Author Topic: Vertical  (Read 3457 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Vertical
« on: Tuesday, September 26, 2006, 09:06:43 AM »
Download

You are a little ninja dude. You have a grappling hook and can wall jump. For some reason you are inside an infinite, randomly generated tower. What else is a ninja going to do but climb it?

Its suprisingly addictive. Theres no way to know how far you've climbed, and theres no end goal. Just climb. Its really fun when you see whats around you and try to figure out a way up, then pull off some awesome moves to do it.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Vertical
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, September 26, 2006, 09:44:42 AM »
Ninja? Grappling hook? I'm sold!

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, September 27, 2006, 06:46:42 PM »
Ninja? Grappling hook? I'm sold!

Heh. I had a similiar thought.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, September 27, 2006, 08:00:00 PM »
Eh.  I think ninjas are getting more overrated by the day, but this sounds great regardless.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, September 27, 2006, 08:57:46 PM »
Really? Throw Ninjas or Pirates (or Ninja Pirates) into anything and I'm automatically interested :P

Offline shock

• Poster Child
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, September 27, 2006, 09:28:06 PM »
I played that for about an hour.  It is really fun.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, September 27, 2006, 10:02:34 PM »
I don't know, ninjas are just so overdone.  I've grown a lot more fond of the piratical end of the equation.  There are still hardcore ninja games I like, and I was one of the only people here that didn't give up on Tenchu after the second game, but... I think it's just the *idea* of ninjas that gets on my nerves now.  I think I've just played one too many ninja games that took itself too seriously.  I also kind of got sick of stealth games for the same reasons.  Silly things that try too hard to be awesome get on my nerves.  Ninjas can be cool, but everybody always tries too fucking hard.

Anyway, I'm tired and don't really even know what I'm talking about.  I can't believe I'm even awake right now.  I wanted to play Okami tonight so bad, but I only managed a few hours and I have to go pass out.  Ugh.  And then I'll hit the pillow, and it will be fucking morning and I have to go to work.  I don't want to go to work.

Anybody have some peanut butter?  I want peanut butter.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, September 27, 2006, 10:11:32 PM »
Excellent, the coloured rice I placed on the floor of Que's apartment worked! He's hallucinating and fading gently into a deep sleep!

For those who don't get it: in Tenchu you can use an item called "Coloured Rice" by placing it on the ground, and patrolling sentries will pick it up, eat it, and pass out.

For those who haven't noticed yet: I'm really starving for a ninja game!

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, September 28, 2006, 12:07:58 AM »
The problem is that it's so hard to top what's been done with Ninja's already. In a post Ninja Gaiden world you can't really make a more badass ninja and that's all ninjas are really good for. Pirates have the whole fun boozing and acting like a scoundrel thing going for them while ninjas basically just kill things. Still, isn't that just what you want sometimes? I know you can support that, Que.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #9 on: Thursday, September 28, 2006, 12:57:07 AM »
I wonder what is the quintessential pirate game?

For ninjas, you got Ninja Gaiden
For zombies, you got Dead Uprising

What would the pirate game be?

Offline shock

• Poster Child
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, September 28, 2006, 01:01:29 PM »
I don't think Pirates really have a quintessential game so much as a movie: Pirates of the Caribbean.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, September 28, 2006, 01:09:12 PM »
The closest would be Sid Meier's Pirates! or something. Maybe the new Age of Pirates depending on it turns out.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, September 28, 2006, 06:52:57 PM »
Yeah, I think we're really still waiting on the perfect pirate game.  Pirates! is as close as it gets at the moment.  And that's really good, just not quite in the same vein as the others mentioned.

And yes, I heartily support the killing and all.  Again, I think I'm just a little tired of the over-seriousness with which so many of those take themselves.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, September 28, 2006, 07:53:56 PM »
I agree to a certain extent, which is kinda why I've been looking for I-Ninja.. It's more of a cartoony take on it.

I would still really love to play a game that's just as tactical and "realistic" as Splinter Cell except set in feudal Japan with actual ninjas!

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, September 28, 2006, 09:01:15 PM »
I was always a fan of Tenchu: Stealth Assassin on the original PSX.  I remember getting it the first day it was out, just by coincidence.  It was so awesome.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #15 on: Thursday, September 28, 2006, 10:09:13 PM »
Yeah I still have that game :P I play it every now and then on my PSX emulator. I really enjoyed Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven (or "Return From Darkness" as its called on Xbox), it's the only Xbox game I actually bought even though I don't actually own an Xbox :D. Rikimaru is badass too.