Author Topic: Anyone gotten really good at Defcon yet?  (Read 2390 times)

Offline shock

• Poster Child
Anyone gotten really good at Defcon yet?
« on: Monday, October 02, 2006, 09:23:24 PM »

Anyone got any strategies for general use?  I am struggling with fleets.  I usually just put 3 carriers and 3 battleships in groups.  Then I create 2 groups of 6 subs that I use for nuking.  The combat groups usually just try and get the subs in position to kill and can launch bombers.  I put one or two in anti submarine mode to keep the subs away(which I am really bad at).

Also: What targets are worth nuking?  Silos?  Airports?  Or do you guys just hit the cities?

This game is a blast, I am just really bad at it(30/70 shot I win against one computer, which isn't that great).
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
Re: Anyone gotten really good at Defcon yet?
« Reply #1 on: Monday, October 02, 2006, 09:42:13 PM »
Keebs was asking this earlier in the other thread, so we can just turn this into the new discussion.

Today I had a really good game against two computer opponents, although a large part of my victory was my positioning. I was in the USA and going against Africa and Europe. Basically I massed my fleets in the open Atlantic and wedged myself between both their fleets and came out with over half my fleet intact. Not bad for 2:1 odds, no? The trick was I launched every fighter I could as soon as Defcon 3 went active. Half my carriers launched bombers first, the rest went fighters and I did my best to have the aircraft hit the enemy fleets first. By the time their ships got in range to do ship-to-ship combat I had killed half of each of their fleets so it was 1:1, but I already had more planes in the air and that finished things off fast. After the bulk of the navel combat was done I went into anti-sub mode with a few carriers and positioned them around the Atlantic and my own subs were nearing nice central positions by each continent. While this was happening Defcon 1 went active and I started making small bombing runs against costal radars and airbases I had managed to scout out from my carriers and their subs started to get caught in my net, so I moved a bit of my fleets above my own subs to protect them when it came for them to start firing. The time came and both sides opened up their silos. With a pretty quick strike I was able to knock out nearly all their silos before they went back into AA mode and they managed to knock out what was left on their own. Only a few missiles managed to make it towards me, but I had the Atlantic so full of ships that I was tracking them them whole way and they were shot down as soon as they got in range of my own AA silos. From there I was pretty much able to open my own stores and preceed to blow everything up uncontested. In the end the score was something like 200, -50, -100 and not a single nuke hit my soil.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: Monday, October 02, 2006, 10:27:58 PM »
I managed to get the strategy to work again. This time vs 5 computer AIs.

You can probably tell that I wasn't able to get all my nukes across in time. I still won by a large margin, but if you're not careful going with this sort of strategy you're going to end up with the game ending and only a few good hits. I hate taking the risk of taking the AA guns offline, but I have to push myself and just open up at some point.

Has anyone had any luck firing nukes at navel targets?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Monday, October 02, 2006, 10:35:35 PM »
Crazy.  I still suck.  I can win by a large margin sometimes, but it's always dumb luck at this point.  I have little strategy to speak of.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, October 03, 2006, 06:39:16 AM »
Is there a way to choose which country you play as?

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, October 03, 2006, 02:00:37 PM »
Yeah. In the game setup window you can just click where you want to be on the little mini-map.