Author Topic: deus ex 3!  (Read 41466 times)

Offline beo

• Veteran
deus ex 3!
« on: Monday, November 26, 2007, 01:56:44 PM »

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: deus ex 3!
« Reply #1 on: Monday, November 26, 2007, 02:02:19 PM »
My first reaction was wheeee... my all time favorite title being given another go... But that was followed by caution when I remembered what a snore Invisible War was. Actually I didn't get very far. I might soldier through, if it means catching up with the story.

edit:

Just finished watching. The music towards the end gave me goosebumps.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #2 on: Monday, November 26, 2007, 02:36:35 PM »
Will it be good like Deus Ex or blow chunks in every way imaginable like Deus Ex: Invisible War?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #3 on: Monday, November 26, 2007, 02:48:11 PM »
Actually, the music in the DX3 Trailer sounded just like the intro to the Original DX Theme before it kicks into action.

As long as they let the game don't run like crap, they bring back the PC-style interface, and ditch the stupid unified ammo thing (instead for DX3, we should go back to what the original DX had w/ each weapon has its own ammo like most games do, I think we'll probably be okay -- despite those uncalled for stupidities in Invisible War, the game and story itself was still great. They just messed up the technical aspects and the gameplay aspects of DX: IW, namely. The upgrading of your character via the biomods was great in DX: IW -- just expand on that majorly in DX3 and we'll be happy, there. Also, as long as DX3 keeps the "decision-making" elements for siding w/ factions, performing missions/tasks, we'll be fine.

W/ no Ion Storm and no Warren Spector present (who made the original DX), that might hurt a bit. Then again, maybe this what the game needs -- a new team to bring new flavor and life to the series. We know that w/out Harvey Smith (the lead for DX: IW, who made a lot of the design choices for IW), DX3 is already headed in the right direction. We'll just have to wait and see how this pans out.

Let's hope DX3 will be the revival of the DX series. I'm hoping it will be. Only time will tell.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #4 on: Monday, November 26, 2007, 07:59:06 PM »
Meh.  I still can't get into the first one (well, couldn't last time I tried... it's been a while because a friend took it, kept it for years, then finally gave it back.... and I promptly lost it), so... hooray for the rest of you guys.  Hope it turns out better than IW.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #5 on: Monday, November 26, 2007, 08:07:03 PM »
DX has a fantastic story, it just takes quite awhile to really get rolling.  I completely understand why a lot of people can't get into it because the first several levels suck pretty bad.  But it's like a snowball going downhill.  It just gets better and better and better.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #6 on: Monday, November 26, 2007, 08:08:23 PM »
That's what I've heard.  I'd planned on giving it another shot for a while now, but... well, I can't find it.  =T

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, November 27, 2007, 12:21:07 AM »
Hopefully it will be good like the first one, unlike the disaster that was Invisible War.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, November 27, 2007, 12:56:45 AM »
I'm taking some comfort in knowing that the new Eidos Montréal studio are the ones working on it. Hopefully they'll prove themselves, like the other successful Montréal based studios.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, November 27, 2007, 01:19:29 AM »
Ew, Eidos is developing it?  Pass.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, November 27, 2007, 03:12:55 AM »
Ew, Eidos is developing it?  Pass.
Normally that would have been my reaction, but I'm curious about how this new studio will do.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, November 27, 2007, 02:59:10 PM »
I'm curious, as well.

Hopefully, they're on the level as say UbiSoft Montreal -- especially w/ a product such as those under the Deus Ex IP.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #12 on: Friday, November 30, 2007, 05:23:02 PM »
DX3 to be on the Crystal Engine...?
(The Tomb Raider: Legend Engine)  :o

Deus Ex 3 Uses Tomb Raider Engine; Next Tomb Raider Game Rumored
by Chris Faylor Nov 30, 2007 1:04pm CST

Eidos Montreal's recently announced Deus Ex 3 will use a modified version of the engine created by Eidos-owned sister studio Crystal Dynamics for Tomb Raider: Legend (PC, PS2, X360).

"We chose the Crystal engine because we plan to help develop this engine more and then share it back with the rest of the company," Eidos Montreal manager Stephane D'Astous told Develop. "Having that technology from the start gives us a great advantage and foundation for our coders--there are no doubts about the approach, and we have few uncertainties."

Well, that's a surprise...
DX3 on the Crystal Engine....
I'd figured that'd be on the UT3 Engine....  :o

..Now, TR: Legend Engine is a very pretty engine -- see TR: Legend and TR: Anniversary. I wonder what kind of overhauling they are going to do to it, to make it keep up w/ the rest of the new games on the UT3 Engine, Crytek's Engine for Crysis, etc -- that's if they even plan to keep up w/ the rest of the graphical games.

