Author Topic: Canadians! Read this!  (Read 2570 times)

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
Canadians! Read this!
« on: Tuesday, October 02, 2007, 10:46:45 AM »
I need your help for a project I am doing. Can you guys tell me some tidbits about daily life over there in canada? Like if I were to write about a "Day in the life" of one of you. I need names of chain restaurants, book stores, what the public transportation is called, what the weather is like,  etc. If any of you live or are familiar with Calgary and know any local places, landmarks or chains then that would be even more helpful! Thanks ahead of time!
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
Re: Canadians! Read this!
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, October 02, 2007, 11:44:38 AM »
It's pretty simple. Horse and buggies, working on the farm, colonial times, etc. It's kind of like America was 150 years ago. We pretty much just all wish that we could be American.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, October 02, 2007, 12:52:40 PM »
Someone was asking why Cools disappeared? :P

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, October 02, 2007, 01:05:33 PM »
It's pretty simple. Moose and buggies, working on the farm, colonial times, etc. It's kind of like America was 150 years ago. We pretty much just all wish that we could be American.
Fixed.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, October 02, 2007, 01:30:39 PM »
I need your help for a project I am doing. Can you guys tell me some tidbits about daily life over there in canada? Like if I were to write about a "Day in the life" of one of you. I need names of chain restaurants, book stores, what the public transportation is called, what the weather is like,  etc. If any of you live or are familiar with Calgary and know any local places, landmarks or chains then that would be even more helpful! Thanks ahead of time!

Calgary in particular?

Offline shock

• Poster Child
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, October 02, 2007, 02:24:06 PM »
Silly Keebs, Canadians can't read.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, October 02, 2007, 02:30:32 PM »
Calgary in particular?

doesnt have to be but it would be nice!
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, October 02, 2007, 04:10:17 PM »
Calgary is fucking cold, but the people there like to drink and the girls are sluts for the most part.  There are very frew hippies and that's pretty awesome.  Even more awesome is the fact that everyone hates hippies.  Very few homeless people there because it's far more enjoyable for them to live in the temperate climate of vancouver, where not only are they free to smoke crack, shoot heroin, and snort meth in public, the police would actually rather they do so then drink a beer on the beach or j-walk. 

Tim Hortons is pretty much the only real chain you need to know, the rest are almost all American.  As for landmarks in Calgary - there's Cowboys which has a 25 cent beer night on thursday and the Den which sucks but used to have cheap drinks on fridays.  Oh, and the Bow River and some old ski jump thing that no one has used since the '86 olympics.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, October 03, 2007, 09:41:21 PM »
Calgary is fucking cold, but the people there like to drink and the girls are sluts for the most part.

A fair compromise :P

Dang! I done gone to the wrong part of Canada! Curse you Pug! Why did we not have a road trip to Calgary?!

Offline NatchDan

• I object.
    • NatchDan Music
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, October 04, 2007, 12:22:04 AM »
I'm in Calgary right now, yoes.

You forgot A&W as a major fast food chain with the best root beer on the planet.
|

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, October 04, 2007, 12:36:37 AM »
I'm in Calgary right now, yoes.

You forgot A&W as a major fast food chain with the best root beer on the planet.
Hehe It makes sense! They gotta find a way to keep warm :P

I hate root beer, but A&W's root beer is something else! That is good root beer!

Futureshop is one of the major electronics megastores in Canada (equivalent of Best Buy).

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, October 04, 2007, 05:20:38 AM »
I think Futureshop got bought by Best Buy or something.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, October 04, 2007, 06:18:53 AM »

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, October 04, 2007, 07:24:02 AM »

Yea they're basically the same store, only different.  They tend to open beside each other too, which is kind of baffling.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, October 04, 2007, 08:41:06 AM »
I do believe that is true. I'm pretty certain that Best Buy officially owns the Futureshop franchise and just keeps it around for the sake of customer loyalty and other marketing schemes. It's true, they do seem to open up in neighbouring areas.

I think Circuit City bought Radioshack too and it's now called "The Source by Circuit City" or something. Oddly enough we have a bunch of Raduioshacks here. I think it was just the North American franchise that was bought out.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, October 10, 2007, 08:11:45 PM »
Yeah I spent a horrible few months a couple years ago working as a merchandiser at Futureshop.  It started out as kind of a neccesity, kind of a joke, and then turned into an even bigger one.  Those guys are so scared of confronting employees you can pretty much get away with anything.  I rolled in there late every day and never had a reason.  The best part was that I lived about 3 or less min. away and my boss saw me at the intersection every morning mon-fri.  Then he'd see me take a right while he went straight.  Then he'd see me walk in 15 min. later with a delicious gorumet coffee in my hand.  I have a lot of good stories from working there and I strongly suggest everyone have a job they don't need, don't really want, and don't really care about at least once in your life.

That said, Futureshop is indeed owned by Best Buy and has been for the last few years.  A few years ago Futureshop was embarking on an expansion into the states, while Best Buy was about to open it's first stores in Canada.  The home electronics industry was about to turn into a big war because although Best Buy is a far bigger competitor, Futureshop is big enough that it can get the same pricing deals, but American consumers hadn't caught onto their shit yet (while they were well aware of Best Buy's reputation).

Best Buy figured it'd be cheaper to just buy them out, and they did.  They maintain the two stores because in their minds they are two different brands. They believe Futureshop represents the 'higher grade' store, with commisioned sales people with the 'knowledge' to help you with your questions, while Best Buy hires high school retards.  Don't be fooled, the only thing those mother fuckers know is how to bilk people because they have to considering the high-pressure management tactics.

I'm not the kind of person to not shop at places for any reason other then inconvienience and I try very hard not to deal with either.  They sell convienience more than anything, but I personally find some of their tactics fucking disgusting.