Author Topic: Burnout Paradise on the 360. Pure crack.  (Read 14929 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: Burnout Paradise on the 360. Pure crack.
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday, February 11, 2009, 05:53:13 PM »
X, what's the PC version's DRM?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday, February 11, 2009, 05:59:24 PM »
If I could change one thing, it would be to shut DJ Atomica the fuck up.
I don't mind him so much so far but I can imagine him getting annoying after a while. I'm just grateful he's not as irritating as the FIFA Street commentator. Luckily you can at least switch that one off!

Hmm, come to think of it, I'm not sure why there's no option to control his volume or even just switch him on/off. I can control SFX, music, and VOIP volumes as well as input/output. Kind of an unreasonable oversight considering all the other audio options.

It never really occurred to me what the DRM was since it was seemingly unintrusive! I know it's SecuROM but it's not the online activation one that EA has been forcefeeding into their other titles. It's just a disc check.

By default the game wants you to create an online EA account to log on to the Criterion Burnout Store/hub but I'm pretty sure that's optional and there's an offline mode. Since I already have an online EA account (dating back to earlier NFS days) I just logged on. I think this may be the primary cause for the automatic store/hub page when I load up the game. I wish I could just straight to the main menu.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday, February 11, 2009, 06:15:03 PM »
It never really occurred to me what the DRM was since it was seemingly unintrusive! I know it's SecuROM but it's not the online activation one that EA has been forcefeeding into their other titles. It's just a disc check.
About time they got a clue.

By default the game wants you to create an online EA account to log on to the Criterion Burnout Store/hub but I'm pretty sure that's optional and there's an offline mode. Since I already have an online EA account (dating back to earlier NFS days) I just logged on. I think this may be the primary cause for the automatic store/hub page when I load up the game. I wish I could just straight to the main menu.
Interesting.

I still got my EA Online account I think that dates back to when I played The Sims and the original Black & White.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday, February 11, 2009, 06:19:13 PM »
I don't know why people hate him so much.  He's totally ignorable and occasionally says interesting stuff, at least if you've been playing it for a long time and have been gradually getting new comments from him as time goes by.  He mentions contests, people, sometimes stuff they talk about in the Criterion podcast (which when I last listened to it, just after the game's release, was actually thoroughly interesting), and some other junk.  *Shrug*

And yeah Cobra, everything so far is free with exception of the party pack.  I believe their next big DLC, which is an extra island full of just... well, more area to drive around in, will also probably cost $10 or so.  That's one I'll end up getting, I think.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday, February 11, 2009, 06:48:39 PM »
There's rumors of a Cops and Robbers pack.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday, February 11, 2009, 08:02:39 PM »
That would be wicked awesome.  Glory days of NFS before they fucked it up.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #46 on: Thursday, February 12, 2009, 05:23:34 AM »
According to the Criterion website's Coming Soon section the upcoming bonuses will be:

Boost Specials
Legendary Cars
Toy Cars
Big Surf Island

Should be pretty interesting.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: Thursday, February 12, 2009, 08:49:50 PM »
I got this a couple days ago but haven't had a chance to install it, let alone play it.  I loved BO3, and fully look forward to this.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday, March 11, 2009, 12:21:48 AM »
According to the Criterion website's Coming Soon section the upcoming bonuses will be:

Boost Specials
Legendary Cars
Toy Cars
Big Surf Island

Should be pretty interesting.

Legendary Cars have been out for a while, and the Toy Cars were released last Thursday.  The interesting thing about all of these is that they're in the 800+ MB update to Version 1.7.  You can look at them in the junkyard, but you can't use them.  So paying for them merely unlocks them.  This also means that players who haven't paid can see them being used in multiplayer (since the cars are already in their hard drives).  They're charging $2 (160 p) each, or $12.50 (1000 p) for the whole collection of 9 (including a toy bike).  The link goes to the video podcast, which is all about them.  I'm curious, but not enough to buy pay for anything just yet.  It bugs me that they were dumped into my small drive without any real choice, but can't use them without this microtransaction bullshit.

The real good news is the whole new bikes component, which is free.  You get 4 bikes, one to start.  (I got the 2nd right away, I'm guessing because I've already played the game to death.)  These are a lot of fun, and bypass the hit-or-miss powerslide mechanic of the cars (which I've described as God taking away your car and replacing it with a completely different one that looks the same, when you even breathe on the brake pedal).  They are way easier to control, and have huge amounts of grip, speed and acceleration.  So it makes sense that their events are entirely separate from the original game.  I'd say there's 4-5 new hours of solo gameplay here, plus all the new associated multiplayer.

Good stuff on the whole.  I may buckle under and pay for a couple of the toy cars out of curiosity.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday, March 11, 2009, 06:10:45 AM »
I hate microtransactions, and frankly, they're asking way too much for some cars.  We already have tons of cars in the game.  Who cares if there are a few more to choose from?  It's not like there's a dearth of them now.  I really love the game and what Criterion has done with it, and I'm very much looking forward to the new island, but all this nickle and dime stuff puts me in a sour mood.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday, March 11, 2009, 06:26:12 AM »
Yea this really doesn't sit well with me. Let's hope they don't go to an extreme in the future.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday, March 11, 2009, 06:29:36 AM »
I don't think they will.  They've shown, at least, a willingness to provide a variety of different content, and hopefully the most popular stuff will end up being the more substantial packages.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday, June 24, 2009, 01:45:32 PM »
Just bought this for the PS3. $20, not bad.

