Author Topic: CRYSIS was so awesome! (Lots of screenies in thumbs. 56k FRIENDLY)  (Read 35021 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
CRYSIS was so awesome! (Lots of screenies in thumbs. 56k FRIENDLY)
« on: Tuesday, November 27, 2007, 12:19:22 PM »
I think Crysis is the best action game to come out in years. I just completed it, and boy, the last few hours are just non stop exhilaration. The action in the final segment is awe inspiring and of the highest order. I am left drained, yet in partial withdrawal because I am left gasping for more. But don’t get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with the length. At the third highest difficulty, I took 12-14 hours to finish this campaign, which is unheard of in today’s shooters.

I find it ridiculous that the same people, who claim to have gotten 12-15 hours out of the game, are complaining about feeling shortchanged in length. I guess there is just no satisfying the masses.

I am just thinking back to how Call of Duty 4 gave me five hours, F.E.A.R gave me seven and Half-Life 2 gave me nine. Compared to those, the playtime in Crysis is refreshingly high. Yet while other games can start to drag, the setting in Crysis changes so much that the time is sucked away like an addictive drug. 

The game is divided into three segments. The first is very sandboxy in nature, and just involves you getting accustomed to life in the jungle. Because of a distress signal sent by an undercover scientist, you find yourself landing with your team on an Island illegally occupied by the North Koreans. The help message indicates that there something far more sinister on the Island, and you discover this first hand almost immediately.

The initial missions involve intelligence gathering on the North Korean activity.  It is only during this period, that the game reminds you of Far Cry. However the similarities end with the setting, as the actual gameplay is very different.

While the initial phase is about information gathering, it doesn’t mean you are restricted to a certain style of gameplay. You can tackle the North Koreans as you please. 

The nanosuit is what gives you an advantage over your Korean enemies. As you run around the Island accomplishing missions, you find that no encounter plays out the same way twice. This is the hallmark of a great game. Deus Ex achieved it, by blending genres, and providing multiple paths to each mission. F.E.A.R. too achieved it, by having amazingly realistic A.I., and thus having no firefight play out the same way twice.

In Crysis it is the nanosuit that is the source of unpredictability. The phrase “emergent gameplay” is thrown around a lot, but it stands very true for Crysis.

Consider a typical Crysis scene, where you come across a Korean camp protected by sentry towers, turrets and sandbags, and powered by machine gun installed Hummers. You could go in cloaked, sticking C4 to all vulnerable objects, and then watch the fireworks from a safe distance, as you trigger each C4 at the same time. Or you could move in and out of invisibility as you choke slam Korean ala The Undertaker. If it is a check point with a small concentrated gathering, you could use the invisibility to plant a well placed grenade in the middle. Or you could use their own Hummers to crush them, or put their own turrets against them. You could use your super strength to topple their towers and bases, or toss upon them massive objects etc. The possibilities are endless, and with so much inadvertent environmental destruction, you are often rewarded with plenty of sinfully delightful emergent gameplay.

On paper, it might appear that the nanosuit is overpowering. That isn’t the case as the developers were clever enough to restrict you into using one special ability at a time. Also while motionless, cloaking drains less energy, movement drains it much faster. When sneaking about in enemy territory, you often have to time yourself to be suitably hidden when your energy levels are low. Firing a weapon removes the cloaking ability instantly as well. Something like sprinting is also kept at short bursts to keep everything balanced.

The enemy A.I., is where the game is inconsistent, as it can range from very good to disappointing. Where it is outstanding is in the enemy reaction to your stealth. If the enemy is firing at you, and you turn invisible, they will continue to fire in the direction, using the spray and pray method. If you are unlucky, you will get hit and most likely killed. If not, you can regroup to increase your cloak’s energy level.

The Koreans patrol realistically according to their level of alertness. For example if they are unaware of your presence, they will be highly casual. Once they know you are around, they will search for you more actively. If they see you point blank, regardless of your visibility, they will fire. If you want to hide, but don’t feel like cloaking, or just want a moment to raise your suit’s energy levels, you can hide behind vehicles and buildings, or in plain sight by going prone in the thick grass. The A.I. in these situations is rewardingly realistic. Once it is alert to the presence of an intruder, the safety of hiding in certain environment decreases rapidly.

Unfortunately they do at times behave unrealistically when the fight is on. Sometimes they just won’t react fast enough, even if you are firing at them in plain sight.

Eventually the sandbox portion of the first phase passes, and things develop into a small war. The war with the Koreans is outstanding fun, with you being sent on special missions to accomplish tasks that would be too difficult for normal soldiers.