But gameplay-wise, they might have to modify that Crystal engine quite a damn bit, so it plays like a FPS and TPS style game that utilized the KB/mouse -- to play more like the other DX games.
Unless they want it to play like TR....Oh God, no....

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #13 on: Friday, November 30, 2007, 05:47:03 PM »
I no longer care for DX sequels. The only thing I would care about DX related is an engine update and graphical mock up of the original DX.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #14 on: Friday, November 30, 2007, 10:24:47 PM »
DX3 to be on the Crystal Engine...?
(The Tomb Raider: Legend Engine)  :o

Well, that's a surprise...
DX3 on the Crystal Engine....
I'd figured that'd be on the UT3 Engine....  :o

..Now, TR: Legend Engine is a very pretty engine -- see TR: Legend and TR: Anniversary. I wonder what kind of overhauling they are going to do to it, to make it keep up w/ the rest of the new games on the UT3 Engine, Crytek's Engine for Crysis, etc -- that's if they even plan to keep up w/ the rest of the graphical games.

But gameplay-wise, they might have to modify that Crystal engine quite a damn bit, so it plays like a FPS and TPS style game that utilized the KB/mouse -- to play more like the other DX games.
Unless they want it to play like TR....Oh God, no....

I would have love it to be on the UT3 engine (or equivalent at the time it is made). I recall reading something about Eidos not getting along with Epic or something. They already have access to the Crystal Engine through Crystal Dynamics, so they could have figured "why spend extra to license another?"

By the way, TR Legend has more visual options than TR Anniversary. TRA was limited to the standard (maybe a little above) graphic quality. TRL gave you the option to go with standard or Next Gen. The Next Gen graphics were pretty amazing and very hardware intensive. Skin looked more realistic, lighting effects, etc. The graphics (not the art of course) were almost on par with Gears of War. SO I can imagine pushing it further would yield some amazing results.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: Saturday, December 01, 2007, 12:44:21 PM »
DX has a fantastic story, it just takes quite awhile to really get rolling.  I completely understand why a lot of people can't get into it because the first several levels suck pretty bad.  But it's like a snowball going downhill.  It just gets better and better and better.

That made me laugh because it reminded me of this:

Like Que, I just couldn't get into DX.  I tried a couple of times.  Now would be a good time to try again, since I can no longer play the big, new PC titles.  I think I've upgraded my system since last time I was in it.  If so, the strange performance issues I remember are probably gone.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, December 04, 2007, 03:39:52 PM »

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday, December 04, 2007, 04:13:58 PM »
Eidos Montreal's Stephane D'Astous talks to 1Up about plans for DX3 and whatnot

That story links to the 1up review of DX:IW, and I checked out the screenshots for that game.  I remember how horrible the textures were all over again.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, December 04, 2007, 11:12:03 PM »
While I found it slow to get into, I still think the mechanics were good enough to enjoy initially.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday, December 04, 2007, 11:57:01 PM »
But we're not working on current or last gen, it's next-gen and PC.

What the hell does that mean?  You're not making it for 360 or PS3, but for the Xbox 120squared and the PS4?

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday, December 05, 2007, 12:02:24 AM »
http://pc.ign.com/articles/839/839064p1.html

They are going to be using the Tomb Raider engine? Ahh... any hope I had for this game is fading. Why not use the Unreal engine?

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, December 05, 2007, 02:14:13 AM »
Pug just pulled a D.  :P

Offline JacksRag(e)

« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, December 05, 2007, 02:29:19 AM »
Mmm, so we won't be seeing the game anytime near this decade.  Can't say whether or not I'm excited, though.  I liked the first and abhorred the second.  No matter what I did or tweaked, it just wouldn't run well.  Just way too choppy and buggy.  Felt nothing like the first.  I'll just forget about it and be surprised, hopefully pleasantly so, when it comes out sometime in 2012.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday, December 05, 2007, 05:32:13 AM »
Oh my god. I am losing it. I even remember reading that stuff in this thread.

For more of my antics, see the Bio...err...Assasin's Creed thread.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday, December 05, 2007, 05:40:29 PM »

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday, December 05, 2007, 10:37:03 PM »
That would be a good thing, because it would mean I won't have to go through Invisible War.

Then again, it can't be that good a thing, because well nothing happened before DX1 that was interesting. Plus I guess you'll end up using a crappier earlier model?  Plus I don't think RPGs work to well in a prequel.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday, December 05, 2007, 11:17:10 PM »
That would be a good thing, because it would mean I won't have to go through Invisible War.

