Author Topic: Soldier Of Fortune: Payback - Update: SOF series joins GOG (Reply 28)  (Read 5148 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Last Edit: Monday, October 01, 2018, 03:24:54 PM by MysterD »

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: Soldier Of Fortune: Payback for PC, PS3 and X360
« Reply #1 on: Monday, October 08, 2007, 02:43:45 PM »
Return of the craptastic shooter with gimmicky violence?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Monday, October 08, 2007, 02:55:56 PM »
I wasn't too impressed w/ Double Helix -- namely, the missions in the jungle sucked.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #3 on: Monday, October 08, 2007, 03:33:49 PM »
That was the highlight of the game. It grew worse.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #4 on: Monday, October 08, 2007, 03:42:53 PM »
I heard the multiplayer of SoF2 was actually pretty good.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: Monday, October 08, 2007, 03:44:35 PM »
I played quite a bit of the first one and it was ok.  I played the demo of the second one and it kind of blew. From the looks of the video here, they really need to tone down the blood and gore a little bit.  With the physics it could be a lot of fun to just ragdoll people with grenades and watch their arms fall off, but it looks like every shot will pretty much blow someone apart - pretty weak.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #6 on: Monday, October 08, 2007, 06:31:50 PM »
I've no interest in this (not enough to even click the link), but I thought the first two were okay.  The first was pretty good for its time, and the 2nd did indeed have some good multiplayer.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #7 on: Monday, October 08, 2007, 06:35:56 PM »
I do remember in a patch, they added a bunch of new MP maps for free in the patch.
More companies should do stuff like that in a patch.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #8 on: Monday, October 08, 2007, 07:30:07 PM »
I heard the multiplayer of SoF2 was actually pretty good.
It wasn't.  Talk about a bait-and-switch.  Ant and I played the hell out of the multiplayer demo, which was an office building.  I guess the gameplay was a bit like Counter-Strike or Call of Duty, except awesome.

The real game had that and another building map (a representation of the Raven offices).  The rest were all huge jungle maps where snipers reigned supreme.  It sucked.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #9 on: Monday, October 08, 2007, 10:25:19 PM »
I liked the original SoF. The second one was so-so. The multiplayer is where it shines.

I'm a little amazed the franchise survived, so I'm a curious about how it's gonna be.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #10 on: Monday, October 08, 2007, 11:00:09 PM »
The original was a half decent game.  The second one sucked.

I have no interest in this one.  In fact, I'm surprised the series is still alive.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #11 on: Monday, October 08, 2007, 11:12:18 PM »
After watching the debut trailer I have zero interest in this game. It looks like they're focusing too much on the "gib" factor, deviating completely from the original ideas in the first game. The whole point of the damage system and gore was to make the game seem more realistic. They're just going for the cheap violence gimmick now.

F.E.A.R. got it right.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, October 09, 2007, 02:44:59 AM »
I will probably 'acquire' it at some point out of morbid curiosity.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, October 17, 2007, 04:58:11 PM »
Austraila's OFLC (game rating board) has been "Refused Classification" over in Austrailia -- so, the game will need to recut for Australian board to accept it -- a la what Manhunt 2 in the US is going through with the ESRB.

Australians might want to import then!

I wonder what the ESRB will rate SOF: Payback...

industry news
Soldier of Fortune Gets Refused Classification After All

sofpbnew3.jpgWhen we found out that Activision Value's Soldier of Fortune: Payback was to be pushed back until 2008 here in Australia, we contacted the local Activision HQ to find out what was going on. We were particularly curious as the States is still set for the original November street date.

While we waited for a reply, speculation was rife. One theory was that the Office of Film and Literature Classification (OFLC) had slapped a Refused Classification stamp on SoF: Payback's application. When Activision did get back to us, the response was that it'll too busy pimping CoD4 and Guitar Hero III for the holiday season to give Payback the PR time it deserves.

Those convinced that the OFLC was involved, well, consider yourself vindicated. Tipster Mike let us know late last night that the OFLC has just entered the game into its database, where the infamous "RC" is quite visible.

I'm shaking my head at the fact Activision still gave us the company line even when it knew we'd find out the truth in mere days. Now that's dedication.

