Author Topic: Podcast ideas thread  (Read 36659 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Podcast ideas thread
« on: Thursday, August 02, 2007, 08:45:57 PM »
We don't have anything planned for the next podcast, so lets open it up to the people! Huzzah!

Anyone got some interesting topics we should talk about on the podcast? That whole "PC gaming is dying" topic might make for a fun discussion. I'm sure Que and I could do a show on the indie game scene, with me mentioning a bunch of free stuffs. I could do some stuff on the mod scene (though it hasn't been terribly interesting lately).

Well...whatever. What do you want to hear us yammer on about?

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: Podcast ideas thread
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, August 02, 2007, 08:55:46 PM »
Oh, and I had this idea I figure I'd throw out there, though this is more a format thing than a "talking about stuff" thing. I wonder if it might be fun to do "segmented podcasts" every once in a while. Where each of us records a segment, 10 minutes in length or so, talking about a specific subject. Like I can go record a "Free Game of the Week" segment, or sy could record some painting tips or whatever. Then we collect a few of these and put them together as a show, with a little exchange in the middle to like them together (like a disc jokey). Might be interesting when we don't feel like getting a bunch of people online at once. At least sound quality should be better overall than the teamspeak stuff.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, August 02, 2007, 09:33:22 PM »
It's an interesting idea, but a bit hard to manage given that so many people would be involved individually.  It'd be hard to ensure a sufficient level of quality.  Still, it's worth thinking about.  That's just my initial thought.

I have several ideas for new shows, and was going to start talking about getting people together for another one, but my cable went out for about 4 or 5 days.  Started just sort of popping in and out, then went out altogether for the last like 3 days.  So yeah, no productivity for Que this week.  But I'm working on getting another.  Sy gave me several ideas also.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, August 02, 2007, 10:08:52 PM »
We could do a classic game theme where we talk about some of our favorites from years past.

We could do a show where we talk about where the industry is going as a whole, pros, cons, etc

We could do one on video game addiction and the effects of violence in video games.  I would certainly be well equipped for this one.

And I think the PC gaming is dying issue was covered adequately in the thread.  No sense in rehashing it in a podcast.  Just my opinion.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, August 02, 2007, 10:11:10 PM »
I agree, the thread covered it pretty well. Damn thread, stealing my podcasts!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, August 02, 2007, 10:14:07 PM »
Some stuff I really want to do soon would be talking about stuff like online distribution (i.e. Steam) not providing consumers with adequate benefits, console manufacturers providing inadequate hardware, releasing more buggy console games now with internet patching becoming easy, etc.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, August 02, 2007, 10:31:21 PM »
I think that you all should allow someone (me? :) ) to provide a guest question to the show. You know, someone from the boards, and particularly a question that is relevant to the week. Just a thought.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, August 02, 2007, 10:33:33 PM »
I'd like to do that.  Post the show topic like a week in advance (or a few days) and let people get some questions in.  The problem is that it would really only be useful in certain shows, I think, and I want to be careful about eating too much time up for the people who are on the show to provide their own insights.  Unless they're stupid and I don't actually want them on the show, in which case I'll just railroad them and never let them speak.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, August 02, 2007, 10:41:26 PM »
Well, it obviously would have to be arranged prior to the show, in the third week we don't need improv situations in the middle of the podcast. :)

It's just something to think about, I'm not going to be able to speak this week because I'll be busy; but I would like to next week if the podcast is looking for a little something extra.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, August 02, 2007, 11:19:18 PM »
I don't know if I want to actually go the PCG podcast/MP3 question route.  That adds more editing time and having to deal with actually making sure what people put up is listenable.  I'll consider this some more and talk to some people about it.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #10 on: Friday, August 03, 2007, 08:17:42 AM »
No worries if it's a hassle, I didn't think about editing times. I'm just throwing ideas out there.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, August 04, 2007, 05:19:45 AM »
What Games We're All Looking Forward To
Instead of doing the "PC Gaming Is Dying" Thread, let's just talk about games making sure that it won't die. There's a lot of those, on their way. I think we should talk about some games we are all looking forward to, which are on the horizon. I think it's always exciting to talk about what's upcoming. I mean, games like The Witcher, Fallout 3, STALKER: Clear Sky, Crysis, Hellgate: London, Id's new game RAGE -- all of these games appeal to me, big time. All of these games I am dying to play -- these ones just can't really come soon enough to suit me. I'd love to hear what games y'all are wanting to come out like....ummm...NOW!

Currently Playing
And of course, we all should we all should talk about what the hell we're currently playing. It's always interesting to hear what everyone's playing and how much they like (or don't like) what they are playing.

"AO" Rating
I think the "AO" stuff is still very relevant, so it's probably worth talking about violence in games. Especially with The Lith is working w/ the ESRB to get Condemned 2: Bloodshot to NOT get "AO" and Rockstar appealing the UK's Rating Board for banning MH2 -- given that, it'll probably be only a matter of time until Rockstar appears the ESRB's rating for MH2 over here in the US.
« Last Edit: Saturday, August 04, 2007, 06:08:57 AM by MysterD »

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, August 04, 2007, 11:25:37 AM »
D, they already talked about Adult rated games in the last podcast, also they always do a "What are you playing?" section before the main segment of the podcast.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, August 04, 2007, 11:31:06 AM »
We might mention the Manhunt 2 appeal in the news segment, but probably wont get into the AO thing again as a topic for a while. But really...theres not much to talk about there. Rockstar is appealing it, and so far thats all anyone knows.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #14 on: Saturday, August 04, 2007, 01:56:13 PM »
Hey D, first listen to the podcasts, then post.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #15 on: Sunday, August 05, 2007, 04:28:12 AM »
Hey D, first listen to the podcasts, then post.
Ummm, I did -- listened to all 3, as soon as they came out.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, August 07, 2007, 12:52:35 AM »
Ummm, I did -- listened to all 3, as soon as they came out.