Then again, it can't be that good a thing, because well nothing happened before DX1 that was interesting. Plus I guess you'll end up using a crappier earlier model?  Plus I don't think RPGs work to well in a prequel.
What? Don't you wanna know how nano tech came to be? Or how Paul Denton was operating before JC was enlisted? Or maybe even the Dentons real parents! I like the idea of a prequel! :D

The story could go either way really. If it's a sequel they'd go for some ambiguous future, if it's a prequel they'd make some mysterious past that no one really knew much about.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday, December 05, 2007, 11:35:59 PM »
Well we already know how the future pans out, so they will have to do a good job if they want to keep the suspense etc.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday, December 05, 2007, 11:50:46 PM »
At the very least, it could be cool to see the world before too much of the nanotech stuff got out. Part of the interesting thing about the original Deus Ex was how all the new technology was affecting the world. By the time the sequel came about, it seemed like the world had cleaned itself up somewhat and the crazy technology was everywhere, so in a way it was less interesting. If it's a prequel, the world will should be just falling apart, which could be mess around with.

Of course, I with the people who don't expect much from the game. All signs point to wasted potential.

Offline Jedi

• Poster Child
« Reply #29 on: Thursday, December 06, 2007, 03:51:54 AM »
I really liked the first game, it was of the few I played through more than once just becuase it was that fun. I great memory I have is the matrix 'rain' effect code/cheat, that was cool. Anyway, I played the demo if IW and was turned right off. So at this stage  I'm in the camp of "why make a 3rd game just leave it alone" ~ or "get an orignal idea and make something new you unimaginative dumb fucks, not every game has to be a sequel!" (which could be said to many developers in today's industry)

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #30 on: Thursday, December 06, 2007, 08:42:58 AM »
Like I said, it would be cool if it pans out, but I don't see how that can happen.  There is just too much to live up to, and it's so easy to fall short (see DX:IW).

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #31 on: Thursday, December 06, 2007, 09:05:34 AM »
The first level on Deus Ex does suck, the second one isn't much better either. However, the game gets so much better after that.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #32 on: Thursday, December 06, 2007, 09:30:52 AM »
Yea Scottws. I currently have a feeling this will be even worse than IW.

I also think about how System Shock 2 came so long after SS1, but was a well received game (95% from PCG), and did get a third sequel ever despite fans wanting one.  I guess the fans were better off in the end.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #33 on: Thursday, December 06, 2007, 09:49:50 AM »
The first level on Deus Ex does suck, the second one isn't much better either. However, the game gets so much better after that.
Yeah I think the game doesn't really draw you in for three whole areas at least.  It starts getting interesting in Hell's Kitchen, but I think the level after that is when it really gets rolling.  I can't remember though.  I was playing through it again when I blew away my XP installation for Vista.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #34 on: Thursday, December 06, 2007, 10:04:50 AM »
On the first level you can take a pepper spray bomb and throw it at the doors of HQ. The receptionist will open the locked doors and come running out, you can then go inside and finish the level.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #35 on: Thursday, December 06, 2007, 10:10:21 AM »
Wow, I never knew that.  Sure beats going through the tedium of that level.  How did you figure that out?

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #36 on: Thursday, December 06, 2007, 11:37:15 AM »
Wow, I never knew that.  Sure beats going through the tedium of that level.  How did you figure that out?

Theres a couple of guards that stand watch over the HQ's front yard, I always take them out (non lethal) and take their drops. One time I messed it up so I threw a pepper grenade thing in the yard the slow them down and the receptionist comes running out. I didn't know it, but people had been doing this before me.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #37 on: Thursday, December 06, 2007, 02:41:33 PM »

Arx 2 was supposed to be a prequel...

Though, that seems to be on a hold, for now, since they are doing The Crossing...

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #38 on: Saturday, December 08, 2007, 10:08:48 PM »
Well I've installed Deus Ex and have started playing through it again.  nickclone is right.  There is a gas grenade available on top of the hidden medibot thing, and if you detonate it very close to the UNATCO base doors, the guard will open them and you can complete the mission in far less time.  There are some minor downsides:  You miss out on some exploration and goal bonuses, and the goals are never marked complete in your goals log from what I can tell.

Also, I searched for some mods not unlike those available for System Shock 2.  Unfortunately, the Deus Ex mod scene isn't really that big.  There is a "HDTP" mod which significantly increases quality of some of the textures, but not all.  And they aren't jumps in quality like those texture mods in DX:IW.  The visual gain is smaller here.  Unfortunately, there is just nothing quite like those mods in SS2.  If anyone does intend to try out this HDTP, let me know because it's programmed stupid and you have to edit some stuff to get it to work right.
« Last Edit: Saturday, December 08, 2007, 11:36:20 PM by scottws »

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #39 on: Sunday, December 09, 2007, 12:05:00 AM »
I don't know what it was, but I totally dug the first area of the first Deus. It was the demo that sold me and I practically ran out, got on a bus and went to CompUSA that day even though doing that was a big pain in the time (there were no stores that sold games that were easy to get to when I first came up to the Bay Area). I know I just took the crossbow and went to town knocking guys out. It might have helped that I had barely played System Shock 2 or Thief at the time, but it was just something that I was able to get into from the first second.