Author Topic: Any Megaman fans?  (Read 2718 times)

Offline PyroMenace

Any Megaman fans?
« on: Tuesday, October 03, 2006, 01:58:37 AM »
I've played a bit back in the 8 bit era, I believe I played up to 3 and tried some others, then I really got into X on the SNES. However I have yet to beat one. Well anyway, I bought Megaman ZX for the DS and been having a good amount of fun with it. Graphically its a 2D sprite fest and animates very well, I dig. The award you get from defeating the boss characters give more than just a new weapon, they also give new abilities which allows access to other areas, oh and did I mention that instead of choosing your level and enemy, you play on a big mapped area, kinda like Metroid... though not as well laid out and there are some other gripes I have with it but I wont get into them now, anyway, its all quite neat. I plan on writing a review for it to add some content to the site, which means I must finish it, which will be the first Megaman I will have to conquer. This should prove interesting and hopefully not too frustrating, and so far from what I played this one is no exception to being challenging that the series is known for.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
Re: Any Megaman fans?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, October 03, 2006, 02:13:48 AM »
I have been a Megaman fan since Megaman 2 (which is still my favorite for the NES ones) when I was younger and have played all the ones for the NES and SNES since then(except for a couple of the more obscure Japanese only ones). Megaman Legends was an interesting series as well even though it wasn't a traditional Megaman game. The X series is awesome too, even when it came over to Playstation, X4 was probably my favorite of the X series.  I haven't played ZX or the GBA ones, but I would like to.  I have beaten a good chunk of the games and used to see how fast I could beat Megaman 2, since I had the levels and order of bosses down like clockwork.  I even actually own a Megaman 2 shirt, so yeah I'm a fan.  I have been hearing good things about ZX though from a couple of friends who own it, but I don't have a DS so I won't be playing it anytime soon, even though I want to.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, October 03, 2006, 06:31:45 AM »
I was a big fan when I was younger.  I beat 1-5 on the NES and then X, which I actually own a PC version of if you can believe it.  I haven't really played them much for years, though.  I still like them, just have so many other things to play.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, October 03, 2006, 06:37:35 AM »
The DS one sounds really cool, I like the idea of a big sprawling map.

I played Megaman religiously in the NES/SNES days.  When they moved the series over to PSX, though, I lost interest and haven't really played one since.  Megaman X and Megaman X2 were my favorites.

To this day, I can't get my friend's voice out of my head.  "Let's go fill up the subtanks, cmon!"  Meaning, of course, he wanted to go get the hadoken in Mega Man X.  It was actually quite disturbing how many things he favored "filling up the subtanks" over.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, October 03, 2006, 07:25:00 AM »
I discovered Megaman on the NES.  The first game I played was #3, which was awesome.  That made me track down #2, and I gobbled that one up too.  I didn't find the original until PC emulators, and boy is that one hard.  I'm glad I didn't find it first.  It might have turned me off to the series.  More recently, I've played Megaman Powered Up on the PSP.  That's a sweet game.  It's a remake of MM1 with 3D graphics, and a more sane difficulty setting (although you can also play in "original" mode).  Very nice for MM fans with PSPs.

I also tried the later series on 16-bit systems, but it wasn't the same.  I still like the originals the best.  Any and all of the 3D adventures (e.g., Rockman Dash) seem like a waste.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, October 03, 2006, 11:42:12 AM »
I love the Mega Man X series.  I have the X-X3 on the SNES, and I picked up the X Collection for the Gamecube, but I haven't really played it.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, October 03, 2006, 01:13:16 PM »
I've been a little tempted to check out the MMZ games for the GBA after I finish ZX, they are supposed to be pretty good. I've also been meaning to buy that Megaman X collection for the GCN. This game has sort of revived my interest into the series.

I know when I played X I defeated every boss character and got to this spider boss which was completely impossible. Cant even count how many times I tried but it was just ridiculous.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, October 03, 2006, 01:53:48 PM »
How can you not be a Mega Man fan?

I started with MM2 and went back to MM1 back then. I was a pretty loyal follower through MM4 and managed to play through MMX1 and MMX4. When those aniverary packs came out a year or two ago I made sure to pick up both and have managed to play through a couple of the games.

MM2 is probably my favorite out of the bunch, but for mostly asthetic reasons. The music is still one of my favorite game soundtracks and the bosses are all pretty great.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, October 03, 2006, 02:22:19 PM »
I think Megaman is a big part of gaming history! Specifically Capcom's history. Iwas always aware ofMegaman back in the NES days, but I had never really gotten into it, I was more of a Contra fan. I didn't really appreciate Megaman until the X series. My favourite on the SNES was X3.. The most recent one I played was X8, and it was pretty good (I think it was released on both PC and PS2). It was still a platformer just like its predecessors, but everything was in 3D.

My favourite Megaman game is definitely Megaman Zero on the GBA. I loved it. It started out tough, but once I got the hang of it, I really enjoyed it. It even had a pretty good story! Besides Zero kicks ass, I've always liked him more than X :P

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, October 03, 2006, 06:00:18 PM »
I always thought Zero was a tool.

But yeah, MM3 may or may not have been my first, because I played MM2 pretty much exactly the same time.  I was still renting games as a kid back then.  Either way, I did MM1 after that, which I loved and hated for its difficulty (though I did manage to beat it).  Then I played 4 quite a bit later, and that one I really liked, though parts of it were a bit tough too.  Then I played 5, but that was a long time later, and for some reason it didn't stick with me.  I don't remember it at all.

I think overall MM2 and MM3 are my favorites, which 2 probably just a bit in the lead.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野