All this culminates into the discovery of what is wrong with the Island, and you find yourself in the heart of an Alien transport ship. This little phase, where you explore the vessel in the state of zero gravity is quite fascinating.

While using aliens in a game might be a cliché, the actual design of these creatures is fairly unque. Their habitat is also a refreshing take on a recycled enemy.

Eventually you escape, and enter the final phase. Again it is all out war, but this time the enemy is far more lethal. I found the last phase in particular to be quite amazing, and probably the best of the game’s three segments.

Overall I’d say the game deserves the scores it got from Gamespot, PC Gamer and IGN. I’d personally score it somewhere near the mid nineties. I actually enjoyed Crysis more than F.E.A.R. or Half-Life 2.

The game’s style is also a bit of a throwback. With games like Call of Duty 4, Rainbow Six Vegas, Gears of War all employing somewhat of a similar approach, Crysis goes to show that the hardcore lone man shooter style isn’t dead.

I was running the game at a resolution of 1440x900, with all settings on high. I got between 28-35 frames per second, which I found fairly acceptable. Even at high, the game looked incredible, as you can see.

On very high (which can be unlocked with a workaround), the graphics on XP look near photorealistic. However on Vista, I have to say they looked even better. Unfortunately the frame rate on Vista is just not good enough, and on the same settings in XP I was getting an average of five more frame. In a game like this, you strive for every frame.

If you’ve got an 8800 series card, this game is definitely a must have. It is a truly awesome shooter, which just snowballs as it goes.   

« Last Edit: Monday, December 31, 2007, 11:44:06 AM by Pugnate »

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: CRYSIS was so awesome! (Got some screenies. Big 56K warning)
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, November 27, 2007, 12:20:48 PM »
I switched them all to thumbs. I'll integrate this with the bigger thread soon.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, November 27, 2007, 11:55:03 PM by Pugnate »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, November 27, 2007, 02:41:47 PM »
When I get a vid card that can run it, maybe I'll get it -- if the game's cheap enuff.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, November 27, 2007, 04:18:48 PM »
I'm surprised the game is still at full retail.  I expected to see a GoGamer Madness sale on it by now.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, November 27, 2007, 04:58:38 PM »
I'm surprised the game is still at full retail.  I expected to see a GoGamer Madness sale on it by now.

I expect it to be full price at retail -- around $40 on sale to $50.

Why?

B/c for one, EA is publishing. :P

B/c Crysis is supposed to be the FPS Game everyone is really anticipating to buy the year -- whether it lives up to that, is another story. I think it's gonna sell like crazy. So, why would the retailer let it get cheaper, if it's gonna sell so well at full price or close to it?

Plus, b/c of the game looking technically great and also having its VERY stiff system requirements, I think many might actually upgrade their PC -- especially their video card -- just to run this game AND/OR to run it at its full glory (or close to it).

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, November 27, 2007, 05:06:52 PM »
Yeah, but there was even a big sale on Warcraft III something like 2 weeks after it was released and you know Crysis probably couldn't hope to sniff WCIII's sales numbers.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, November 27, 2007, 05:21:21 PM »
Yeah, but there was even a big sale on Warcraft III something like 2 weeks after it was released and you know Crysis probably couldn't hope to sniff WCIII's sales numbers.

This is very true.

But, I think this might go back to the "EA is publishing" thing -- damn those money hungry bastards! :P

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, November 27, 2007, 11:22:18 PM »
Well apparently the game is still selling well, so I guess they will wait before they drop the price.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: CRYSIS was so awesome! (Lots of screenies in thumbs. No 56k warning)
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, December 01, 2007, 12:48:17 PM »
I just picked it up. Cost me about $45 (Canadian and US dollars are about the same now! Go Canada!)

Beautiful game. Can be tough, but nevertheless I welcome a challenge :D

EDIT:

I only have one gameplay complaint so far: it can take way too many bullets to kill a single guy. The good news is a headshot is an instant kill. However, if I hit him anywhere else quite often I'll have to empty a whole clip (about 30 rounds) over one basic infantry guy. I think 3 shots to the chest should be sufficient to drop a guy. If he's wearing a vest, fine I think shooting him in the back or legs should do the trick too. I don't know, I just feel approx 20 bullets in the torso is a little too much.

Otherwise, truly amazing game.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, December 01, 2007, 01:29:36 PM »
I was playing at the third highest difficulty, and the game was quite challenging till I perfected the ninja assault style.

BTW Xesive, I find your "tone" too negative. You are now fired. We are CNET wish you all the best.

Sorry, I had to say that.

