Author Topic: Street Fighter 4 - Update: Ultra SF4 announced; USF4 PC will use ONLY Steamworks  (Read 77033 times)

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
Re: Ken and Ryu will fight again
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, October 17, 2007, 02:18:08 PM »
Hell must have frozen over and pigs must fly because a Street Fighter IV is being made, I never thought that would happen.  That trailer was kind of interesting, I'm more curious about the actual gameplay though.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, October 17, 2007, 06:23:36 PM »
nice! street fighter has to be my favourite videogame series ever, so this pleases me. like belmont, i agree that some gameplay footage is needed though.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, October 17, 2007, 06:49:01 PM »
That was an awesome fucking trailer.  But yeah, it's a little hard to get excited without knowing something of substance.  Still, it could be good news.  I'd love a new SF game.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, October 17, 2007, 08:16:21 PM »
I thought the trailer was pretty good, as well.

Would've been nice to seen some in-game footage.

But, yeah -- it's always nice to see MK and SF still going at it, w/ more new games in their always neverending fighting series.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, December 29, 2007, 04:17:27 PM »
Gameplay footage

I strongly suggest you watch the videos they link to at the bottom of the page so you don't have to watch 5 guys talking about Street Fighter for 20 min. with little 3 sec. clips mixed in.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, December 29, 2007, 04:29:31 PM »
Gameplay footage

I strongly suggest you watch the videos they link to at the bottom of the page so you don't have to watch 5 guys talking about Street Fighter for 20 min. with little 3 sec. clips mixed in.

Awesome, the gameplay looks pretty solid, and I am loving the 2.5D style, I will definitely have to keep my eye on this more, so far I like what I see.  The comments at the end about it being "more offensive for newer players" sort of worry me though because I don't want it to turn into some simplified button mashing shit like the EO mode on Capcom Vs SNK 2 or Marvel Vs Capcom.  Hopefully there is different control sets like there was in Capcom Vs SNK with the different "Grooves", maybe one for Alpha, one for 3rd Strike, and one for Turbo/Championship edition.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, December 29, 2007, 04:34:30 PM »
I don't know that I like the 3D thing.  I wasn't sure I'd care, but watching it... I just sort of missed the old SF style.  I think it might have been cooler had they simply finally done a GOOD modern 2D translation, i.e. something with the graphical prowess of GGX2+ or better.  Still, it could work.  It didn't look bad... just more cartoony than seems "right".

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, December 29, 2007, 11:13:13 PM »
I understand the motivation for the 3D style, but I too miss the classic 2D style of SF. I was expecting, and kinda hoping for, a really hi-res 2D thing going on.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #9 on: Monday, March 10, 2008, 09:45:47 AM »
Chun Li vs Viper

I thought this teaser was particularly artistic.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: Monday, March 10, 2008, 04:02:04 PM »
No doubt.  But has anything changed beyond the window dressing?  I remember similar moves and that same upside-down spinning kick from SF II on the SNES.  Is control a lot better now, or is it the same arcane method of complex button presses and stick swirls?

I'm not objective at all with fighting games like this.  I generally hate them, so I don't appreciate the finer points, which I'm sure have evolved over the last 15 years (or whatever it is).

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: Monday, March 10, 2008, 04:35:42 PM »
Is control a lot better now, or is it the same arcane method of complex button presses and stick swirls?

haha, you do realise the backlash that would happen if the input method changed, right? from what i've seen, it's mostly a cosmetic update. there's a few new characters and a new counter system, but other than that it's the same game. you could only change a very small amount before it wouldn't feel like street fighter anymore - the switch to 3d alone is pretty brave.

i doubt this game will convert any non-SF nuts.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: Monday, March 10, 2008, 05:51:23 PM »
I suppose so.  If the core gameplay is set in stone, then you're right.  There's no way it would convert me.  They could still work in some sort of progressive skill system, analog control, or some other nuance that says you're not just playing a 1993 game with prettier graphics.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #13 on: Monday, March 10, 2008, 09:39:13 PM »
If you changed this stuff, it wouldn't be a fighting game anymore.  I mean not in the same sense.  That stuff is entirely unchangeable because it's basically what defines the game's genre.  Change that, you're changing genres.  A new franchise could do that, or a splinter of an old one if it made it extremely clear that it was a spin-off, but not something like this.  I mean, this isn't archaic stuff.  It's just what fighting games are.  It's like jumping to a platformer.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, March 11, 2008, 02:31:12 AM »
If the controls changed that much it would be a different game altogether. A good example from the Street Fighter Alpha (Zero) series is SF Alpha 3 (Zero 3). For some reason Capcom decided they were gonna change things with this one and they completely overhauled the controls. This did not sit right with people who loved Super Street Fighter 2, Alpha 1, Alpha 2, or Alpha 2 Gold; in which the controls were essentially the same (if you could play one, you could play them all). SFA3 introduced a whole bunch of -isms (which in my opinion is a bad idea for any field of life), changed the super moves and custom combo system, and they even completely fudged the throwing system.