Before I can play, though I have 7 downloads. 750mb, 350mb, 35mb, and now I'm on a 250mb download with 3 to go. What the fuck? These downloads are massive.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday, June 24, 2009, 01:53:33 PM »
What do you mean "before you can play"?  You mean online?  They did some patching, and there are several add-ons now.  One of them at least is free.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday, June 24, 2009, 03:20:15 PM »
Yeah, they added a bunch of content apparently. I'm not complaining anymore. The bikes are nuts. :D

This game is a blast so far. I love the sense of speed. I kind of wish that cars were upgradable (as far as parts) but there seem to be a ton of cars to choose from, so that negates it somewhat.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday, June 24, 2009, 04:16:53 PM »
I got this game awhile ago.  It was fun but I don't know if I'd describe it as being like crack.  I wish there were more race end points than the five they give you.  It kind of gets old after awhile.  I try to avoid races now and just do whatever the smash-em-up one is.  "Road Rage"?

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #56 on: Friday, June 26, 2009, 07:39:08 PM »
I can't stop playing this fucking game. It's great. I read through this thread and they must have fixed some of the problems that people were having with the game. There's a "restart last race" option now when you press right on the d-pad, which is quite handy. Also I was able to turn of DJ Dipshit through the sound options (voice volume, I think).

I do wish that there was a difficulty option, though. The only difficult part of the game (at least up to the Class A license) seems to be making sure that you go the right way. Often I find myself taking a crucial juncture the wrong way because I'm going 8000mph and trying to avoid the morons who slow down as I get closer.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #57 on: Friday, June 26, 2009, 09:08:05 PM »
I think they really expect you to come at the game with the intention of learning the ins and outs of the road.  That's the impression I got from all the material they released early on, and their podcasts, etc.  What separates the men from the boys online is often pure road knowledge, and it takes time to build that up.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #58 on: Friday, June 26, 2009, 09:09:44 PM »
I guess the knowledge can be had.  I knew my way around Liberty City in GTAIII very well.  BP just seems overall less interesting to me and I don't really care to learn the roads.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #59 on: Sunday, November 22, 2009, 04:12:00 PM »
So I don't know if anybody has tried the Big Surf Island DLC for this, but I finally got around to picking it up.  Man, what fun!  It's really quite small, initially almost alarmingly so, until you realize you have more opportunities to go offroad and it's also built rather vertically, with lots of stuff you can sort of climb and then fly off of and such.  Parking garages and the like.  It feels quite a bit more open and fluid than the stock game, which is nice, and it meshes very well with the rest of it.  Comes with a free car which is a fun stunt-focused dune buggy, and you get a new license while on "vacation" when you drive over the bridge to the new content.  It's got new jumps, new smashthroughs, new billboards to break, I think 8 cars to unlock, and of course a number of events.  Your mileage will certainly vary depending on how you play this game, as there isn't a metric crapton of new content, but I spent several hours yesterday just tooling around and having fun trying new things and seeing what I could find, doing a few races, etc., and I'm nowhere near "done" with it.  It's definitely worth twelve bucks if you liked what the first game offers.  It also helps that it's a bit more extreme, so it ups the ante as far as some of the big jumps and stuff go (they call them "mega jumps" rather than super jumps, heh).

Definitely a good time.  Check it out if you've not done so.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #60 on: Sunday, November 22, 2009, 09:54:50 PM »
I've had this game for PC for, well, ever basically and it's awesome.  For whatever reason though, I just haven't gotten anywhere in it.  I'll play it for  a night and love it yet not go back for weeks/months.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #61 on: Sunday, November 22, 2009, 10:02:16 PM »
I've had this game for PC for, well, ever basically and it's awesome.  For whatever reason though, I just haven't gotten anywhere in it.  I'll play it for  a night and love it yet not go back for weeks/months.

But, you still go back, even if it's weeks or months down the line - and that's the mark of a game w/ staying power.

Most games, yeah - if I finish it and try to replay it, I just can't seem to go back to it...

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #62 on: Sunday, November 22, 2009, 11:48:11 PM »
In a completely unexpected turn of events, I tried to join Ques online game of Burnout and...it worked. Nearly flawlessly, only a few times did I ever notice any lag and we even used Teamspeak and were voice chatting as we played. It was crazy fun.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #63 on: Sunday, November 22, 2009, 11:51:39 PM »
Crazy fun indeed.  I had some fun online with random people, but so much better to have a buddy with you.  They even have coop-specific challenges and stuff.