But yea, it takes a lot of torso hits to take them out, though headshots are effective and fun with the laser sighting.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, December 01, 2007, 02:27:47 PM »
I was playing at the third highest difficulty, and the game was quite challenging till I perfected the ninja assault style.

BTW Xesive, I find your "tone" too negative. You are now fired. We are CNET wish you all the best.

Sorry, I had to say that.

But yea, it takes a lot of torso hits to take them out, though headshots are effective and fun with the laser sighting.
Hahaha Poor Gerstmann :P

I need to get the hang of the game I guess, that was just my first impression. So far me lovin' it!

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, December 02, 2007, 02:13:17 AM »
The multiplayer is awesome as well, but don't start till you finish the SP.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, December 02, 2007, 08:57:11 AM »
The multiplayer is awesome as well, but don't start till you finish the SP.

Ain't that what you supposed to do w/ most games that have both SP and MP??
So that you get practice in SP to prepare for MP? :P

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, December 02, 2007, 11:00:16 AM »
haha... I remember Xessive can't contain his excitement for stuff.

Like I remember when we got Jedi Outcast. We were still going through singleplayer, and hadn't earned our light saber yet. Then I went to sleep and next I know I was hearing the "WHOOOOOOOOM" sounds of the light saber. I woke up excited, thinking Xessive had gotten pretty far in his game, but he was having fun on multiplayer. :)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #14 on: Sunday, December 02, 2007, 01:16:14 PM »
haha... I remember Xessive can't contain his excitement for stuff.

Like I remember when we got Jedi Outcast. We were still going through singleplayer, and hadn't earned our light saber yet. Then I went to sleep and next I know I was hearing the "WHOOOOOOOOM" sounds of the light saber. I woke up excited, thinking Xessive had gotten pretty far in his game, but he was having fun on multiplayer. :)
Hahaha man good times :D You know I just HAD to wield the light saber! hehe

Man, Jedi Outcast was a blast! I still remember our back-slashing frenzy! hehe

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: Sunday, December 02, 2007, 02:16:09 PM »
I think Jedi Outcast was about the time I started e-hanging around with you guys.  That was a wicked game and the online was hella fun.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #16 on: Sunday, December 02, 2007, 02:18:13 PM »
Oh yea.

Jedi Academy was sweet as well. With he dual weilding and saber staffs. It is a pity they just stopped focusing on the profitable series. Damn Lucas Arts.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #17 on: Sunday, December 02, 2007, 03:09:43 PM »
I never did try Jedi Academy, but that one seemed awesome.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #18 on: Sunday, December 02, 2007, 03:16:02 PM »
I never did try Jedi Academy, but that one seemed awesome.

Yeah, same here.

Hell, why did I never pick up Jedi Acad???

It's a Raven game -- I can't remember a Raven game I disliked...

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #19 on: Sunday, December 02, 2007, 03:32:57 PM »
You know, I still have JA installed on my computer as well as my sisters. The MP is really fun, and a big improvement over Outcast. The singleplayer with the decapitation on is a blast. It also throws you into the action immediately. While the visuals may seem a little dated now, I'd highly recommend it, especially for the price.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #20 on: Sunday, December 02, 2007, 03:55:47 PM »
You know, I still have JA installed on my computer as well as my sisters. The MP is really fun, and a big improvement over Outcast. The singleplayer with the decapitation on is a blast. It also throws you into the action immediately.
Good deal.

I didn't own Outcast, but my neighbor had it -- I did try it and did like it.

Hmmm...How the hell did I not buy Jedi Outcast and Academy when they dropped in price? Hell, that's beyond me.

While the visuals may seem a little dated now, I'd highly recommend it, especially for the price.
Visuals ain't everything -- especially if the game runs great and is a lot of fun.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: Sunday, December 02, 2007, 06:43:36 PM »
I was actually looking into this the other day to see if there was any word on another game, and it seems that Jedi Academy still has a somewhat active mod community.  I'm fairly certain I found this through the wikipedia page on the game.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #22 on: Sunday, December 02, 2007, 11:12:42 PM »
Good deal.

I didn't own Outcast, but my neighbor had it -- I did try it and did like it.

Hmmm...How the hell did I not buy Jedi Outcast and Academy when they dropped in price? Hell, that's beyond me.

Honestly, you need to finish those games. Start with Jedi Outcast, and wait for it to go super crazy on you at the halfway point. It is one of my favorite games, and heck, I wish could give a copy somehow. *looks on eBay*

Minor Spoiler:

(click to show/hide)

A bigger spoiler:

(click to show/hide)

I was actually looking into this the other day to see if there was any word on another game, and it seems that Jedi Academy still has a somewhat active mod community.  I'm fairly certain I found this through the wikipedia page on the game.

