Author Topic: Ratchet and Clank or Jak and Dexter?  (Read 3183 times)

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Ratchet and Clank or Jak and Dexter?
« on: Thursday, September 13, 2007, 10:02:46 PM »
Inquiring minds need to know!

Sly Cooper is also pretty cool, but a bit simple.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
Re: Ratchet and Clank or Jak and Dexter?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, September 13, 2007, 10:26:32 PM »
I say Ratchet and Clank because it stayed consistently good. Jak and Daxter kinda wavered in areas with its sequels... although it tried to do more than Ratchet and Clank generally did with more free roaming stuff, it had enough problems to hamper the fun. I never could keep playing J&D2 because it just felt boring after a couple hours.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, September 13, 2007, 11:04:21 PM »
Jak and Dexter 1 was very good, I thought, but the sequels sucked.  Ratchet & Clank is also very good, and got great sequels.  This is definitely the better franchise.  I wouldn't miss either of the debut titles.

Offline Jedi

• Poster Child
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, September 13, 2007, 11:24:36 PM »
Weird I was thinking about these games just the other and how I haven't played anything like them in years!
I think I enjoyed Ratchet and Clank but I think I liked the humor more in Jak and Dexter.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: Friday, September 14, 2007, 12:40:06 AM »
I am on the same boat as Sy and Cobra.  The first Jak and Daxter was really good, but the sequels weren't nearly as good.  Ratchet and Clank was a lot more consistent.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Friday, September 14, 2007, 07:24:28 AM »
I've yet to play much of either one, to be honest.  I picked up the first Jak game so that I could eventually play Daxter on the PSP (which is supposed to be amazingly great), but haven't gotten to it yet.  I've fiddled with Ratchet and Clank, though, and it was good fun... and I also had a lot of fun with the R&C: Deadlocked game that Pyro brought over one of the time he visited.  We played through a bunch of it via coop... was awesome.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, May 26, 2010, 05:00:10 PM »
So, I never bought either game but just picked up Ratchet and Clank: Future something or other for the PS3.  It came with a Dual Shock 3 and the bundle cost about $3 more than a regular DS 3. 

Extra controller: Check
HDMI Cables: Check
Game: Check

Now I just need to wait for  a sweet PS3 bundle.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, February 10, 2016, 08:35:16 PM »
I think I'm now qualified to weigh in on this.  When I first posted this I didn't really know anything at all about either series, but over the last two years or so played a lot of these games.

Ratchet and Clank: Hands down the better series.  I started playing whatever the free game I got with the Dual Shock 3 I mentioned earlier and once I got into it I got into it hard.   Ended up tracking down the other PS3 entries in the series and then the HD Collection of the PS2 games.   This is now one of my favorite franchises and the new game is what will sell me a PS4 - I like the series that much.  Each game has a bit of a unique feel to it, with each having a "gimmick" to keep things fresh and a load of new, crazy weapons along with the old standby favorites.  The level design is great, and there's a lot to see and do. Fuck, I might go back and new game+ all the PS3 games.    The HD trilogy was really fun and it was really interesting to watch the progression of the series from clunky and awkward to just pure awesome. 

Jak and Daxter:  The first game was great.  Cool throw back to platformers, just generally a lot of fun. And then I don't know what the fuck happened.  Jak 2 is like "Poochie: The Game".  The attitude injection is kind of funny more than anything - all of a sudden Jak can talk, sure, I guess....but he's a badass...alright, it was a weird growth period for videogames.  But the GTA style of the world feels like it was thrown together in about 3 minutes.   Fucking terrible.  I stopped playing this in about an hour - I just could not handle it. 

Jak 3 seems a lot better, if only because it's an interesting medium between the two earlier games - a little bit brighter in colour, a little bit lighter in tone.  I actually had no intention of playing through it but the pacing in this game is so fucking good that I can't stop.  I just kind of wanted to laugh at the first little bit of it and all of a sudden I'm probably pretty close to about half way through because every single mission is different, entertaining, and has a hook.   Beyond that, it's interesting to see the progression of Naughty Dog, and Jak 3 really kind of tells the story.  This is the series that really brought them from Crash Bandicoot (Jak 1) to Uncharted (Jak 3).  Just ignore the terrible middle part.

So yeah, in summary:  Ratchet and Clank is way better but Jak has it's moments.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, February 11, 2016, 08:30:10 AM »
Looks like we agree pretty much, then.  I couldn't get into Jak 3 very much, though I agree that it's far better than the horrible second game.  The R&Cs were a consistently good experience.

How are the PS3 games in comparison?  Having skipped that console altogether, I really have no idea what I missed.  Maybe they'll do a PS3 collection on PS4, along with the new game?  That might actually sell me one of them too.

God, has it really been over 8 years since my last post on this?

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, February 11, 2016, 03:14:55 PM »
Totally in agreement.

The PS3 games outshine the PS2 ones as far as I'm concerned.  They're the types of games that really benefit from pure technological advancements:  Crazier weapons, more action on screen, more enemies on screen.  And I found that the gameplay was refined slightly with each iteration.  While Jak and Daxter was constantly reinventing itself over it's three games, it seems like Ratchet and clank was just improving on itself.

The two Future games are both great.   Into the Nexus is kinda short but overall very fun and comes with the free Quest for Booty (which was a standalone level previously).   I haven't played any of the spin-off games but all the main ones are something I'd recommend.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: Friday, April 15, 2016, 09:04:16 AM »
I'm just attaching onto this thread to point out that Ratchet and Clank for the PS4 is getting stellar reviews.   Looks like I'm buying a PS4 as soon as I find out if they're making a weird new one or not.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: Friday, April 15, 2016, 12:25:50 PM »
This and No Man's Sky have have peaked my interest in the system.  But the concern over Sony obsoleting it soon with this "PS4K" (or whatever the hell it is) pushes back the other way.  I need to see where it all goes first.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, February 20, 2018, 10:52:50 PM »
Well, Ratchet and Clank PS4 is completely awesome.  Finished it and almost immediately want to jump back in and do it all over again.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, February 21, 2018, 09:34:31 AM »
Well, Ratchet and Clank PS4 is completely awesome.  Finished it and almost immediately want to jump back in and do it all over again.
Nice. Visuals aside (which are stunning), it's a solid game.