Author Topic: Super Mario Galaxy  (Read 7912 times)

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
Super Mario Galaxy
« on: Wednesday, November 07, 2007, 07:06:40 PM »
So the reviews are starting to roll in, and they're just about as favorable as it gets. It's nice to see the game actually delivered. All the other reviews I've seen have been just as glowing as well.

I'm actually getting excited about the game ahead of time, a rare thing lately. I've preordered a copy, but with slow shipping, so I won't be playing for a bit of time (probably for the better considering my schedule next week).

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re: Super Mario Galaxy
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, November 07, 2007, 08:08:30 PM »
Wait, this game came out?  I've been dying for a good Mario platformer.  For some reason, I thought Super Paper Mario would deliver on that a little but it just made me want Galaxy more.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, November 07, 2007, 09:53:50 PM »
9.5 on Gamespot. Wii craving... rising.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, November 07, 2007, 10:06:02 PM »
Damn it to hell.  I really liked the look of it, and I knew I was going to want it really bad if it turned out cool.

Damn you, Mario.  You stupid little moustachey bastard.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, November 07, 2007, 10:09:45 PM »
Yeah...this might be the game I get a Wii for. The temptation is very strong...

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, November 07, 2007, 10:45:44 PM »
Aw, damn.  I had pretty much made up my mind about the Wii, and now this comes along to upset things.  Maybe next year, if they can be found in stores by then.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, November 07, 2007, 10:59:50 PM »
9.5 on Gamespot. Wii craving... rising.

And a review from the one cool guy still doing regular reviews at Gamespot as well. That means the score has a great chance of actually being valid. Awesome.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, November 08, 2007, 12:13:06 AM »
Another game to add to the many big games being released in the next two weeks.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, November 08, 2007, 09:02:58 AM »
I downloaded the high-res version of the video review, and I've been staring at it repeatedly.  *Drools*  I know the Wii is limited to 480p res max, but this game is designed for 16:9.  Just a horizontal stretch to get it there, I would hope?  Or do you have to do a full zoom to get it to fill a wide screen?  Anyone with a Wii know the answer?

Does that make sense?  In other words, does it use the full 480 vertical res, or is it letterboxed for a 4:3 screen only, which would require X and Y stretching to get rid of all the black space on a 16:9 TV (and look like shit in the process)?

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, November 08, 2007, 09:41:22 AM »
I have no idea.  I use my Wii on a 4:3 TV.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, November 08, 2007, 10:37:25 AM »
The Wii supports 16:9 TVs.  It's in the Wii Options, TV Set Up.  You can also set it up to 480i or 480p.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, November 08, 2007, 10:53:18 AM »
Thanks.  That confirms what dawned on me as I downloaded and watched the 640x360 FLVs at IGN for like an hour.  Some of those show the player and a widescreen TV displaying the game.  It's clear to me now that the Wii does its own internal support for HD, even if the games are rendered to 480p.  I should have thought of that, since it's inconceivable that Nintendo didn't.  (D'oh!)

I really want this damn game now.  Shit.  Those are awesome movies.  One of them is the entire intro to the game (83 MB).

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2007, 11:34:30 PM »
Alright, well I got the game surprisingly early. Apparently EB sent it UPS Next Day even though I paid for the shipping option that usually involves strapping the package to a man with very tiny legs and having him walk across the country. Having it here, I couldn't resist.

The game is something pretty special. The thing I think I love the most so far is just how out there the whole experience is. If Mario was just a metaphor for mushroom induced hallucinations before, then this is just a flat out mushroom induced hallucination. It's glorious in the absurdity of it all and just revels in it. It really allows the game to just go all out and be crazy and fun. Really, I'm reminded of how Serious Sam just went crazy with the mechanics of a basic FPS and let you have a good time. Galaxy is basically doing that with the platformer.