Yes it does. My brother came by recently, and I installed Jedi Academy on the comps. There are so many great mods out there, as well as skins to use in multiplayer. It is very difficult to fight little Yoda.
« Last Edit: Monday, December 03, 2007, 07:58:12 AM by Pugnate »

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #23 on: Monday, December 03, 2007, 06:50:40 AM »
Well, there we go.  Crysis is part of a GoGamer 48-hour madness sale.  $39.90.  I think this is going to be one of those PC games where it gets pretty cheap like Quake IV.  I think I'll wait.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #24 on: Monday, December 03, 2007, 07:56:59 AM »
I think most games stay at about near high price during the holiday period, and then suddenly dip.

From what I read, what GoGamer do is pick up excess inventory in order to put those sales together. It is a pretty good idea.

But whenever you do get it, let me know if you are interested in some multiplayer.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #26 on: Monday, December 03, 2007, 06:16:28 PM »
Worth noting, in case anybody doesn't bother to look:

THESE ARE NOT IN GAME FRAMERATES!

The video isn't about how good Crysis or Cryengine2 is but it was actually made simply because I liked the look of lots of boxes flying around and structures collapsing etcetera and thought other people might like to see this also, aswell as a brief description on how to make their own (I might make a full tutorial eventually).

But yes, that video is pure awesome.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: Monday, December 03, 2007, 06:22:45 PM »
Imagine how cool it will be when cpu speeds enable this kind of thing in real time. 

But yeah, I noticed playing Bioshock that a lot of physics objects have completely different frame rates then the rest of the game.  Like if you shoot or throw around a corpse, the animation on it is really jerky.  I guess this explains why.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #28 on: Monday, December 03, 2007, 11:03:58 PM »
Wow that's pretty cool.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday, December 04, 2007, 12:38:17 AM »
So I was uninstalling a bunch of stuff and gave the Crysis SP demo another go.  I think it's safe to say I wont be buying it until I get a new card.  It's really fun, it just doesn't scale well enough for my liking.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday, December 04, 2007, 10:14:48 AM »
I'd agree with that. I think to enjoy the game you should have an 8800 card of some sort.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday, December 04, 2007, 12:38:48 PM »
I have an 8800 GTS and agree with gpw.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday, December 04, 2007, 01:03:14 PM »
Yea but like I've told you a few times before, the game has massive performance issues with 64 bit Vista. So yea, telling you again. :P

edit:

http://www.vistax64.com/gaming/110989-crysis-64bit.html

Anyone else having problems with running this game in 64b? When loading it just hangs, DVDROM light does not even blink. Vista says there is a problem loading game. I have even adjusted the full screen mode, and also lowered the graphics from very high, to just high, which I shouldn't have to since I seem to believe my rig is capable of handling this game. I also installed the last NVidia drivers, and even reverted back to the last drivers, and still no go on 64.
Any help would be appreciated.

Mine ran out of the box. When I tried to run from the 64bit icon it crashed. How do you check if you are running the 64bit when in game. I run from the games menu with no problems. If it is the 32bit then it runs fast. I think the icon in the game directory detects what os you have and runs the app associated. Any feedback would be a great help.

PC Gamer has also reported numerous problems Crysis has with 64 bit Vista.

http://www.crysis-online.com/forum/index.php/topic,14268.0.html

Well, atm I'm very pissed off, because if the game doesn't crash, freeze, stop loading... What else can go wrong? Well if their is anything, im sure its done that aswell. And its no particular spot, or situation. I've had crashes ranging from the heat of battle, all the way back to a nice and calm menu. Thats right fellas, the fucking game menu...

What do i blame? Vista 64bit (not sure about 32)... Why? Because my brother has the exact same system specs as me and XP is running it all hunky dory. While this unstable crap can't even keep his head above water.

Now before you guys say, well maybe you can't handle Vista. I'm sure a Quadcore Q6600 2.4ghz, 8800GTX and 4 gigs of ram can handle the job, don't you?

So i ask, when is the Crysis patch coming (the one that was to be released close to Crysis going live), because atm, its very frustrating as at no point is my game safe from bombing out in one way or another...

There are many wonderous stories like that on the Crysis forums. People with 64 bit Vista have had some major problems.