But you basically outlined the last podcast.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #17 on: Monday, September 03, 2007, 09:56:49 AM »
I wonder what'll be popping up in Podcast #5....

I bet there will be lots of Bioshock and UbiSoft Ads In Free Games Chit-Chat, myself!

Cools

« Reply #18 on: Monday, September 03, 2007, 11:11:32 PM »
Photography? Videography? Bikini hosting? :P

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, January 16, 2008, 05:45:10 PM »
Hey guys, I was thinking that now would be an excellent time to kinda recap next-gen so far.  What's worked, what hasn't, surprises, what's in store, predictions, etc etc.  Kind of a "state of the union" if you will.

As usual I'd love to participate, but since the job change we'd have to do it much earlier than usual.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday, January 16, 2008, 05:50:44 PM »
Would love to have you on again if we were actually doing anything.  Thus far I think real life has gotten in the way.  I know for me personally it pretty much has me by the nads.  Idol has talked to me about trying to do something where we drop some of the extracurricular BS and just focus on a topic, keeping the thing shorter in general.  It's an idea with merit, and we'll likely try that next time we actually do something.  When that will be is hard to say.

If any of the rest of you who've participated (Belmont, Idol, Sy, Pyro, Dan) have any thoughts, feel free to post 'em.  Is anyone interested in doing this again?  Is anybody not interested due to life or other reasons?

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, January 16, 2008, 11:04:30 PM »
Would love to have you on again if we were actually doing anything.  Thus far I think real life has gotten in the way.  I know for me personally it pretty much has me by the nads.  Idol has talked to me about trying to do something where we drop some of the extracurricular BS and just focus on a topic, keeping the thing shorter in general.  It's an idea with merit, and we'll likely try that next time we actually do something.  When that will be is hard to say.

If any of the rest of you who've participated (Belmont, Idol, Sy, Pyro, Dan) have any thoughts, feel free to post 'em.  Is anyone interested in doing this again?  Is anybody not interested due to life or other reasons?

I wouldn't mind doing it again, I wouldn't have much to talk about besides Tabula Rasa, which I've started playing recently.  If we were to stick to one topic for the podcast, it depends on what the topic is before I would be able to say I could join in on it.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, January 16, 2008, 11:34:25 PM »
I'd be down, though I can't really comment on "next gen" first hand. Just the stuff I've seen and heard.

Offline NatchDan

• I object.
    • NatchDan Music
« Reply #23 on: Thursday, January 17, 2008, 12:18:09 AM »
The problem for me is timing - I think you can fairly safely count me out of 'casts until March.
|

Offline NatchDan

• I object.
    • NatchDan Music
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday, July 23, 2008, 01:47:22 PM »
So guys. How 'bout it? I'm free tonight. I can also talk about GH: On Tour, Bullet Witch (hah) and... I dunno, random shit as usual.
|

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday, July 23, 2008, 02:41:13 PM »
So guys. How 'bout it? I'm free tonight. I can also talk about GH: On Tour, Bullet Witch (hah) and... I dunno, random shit as usual.

As long as you don't talk about Smashmouth.

Offline NatchDan

• I object.
    • NatchDan Music
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday, July 23, 2008, 03:02:28 PM »
I can't promise, man.

I can't promise.

Anyhow, I'm on Skype and GTalk.
|

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday, July 23, 2008, 08:46:46 PM »
If only I had the time or energy.  I was just thinking about it today, how much fun it was and how much I miss it.  But with the way work's been going, it's more or less an impossibility.  Hopefully that changes.

I hate the fact that I don't do this as a career, and every time I listen to Games With Jobs Radio, I'm reminded of that in painful detail.  And it does, actually, hurt.  A lot.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #28 on: Sunday, August 24, 2008, 07:57:57 PM »
Podcast idea -- Quake 3: Arena! :)

Offline Dragonlor

• Nii-San!
« Reply #29 on: Saturday, September 06, 2008, 05:30:05 PM »
I just started thinking and we could do sorta what penny-arcade did with their dnd session.  Only problem is some of the members on the forums don't like DnD so it could be nothing but waste of time but it's an idea at least.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #30 on: Saturday, September 06, 2008, 07:42:19 PM »
It would be a fun experiment.  I was thinking of just throwing the recorded on and seeing how it went.

Offline Dragonlor

• Nii-San!
« Reply #31 on: Saturday, September 06, 2008, 07:47:24 PM »
The problem is DnD games can go on for awhile especially if we get distracted with Belmont's dick jokes.  But I think it would be fun to try and to see how people react to it.  Also you never know some people who think it's dumb now will see how fun it is and give it a try.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #32 on: Saturday, September 06, 2008, 08:50:35 PM »
Yeah, could well be.  I can maybe edit out some of the... humor.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #33 on: Sunday, September 07, 2008, 05:44:31 PM »
What happened to this thing?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #34 on: Sunday, September 07, 2008, 05:52:11 PM »
It got to be a much bigger project than I could realistically handle since I'm a perfectionist and want to do all the editing and make it sound at least reasonably professional.  And we had no regular cast, and it was a bit weird trying to just fit people in when they wanted to be part of it, which was an unrealistic idea we should have foreseen as being problematic.

It may still happen at some point, but unfortunately, now isn't the time, at least not unless somebody else is spearheading it.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #35 on: Sunday, September 07, 2008, 06:04:28 PM »
Tsk tsk tsk.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god