Of course, this is just after a hour and a half, but it feels like if the intro levels are this fun the later ones are going to be insane.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2007, 11:42:18 PM »
The premise for Mario Galaxy begins in fairly well-worn territory. Mario receives a note from his beloved Peach to come to the castle, for she has a special "gift" for him.  ;) ;) ;)

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, November 15, 2007, 12:41:02 AM »
I never did play it today.  It got here today (Wed), as you know if you read my Wii thread.  I spent too much time messing around with the Wii's features.  I'll get into it tomorrow.

Edit:  The reason I posted this is that syrean's comments intrigued me.  I want to play right now, but I'm too tired.  I'll dream of mushrooms, or something.
« Last Edit: Thursday, November 15, 2007, 01:01:21 AM by Cobra951 »

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: Thursday, November 15, 2007, 12:02:30 PM »
DAmn it, why did I watch that?

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, November 15, 2007, 02:47:25 PM »
Neato.  I played for a couple of hours.  Not only is the game a new experience, but so are the controls, and controllers.  It took me a while to feel comfortable with it all.  The double-fist approach is similar to a normal controller in both hands, but not quite the same. 

The gravity thing is the one real new dynamic.  It's not hard at all to follow, but it does mess with your head a bit.  3D Mario wrapped around different shapes, basically.  The Wiimote pointing and shaking works fine.  It's fairly easy so far, and I'm glad too.  It's giving me a chance to get used to it.  One thing I miss is camera controls.  Many places you can press, er, the round button on the nunchuck to reset the camera somehow.  (I don't know what all the controller functions are called yet.)  It usually gets behind you, but sometimes it ends up showing the action from the side instead.  And then there's the time when it insists on turning everything upside down.  That bugs me.  I end up running around the sphere or similar shape until a button press shows the action right-side up.  After that, it stays right side up even after running anywhere on the sphere and pressing the button again.  Weird.  But despite this, I still wish there was a camera rotate function attached to left and right on the D-pad, or maybe even the Wiimote pointer while holding down a special button.  According to a long series of internal Nintendo interviews on the game, the decision to take away camera control was a deliberate one to simplify gameplay.  Bah.  Give players the option, like Mario 64 did.  Those susceptible to vertigo or who don't want to bother can choose auto-cam.

Just nitpicking, though.  Lovely game.  I'll have more to say after I get further into it.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: Friday, November 16, 2007, 10:54:35 PM »
I'm up to 22 stars collected, and 3 planetary systems open.  (I get confused about what they call a galaxy.  The term means something infinitely smaller here than *out there*.)  It's rightfully called the spiritual successor to Mario 64.  Much of the philosophy and gameplay is similar, though often wrapped around huge jellybeans and such.  I even discovered that I can rotate the camera with the D-pad in some places, 90 degrees per step just like in 64.  But camera control remains way less flexible than in 64, and imho is the game's worst weakness.  There are levels which will be frustrating initially only because of the unyielding camera.  Then you get used to compensating for it, and all is well.  This aside, the game is simply fabulous.  Superlative.  Mario 64 was the innovator.  This takes the concepts, warps them, and runs with them a long way.  There are a few new mechanics, made possible and desirable by the amazingly precise pointing and motion-sensing tech in this controller.  I was skeptical about it.  Not anymore.  (But do prepare to stock up on AA alkalines.  My first pair of batteries already shows about 40% drain.)  You pilot a manta ray down a water course by twisting the remote left and right.  The angle of the banking onscreen is spot on with your wrist.  You run on top of a sphere with the remote held like a joystick.  As intuitive as it gets, once you understand that the game really wants you to hold the thing like a vertical stick.  (Took me a while to get it.)

Aside from the occasional clipped poly or pop-in, it's all as pretty as I'd expect from the resolution (so called extended definition, 480p).  That's shouldn't be news.  If it is, go check out the 640x360 vids at ign.com and Gamespot's hi-res video review.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: Saturday, November 17, 2007, 02:29:47 PM »
You're at about the same place I am then (or you were at the same place, I was at 21 last night and you might be higher now).