Sorry, I just really hated what they did with SFA3.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, March 11, 2008, 05:48:27 PM »
I understand.  I guess it's a more closed genre than, for example, FPS.  WASD+mouse+trigger are here to stay, but there is a lot that can be added to the basic mechanics.  What I'm hearing from the fighter fans here is that the mechanics pretty much define the genre.  New moves and corresponding input sequences are all that is likely to get added.  I know this kind of game is very popular, disturbingly popular in the 90s.  (I feared it might displace other genres, leaving me high and dry.)  Don't want to upset that huge applecart.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, March 11, 2008, 06:14:10 PM »
The only fighting game I can think of off the top of my head that did things a little differently was Capcom Vs SNK 2 EO.  They had a mode for novice fighters called EO mode where moves could be pulled off a little easier with only the analog stick being moved in a certain direction, sometimes a half or quarter circle, it made things TOO easy though, but it might be something more along the lines you are talking about.  They also had what was called "Grooves", each Groove was for a different control set based on the game series it was from, there was a control set for the Street Fighter games, SF Alpha Games, and others like Samurai Showdown and Fatal Fury so you could pick the best control set that suited you, the grooves also affected how super moves and combos were done.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, May 28, 2008, 01:35:16 PM »
We knew Street Fighter 4 was being planned for the X360 and PS3...
...But there is news that SF4 is ALSO coming to the PC.

PC Street Fighter IV [May 28, 2008, 2:06 pm ET] - Viewing Comments
Next Generation reports an edition of Street Fighter IV for the PC is in the works, in spite of the PC not being considered the ideal platform for fighting games. They say the game will be released "this fiscal year," for the PC, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3. Additionally, they point out the Street Fighter Website has a countdown timer, which reads two day and fifteen plaus hours at this point, so it's possible that another revelation related to the franchise will be made before the end of this week.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: Ken and Ryu will fight again -- Update: They'll even fight on the PC!!!
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, May 28, 2008, 02:13:40 PM »
It makes sense, in a way. SF4 is on the "Taito Type X2" arcade system, which is pretty much a PC in a cabinet. Behold!

Taito Type X2

* CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6400/Pentium 4 651/Celeron D 352 (up to latest Core 2 CPUs supported by the chipset)
    * Chipset: Intel Q965 + ICH8
    * Monitor: 720p/1080p/1440p HD LCD Monitor
    * RAM: DDR2 667/800MHz (512MB/1GB, up to 4GB)
    * GPU: PCI Express x16-based graphics. Support cards include ATI RADEON X1600Pro/X1300LE or nVIDIA GeForce 7900GS/7600GS/7300GS, up to latest graphic cards (Radeon HD 3800 or Geforce 9800 series)
    * Sound: Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 channel Sound (supports add-in sound cards)
    * LAN: 10/100/1000 BASE-T
    * I/O ports: 1x JVS, 4x USB 2.0 (up to 8), 1x serial (max 2), 1x parallel port, 2x PS/2, 2x SATA
    * Audio inputs: AKG C535EB Stage Microphone, line-in (Surround 7.1)
    * Audio outputs: 7.1, SPDI/FX
    * Expansion Slots: 1x PCI Express x16 (used by video card), 1x PCI Express x4, 2x PCI
    * Storage: 2x 80 GB 10k RPM SATA Hard Drives
    * Media: 80 GB 10000 rpm Hard Drive

So it won't take much effort at all to release on PC proper.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Ken and Ryu will fight again -- Update: They'll even fight on the PC!!!
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, May 28, 2008, 03:41:01 PM »
Wow, Idol -- that's pretty cool, actually. :) That does make sense.

Also, It makes sense to bring to the PC, to try and establish a Brawler game presence on the PC. The PC sure could use one -- why not bring one of the best brawler series ever in gaming history over to the PC?

It's not like the series has any competition on the PC, either. This is the perfect chance for Capcom to try something like this, to bring SF4 on the PC, since there is no market really for these games on the market. SF is a big name, which is a help -- and that alone could cause SF4 PC to sell well and create a market for these games, if Capcom does the PC version justice. I hope they do.

Also, X360 gamers have a X360 Controller, that's their main device -- so they can just plug that into the PC, if they wanted to play SF4 on the PC. I don't know how popular the X360 For Windows Controller is for PC gamers (that don't own consoles), in sales. I'd say the X360 For Windows Controller/X360 Controller would be perfect to play that game with on the PC, I'd bet.

