Author Topic: CRYSIS was so awesome! (Lots of screenies in thumbs. 56k FRIENDLY)  (Read 35009 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: CRYSIS was so awesome! (Lots of screenies in thumbs. No 56k warning)
« Reply #40 on: Friday, December 14, 2007, 01:03:10 AM »
Well Crytek had a lot of publisher pressure to release this in time for the holiday season, but that still doesn't leave them an excuse as they had been optimizing for a while. Let's see how much of a performance boost the patch provides.

Also in outdoor settings on a mix of high and very high, I was getting between 30 and 35 fps. With action at its most intense the frames dropped to 27-30 or so, but I didn't mind. Indoors the action was near 60 fps.

Actually I don't know quite how to say this, but 30 fps in outdoor settings in Crysis seemed as acceptable as 60fps in UT or Quake. Reason could be that the action is a bit more deliberate, and less trigger happy. You don't spend your time in Crysis running a marathon.

In fact a lot of the game reminds me of S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

I was thinking about it, and from the forums, I think someone like Que will love this game once he upgrades this computer. I have a fair idea of his taste, and I have a feeling this will be something he adores.

Anyway I've just finished it a third time, and the emergent gameplay makes it a different experience every secession.

I honestly find this to be one of the best games I played. It is just a pity that it doesn't scale nearly as well as it should. 

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #41 on: Friday, December 14, 2007, 09:14:04 AM »
Well Crytek had a lot of publisher pressure to release this in time for the holiday season, but that still doesn't leave them an excuse as they had been optimizing for a while. Let's see how much of a performance boost the patch provides.

Also in outdoor settings on a mix of high and very high, I was getting between 30 and 35 fps. With action at its most intense the frames dropped to 27-30 or so, but I didn't mind. Indoors the action was near 60 fps.

Actually I don't know quite how to say this, but 30 fps in outdoor settings in Crysis seemed as acceptable as 60fps in UT or Quake. Reason could be that the action is a bit more deliberate, and less trigger happy. You don't spend your time in Crysis running a marathon.

In fact a lot of the game reminds me of S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

I was thinking about it, and from the forums, I think someone like Que will love this game once he upgrades this computer. I have a fair idea of his taste, and I have a feeling this will be something he adores.

Anyway I've just finished it a third time, and the emergent gameplay makes it a different experience every secession.

I honestly find this to be one of the best games I played. It is just a pity that it doesn't scale nearly as well as it should. 
Well said man. It is definitely one of the best games I've played and I kinda regret not getting the Special Edition! (It has an artbook, soundtrack etc.) hehe

The story is linear, no two ways about it, but the gameplay is so open to the player's style. I love how varied it is.

STALKER has more RPG elements than Crysis, but I can see the similarities.

Speaking of STALKER, I need to give it another go. My first impression wasn't particularly good; it was so-so. I've been meaning to play more of it just to give it another chance.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #42 on: Friday, December 14, 2007, 09:25:02 AM »
Yes I got the special ed. :P

Don't worry, you aren't missing out on that much. :)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #43 on: Sunday, December 16, 2007, 11:17:39 AM »
STALKER has more RPG elements than Crysis, but I can see the similarities.

Speaking of STALKER, I need to give it another go. My first impression wasn't particularly good; it was so-so. I've been meaning to play more of it just to give it another chance.
Loved STALKER.

I wish more FPS's had such an open-world and gave the player decisions to make, which will effect the game's outcome.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #44 on: Friday, December 21, 2007, 02:47:11 PM »
Originally, Crysis's first patch was to come out today.

Well, patch has been delayed.
And there is no real release date now for it.
They hope to get it out in Jan. 2008.

Crysis Patch Delay [December 21, 2007, 3:10 pm ET] - Viewing Comments

The inCrysis Crysis Forums have word from Crytek on the status of Crysis patches, the SDK, and the Linux dedicated server (thanks McSterls). The update offers patch notes for the first patch and beyond, word on plans for improved mod support, and word that a Linux serer is in the works, but currently has no ETA. The update also confesses to a delay for the first patch, saying "Unfortunately due to heavy technical issues that appeared right before the patch was declared final we could not release it in time." Word on release plans is: "Based on this feedback we will be able to set a release date for the long awaited Patch #1 for Crysis. If no major problems occur we expect to have it available for public download within January 2008. This is of course related to the reports from the QA departments, but we are confident to match the schedule."

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #45 on: Saturday, December 22, 2007, 08:47:22 AM »
All for a good reason I'm sure. I'd rather wait a little for a more complete and comprehensive release.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #46 on: Saturday, December 22, 2007, 09:26:15 AM »
Agreed; I'm sure it's for good reason, as well.

Regardless, I still need to upgrade when the price is right for a good vid card so I can run this one.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #47 on: Saturday, December 22, 2007, 10:11:50 AM »
Man as soon as you find a $220 or so 8800GT, go for it.

edit:

If you want to buy Crysis, I saw a $250 8800GT bundled with Crysis.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #48 on: Saturday, December 22, 2007, 11:59:00 AM »
If you want to buy Crysis, I saw a $250 8800GT bundled with Crysis.