I have a feeling a lot of the camera stuff was held back mostly around the places with all the wall and ceiling walking. Disorientation is part of the equation there and rotating the camera along only horizontally doesn't' do you a lot of good. The thing is there's so many places where you go crazy with walking around roundish objects that you don't have the opportunity to use the camera much.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: Saturday, November 17, 2007, 03:14:56 PM »
Nah, I only got to 25 after that, then I had to get some sleep.  The last thing I did was this race played by pulling yourself along those blue star-like things which float you inside a bubble and attract you toward the one you're "grabbing".  I won't give any details, but it was way tough.  Eventually, I got the hang of it, discovered some other particulars I won't spoil, and I managed to win.

I understand about the places where you suddenly switch orientation.  But that's hardly the only time that the camera has a (sometimes stupid) mind of its own.  As long as you're out in the open, and gravity changes smoothly (you're not inside a cube or something), it's very possible to give you control.  All they need to know is the gravity vector (like an arrow pointing straight to wherever down is, through Mario's body) and use it as the axis for camera rotation.  Oftentimes, when on a spherical (or similar) landscape, you end up looking at the world sideways or upside down, and it's a bitch to get the camera to right itself, let alone get it behind you.  Worst of all for me seems to be underwater.  In 64, you had choices, one of them glued to Mario's back.  The only perspective they kept is the distant one, which still behaves like I remember it in 64.  If you make any sudden turns, you end up turning around and swimming toward the camera or some other random direction.  After that, you're disoriented until you sort it all out.  If you get on a shell, though, then the swimming camera behaves exactly as it should at all times.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #20 on: Saturday, November 17, 2007, 03:31:25 PM »
Oftentimes, when on a spherical (or similar) landscape, you end up looking at the world sideways or upside down, and it's a bitch to get the camera to right itself, let alone get it behind you.

That's what I mean though. You're supposed to see the world sideways or upside down in the crazier landscapes. If you didn't then part of the fun of having round worlds would be lost (at least partially). What's the point of gravity defying landscapes if you're aways looking at it in a normal way?

I will agree that the camera isn't as free on the more traditional areas as it should be, however. Several times I've moved to give myself what I thought was a better view of an area only to be denied the ability. The rules don't always seem to be consistent either. Sometimes out of curiosity I've checked the camera options and I've had full control. Other, similar areas give me nothing. Like, the Bee Galaxy, you can't rotate the camera from what I remember yet the area is pretty traditional. But then, I went back for another star later and I think I was able to rotate the camera.

I really haven't been to a water filled area yet, so I can't say much. I'm surprised to hear the back camera in such areas is gone. I don't think I ever bothered with any other camera modes in Mario 64 while swimming.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: Saturday, November 17, 2007, 06:17:27 PM »
Yeah, me neither.  It is behind you, but it's distant and follows you lazily.  If you change direction too quickly, you can turn around to face it, and the lock is lost until you reestablish it.  But just today I found out that you can reset the camera underwater with C.  It will go behind you again, so it's not all that bad.

I see what you're saying about having a crooked perspective as part of the challenge.  I tend to think that the camera should not be used like that.  First-person is bad for platforming, but that doesn't mean that 3rd person should lose all relation to your orientation.  Your view into the world should still be close to what the 1st-person would be.  And in any case, you should have control over it whenever possible.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #22 on: Saturday, November 17, 2007, 10:23:45 PM »
I would probably agree with you about the camera on most game, but here I think it works in it's own way. The annoying thing to me is that in places where you do have control over it, it seems less responsive to commands than it should be, but I'm figuring out the "rules" that make that the case. For example, you have to be in a complete stop to go into the first person mode or that the camera has a rather large "no go" zone. So if you're anywhere near a wall the camera won't move in that direction at all rather than try to hug it a little more.

Tonight Aimee and I tried out the two player mode and it's kinda cute. The way I see it, it's basically there so if someone is watching you play they don't have to be completely impassive. They get their own pointer star and can do whatever you can with the star. Thankfully, you still get your own so you don't have to rely on them. The second person can also hold enemies in place and tap you to make you jump or give you a little boost while in the air, which is basically like you just spinning while in the air so you don't really get anything extra out of it. I think the idea is if they see you won't make a jump and you don't realize it, the second player can save you. We made a little rule that she can't tap me unless I ask for it, and it's fun. Aimee gets to watch and have a little more fun with it.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: Saturday, November 17, 2007, 11:09:12 PM »
That's great that you 2 play together.  I could never get my wife interested in games.