Update: Activision has just gotten in touch to let me know that they only just find out yesterday about the RC, so the decision to push the release back was made independent of this. They're just as surprised as we are.

SOLDIER OF FORTUNE: PAYBACK Game (Multi Platform) [OFLC, thanks Mike]

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
Re: Soldier Of Fortune: Payback -- Update: Austraila's Rating Board Rejects Game
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, October 18, 2007, 01:23:33 PM »
Why so much hate for SoF2? I remember a lot of you guys enjoyed this game when it came out, it may not be so great now, but it was fun then. This game has a special place in my heart because of the destructible environments (some) and pain skins...you don't see pain skins anymore.

I remember when I was playing once and I sniped a guy in the forehead. When I went over to look at my handy work I saw a little hole in his forehead and the whole back of his head was gone. How cool is that?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Soldier Of Fortune: Payback -- Update: Austraila's Rating Board Rejects Game
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, November 28, 2007, 08:35:55 PM »
...And Gamespot SLAMS the game.
4.5 from GameSpot

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, November 28, 2007, 09:17:41 PM »
Haha! Is it really THAT bad? Jesus, well goodbye SoF franchise.

Offline Jedi

• Poster Child
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, November 28, 2007, 10:00:03 PM »
I recall playing the first game, it was the first one I bought for my first PC, anyway it was simple and good fun. The sequal well... I gues it was much the same it was fun enough but I didn't enjoy it as much... but to be honest I saw this coming. Something scream sh1t about this game I just don't know what it's not like I was following its development.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #19 on: Thursday, November 29, 2007, 02:47:10 PM »
Maybe b/c it was made by Activison Value...?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #20 on: Thursday, November 29, 2007, 11:11:43 PM »
Oh wow, it wasn't developed by Ravensoft! Shoulda guessed, I generally expect quality from Raven.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #21 on: Thursday, November 29, 2007, 11:34:04 PM »
Raven was always good, solid, and quite consistent.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #22 on: Monday, October 06, 2008, 02:06:13 PM »
I picked this up really dirt cheap for the PC today (among other games at Big Lots, too).

First off...who in their right mind would label a damn tough difficulty like this one I started out with as say "NORMAL?" Are they out of their mind? This difficulty sounds more akin to a "HARD" or "VERY HARD" than anything else; not "NORMAL."

The game throws waves of enemies at you, regardless of difficulty. It's hard to keep up, sometimes -- which is fine. Many shooters have done that before and succeeded -- see Painkiller. Having waves of enemies come at you is not a problem (if the game still runs okay, performance-wise). It's just this game is as tough as nails on NORMAL difficulty. Enemies are not brilliant here with tactics like say a FEAR or a Crytek game, but they definitely have the STALKER syndrome of hardly ever missing. Taking a cue from COD2, if you take too many shots in a row (or a big shot somewhere), you're basically toast. On NORMAL though, this happens very quickly -- b/c they hardly ever miss and b/c you're always flooded with enemies.

This NORMAL difficulty might not be so tough, if there was a Quicksave system you could abuse to highly hell (a la STALKER). Nope, a checkpoint save system is all you got here. With having only a Checkpoint system, this also makes the game ever tougher on NORMAL. Reloading a checkpoint numerous times, for a few hours, can be very aggravating -- to get nowhere or barely to the next checkpoint.

Now, EASY difficulty lets you take a bit more shots for a bit more time. And this difficulty feels about right here for me -- and I'm a veteran at these kind of shooters. A newbie at shooters might find a very good deal of challenge on EASY here, as this game is still challenging a shooter veteran like me quite a bit still. Regardless, a newbie to this game might be wishing there was a "VERY EASY" difficulty listed here.

This PC game unfortunately doesn't have any graphical options you can turn on and off, in case you might be say barely meeting the requirements and wanting to try to get better performance or whatever by turning on or off some features. For graphical options, all you got are resolution sizes, basically -- very lazy there. The graphics and environments look very good though, to say the least -- with lots of full dynamic lighting going on and everything. Looks really good. Regardless, it runs fine on my PC (see specs in my sig) and I have yet to notice ANY slowdowns, so that's a good sign

If you like this kind of old-school action of you're basically just shooting anything that moves and trying to keep up with the explosions and violence, you'll like that as it does it very well. If that's your kind of game, you'll like it. And of course, yes, SOF still has some of the best violence and bloody deaths you'll see on screen -- Payback definitely shows that off no problem. Sound effects are pretty good, as well. Even the music sounds good, surprisingly.

