Author Topic: zero punctuation: COD4  (Read 2732 times)

Offline beo

• Veteran
zero punctuation: COD4
« on: Thursday, February 07, 2008, 05:30:33 AM »
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/zeropunctuation/2901-Zero-Punctuation-Call-of-Duty-4

i think he hits it pretty much on the money here. and get this D - he loves the game and doens't even mention the multiplayer.... isn't that strange?

also not really worth noting, because it's only interesting to me, but winchester cathedral (as mentioned in the review) is about 200 meters from where i live and i can see it out my window right now. it makes me feel almost famous that somebody, somewhere recognises that my tiny little tourist-trap of a city exists.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: zero punctuation: COD4
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, February 07, 2008, 06:21:53 AM »
You are trying to get D to change his opinion? You have a better chance of getting the sun to rise from the west, or Que to stop roleplaying as a furry goat.
« Last Edit: Thursday, February 07, 2008, 07:17:00 AM by Pugnate »

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, February 07, 2008, 06:59:56 AM »
haha, no. i just want to gently mock, that is all.

i did love the fact that he didn't mention game length or the apparent focus on multiplayer in this review - which seemed to be the two biggest sticking points here, AMONGST PEOPLE WHO HADN'T EVEN PLAYED THE FUCKING GAME. ahem.

for the record, i skipped it at first (stupidly based on these arguements) and recently borrowed it off of my housemate. i can honestly say that it's one of the best shooters i've ever played. it's really not all that short, at least the same length as either of the GRAW titles - and all of it is superb. and yes the multiplayer is excellent, but to call it multiplayer focused is like calling a delicious steak meal, with dessert included, "dessert focussed". just because the chocolate gateux is extremely tastey, it's not going to detract from the flavour of that steak. ok, metaphores aren't my strong point, but my point is that that end of the arguement is utterly retarded.

anyway, i think we've had this discussion already... just wanted to sound off now that i've played it.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, February 07, 2008, 07:10:47 AM »
You know I played HL1 recently. I had never finished it, so I decided to go back and finish it because I owed myself as a PC gamer. And after laughing at the graphics, I kinda got lost in the excellent level design. Umm... anyway the point of telling you all this is, is that when I finally finished it, my mind was screaming,"OH GOD WHY IS THIS SO LONG?" Not to say that I didn't enjoy it, and wasn't satisfied, but I can understand why people stopped finishing games.

I don't know why, I find games at around 8-10 hours to be the perfect length. There are some exceptions to this, like Crysis or Deus Ex, where the 12 hours felt short. But, yea, less is more, especially in shooters that just are pasting the same areas.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, February 07, 2008, 08:32:01 AM »
Funny, as usual.  Beo, I do want to play the game.  It's a matter of negotiating the price of admission.  At the moment, the seller won't budge.  Some people may think an evening at a superb concert is worth as much as a great tropical vacation for a week.  I'm not one of them.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, February 07, 2008, 09:00:29 AM »
yeah, i understand your point cobra. i wasn't going to bother either, until i got the chance to play it for free. since i have played it, i just think that the various comments about the games length are more than a little unwarranted. it's obviously just a personal opinion, so i don't expect everyone to feel the same way - but the game really did feel plenty long enough.

the thing i really couldn't stand about the previous argument (and something that always riles me), is so many people wading in with strong convictions about a product they haven't even experienced (just like the halo 3 thing) - hence why i stayed out of it at the time. it's all well and good commenting on something such as a perceived game length - and citing it as a reason why you wouldn't buy it, but just the levels of presumption and indignation by some pissed me right off.

anyway, i can see where this is going and i know i'm not helping. i'm perfectly happy to agree to disagree on this one...

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, February 07, 2008, 02:26:15 PM »
[Pointless argument about quality vs. quantity]

:D

While reading the last thread on the subject I thought the arguments were kind of like politics - both sides had valid points but there was no way anyone was going to change their mind.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, February 07, 2008, 02:55:53 PM »
Funny, as usual.  Beo, I do want to play the game.  It's a matter of negotiating the price of admission.  At the moment, the seller won't budge. 

Some people may think an evening at a superb concert is worth as much as a great tropical vacation for a week.  I'm not one of them.

I couldn't have said it any better.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, February 07, 2008, 08:07:58 PM »
I really do want to play the game in full.  It's definitely not that I don't want to play it... it looks awesome.  But still, you can say the shortness argument is exaggerated, but it isn't.  The game is fucking short, end of story.  Maybe it's cool enough to play twice, but not for the full price since I know for sure I won't play it back-to-back.  So maybe when it gets cheap... but that price is just way, way too much to ask.

But yeah, I still really want to play it.  I know I don't give a fuck about Halo 3, but I do think that I'd really like CoD4, even if not quite as much as some.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, February 07, 2008, 10:03:36 PM »
BTW, I have to say, that while I still enjoy Yahtzee's reviews, I don't quite laugh anymore. I mean I still enjoy them, and I think he provides good insight -- at least better than the countless drones "working" at other gaming sites. But yea, who knew penis and hooker jokes had a shelf life? :)

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, February 07, 2008, 10:05:48 PM »
BTW, I have to say, that while I still enjoy Yahtzee's reviews, I don't quite laugh anymore. I mean I still enjoy them, and I think he provides good insight -- at least better than the countless drones "working" at other gaming sites. But yea, who knew penis and hooker jokes had a shelf life? :)

they don't, you're just getting old. fuck you grandpa.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, February 07, 2008, 10:14:23 PM »
Go ummm... have sex with a dead hooker, and a horse's penis!

And don't call me grandpa. Now I am going to go reminisce with Cobra. Hey Cobra, remember when they created electricity? That was some good shit, wasn't it?

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, February 07, 2008, 10:44:23 PM »
Yeah, I enjoyed that.  But those damn locomotives scared the HELL out of me.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #13 on: Friday, February 08, 2008, 12:20:27 AM »
Well, price of admission is $30.90 at GoGamer right now for PC, $42.90 on 360.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #14 on: Friday, February 08, 2008, 12:31:12 AM »
Damn, that's tempting.  $30 is doable if the game is as awesome as everyone says.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #15 on: Friday, February 08, 2008, 01:29:09 AM »
It is almost as good as watching a cow make out with a goat.

Almost.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #16 on: Friday, February 08, 2008, 02:43:28 PM »
I would've bought CoD4 from Gogamer if that was Kane & Lynch's current price on there....
Or even quicker it was GRAW2's current price.

Or less. :P