I discovered the mid-air spin purely by accident.  I use it a lot now.  Hey, how do you beat those little round frozen blue fuckers?  Man, they were pissing me off just a while ago.  This was in Freezeflame (clever) Galaxy.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #24 on: Saturday, November 17, 2007, 11:13:06 PM »
Shoot them with a star bit. I'm not remembering if they actually die, but at the very least they gone down long enough for you to get by and not be bothered by them again.

Aimee and I don't play stuff together all that often. Sometimes she'll watch me play something on TV, but that's also pretty rare too... but I think that's more of a result of me not playing very many console games in the past year or two and her current schedule.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #25 on: Sunday, November 18, 2007, 12:06:52 AM »
I'm lucky that Julia likes games as much as she does.  We played through several games that had coop modes together, and we have a few more that we're probably going to try before too long.  It took her a little while to get back into things since she hadn't played much of anything since her Super Nintendo, but there's just so much game crap around our house it's pretty hard to ignore it for long.  She's put quite a few under her belt in the last couple years.  She's on Dragon Quest VIII now.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday, November 21, 2007, 01:08:31 PM »
Quote from: Gameshark
Underwhelming multiplayer is easily overlooked; however, issues with the camera are harder to forgive. Maintaining simple control over the view or providing a faultless automatic camera is a must for platform games and Super Mario Galaxy falls flat in this regard. Everything else works wonderfully.

I don't usually read Gameshark, but that quote caught my eye over at Metacritic.  It's how I feel about the game, reduced to lowest terms, now that I've "finished" it with 89 stars.  Nearly 100% of the time that I felt frustration instead of enjoyment, the cause was my inability to look at the action from a good perspective.  It's impossible for a developer to know what a good perspective is for everyone playing a game of this kind.  Some like a side view, others want to be directly behind their little jump man.  Sometimes a diagonal perspective is helpful.  That's why it's imperative to provide the player with the choice whenever possible.  Due to the warped nature of the gameplay, it's not always possible.  However, SMG has a mind of its own about the camera most of the time, including on traditional levels that could have easily been a part of Mario 64 (with crappier graphics).  Even on smooth wraparound terrain, it's very possible and not much harder to provide the traditional Mario 64 rotating camera & chase perspectives.  (I talk about that above somewhere.)  Unfortunately, the fault is worse than a sin of omission.  Too often, the perspective will swing wildly as you run across a level, making the act of moving in a straight line a gratuitous challenge.  Sometimes you have no choice but to walk and jump blindly toward the screen because someone decided you would never want to walk or jump that way, or just didn't think about it.  That's the point.  It's a fully open 3D world, and it's up to the player to decide which way to go, and to look, not up to the developer to restrict it.

I needed to get that said.  Aside from this sticky, unfortunate problem, the game is fantastic.  Technically, near perfect.  The frame rate never wavers from 60 fps (480p), never loses sync with the monitor (no shearing, no stuttering, no jittering).  Rarely, you will see a clipped polygon or an object suddenly pop in in the distance.  The control, also near perfect.  It's a bit more difficult to follow narrow paths at all sorts of changing angles than I remember in 64.  That may be more related to holding the nunchuk with one hand than anything else, but I'm not sure yet.  There are so many different actions, and they all work as they should.  The artwork, impeccable.  The level design, devious, highly creative, and quite varied.  The enemies, as varied as ever.  Same goes for Mario's powerups.  The challenge, perfect.  It's fairly easy to complete enough to get to the end, but the difficulty ramps up quite a bit to go beyond that, culminating in challenge levels where you take on a boss again, and only one hit will kill you.  The normal-mode bosses are as challenging as I'd care to take on in a 3D Mario, which is to say not so hard that I'll pull what's left of my hair out, but certainly heart-pumping.  The audio, excellent.  Very little speech, and frankly, I could do without any.  Charles Martinet grates on my nerves.  The original music is perfect for the game.  You'll also hear most of the tunes from the whole Mario series at one point or another.  The sound effects are pristine.