Also, I bet SF4 would probably be a blast over The Internet to play and just have all kinds of tournaments and matches and whatnot.

Smart move, if you ask me.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday, May 28, 2008, 07:24:09 PM »
The only fighting game I can think of off the top of my head that did things a little differently was Capcom Vs SNK 2 EO.  They had a mode for novice fighters called EO mode where moves could be pulled off a little easier with only the analog stick being moved in a certain direction, sometimes a half or quarter circle, it made things TOO easy though, but it might be something more along the lines you are talking about.  They also had what was called "Grooves", each Groove was for a different control set based on the game series it was from, there was a control set for the Street Fighter games, SF Alpha Games, and others like Samurai Showdown and Fatal Fury so you could pick the best control set that suited you, the grooves also affected how super moves and combos were done.

EO is so frowned upon by the community though.  The PS2 version is considered the "definitive" one to own because it lacks the EO newbness.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
Re: Ken and Ryu will fight again -- Update: Street Fighter 4 Trailer linked
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, December 10, 2008, 07:36:52 AM »
I preordered the collectors edition for ps3 yesterday, and also dropped a preorder on one of the 150 dollar uber sticks coming out for it.

I hope I'm not broke come february.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday, December 10, 2008, 03:55:12 PM »
Looks good.  Unfortunately, I don't like fighting games.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday, December 10, 2008, 04:36:08 PM »
I preordered the collectors edition for ps3 yesterday, and also dropped a preorder on one of the 150 dollar uber sticks coming out for it.

the top end stick looks nice. absolutely no way i can justify going for that one! i'm more at home with a pad for fighting games anyway. not entirely sure what to make of the madcatz sf4 pads yet - the d-pad looks a bit iffy. have to wait for some reviews, i guess. i just wish capcom had given the peripheral licence to nuby again.

i mean, compare the two...

old:

new:

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday, December 10, 2008, 06:14:51 PM »

If you have $150 to waste on an arcade stick and aren't broke, I will hate you.  Forever.  And ever.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday, December 10, 2008, 07:34:13 PM »
the top end stick looks nice. absolutely no way i can justify going for that one! i'm more at home with a pad for fighting games anyway. not entirely sure what to make of the madcatz sf4 pads yet - the d-pad looks a bit iffy. have to wait for some reviews, i guess. i just wish capcom had given the peripheral licence to nuby again.

i mean, compare the two...

old:

new:

Actually one of the employees that's heading up the stick/pad development at Madcatz is an active member at Shoryuken.com and is working closely with Seth Killian at Capcom to develop these things.  The 150 dollar sticks will contain EXACTLY what is in the arcade machines.  All Sanwa parts.

The pads are meant to replicate the Saturn pads, which are widely considered the best fighting game pads ever.  They've also been tested by srkers at open house events and they have nothing but good things to say about them.

The nuby pads sucked, btw.  Horrible dpad.

So yeah, I was initially shocked that Madcatz was developing these things.   However, they really seem to be in good hands, and are catering to the right people.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday, December 10, 2008, 07:36:08 PM »
If you have $150 to waste on an arcade stick and aren't broke, I will hate you.  Forever.  And ever.

Normally it wouldn't be an issue.  I've been salivating over this thing for a year.  It's just that the fiancee is graduating and moving in with me.  Being an education major, finding a job in the middle of the semester could be a little difficult.  That's really the only caveat to all of this, unless the economy dropkicks me in the face and I lose my job...

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #28 on: Thursday, January 29, 2009, 01:45:04 PM »
So the excitement continues.  Zangief's alternate costume is Mike Haggar's from Final Fight

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #29 on: Thursday, January 29, 2009, 01:50:58 PM »
Actually one of the employees that's heading up the stick/pad development at Madcatz is an active member at Shoryuken.com and is working closely with Seth Killian at Capcom to develop these things.  The 150 dollar sticks will contain EXACTLY what is in the arcade machines.  All Sanwa parts.

The pads are meant to replicate the Saturn pads, which are widely considered the best fighting game pads ever.  They've also been tested by srkers at open house events and they have nothing but good things to say about them.

The nuby pads sucked, btw.  Horrible dpad.