So, what's that leave us with? Eh, the voice-acting is all over the place, so far. The dialogue and script are okay, but nothing to basically blow you away, either -- so far. But still, I'm enjoying blasting anything that walks, watching body parts fly, and looking at the pretty good looking graphics -- now that I'm playing on (a still challenging) EASY difficulty.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, October 07, 2008, 03:09:35 PM by MysterD »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Soldier Of Fortune: Payback -- Update: MysterD's impressions, so far
« Reply #23 on: Monday, October 06, 2008, 10:46:09 PM »
MyD, you really bothered with this?! haha

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #24 on: Monday, October 06, 2008, 10:54:21 PM »
And then bothered to write a post about it.  How sad.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday, October 07, 2008, 05:17:26 AM »
MyD, you really bothered with this?! haha

It was only $6 (then used my 20% off coupon), so I figured, "What the hell? Why not?"
Only game I'm missing in the SOF PC collection is the Original SOF.

You know, usually when a game's $20 or less, I'll give a game a chance. Now, for especially that little bit amount of money, I'll basically try almost anything. If I don't particularly care for the game, I'll just basically uninstall it and throw it aside. No big loss to me, at those kind of prices...

Quote from: Que
And then bothered to write a post about it.  How sad.
Hey, you know I like to write posts about...just about anything! :P
« Last Edit: Tuesday, October 07, 2008, 06:01:30 AM by MysterD »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday, October 07, 2008, 06:29:42 AM »
It was only $6 (then used my 20% off coupon), so I figured, "What the hell? Why not?"
Only game I'm missing in the SOF PC collection is the Original SOF.

Now, for especially that little bit amount of money, I'll basically try almost anything.

You gotta discriminate some time man! haha

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday, October 07, 2008, 09:16:19 AM »
You gotta discriminate some time man! haha

Yeah, sometimes...

But sometimes, you find a diamond in the rough, if you actually give something a chance -- especially if there's been a few patches, the rough part might be gone (technical issues and bugs). See Shadow of Destiny or Culpa Innata. Two games I never would've tried, if they weren't so damn cheap and didn't have patches behind 'em. But, yea -- they're some of the best adventures I've played in recent years.

Sometimes I did wish I did discriminate a little bit. I still can't finish Gothic 3 b/c it's STILL in such a broken state.

EDIT on October 8th, 2008:
So, I finished SOF: Payback (Single Player mode) last night. Overall, it wasn't horrible, yet nothing great, either. It was fairly decent, actually. Action in the game was good, yet the story and voice-acting lacked some quality overall -- especially these days and age. Also, the ending really left it hanging for another one, in case Cauldron and/or Activision plan to put out another SOF game. Let's hope that if there is a next time around, we get much better story-depth and voice-acting, more so than anything else. Oh, and more difficulty options that aren't so punishing to veterans and newbies alike, too.

The Multi-Player mode for Payback is your standard MP stuff -- Death-Match, Team DeathMatch, and Capture The Flag. Nobody was playing any of the other MP game modes, so I didn't try 'em. Again, nothing special, nor nothing horrible on the MP side of things. Standard MP stuff. It's funny that I saw a bit more servers and more players were playing this than actually Gears of War PC. LOL! Yet, of course, Gears PC definitely has the better MP modes, by far, obviously.

It met my friend, uninstall, moments ago. So, time to move on.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, October 08, 2008, 11:59:46 AM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #28 on: Monday, October 01, 2018, 03:24:16 PM »
Soldier of Fortune series joins GOG and its DRM-FREE Club = https://www.gog.com/news/release_soldier_of_fortune_series

Soldier of Fortune 1: Platinum Edition = https://www.gog.com/game/soldier_of_fortune_platinum_edition
Soldier of Fortune 2: Double Helix - Gold Edition = https://www.gog.com/game/soldier_of_fortune_ii_double_helix_gold_edition
Soldier of Fortune 3: Payback = https://www.gog.com/game/soldier_of_fortune_payback