However, there is some good news. Apparently the latest drivers are yielding a 15% performance boost. You have to look around the net for some fixes for 64 bit Vista.

edit:

OK what is weird is that Crysis is apparently supposed to run best on 64 bit Vista. The Crytek team have said this in some interview and stuff. Unfortunately 64 bit drivers seem to get the least attention from Nvidia, which is apparently what is causing the issues.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday, December 04, 2007, 01:18:17 PM »
I don't have any of those problems mentioned.  I didn't even know there was a 64-bit icon.  I think I was running it in 32-bit.  It just runs slow.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday, December 04, 2007, 01:31:46 PM »
Gamespot did a benchmark and the game garnered 10-15 fps more in XP, than Vista. But with new drivers coming, and a Crysis patch following, let's hope the performance does get better.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday, December 04, 2007, 05:45:18 PM »
The thing I don't get about the game (or at least the demo), is that it doesn't run well on medium (what the game picks out for me if I allow it to do it automatically),  it runs at about 30fps, but that's without any action going on.  It runs SLIGHTLY better on low, then we get to high, which actually runs only a tiny bit worse than if it were on medium, but looks a lot better.  That's great and all, but why is it that the game looks AND PLAYS like ass on lower settings?  I'm not one of those morons complaining that I can't run it at 60fps at some insane resolution, I made a decision when I bought my card and decided that spending an extra $100 or more dollars just to play Crysis wasn't really worth it to me right now.  I'd be satisfied playing the game with a frame rate constantly over 30fps on medium at a standard resolution and Crytek can't seem to deliver that.

It's not even because of the technology present in the game either, I think it's just shitty coding.  It looks good, but not THAT good.  We went over this before, and it's obvious that this is the result of them wanting to sell the engine in the future.  Fine, but you know why Epic and Id license programs are so popular with developers?  Because they can build engines that fucking scale from the get go.  They'll run on average hardware at release, even if they don't look great, and 3 years down the road when the last UE3 games are coming out they'll still be looking good. 

By the time mid-range hardware that can run Crysis is prevalent in the marketplace UE4 and Ids next engine will be out or just around the corner and no one will give a shit. 

It's kind of a shame.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday, December 04, 2007, 11:11:01 PM »
Yea it is a shame that it doesn't scale well, and a bit surprising considering the statements come out of Crytek.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday, December 12, 2007, 11:14:35 PM »
Wow. I just played the SP demo, and it was awesome. I need to pick this up tomorrow. It's sweet as hell.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #38 on: Thursday, December 13, 2007, 01:56:01 PM »
The thing I don't get about the game (or at least the demo), is that it doesn't run well on medium (what the game picks out for me if I allow it to do it automatically),  it runs at about 30fps, but that's without any action going on.  It runs SLIGHTLY better on low, then we get to high, which actually runs only a tiny bit worse than if it were on medium, but looks a lot better.  That's great and all, but why is it that the game looks AND PLAYS like ass on lower settings?
EA published, so I wouldn't be surprised if EA forced the game out the door early, even though Crytek wanted more time. I wouldn't be surprised that now w/ Crytek working for EA, Crytek just decided to adopt the EA philosophy -- "Get it on the market, patch it later..." Maybe even a combo of both; who knows.

Anybody know???
I'm not one of those morons complaining that I can't run it at 60fps at some insane resolution, I made a decision when I bought my card and decided that spending an extra $100 or more dollars just to play Crysis wasn't really worth it to me right now.  I'd be satisfied playing the game with a frame rate constantly over 30fps on medium at a standard resolution and Crytek can't seem to deliver that.
Bleh!

It's not even because of the technology present in the game either, I think it's just shitty coding.  It looks good, but not THAT good.  We went over this before, and it's obvious that this is the result of them wanting to sell the engine in the future.  Fine, but you know why Epic and Id license programs are so popular with developers?  Because they can build engines that fucking scale from the get go.  They'll run on average hardware at release, even if they don't look great, and 3 years down the road when the last UE3 games are coming out they'll still be looking good. 

By the time mid-range hardware that can run Crysis is prevalent in the marketplace UE4 and Ids next engine will be out or just around the corner and no one will give a shit. 

It's kind of a shame.
Keep in mind, Epic and Id probably have more leverage for "we need extra time to improve game performance" w/ their publishers, given their great track record of good games and great sales.

In age, when compared to Epic and Id, Crytek's a baby. They probably don't have that kind of leverage, just yet...

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: Thursday, December 13, 2007, 05:13:05 PM »
I think it's a bit too easy to point the finger at EA for this.  This is really the only sign I've seen or heard of that would indicate a game being pushed out.The developers aren't always blameless - Crytech just made a bad technical design decision as I see it.  Looking at sound bites and interview quotes, it doesn't surprise me one bit.  They seem like a bunch of clowns.