So yeah, I was initially shocked that Madcatz was developing these things.   However, they really seem to be in good hands, and are catering to the right people.

based on both the saturn pad emulation and the shoryuken.com linkage, i'm happy - i'll have to get one these now. as for the nuby pads sucking, that's a surprise. i never used one, but they looked kind of badass.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #30 on: Thursday, January 29, 2009, 04:08:34 PM »
I've never been huge on fighting games, but I'm kind of getting excited about this one. I'd definitely need a fightpad though. I tried playing a few fighters on my Xbox and couldnt' do it, I had to buy a converter to use a PS2 controller instead.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #31 on: Sunday, February 08, 2009, 06:58:31 AM »
Worst DLC News:
Capcom details a bunch of their upcoming "Horse Armor" type of DLC for Street Fighter 4 -- in which they'll be popping new costumes for (eventually) all 25 fighters.
Every week for 5 weeks, they'll pop out one new pack with new costumes for 5 fighters -- all priced at $3.99 or 320 MS Points per pack; or you could buy them all at once later for $20.

Best DLC news:
There will be a FREE new Championship Mode DLC coming to add some new features, as well.

News Blog Header
Capcom details first SFIV DLC

* Posted Feb 6, 2009 2:30 pm PT
    * By TomM_GScom
    * 79 comments

Back in 2006 when downloadable content was still a largely unknown and unproven business model, Bethesda Softworks elicited both sneers and jeers with its $2 horse armor for The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. Now it is 2009, and Capcom has decided to revisit the question of what the upper threshold is for how much gamers are willing to pay for purely aesthetic accoutrements.

This week, Capcom delivered news on the first round of downloadable content for Street Fighter IV. Beginning day-and-date with the game's launch on February 17, Capcom plans to roll out alternate costume packs for each of the 25 World Warriors. Packs will be released at a rate of one per week, and each set will cost an eyebrow-raising $3.99 (320 Microsoft points), or $20 for the lot.

Capcom also has in the works a round of free--not to mention substantive--DLC. Dubbed the Championship Mode Expansion Pack, the free DLC adds in a Replay mode in which players can record and distribute their fights online; two new points systems for skill ranking; and a tournament matching system, in which players are pitted against one another based on their skill level. Capcom did not reveal when the Championship Mode Expansion Pack would be available.

For more information, check out GameSpot's previous coverage of Street Fighter IV. The release schedule for the premium alternate-costume packs is listed below.

2/17 - Brawler Pack: Zangeif, E. Honda, Rufus, El Furete, and Abel
2/24 - Femme Fatale Pack: Chun-Li, Cammy, Sakura, Rose, and C. Viper
3/3 - Shoryuken Pack: Ryu, Ken, Akuma, Gouken, and Dan
3/10 - Shadowloo Pack: Seth, M. Bison, Sagat, Balrog, and Vega
3/17 - Classic Pack: Guile, Dhalsim, Fei-Long, Blanka, and Gen

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: Street Fighter 4 -- Update: All kinds of DLC announced; some free, some not...
« Reply #32 on: Sunday, February 08, 2009, 07:05:10 AM »
Sex sells.  Girlie dress up > horse dress up.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Street Fighter 4 -- Update: All kinds of DLC announced; some free, some not...
« Reply #33 on: Sunday, February 08, 2009, 07:51:29 AM »
You trying to say the "Femme Fatale" DLC pack will be the only costume pack that'll sell? :P

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: Sunday, February 08, 2009, 08:34:12 AM »
I'm saying it will sell much better than the others.  They're all equally unworthy of anything other than being given away for free, but plenty of idiots constantly justify this business model.  Most of them are young and horny.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #35 on: Sunday, February 08, 2009, 08:36:31 AM »
Sex sells.  Girlie dress up > horse dress up.

Holy thunder thighs, Batman!

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: Sunday, February 08, 2009, 08:46:19 AM »
 ;D  Chun Li is known for her hamhocks.  Dorothy Hamil would be proud.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #37 on: Sunday, February 08, 2009, 10:24:32 AM »
It's really funny how backward it is.  The DLC with actual substance is coming for free.  The entirely optional bullshit that doesn't affect anything is what actually costs money.  Why aren't all the little gimmes free and the real meaty updates what cost money?  That's just... odd.

Offline beo

• Veteran
Re: Street Fighter 4 -- Update: All kinds of DLC announced; some free, some not.
« Reply #38 on: Sunday, February 08, 2009, 10:25:14 AM »
half decent review and comparison of all the SF4 madcatz products...

http://www.gamepro.com/article/features/208590/the-standard-edition-and-fightpad/

It's really funny how backward it is.  The DLC with actual substance is coming for free.  The entirely optional bullshit that doesn't affect anything is what actually costs money.  Why aren't all the little gimmes free and the real meaty updates what cost money?  That's just... odd.

because you bought horse armour, que. no we haven't forgotten.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #39 on: Sunday, February 08, 2009, 10:37:26 AM »

I agree.