Author Topic: Odell Thurman (Bengals linebacker) to sit out second consecutive season  (Read 812 times)

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Odell Thurman (Bengals linebacker) to sit out second consecutive season
« on: Thursday, July 26, 2007, 04:46:06 PM »
The NFL announced today that it has denied Odell Thurman's request for reinstatement to the NFL following a year-long suspension in 2006 for missing a drug/alcohol test and then getting a DUI while under a 4-game suspension for the missed test.  There was a media report in early June about Odell and his cousing assaulting a man at a party, but the complaint to the police wasn't made until 3 days after the supposed incident and charges were never filed and the police chief in the area actually defended Thurman in the media.

Thurman was allowed to reapply for reinstatement on July 11.

Unbelievable.  Thurman hasn't been a saint, I grant you that.  But how can this guy serve a 2-year suspension for this?  I mean he already served his suspension and it is believed that nothing has truly happened since the DUI.  But Mike Vick can torture dogs and simply not have to report to training camp (so far), Joey Porter can assault another NFL player and get a lecture, and Jared Allen can get two DUIs and receive only a 2-game suspension while Thurman gets a 2-year suspension?  Insanity.

Offline PyroMenace

Re: Odell Thurman (Bengals linebacker) to sit out second consecutive season
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, July 26, 2007, 05:03:54 PM »
It seems like the only sports news I hear about in Tennessee is another Titans player involved with drugs, alcohol, or just being a stupid reckless asshole.

Offline HxCeddie

« Reply #2 on: Sunday, July 29, 2007, 09:04:34 AM »
Since the patriots signed Randy Moss, I'm just waiting to hear him do something stupid and get suspended. It's envitable at this point.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, July 29, 2007, 09:10:17 AM »
I forgot I posted this.  Well, Odell is appealing the decision, and they are trying to get the NFLPA to file a grievance.

I wonder if maybe it was a ploy by the commissioner to be like "See how easy this can be taken away from you?  Don't fuck it up anymore," and then reinstate him.