What am I missing?  Length?  You can play this forever, although I don't know that you'd want to.  Getting every one of the 120 stars is a huge challenge, both in terms of skill and exploration.  High scores per stage are coin-based, and you lose all your coins whenever you lose a life.  So to get the highest possible scores, you need not to die, not once.  Then there's what has been called "the ultimate unlockable".

(click to show/hide)

I went through a set of AA alkalines on this game, and I'm not close to really done.  (I'll rant about freaking wireless controllers without any good power options in the Wii thread.)  I hope the other few good games on the system don't feel like letdowns after the experience.

Edit:  I think this summarizes the problem perfectly, although I don't agree that all the difficulty comes from the camera.

Quote from: Gameshark
Odd camera angles do more than instill awkwardness into the levels; they also raise the level of difficulty. Simple actions such as jumping on a goomba are surprisingly difficult when traversing the spherical surface of a miniature planet. Enemies sometimes appear from seemingly out of nowhere, items are hard to locate, and the controls frequently invert when running upside or on walls. Getting used to the constantly shifting perspective is the game's greatest challenge. The levels themselves never seem difficult--in fact, it's always apparent what needs to be done--but the funky camera transforms simple sequences into awkward tasks.

http://www.gameshark.com/reviews/2830/Super-Mario-Galaxy-Review.htm
« Last Edit: Wednesday, November 21, 2007, 01:54:33 PM by Cobra951 »

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday, November 21, 2007, 07:35:07 PM »
I can't claim the camera has bothered me nearly that much. I've had a couple fleeting moments, but that's pretty much it. Maybe I'm just closer to what the designers envisioned as the general player. Either that, or the past decade has taught me to deal with cameras to the point where it really takes a bad one to throw me off. It's probably a good chunk of the later.

I topped about 50 stars the other day and progress is slow because I've been trying to really clear out levels, which includes some of the really hard comet challenges. The one life boss on the haunted house level took some doing, but I managed to get it after about thirty minutes. I want to get the full 120 (at least). I managed to get all 150 on Mario 64, without a guide, and I'd like to follow suit here. Actually, we'll see if I can stay interested long enough or have enough time to do it before the affair gets stretched out into months and I just walk away. It's more of a matter of getting it done before too long than actually being bored with the game after so many actual play hours.

In terms of clearing out levels, is there a star linked to getting so many coins or star bits? That was the case in Mario 64 and I think Sunshine, so I assume here... unfortunately. Those were always my least favorite stars to get. I haven't gotten a star from coins yet, but I really haven't tried yet either.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday, November 21, 2007, 08:03:01 PM »
I'm so glad that I have the lovely SM64 that I never really got to play before to make me not want to kill all of you right now.  Otherwise... well, I'd totally want to kill you.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday, November 21, 2007, 08:33:29 PM »
I've gathered some camera-following skills since 3D platformers came about.  It's not that I can't adjust to the changing angles.  Whatever.  It's not worth an argument, or a black mark against the game.

I don't think there are 100-coin stars in SMG.  I have heard something about purple-coin missions, but I need to go a bit further to find out what that is about.  Unlike Mario 64, getting even 25 coins in most stages has been tough.  I don't know.  I sure hope I don't have to chase 100 per normal stage, because it doesn't seem possible.

The Bouldergeist guy with 1 hit has been impossible for me.  If I can't beat him, I can't get to 120 stars, so that takes some wind out of my sails.  I beat the spinning disk dude this way, but that was much easier.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday, November 21, 2007, 10:05:00 PM »
Yeah, that's what also worried me about coins. Usually I tend to walk out of a level with about ten coins, rarely more. In one of the haunted house levels I walked out with about 60 thanks to a loaded hidden room, but that was one out of 50 or so stars.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday, December 05, 2007, 10:54:59 PM »
Well, I did it. I got the 120 stars tonight and unlocked the Luigi mode... now if I'm going to get the 120 all over again, well, that's a good question.