And yeah, this is a game you can put down for long stretches of time and then pick up again and have a blast with.  I really like that about it.  I almost never play it for more than maybe 2 or 3 days in a row, at most.  Usually only a day or two.  But a month later I'll play it for a couple days and just have great fun again.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #64 on: Monday, November 23, 2009, 01:54:36 AM »
Hmmmmm....PC or console?

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #65 on: Monday, November 23, 2009, 07:35:46 AM »
PS3.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #66 on: Monday, November 23, 2009, 08:02:29 AM »
We have it on PS3.  I think Idol tried the PC demo, though.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #67 on: Monday, November 23, 2009, 10:13:15 AM »
I never bought the full game on PC because I didnt like the activation thing EA was doing.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #68 on: Wednesday, November 25, 2009, 06:04:57 PM »
I'm going nuts here. Ive got like 3 events, 5 billboards, 4 smashes, 5 jumps left to find. So close...but they are going to be tricky to track down. You would think the events would be simple enough to find the last ones, but unlike what the promo says not every intersection is an event. Ive found several that have nothing on them.

Got my Burnout license, and still have like 30 cars to unlock.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #69 on: Wednesday, November 25, 2009, 07:12:50 PM »
Guess I'm the only guy rocking it on 360 here then?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #70 on: Wednesday, November 25, 2009, 09:13:06 PM »
Other than Cobra, who started the thread in the first place, I think so.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #71 on: Thursday, November 26, 2009, 09:42:34 AM »
Definitely the one negative of games being multi-platform.

Seems like all the games I'd be able to play with you guys are on the wrong system.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #72 on: Thursday, November 26, 2009, 09:50:27 AM »
Well, you must by now know well enough my reasons for avoiding the 360, most especially when it comes to multiplayer stuff.  I just don't play frequently enough for it to be worth paying money for (nor am I the kind of dude to pay for stuff he can get for free).  It's a shame the games can't interconnect regardless of platform, though.  It's definitely been a little bit of a frustration over the years since the 360 is more popular but I do heavily defer to the PS3 in my purchasing decisions.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #73 on: Thursday, November 26, 2009, 09:55:28 AM »
It's headed that way for me too, I think.  Developers have really started to close the gap to the point to where the PS3 is starting to be the superior version of the two.

If I get Dragon Age on a console, it's definitely going to be the PS3 version

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #74 on: Thursday, November 26, 2009, 10:00:54 AM »
Yeah, that seems like the right choice for that one.  From everything I've seen it's the superior version.  Do check on the PC system requires if you can, though.  Maybe even visit the Magical Underworld Store™ to grab it just to see how it runs for you, because if you can run it, it's easily the best version of the 3.  Don't see that as often nowadays, but that one was really made for the PC.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #75 on: Thursday, November 26, 2009, 10:07:15 AM »
My video card meets the minimum requirements for Vista (Geforce 7800GT).

I'm trying to hold out on an upgrade until Diablo 3.  Don't know how realistic that is.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #76 on: Thursday, November 26, 2009, 10:27:18 AM »
It's headed that way for me too, I think.  Developers have really started to close the gap to the point to where the PS3 is starting to be the superior version of the two.

If I get Dragon Age on a console, it's definitely going to be the PS3 version

In this case, the PS3 was the lead development platform.  It makes the most sense if you know you're developing for both consoles up front.  It paid off here.  Both versions are stellar.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #77 on: Thursday, November 26, 2009, 10:39:38 AM »
Get a ATi Radeon 4770 if you want the best bang for your buck.

Video cards are ridiculously overpowered at the moment. My very old 8800GTX can run everything at max. settings on a 24'' LCD, and a Radeon 4770 is about 30-40% faster.

The 4770 is essentially the great 4870 on a smaller manufacturing process. Basically, it is kinda like what the Jasper 360 chip is to the Xbox 360. The card is efficient in terms of power and temperature, and is fairly cheap. I mean if it can crunch any game (incl. Crysis) on a 1920x1080 (1080p) resolution, then what else do you need right?

The new Radeon 5870 cards are amazing and blast away anything thrice as fast as the 4870 cards. Unfortunately there aren't any games out their to tax them. I mean when the 4770 is enough, why spend the $300+ on a 5870?

Here is the card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150369&cm_re=4770-_-14-150-369-_-Product

It is just over $100, and I don't see anything on the horizon that will tax it. I mean, for a $100, why not, right?

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #78 on: Thursday, November 26, 2009, 04:54:50 PM »
Ugh, I just got to the annoying level of difficulty. Just unlocked the Watson 25 V16 Revenge and am trying to do the burning route. There is almost no room for error and you have to boost practically the entire way...and its a speed car. I HATE speed cars. You look at a bump in the road funny and you wreck. If you wreck it takes away some of your boost. If you stop boosting you have to do "stuff" before you can boost again. So basically you wreck once and you'll never recover from it to finish the event in time, and you can't stop boosting because then you have to wait to boost again. Must have restarted the race 15 times.

With the speed requirement, the random traffic, the long distance....the skill needed to beat it is not something I will find enjoyable to master.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #79 on: Thursday, November 26, 2009, 08:46:47 PM »
Well, that makes sense for one of the last things available to do in the game, yeah?