I'm a lil' bit curious...where?

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #49 on: Saturday, December 22, 2007, 12:20:52 PM »
Newegg... eBay... I think eVGA had some deal.

Offline shock

• Poster Child
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday, December 25, 2007, 09:10:15 PM »
Just finished SP.  It was one of the best single player experiences I have had in years.  It was LONG (unlike most FPS nowadays), but really got you into the action.  The storyline was solid, the action was great, and the replayability is huge.

As for performance, I have an Athlon X2 4400+, 2GB RAM, and a 7900GTX.  When it first selected medium, the performance was REALLY crappy.  However, I turned a few settings down to low and my FPS improved by 20 or so.  And all stalling/freezing between scenes and what not was eliminated.  The settings I turned to Low were Sound Quality (which actually was a problem.. I was unable to tell when helicopers were REALLY close or just somewhat close. And I couldn't tell which direction they were coming from.  But I attribute this to the fact that I am still using my onboard sound..), Volumetric Effects, and Shadow Quality.

Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday, December 25, 2007, 10:57:39 PM »
I hope the patch betters performance. Hey you want to play online sometime?

I am glad you enjoyed it though. And yes, the fact that it is long is a big credit to it.

Offline shock

• Poster Child
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday, December 26, 2007, 12:03:38 PM »
Yeah, I'd definitely be down.  I'm going out to buy a real copy in a few days (probably Thursday, possibly Friday), whenever I feel like braving all of the crazy mall shoppers.  I'm down for CoD4 any time if you got into that.  I have played like 2 multiplayer matches in that game, but it seems real cool.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday, December 26, 2007, 12:12:59 PM »
Let me know as soon as you buy it. You will love multiplayer. There is something called "powerplay", which is pretty epic. To keep it short, it can last hours and basically ends with one team putting together a nuke.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday, December 26, 2007, 04:35:41 PM »
I've been playing it for the past few days, and its amazing. Loving it. The graphics are crazy, and the game play is lots of fun. The nano suit dynamic adds a lot to it. You can do some fun stuff with the different abilities the suit allows.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday, December 26, 2007, 09:40:33 PM »
Have you tried chokeslamming people "Undertaker" style? Heck you can even do that to aliens. :P

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday, December 26, 2007, 11:08:18 PM »
Have you tried chokeslamming people "Undertaker" style? Heck you can even do that to aliens. :P
Haha that's a blast ;D I love grabbing them then smashing them into anything! But sometimes I just love making people fly! Sometimes into the ocean! I also realized if you swim far out enough you will encounter a deadly shark.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: Thursday, December 27, 2007, 12:05:35 PM »
Choke slamming and punching people through buildings are easily the best parts of the demo.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #58 on: Thursday, December 27, 2007, 03:39:18 PM »
I just realized one major problem on my side.. I can't play Crysis online! The game keeps giving me a "You were disconnected from the server" error! It won't log in at all! DAMN IT!!

One part I really enjoy is grenading a bunch of soldiers in a shack! Not only is the explosion satisfying but the collapse of the structure is truly gratifying! A perfect end to a perfectly lobbed 'nade ;D

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #60 on: Monday, December 31, 2007, 01:13:01 AM »
I love how we can throw a "56k warning" on any post and keep Idol out.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #61 on: Monday, December 31, 2007, 01:29:25 AM »
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #62 on: Monday, December 31, 2007, 04:14:21 AM »
I laughed....

One thing though... the fact that cloaking was limited was a great decision, and most people on the forums seem to agree with it. Otherwise the game would be too freakin' easy. Cloaking is long enough to be very useful to be honest. Plus if you aren't moving while cloaked, you can make it last a lot longer.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #63 on: Monday, December 31, 2007, 11:15:28 AM »
Well I ended up getting Crysis for Christmas and I've been playing it.  I really like it.  The only problem is that it overheats my videocard and I can only play for about an hour at a time.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #64 on: Monday, December 31, 2007, 11:42:53 AM »
I can't believe you got it. You can join Toxic and myself online when you are done with the SP.

Are you a rails shooter kinda guy, or an open ended shooter kind guy, or do you like both? Because the game goes from S.T.A.L.K.E.R. to F.E.A.R. to HL2 in its various phases.

Also the fact that your video card is overheating is really screwed up. What temp are you hitting? Because I've been hitting 80 and apparently that's OK for 8800 cards.

Also are you playing on Vista?

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re: CRYSIS was so awesome! (Lots of screenies in thumbs. 56k FRIENDLY)
« Reply #65 on: Monday, December 31, 2007, 11:54:02 AM »
Yeah, Vista x64.  But I'm pretty sure it's heat related.  I have an upside-down motherboard configuration, so the videocard just sits up there in hot air.  The cool intake air comes in below it and just flows towards the front.  Case design issue.