For the most part, getting all the stars isn't all that bad. Of course there are a few really hard ones (mostly related to the purple comet stars), and a few frustrating parts that pushed even my tolerance of the camera. When you push a game that far, you can't expect everything to be perfect and once you get to the levels only completest go for it's not longer about simply being fun, you know? I'm sorta thinking I'm going to go for the 120 stars with Luigi, but I need a break. The last 20 or so were pretty rough and while the sense of accomplishment was pretty up there on a few of them, I need to put the game down for a little.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday, December 05, 2007, 11:04:40 PM »
Impressive.  But good for you.  It brings back memories of the Sy I knew who lived and breathed games even more than I did.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: Thursday, December 06, 2007, 02:02:27 AM »
I cheated.  I got 110 stars with Mario, then decided the rest were too fucking frustrating.  I don't think I would have ever beaten Bouldergeist in the daredevil one-hit mode, and they can kiss my ass with that purple-coin challenge in Battlerock.  So I downloaded a game save with 120 stars for Mario, and went after Bowser.  That was a fun fight.  Got the ending, and unlocked the bro.

Luigi plays a bit differently, and takes some getting used to.  He moves faster and jumps higher.  He also skids a long way, so you have to be careful.  It's like he has greased soles.  Another thing is that the races against cosmic Luigi are like 10 times harder than the Mario ones.  I got to 100 stars with him, then beat the game again.  I'm done for now.  I really do need a break from it, particularly because my tolerance for the camera issues is a lot lower than sirean's.

Edit:  Oh, and my hat is off to you, sirean.  Congrats man.  If you can do it with Luigi, you are da masta.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #34 on: Thursday, July 23, 2009, 05:16:44 AM »
Resurrecting an old thread.

I've been playing this for the passed week and managed play through the last galaxy and beat bowser. Damn good Mario game, the controls were something I worried a little bit going into it, but I got used to it quicker than I thought. I actually found it amazing how natural the controls ended up feeling, especially for a platformer thats doing what its doing. Kudos to Nintendo for pulling that off. Everything else is up to the usual Nintendo polish, which is great. Really loved the music too, I want a soundtrack. 

I managed to get every star up to the bowser fight: all the hungry lumas, comet challenges, trial stars, and hidden stars. I think I'm going to pass on doing the purple coin stars since I could care less with playing it through again with Luigi, I got what I wanted out of it and checked out all the galaxies it has to offer. So here's another one crossed off the list.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: Thursday, July 23, 2009, 06:19:44 AM »
Luigi handles differently.  You may want to try it.  When I played the game, it was possible to download save files.  After finishing as much as I cared to finish in the Mario game, I downloaded a save ready to move on into the Luigi game.  This may still be possible, depending on Wii software updates since then.

Edit:  . . .and I talk about that in my last post too.  Been a while.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #36 on: Thursday, July 23, 2009, 07:51:36 AM »
I just got enough stars to fight Bowser and finish the game.  I'll grab the rest of the stars later.

But really the game is an absolute joy to play.  If Nintendo got one thing right this gen with us old schoolers, it was SMG.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #37 on: Thursday, July 23, 2009, 10:08:11 AM »
I too recently finished this game up and got all 120 stars with Mario.  Definitely quite a good game.  Some of the purple coin challenges were a little annoying, but at least this time around a Nintendo game isn't a complete pushover in difficulty.

I tried Luigi for a bit, but I didn't feel compelled to play the game a second time with a different character, and I really don't see myself going through it again.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #38 on: Thursday, July 23, 2009, 10:24:08 PM »
I haven't had the time for games lately, but I really did enjoy what I played of SMG.  Very fun game to just pick up and play for a while.  Makes you feel happy.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #39 on: Saturday, July 25, 2009, 05:25:52 AM »
I wish they would make a game that was nothing but levels like those "no pack" stages in Super Mario Sunshine.  SMG was great, but not the same.