extreme measures to outdo each other.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #60 on: Sunday, October 21, 2007, 09:27:57 AM »
Prestige was indeed cool.  I liked the other magician-movie of the time, The Illusionist, a little better though (it's a bit more of a fairy tale, so your mileage may vary).

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #61 on: Sunday, October 21, 2007, 01:02:20 PM »
I liked them both. I found the Illusionist to be the better movie, yet I enjoyed the Prestige more. How does that sound hehe.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #62 on: Sunday, October 21, 2007, 10:20:00 PM »
I liked them both as well, but I liked The Prestige better. I think its because the plot twist caught me off guard even though it was in my face the whole time and many hints were given. In The Illusionist, I could see the plot twist before half of the movie was even done.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #63 on: Tuesday, October 23, 2007, 09:35:13 AM »
I agree that the Illusionist was very very predictable, yet I could still enjoy it even if I knew what was coming.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #64 on: Wednesday, October 24, 2007, 03:58:25 AM »
I agree that the Illusionist was very very predictable, yet I could still enjoy it even if I knew what was coming.
I read the short story when I was younger, but that didn't deter me in any way. It was a great movie, and arguably Paul Giamatti's best performance!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #65 on: Wednesday, October 24, 2007, 10:06:07 PM »
I saw Mr. Brooks.

I really liked it -- yes, a lot.

Kevin Costner and William Hurt were just great in this movie.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #66 on: Thursday, November 01, 2007, 07:22:31 AM »
I saw Wild Hogs. Hadn't heard anything about it, so didn't know what to expect. While I wouldn't call it a good movie, I enjoyed it for the most. Watching men go through a midlife crisis made me identify with them, even if a lot of the movie resorted to cliches. Still, I enjoyed it for the first 75%, though it took a predictable nose dive towards the end.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #67 on: Friday, November 02, 2007, 01:59:18 PM »
I saw 88 minutes and I liked it. It is very sad that Al Pacino is nearing the end of his career.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #68 on: Friday, November 02, 2007, 04:28:12 PM »
I saw Mr. Brooks.

I really liked it -- yes, a lot.

Kevin Costner and William Hurt were just great in this movie.

I saw Mr. Brooks and I thought it was ok, here are my three main gripes:

(click to show/hide)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #69 on: Friday, November 02, 2007, 11:28:06 PM »
Since I had no intention of watching this, I read the spoilers. The ending sounds so stupid.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #70 on: Saturday, November 03, 2007, 07:24:00 AM »
In Regards to Nick on The Ending to Mr. Brooks...
(click to show/hide)

Regardless of what is a double-edged sword of an ending, an ending which I do like on one hand and dislike on another, I still really liked the movie a lot.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #71 on: Saturday, November 03, 2007, 10:53:01 AM »
Saw The Simpsons movie. Very enjoyable and had funny moments.

Spider Pig was hilarious, and the part where Homer is whipping wolves on the sleigh was extremely funny.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #72 on: Saturday, November 03, 2007, 11:30:28 AM »
Eh.  That movie failed.  I wanted to like it, and while it wasn't terrible, it did not in the least touch the times when the Simpsons were truly great.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #73 on: Monday, November 05, 2007, 06:51:22 AM »
I watched Ocean's 13, which was the first of the three I actually liked. The first two I found dull.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #74 on: Monday, November 05, 2007, 10:11:07 PM »
Just out of curiosity, why would you watch the third after not liking the first two?

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #75 on: Monday, November 05, 2007, 10:55:53 PM »
Just watched "Grindhouse". I loved it. Don't understand why it gets all the hate. Very cool homage.

Offline JacksRag(e)

« Reply #76 on: Monday, November 05, 2007, 11:51:48 PM »
Saw 30 Days of Night.

Was pretty cool and different for a vampire movie.

Offline Raisa

• Veteran
« Reply #77 on: Monday, November 12, 2007, 08:47:33 PM »
Just out of curiosity, why would you watch the third after not liking the first two?

cause he's pug.

I started to watch Ella Enchanted but didn't get very far.

Taken.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #78 on: Monday, November 12, 2007, 10:55:48 PM »

Cause I am Pug. Also because I had nothing better to watch while having lunch. My sister had it, so I thought... meh.

It is a very fair question actually haha.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #79 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2007, 02:05:35 AM »
Really? Ocean's 13 is the one I didn't like! :P hehe I think we need to re-evaluate our likes/dislikes chart!

I just watched Day Watch yesterday. Weird. Good special effects. Zhanna Friske is so ~Haawwwt~! It's still a weird movie though.