As far as temperatures, I have no idea.  I don't know how to check that.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #66 on: Monday, December 31, 2007, 11:58:27 AM »
How is it running on Vista 64? Any better with the driver updates?

To check temperature open NVIDIA CONTROL PANEL, and under PERFORMANCE locate LAUNCH NVMONITOR.

Once that opens, you can expand it by clicking on the bottom right corner. You should see your temperature. Yea, I don't know why they made it so much harder than before. But I'd be interested to know what your GPU temp is.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #67 on: Monday, December 31, 2007, 12:14:45 PM »
I never had any major trouble with it.  I'm running DX10 on high settings at some 13xx X 768 widescreen resolution.  It's ok.  Probably runs about 25 fps on average.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #68 on: Monday, December 31, 2007, 12:43:17 PM »
I think DX10 is at "very high" ?

Also was reading about how in a future patch you can up the settings a few more notches. Apparently they locked higher settings because they didn't realize video cards wouldn't keep up...

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #69 on: Monday, December 31, 2007, 12:59:05 PM »
Well I'm running in DX10 mode and everything says "HIGH" in my graphics options.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #70 on: Wednesday, January 02, 2008, 10:38:20 AM »
I came across a very peculiar bug.. Not sure if it is a bug but that's what I think it is. Apparently a corpse can kill you.

Crysis has some of the best physics I've experienced in a game, but the dead weight of a corpse is enough to crush your bones to death. I killed some soldiers aroind a hill side, and being the curious sort that I am, I decided to play around with the physics and see how much I could move a corpse (since they usually seem very solid). I punched it a few times, enough to make one side of the body seem to roll up, and as it started to semi-roll back down it crushed me. Reloaded, tried again with several corpses and they are quite lethal.

The same thing happens if you get stuck in a diagonal area between objects or around the remains of a blown-up vehicle. It's like you're getting your ankle twisted in the wreckage or something, and somehow it's fatal.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #71 on: Wednesday, January 02, 2008, 10:41:53 AM »
In a way, that reminds me of how in GTAIII if you ran off a curb into the street, you would get hurt.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #72 on: Wednesday, January 02, 2008, 11:23:11 AM »
I came across a very peculiar bug.. Not sure if it is a bug but that's what I think it is. Apparently a corpse can kill you.

Crysis has some of the best physics I've experienced in a game, but the dead weight of a corpse is enough to crush your bones to death. I killed some soldiers aroind a hill side, and being the curious sort that I am, I decided to play around with the physics and see how much I could move a corpse (since they usually seem very solid). I punched it a few times, enough to make one side of the body seem to roll up, and as it started to semi-roll back down it crushed me. Reloaded, tried again with several corpses and they are quite lethal.

The same thing happens if you get stuck in a diagonal area between objects or around the remains of a blown-up vehicle. It's like you're getting your ankle twisted in the wreckage or something, and somehow it's fatal.

hahaha that's weird but so awesome. You should go and msg that to the developers. I am sure they will love it. I think they left that in because you can punch corpses on to your enemies... but killing is a bit too much. :P

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #73 on: Wednesday, January 02, 2008, 11:38:53 AM »
To check temperature open NVIDIA CONTROL PANEL, and under PERFORMANCE locate LAUNCH NVMONITOR.

Once that opens, you can expand it by clicking on the bottom right corner. You should see your temperature. Yea, I don't know why they made it so much harder than before. But I'd be interested to know what your GPU temp is.
I don't know where this "Performance" section is.  I don't seem to have that.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #74 on: Wednesday, January 02, 2008, 12:53:37 PM »
Whoops. I am sorry, I forgot that you may have to install ntune first, which installs the performance panel. No don't go overclocking and stuff. :P

http://www.nvidia.com/object/ntune_5.05.54.00.html

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #75 on: Thursday, January 03, 2008, 05:12:09 PM »
As for the cloaking, I have no problem with it being limited, that's a necessity, but personally I'd like for it to last a bit longer.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #76 on: Thursday, January 03, 2008, 09:46:10 PM »
Cloaking as it is best used as a means to lie in wait for an enemy to come to you or as an evasive tactic.  It doesn't last long enough while moving for it to be very useful with attack tactics.

Anyway, I haven't weighed in on the game yet.  Wow.  It is awesome.  I expected FarCry 2.  It's that to a degree, but it is much less hokey and really adds some new cool stuff.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #77 on: Thursday, January 03, 2008, 10:41:50 PM »
(click to show/hide)

I know. That came unexpected.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #78 on: Thursday, January 03, 2008, 11:13:55 PM »
Just beat the game.  Incredible game and well worth the purchase.  Well worth it for Jennie to buy it to give to me.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #79 on: Friday, January 04, 2008, 12:02:30 AM »
I am glad you liked it. When Toxy and I get together online someday, you should join us. How many hours did it take you?